Old 28-02-2014, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What exactly is 'home made'?

The other day, I posted a super simple recipe for steak sauce. 'Home Made'..
However, I used bottled wurster sauce, bottled ketchup and cider vinegar.
Is it truly home made? If it were truly home made then I would make the worcestershire sauce myself, as well as the ketchup, all made from garden ingredients. Also I put in some hot sauce(an ingredient which I omitted when I posted the recipe)which is also bottled.
If I add mustard, should I make mustard from mustard seed which I purchased?
etc.
Where do you draw the line?

Old 28-02-2014, 05:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:51:17 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
wrote:

The other day, I posted a super simple recipe for steak sauce. 'Home Made'.
However, I used bottled wurster sauce, bottled ketchup and cider vinegar.
Is it truly home made? If it were truly home made then I would make the worcestershire sauce myself, as well as the ketchup, all made from garden ingredients. Also I put in some hot sauce(an ingredient which I omitted when I posted the recipe)which is also bottled.
If I add mustard, should I make mustard from mustard seed which I purchased?
etc.
Where do you draw the line?

If I have to put ingredients together to make something else, it's
home made. If I can open a jar, can or frozen food, heat and eat
without fussing around then it's not home made. Feel better now?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Old 28-02-2014, 05:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

The other day, I posted a super simple recipe for steak sauce. 'Home Made'.
However, I used bottled wurster sauce, bottled ketchup and cider vinegar.
Is it truly home made? If it were truly home made then I would make the worcestershire sauce myself, as well as the ketchup, all made from garden ingredients. Also I put in some hot sauce(an ingredient which I omitted when I posted the recipe)which is also bottled.
If I add mustard, should I make mustard from mustard seed which I purchased?
etc.
Where do you draw the line?

Well, first you kill a beast then harvest some vegetables
(hunter/gatherer style!) then brings them all inside (or not?) and
make a stew!

Next question?

John Kuthe...
Old 28-02-2014, 05:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, February 28, 2014 12:39:37 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:

Well, first you kill a beast then harvest some vegetables
(hunter/gatherer style!) then brings them all inside (or not?) and
make a stew!
John Kuthe...

Isn't it easier to feed the vegetables to the beast so that you don't have to
cook them separately in the stew?
Old 28-02-2014, 05:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

The other day, I posted a super simple recipe for steak sauce. 'Home Made'.
However, I used bottled wurster sauce, bottled ketchup and cider vinegar.
Is it truly home made? If it were truly home made then I would make the worcestershire sauce myself, as well as the ketchup, all made from garden ingredients. Also I put in some hot sauce(an ingredient which I omitted when I posted the recipe)which is also bottled.
If I add mustard, should I make mustard from mustard seed which I purchased?
etc.
Where do you draw the line?

Oh, man! Did you have to hit that hornet's nest with a club? Run!!!
Janet US

Old 28-02-2014, 06:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:47:07 -0800 (PST), Helpful person
wrote:

On Friday, February 28, 2014 12:39:37 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:

Well, first you kill a beast then harvest some vegetables
(hunter/gatherer style!) then brings them all inside (or not?) and
make a stew!
John Kuthe...

Isn't it easier to feed the vegetables to the beast so that you don't have to
cook them separately in the stew?

Beast turns the vegetables into meat. I suppose it's OK if you prefer
to eat meat only.

John Kuthe...
Old 28-02-2014, 07:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
Helpful person wrote:
John Kuthe wrote:

Well, first you kill a beast then harvest some vegetables
(hunter/gatherer style!) then brings them all inside (or not?) and
make a stew!

Isn't it easier to feed the vegetables to the beast so that you don't have to
cook them separately in the stew?

Beast turns the vegetables into meat. I suppose it's OK if you prefer
to eat meat only.

Um, Helpful intended to eat the beast's excrement.
Old 28-02-2014, 08:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

wrote:

The other day, I posted a super simple recipe for steak sauce. 'Home Made'.
However, I used bottled wurster sauce, bottled ketchup and cider vinegar.
Is it truly home made? If it were truly home made then I would make
the worcestershire sauce myself, as well as the ketchup, all made from
garden ingredients. Also I put in some hot sauce(an ingredient which I
omitted when I posted the recipe)which is also bottled.
If I add mustard, should I make mustard from mustard seed which I purchased?
etc.
Where do you draw the line?

If it's an abstraction, who cares where the abstract borders lie?

I figure if I should or want to take credit for a dish, a sauce, or
some such, I'll call it home made. If I sprinkle or pour something over
a purchased pot-pie, or canned/frozen food, I wouldn't call that home
made. If I made a pie in a store-bought shell, I'd call it home made,
no matter what the hell was in it.

If I made a made a packaged dinner, like a pilaf mix or falafel I
wouldn't call it home made, but I would call it home *cooking*.
Actually I don't think I really use the phrase "home made" it seems to
have lost its meaning unless it's like a quenelle or something. Or
perhaps to distinguish it from the obvious alternative: "home made"
yogurt, or "home made fried chicken.

Actually I think finely mincing such terms is kind of a semantic game,
rather than a cooking thing. Doesn't everybody?

Old 28-02-2014, 08:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 14:58:40 -0500, Brooklyn1
wrote:

John Kuthe wrote:
Helpful person wrote:
John Kuthe wrote:

Well, first you kill a beast then harvest some vegetables
(hunter/gatherer style!) then brings them all inside (or not?) and
make a stew!

Isn't it easier to feed the vegetables to the beast so that you don't have to
cook them separately in the stew?

Beast turns the vegetables into meat. I suppose it's OK if you prefer
to eat meat only.

Um, Helpful intended to eat the beast's excrement.

Um, no!! Not much. It's all been digested once, and probably has most
of the nutrients gone at that point.

That was the part of Human Centipede which blew my willing suspension
of disbelief! A doctor shouold now that would never work! The latter
grafed humans' bodies would never receive sufficient nutrition!!
Should have had an evil NURSE as his assistant! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Old 28-02-2014, 08:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

How come this post is under my post and not the Moose'? Is that a flaw
of my newsreader?

John Kuthe...

Old 28-02-2014, 08:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Probably. I prefer to cook all our food from scratch but that doesn't make
it better, just different preferences really.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 28-02-2014, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-28 3:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Actually I think finely mincing such terms is kind of a semantic game,
rather than a cooking thing. Doesn't everybody?

Probably. I prefer to cook all our food from scratch but that doesn't
make it better, just different preferences really.

It probably is much better.... for most decent cooks. Some people
consider being able to stick something in the oven and heating it up to
be home cooking. Some people consider throwing a bunch or processed
components together and cooking it to be home cooking. Some figure that
is has to be all made from basic ingredients to be cooked.

Take lasagne as an example. A lot of people buy them pre made and
frozen at the grocery store, while others might before the to be from a
higher quality supplier. Others will assemble them at home, opening up
cans of pasta sauce and packs of grated cardboard cheese, maybe actually
frying the meat that goes into the sauce.

Others will make the sauce from scratch.....note that jarred or canned
tomatoes are preserved foods which IMO count as home cooking. I also
consider dried pasta as a valid component to home cooking.

At any rate.... there is a line in there somewhere.

Old 28-02-2014, 08:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

wrote:

The other day, I posted a super simple recipe for steak sauce. 'Home Made'.
However, I used bottled wurster sauce, bottled ketchup and cider vinegar.

[...]

Actually I think finely mincing such terms is kind of a semantic game,
rather than a cooking thing. Doesn't everybody?

How come this post is under my post and not the Moose'? Is that a flaw
of my newsreader?

John Kuthe...

Maybe, maybe not. I stripped your response and header since I was
responding to post you responded to. Different Newsreaders handle this
differently.

Old 28-02-2014, 09:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-28 3:19 PM, Ophelia wrote:

Actually I think finely mincing such terms is kind of a semantic game,
rather than a cooking thing. Doesn't everybody?

Probably. I prefer to cook all our food from scratch but that doesn't
make it better, just different preferences really.

It probably is much better.... for most decent cooks. Some people
consider being able to stick something in the oven and heating it up to
be home cooking. Some people consider throwing a bunch or processed
components together and cooking it to be home cooking.

Good point: Better to let them call it what they like and encourage
their growth.

Take lasagne as an example. A lot of people buy them pre made and
frozen at the grocery store, while others might before the to be from a
higher quality supplier. Others will assemble them at home, opening
up cans of pasta sauce and packs of grated cardboard cheese, maybe
actually frying the meat that goes into the sauce.

A better example might be a pasta dish. If you dump a jar of marinara
over a pasta you cooked your self, is it "home made"? It's certainly
not "made from scratch" the phrase Ophelia used--which is a pretty
exacting phrase.

Because the time, cost and labor for making home-made tomato sauce is
vastly greater than buying a decent jar of such sauce we've been buying
lots of different kinds in the hopes of find one we like to doctor. We
saute our own onions, maybe some garlic, italian sausage (which we
didn't make), and recently threw in grilled eggplant. We say "I cooked
dinner" or "I made the spaghetti" I don't know that we'd call it
home-made, though it generaly is. Again, I don't call it anything,
because the issue is irrelevant to me. It's made the way I like,
seasoned the way I like, and satisfying the way I like it.

Others will make the sauce from scratch.....note that jarred or canned
tomatoes are preserved foods which IMO count as home cooking. I also
consider dried pasta as a valid component to home cooking.

At any rate.... there is a line in there somewhere.

It's a different line for everyone, and probably meaningless to everybody else.

Old 28-02-2014, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

The other day, I posted a super simple recipe for steak sauce. 'Home Made'.

However, I used bottled wurster sauce, bottled ketchup and cider vinegar.

Home made pickles Paul M. Cook General Cooking 9 22-08-2009 08:21 PM
Authentic Home-made lagringapoblana Mexican Cooking 0 08-08-2009 03:58 PM
Home-made Proof Box? Tapper Baking 27 05-04-2005 06:53 PM
Home Made Pop? Gregor Winemaking 11 06-02-2005 03:47 AM
Home Made Soy Yogurt ? Hip Mama Vegetarian cooking 0 29-02-2004 11:58 PM