Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Working on a nice Fruit Snack before bed time!

1/2 a cantaloupe, peeled and diced, an avocado and several large strawberries now warming gently..they are ready! :-)

BRB...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 10:00:31 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> 1/2 a cantaloupe, peeled and diced, an avocado and several large strawberries now warming gently..they are ready! :-)
>
> BRB...

Do you not care for chilled or at least room temperature fruit? I can't imagine
downing a warm avocado or strawberries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 9:44:17 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-01-11 7:51 a.m., songbird wrote:
> > wrote:

> >> Do you not care for chilled or at least room temperature fruit? I can't imagine
> >> downing a warm avocado or strawberries.

> > it isn't uncommon here for us to leave out a bowl of melon
> > or other fruit so it will get closer to room temperature before
> > eating and i've microwaved some to warm it up a bit. i also do
> > that with salads here or there if i don't want a cold meal.

> I eat a lot of fruit and most of it is eaten warm.... especially melon.

Warmed is best! Like on a sunny Summer Day!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 10:44:17 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2021-01-11 7:51 a.m., songbird wrote:
> > wrote:

> >> Do you not care for chilled or at least room temperature fruit? I can't imagine
> >> downing a warm avocado or strawberries.

> > it isn't uncommon here for us to leave out a bowl of melon
> > or other fruit so it will get closer to room temperature before
> > eating and i've microwaved some to warm it up a bit. i also do
> > that with salads here or there if i don't want a cold meal.

> I eat a lot of fruit and most of it is eaten warm.... especially melon.

I don't eat much fruit. Raisins in my oatmeal are warm. Prunes are room temp.
Apples are room temp on weekdays and fridge temp on weekends.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:48:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 1/11/2021 7:51 AM, songbird wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> Do you not care for chilled or at least room temperature fruit? I can't imagine
>>> downing a warm avocado or strawberries.

>> it isn't uncommon here for us to leave out a bowl of melon
>> or other fruit so it will get closer to room temperature before
>> eating and i've microwaved some to warm it up a bit. i also do
>> that with salads here or there if i don't want a cold meal.
>>
>> i'm the opposite with cheeses, i don't often like them melted
>> or warmed up nearly as much as i like them cooler or cold. warmed
>> up cheese seems to lose almost all the flavor and texture i like.
>> which is perhaps why i like cold pizza or other similar dishes
>> more than i like them hot.
>>

>> songbird
>>

> Most cheese have more flavor as they near room temperature, Watermelon
> aside, room temperature fruit is good.
>
> Warmed strawberries may be OK with a chocolate sauce or the like.

Asked for cheese once in a restaurant and the waiter said that as they
couldn't keep the cheeses at room temperature, a health code rule, they
didn't serve them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 08:26:45 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 10:44:17 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > it isn't uncommon here for us to leave out a bowl of melon
>> > or other fruit so it will get closer to room temperature before
>> > eating and i've microwaved some to warm it up a bit. i also do
>> > that with salads here or there if i don't want a cold meal.

>> I eat a lot of fruit and most of it is eaten warm.... especially melon.

>I don't eat much fruit. Raisins in my oatmeal are warm. Prunes are room temp.
>Apples are room temp on weekdays and fridge temp on weekends.

I like mangoes out of the fridge. I've never warmed up fruit unless it
was part of something baked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-11 12:28 p.m., Graham wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:48:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Most cheese have more flavor as they near room temperature, Watermelon
>> aside, room temperature fruit is good.
>>
>> Warmed strawberries may be OK with a chocolate sauce or the like.

> Asked for cheese once in a restaurant and the waiter said that as they
> couldn't keep the cheeses at room temperature, a health code rule, they
> didn't serve them.

Maybe the airlines should have thought about that when they tried to
serve cold Camembert to one of our entitled senators, forcing her to
claim an extra breakfast on her expense account.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2021 12:28 PM, Graham wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:48:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> it isn't uncommon here for us to leave out a bowl of melon
>>> or other fruit so it will get closer to room temperature before
>>> eating and i've microwaved some to warm it up a bit. i also do
>>> that with salads here or there if i don't want a cold meal.
>>>
>>> i'm the opposite with cheeses, i don't often like them melted
>>> or warmed up nearly as much as i like them cooler or cold. warmed
>>> up cheese seems to lose almost all the flavor and texture i like.
>>> which is perhaps why i like cold pizza or other similar dishes
>>> more than i like them hot.
>>>

>>> songbird
>>>

>> Most cheese have more flavor as they near room temperature, Watermelon
>> aside, room temperature fruit is good.
>>
>> Warmed strawberries may be OK with a chocolate sauce or the like.

> Asked for cheese once in a restaurant and the waiter said that as they
> couldn't keep the cheeses at room temperature, a health code rule, they
> didn't serve them.

I can understand the storage, but serving? It does warm up. The waiter
could always put it under his arm on the way tot he table to bring up
the temperature to add flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 11:44:44 AM UTC-6, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 08:26:45 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> I eat a lot of fruit and most of it is eaten warm.... especially melon..

> >I don't eat much fruit. Raisins in my oatmeal are warm. Prunes are room temp.
> >Apples are room temp on weekdays and fridge temp on weekends.

> I like mangoes out of the fridge. I've never warmed up fruit unless it
> was part of something baked.

I store most of my fruit at room temp like apples and mangoes and only put in the refrigerator stuff like strawberries, etc. And I normally warm my mangoes slightly on Defrost in the microwave before eating. Nothing like a body temp mango! "Her lips were like a warm mango" is a phrase I saw a man on TV say years ago! :-)

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/11/2021 12:28 PM, Graham wrote:

>>> Most cheese have more flavor as they near room temperature,
>>> Watermelon
>>> aside, room temperature fruit is good.
>>>
>>> Warmed strawberries may be OK with a chocolate sauce or the like.

>> Asked for cheese once in a restaurant and the waiter said that as
>> they
>> couldn't keep the cheeses at room temperature, a health code
>> rule, they
>> didn't serve them.
>>

> I can understand the storage, but serving?* It does warm up.* The
> waiter could always put it under his arm on the way tot he table to
> bring up the temperature to add flavor.

Why not, most of the cooks press hamburger patties that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 6:37:56 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> Warm tropical fruit is a very weird thing (to me).
>
> Jill

Me, too. And mango has that 'turpentine' hint in the taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 16:39:55 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 6:37:56 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>>
>> Warm tropical fruit is a very weird thing (to me).
>>
>> Jill
>>

>Me, too. And mango has that 'turpentine' hint in the taste.

We just went through a whole tray of Kensington mangoes. Very nice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> I love mangoes but my wife does not. It has a lot to do with a peeled
> and slice mango looking so much like peaches, which she loves. She says
> it is always a disappointment to find that they don't taste like peaches.

i love peaches, apricots, mangoes, and, well a lot of other
fruits besides, but we don't really get very good ones that
often. the best fruit i get here are the strawberries i grow
and the blueberries when they come in season, but this past
year the blueberries were really bad quality-wise. i think due
to the virus the pickers just weren't experienced or paid well
or whatever it was but they just were ick too much of the time.
we still ate them, but i had to work through the cartons a lot
to get the decent berries apart from the others that were in
bad shape. one carton was so bad it had fruit fly maggots in
it, but i got the apart and we ate what we could.

anyways, back to mangoes, yeah, i could eat a lot more of
them than i do now.

> I have been working on her over the last few months. A number of the
> heart healthy meals I have been making lately have mango, like the Thai
> themed chicken and mango salad, and the mango avocado salsa for salmon
> and trout.

nah, i'd have to do the salsa on the side as a chutney
instead. i don't really want those on the fish as it
would mask too much of the flavor of the fish.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 8:57:42 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> On 1/11/2021 7:39 PM, wrote:
> > On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 6:37:56 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> >>
> >> Warm tropical fruit is a very weird thing (to me).
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > Me, too. And mango has that 'turpentine' hint in the taste.
> >

> I've heard some interesting comparisons here in this group:
>
> - mango has that turpentine hint in the taste
> - cilantro tastes like soap

That's a genetic defect. Those who have it can't help themselves.

> - 'some food' (I forget which one) tastes like paint thinner

Sake tastes like hot paint thinner.

> - casseroles taste like ass

Things tend to taste the way they smell.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/01/2021 15:36, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 8:57:42 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

>> - cilantro tastes like soap

> That's a genetic defect. Those who have it can't help themselves.

Hmm. I prefer to call it a genetic 'difference', thankyouverymuch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021-01-12 12:33 a.m., songbird wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> I love mangoes but my wife does not. It has a lot to do with a peeled
>> and slice mango looking so much like peaches, which she loves. She says
>> it is always a disappointment to find that they don't taste like peaches.

> i love peaches, apricots, mangoes, and, well a lot of other
> fruits besides, but we don't really get very good ones that
> often. the best fruit i get here are the strawberries i grow
> and the blueberries when they come in season, but this past
> year the blueberries were really bad quality-wise.

I am spoiled in some ways. I live in a fruit belt and can get fresh
strawberries, raspberries, red or black currants, apricots, peaches,
sweet cherries, sour cherries, melons and more... in season. One produce
stand is within walking distance, and several are within bicycling
distance.

> anyways, back to mangoes, yeah, i could eat a lot more of
> them than i do now.

I envy people who have access to fresh mangoes. They are better and
cheaper here this year than they have been in the past. For a while they
were really expensive and either over ripe or under ripe or a
combination of the two, so I usually opted for frozen. The frozen was
never as good as the odd really good mango, but it was better than most,
and no waste and no work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Cilantro does taste like soap to me. Fortunately I don't cook food
> which requires cilantro.

it tastes like soap to me too, but i like the taste.

cardamom has a strange taste too, but some people like
it and others don't. i like it too.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:15:35 AM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, January 11, 2021 at 2:39:58 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> >
> > And mango has that 'turpentine' hint in the taste.

> The mango here during mango season are large and totally awesome. I think the smell comes from the tree sap. Some mango are strong with that taste and some are not. I can understand your disdain for it. I don't like that smell in olive oil.
> My parents have a tree at their house. One day, I'd like to build a tree house in that strange, low, tree.
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/z25ceZnwmLW8mycF6

Well, it certainly looks like it could support a tree house; nice spread of limbs
and low like it could support some weight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 10:40:44 AM UTC-5, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 12/01/2021 15:36, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 8:57:42 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> >> - cilantro tastes like soap

> > That's a genetic defect. Those who have it can't help themselves.
> >

> Hmm. I prefer to call it a genetic 'difference', thankyouverymuch.

If I had a genetic variant that prevented me from eating a perfectly good
herb, I'd call it a defect.

I'll admit, when I first tried cilantro it tasted soapy and not entirely pleasant.
But repeated exposure enabled me to enjoy the flavor. Clearly, I don't have
that variant or it would still taste bad to me.

And now I can enjoy foods made with cilantro. I often use sprigs of cilantro
in salads. Maybe 10-15% of the total leafage.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 11:07:23 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 10:40:44 AM UTC-5, S Viemeister wrote:

>> > That's a genetic defect. Those who have it can't help themselves.
>> >

>> Hmm. I prefer to call it a genetic 'difference', thankyouverymuch.

>If I had a genetic variant that prevented me from eating a perfectly good
>herb, I'd call it a defect.
>
>I'll admit, when I first tried cilantro it tasted soapy and not entirely pleasant.
>But repeated exposure enabled me to enjoy the flavor. Clearly, I don't have
>that variant or it would still taste bad to me.

You could also say that you have that variant or it would never have
tasted soapy to you. You just taught yourself to enjoy eating soap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 2:14:28 PM UTC-5, Master Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 11:07:23 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Hmm. I prefer to call it a genetic 'difference', thankyouverymuch.

> >If I had a genetic variant that prevented me from eating a perfectly good
> >herb, I'd call it a defect.
> >
> >I'll admit, when I first tried cilantro it tasted soapy and not entirely pleasant.
> >But repeated exposure enabled me to enjoy the flavor. Clearly, I don't have
> >that variant or it would still taste bad to me.

> You could also say that you have that variant or it would never have
> tasted soapy to you. You just taught yourself to enjoy eating soap.

As I understand it, for those with the variant, cilantro tastes as bad as
sticking a bar of soap in your mouth. My initial reaction was, "This is
a little like soap. I'm not sure I like it." But as with many unfamiliar tastes,
repetition and familiarity did the trick. I was the same way with beer. At
first it tasted bitter and funky, but I persevered. And this was watery
American beer, mind you.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 13:26:05 -0500, songbird wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>> Cilantro does taste like soap to me. Fortunately I don't cook food
>> which requires cilantro.

> it tastes like soap to me too, but i like the taste.
>
> cardamom has a strange taste too, but some people like
> it and others don't. i like it too.
>

> songbird

Then there's truffle. I adore the taste but some don't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2021 Jan 12, , Gary wrote
(in article >):

> I've heard some interesting comparisons here in this group:
>
> - mango has that turpentine hint in the taste
> - cilantro tastes like soap
> - 'some food' (I forget which one) tastes like paint thinner
> - casseroles taste like ass

And as someone who used to post here said more than once:

- beets taste like dirt

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/01/2021 05:47, Leo wrote:
> On 2021 Jan 12, , Gary wrote
> (in article >):
>
>> I've heard some interesting comparisons here in this group:
>>
>> - mango has that turpentine hint in the taste
>> - cilantro tastes like soap
>> - 'some food' (I forget which one) tastes like paint thinner
>> - casseroles taste like ass

> And as someone who used to post here said more than once:
>
> - beets taste like dirt

Yes, they do. It's a shame, because they look really pretty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leo" wrote in message
vidual.Net...

On 2021 Jan 12, , Gary wrote
(in article >):

> I've heard some interesting comparisons here in this group:
>
> - mango has that turpentine hint in the taste
> - cilantro tastes like soap
> - 'some food' (I forget which one) tastes like paint thinner
> - casseroles taste like ass

And as someone who used to post here said more than once:

- beets taste like dirt

===

I remember that )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leo wrote:
> And as someone who used to post here said more than once:
>
> - beets taste like dirt

that's ok with me too.

songbird

Daze OFF mean more when one is working full time! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 5 02-06-2020 01:50 AM
Fruit Snack! John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 15 21-06-2019 05:52 PM
OT Nice snack KenK General Cooking 10 11-01-2018 10:03 PM
Nice Snack gloria.p General Cooking 9 29-12-2011 05:34 PM