Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nice Snack

I made banana bread (James Beard's recipe) this AM with three small very
overripe bananas I was about to throw away. I just had the first slice,
spread with cream cheese, and a cup of Darjeeling tea. Mmmmmm.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:

>I made banana bread (James Beard's recipe) this AM with three small very
>overripe bananas I was about to throw away. I just had the first slice,
>spread with cream cheese, and a cup of Darjeeling tea. Mmmmmm.

Delicious fresh from the oven... nuts?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Banana Bread REC (was Nice Snack)

On 11/12/2011 3:24 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "gloria.p" wrote:
>>
>> I made banana bread (James Beard's recipe) this AM with three small very
>> overripe bananas I was about to throw away. I just had the first slice,
>> spread with cream cheese, and a cup of Darjeeling tea. Mmmmmm.

> Delicious fresh from the oven... nuts?

Toasted pecans.

James Beard Banana Bread
(from Beard on Bread cookbook)

2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar (or slightly less)
2 eggs
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 or 3 bananas)
1/3 cup milk mixed with 1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup (or more) chopped nuts

Sift flour with salt and baking soda. Cream the butter and gradually
add sugar. Mix well. Add eggs and bananas,blend thoroughly. Slowly
and alternately fold in milk and flour mixture. Blend well after each
addition. Stir in nuts, pour into lavishly bvuttered 9x5 loaf pan.
Bake in a preheated 350deg. oven 1 hour or until bread springs back when
lightly touched in the center. Cool slightly on a rack before removing
from pan. Wrap securely when cool.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 15:37:11 -0700, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>On 11/12/2011 3:24 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "gloria.p" wrote:
>>>
>>> I made banana bread (James Beard's recipe) this AM with three small very
>>> overripe bananas I was about to throw away. I just had the first slice,
>>> spread with cream cheese, and a cup of Darjeeling tea. Mmmmmm.

>> Delicious fresh from the oven... nuts?

>Toasted pecans.

Perfect. Too bad you didn't make two and freeze one for later... I
hate to waste a hot oven.

>James Beard Banana Bread
> (from Beard on Bread cookbook)
>
>2 cups sifted all purpose flour
>1 tsp baking soda
>1/2 tsp salt
>1/2 cup butter
>1 cup sugar (or slightly less)
>2 eggs
>1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 or 3 bananas)
>1/3 cup milk mixed with 1 tsp lemon juice
>1/2 cup (or more) chopped nuts
>
>Sift flour with salt and baking soda. Cream the butter and gradually
>add sugar. Mix well. Add eggs and bananas,blend thoroughly. Slowly
>and alternately fold in milk and flour mixture. Blend well after each
>addition. Stir in nuts, pour into lavishly bvuttered 9x5 loaf pan.
>Bake in a preheated 350deg. oven 1 hour or until bread springs back when
>lightly touched in the center. Cool slightly on a rack before removing
>from pan. Wrap securely when cool.
>
>gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 12, 2:24*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> "gloria.p" wrote:
>
> >I made banana bread (James Beard's recipe) this AM with three small very
> >overripe bananas I was about to throw away. I just had the first slice,
> >spread with cream cheese, and a cup of Darjeeling tea. *Mmmmmm.

> Delicious fresh from the oven... nuts?

Altho hot from the oven is appealing, I think it needs to cool a bit
for the flavors to become pronounced. I admit I am totally guilty of
cutting into a hot loaf and slapping on a chunk of butter!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2011 3:57 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 15:37:11 -0700, >
> wrote:

>>> Delicious fresh from the oven... nuts?

>> Toasted pecans.

> Perfect. Too bad you didn't make two and freeze one for later... I
> hate to waste a hot oven.

Didn't have enough bananas.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Toasted pecans.

>> Perfect. Too bad you didn't make two and freeze one for later... I
>> hate to waste a hot oven.

>Didn't have enough bananas.

I would have made the second quick bread a different flavor, perhaps
dumped in a can of pineapple or oatmeal raisin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/13/2011 7:15 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "gloria.p" wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Perfect. Too bad you didn't make two and freeze one for later... I
>>> hate to waste a hot oven.

>> Didn't have enough bananas.

> I would have made the second quick bread a different flavor, perhaps
> dumped in a can of pineapple or oatmeal raisin.

Good idea. Right now I have a few zucchini breads and some of husband's
Grandma's citrus peel and almond bread in the freezer.
Those are our go-to breakfast choices.

When I free up more space, I'll do more banana bread and maybe pumpkin
or use the bags of shredded zucchini I froze this summer.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> "gloria.p" wrote:
>>>
>>> Didn't have enough bananas.

>> I would have made the second quick bread a different flavor, perhaps
>> dumped in a can of pineapple or oatmeal raisin.

>Good idea. Right now I have a few zucchini breads and some of husband's
>Grandma's citrus peel and almond bread in the freezer.
>Those are our go-to breakfast choices.
>
>When I free up more space, I'll do more banana bread and maybe pumpkin
>or use the bags of shredded zucchini I froze this summer.

Gee, I don't know how frozen shredded zucchini would be after it's
defrosted, I'd think it would mostly be a puddle. I think I'd save
that for some kind of soup.

My mom used to bake date nut loaf in 1lb coffee cans, she'd save up
the tins and bake a whole lot at once... she never froze them because
with five of us they didn't last long, in fact there was never enough.
To start a new loafe the lid was cut and the loave pushed through. I
don't have the recipe but maybe one of these:
http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...d.php?t=130779
My mother and I liked ours with butter, the others liked theirs with
cream cheese. I like cream cheese but I tend to have it on crackers,
on good bread I prefer butter... I much prefer my bagel buttered.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> On 11/12/2011 3:24 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > "gloria.p" wrote:
> >>
> >> I made banana bread (James Beard's recipe) this AM with three small very
> >> overripe bananas I was about to throw away. I just had the first slice,
> >> spread with cream cheese, and a cup of Darjeeling tea. Mmmmmm.

> > Delicious fresh from the oven... nuts?

> Toasted pecans.
>

> James Beard Banana Bread
> (from Beard on Bread cookbook)
>
> 2 cups sifted all purpose flour
> 1 tsp baking soda
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/2 cup butter
> 1 cup sugar (or slightly less)
> 2 eggs
> 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 or 3 bananas)
> 1/3 cup milk mixed with 1 tsp lemon juice
> 1/2 cup (or more) chopped nuts
>
> Sift flour with salt and baking soda. Cream the butter and gradually
> add sugar. Mix well. Add eggs and bananas,blend thoroughly. Slowly
> and alternately fold in milk and flour mixture. Blend well after each
> addition. Stir in nuts, pour into lavishly bvuttered 9x5 loaf pan.
> Bake in a preheated 350deg. oven 1 hour or until bread springs back when
> lightly touched in the center. Cool slightly on a rack before removing
> from pan. Wrap securely when cool.
>
> gloria p

Beard, eh? That's nearly the recipe I use -- though I took it from the
Strib back in the 70s, I'll bet ‹ Mrs. Whosis probably got it from her
sister-in-law who got it from her cousin who got it from a church lady
who'd copied it from the Beard book in the library. :-)

A change I made was to use a big dollop (1/4 cup?) of sour cream
instead of the sour milk, and my recipe doesn't call for salt. It won a
blue ribbon at the Great Minnesota Get-Together back in 1986.

It's good, for sure.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011