Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soup for Dinner 12/13/20

I made a pot of broccoli cheese soup. Served it with nice thick French
bread, buttered and lightly sprinkled with garlic powder and grated
parmesan cheese, toasted until crispy under the oven broiler. I could
claim I made soup because it's winter and it's cold except it isn't. It
was 70F degrees outside today, I've still got then windows open. I was
just in the mood for nice cheesy soup and bread

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 13, 2020 at 5:21:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> I made a pot of broccoli cheese soup. Served it with nice thick French
> bread, buttered and lightly sprinkled with garlic powder and grated
> parmesan cheese, toasted until crispy under the oven broiler. I could
> claim I made soup because it's winter and it's cold except it isn't. It
> was 70F degrees outside today, I've still got then windows open. I was
> just in the mood for nice cheesy soup and bread
>
> Jill

Mmmmmmmm-mmmmmm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 18:21:43 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> I made a pot of broccoli cheese soup. Served it with nice thick French
> bread, buttered and lightly sprinkled with garlic powder and grated
> parmesan cheese, toasted until crispy under the oven broiler. I could
> claim I made soup because it's winter and it's cold except it isn't. It
> was 70F degrees outside today, I've still got then windows open. I was
> just in the mood for nice cheesy soup and bread
>
> Jill

Lucky you! It's bitterly cold here and I'm having a curry for dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2020 5:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> I made a pot of broccoli cheese soup.Â* Served it with nice thick French
> bread, buttered and lightly sprinkled with garlic powder and grated
> parmesan cheese, toasted until crispy under the oven broiler.Â* I could
> claim I made soup because it's winter and it's cold except it isn't.Â* It
> was 70F degrees outside today, I've still got then windows open.Â* I was
> just in the mood for nice cheesy soup and bread
>
> Jill

I've got country style pork ribs and sweet potatoes out on the grill ,
probably boil up some egg noodles and add a can of cream of something
soup (drain the noodles first) to go with .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2020 5:41 PM, Graham wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 18:21:43 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I made a pot of broccoli cheese soup. Served it with nice thick French
>> bread, buttered and lightly sprinkled with garlic powder and grated
>> parmesan cheese, toasted until crispy under the oven broiler. I could
>> claim I made soup because it's winter and it's cold except it isn't. It
>> was 70F degrees outside today, I've still got then windows open. I was
>> just in the mood for nice cheesy soup and bread
>>
>> Jill

> Lucky you! It's bitterly cold here and I'm having a curry for dinner.

It's not bitterly cold here but it IS snowing ... first snow this
year , too bad it ain't going to amount to much . Well , now that I said
that who knows !
--
Snag
Illegitimi non

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2020-12-13 6:41 p.m., Graham wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 18:21:43 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I made a pot of broccoli cheese soup. Served it with nice thick French
>> bread, buttered and lightly sprinkled with garlic powder and grated
>> parmesan cheese, toasted until crispy under the oven broiler. I could
>> claim I made soup because it's winter and it's cold except it isn't. It
>> was 70F degrees outside today, I've still got then windows open. I was
>> just in the mood for nice cheesy soup and bread
>>
>> Jill

> Lucky you! It's bitterly cold here and I'm having a curry for dinner.

Curry is always a good choice. We had a grilled pork tenderloin that had
been marinated in a mixture of apple cider vinegar, canola oil, maple
syrup, chipotle powder and toasted and ground cumin seed and coriander
seed. Sides were roasted potatoes, roasted butternut squash mashed with
hot curry powder, steamed green beans and asparagus. Dessert was apple
crisp topped with slices of 3 year old cheddar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Snag wrote:

> On 12/13/2020 5:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> > I made a pot of broccoli cheese soup.Â* Served it with nice thick
> > French bread, buttered and lightly sprinkled with garlic powder
> > and grated parmesan cheese, toasted until crispy under the oven
> > broiler.Â* I could claim I made soup because it's winter and it's
> > cold except it isn't.Â* It was 70F degrees outside today, I've
> > still got then windows open.Â* I was just in the mood for nice
> > cheesy soup and bread
> >
> > Jill

> I've got country style pork ribs and sweet potatoes out on the grill
> , probably boil up some egg noodles and add a can of cream of
> something soup (drain the noodles first) to go with .

Sounds nicely hearty there!

Don found a special at the local sports bar so brought home fried clams
and shrimp with onion rings and wedge potatoes. They make a homestyle
tartar sauce that is pretty good. Has a touch of horseradish in it I
think, which makes for a nice lift.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/13/2020 7:15 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Snag wrote:
>
>> On 12/13/2020 5:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> I made a pot of broccoli cheese soup.Â* Served it with nice thick
>>> French bread, buttered and lightly sprinkled with garlic powder
>>> and grated parmesan cheese, toasted until crispy under the oven
>>> broiler.Â* I could claim I made soup because it's winter and it's
>>> cold except it isn't.Â* It was 70F degrees outside today, I've
>>> still got then windows open.Â* I was just in the mood for nice
>>> cheesy soup and bread
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I've got country style pork ribs and sweet potatoes out on the grill
>> , probably boil up some egg noodles and add a can of cream of
>> something soup (drain the noodles first) to go with .

> Sounds nicely hearty there!

It was ! We're getting our first snow of the year , and hearty was
just what we needed .

> Don found a special at the local sports bar so brought home fried clams
> and shrimp with onion rings and wedge potatoes. They make a homestyle
> tartar sauce that is pretty good. Has a touch of horseradish in it I
> think, which makes for a nice lift.

We're partial to the cocktail sauce for shrimp . Mom used to make it
using ketchup and fresh ground horseradish . So would I if I could get
it to grow here . I'll have to try again next spring .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Snag wrote:

> On 12/13/2020 7:15 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Snag wrote:

> > > I've got country style pork ribs and sweet potatoes out on the
> > > grill , probably boil up some egg noodles and add a can of cream
> > > of something soup (drain the noodles first) to go with .

> > Sounds nicely hearty there!

> It was ! We're getting our first snow of the year , and hearty was
> just what we needed .
>

> > Don found a special at the local sports bar so brought home fried
> > clams and shrimp with onion rings and wedge potatoes. They make a
> > homestyle tartar sauce that is pretty good. Has a touch of
> > horseradish in it I think, which makes for a nice lift.
> >

> We're partial to the cocktail sauce for shrimp . Mom used to make it
> using ketchup and fresh ground horseradish . So would I if I could
> get it to grow here . I'll have to try again next spring .

Humm! I've not tried growing that. Might be fun!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2020 8:48 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Snag wrote:

>>> Sounds nicely hearty there!

>> It was ! We're getting our first snow of the year , and hearty was
>> just what we needed .
>>

>>> Don found a special at the local sports bar so brought home fried
>>> clams and shrimp with onion rings and wedge potatoes. They make a
>>> homestyle tartar sauce that is pretty good. Has a touch of
>>> horseradish in it I think, which makes for a nice lift.
>>>

>> We're partial to the cocktail sauce for shrimp . Mom used to make it
>> using ketchup and fresh ground horseradish . So would I if I could
>> get it to grow here . I'll have to try again next spring .

> Humm! I've not tried growing that. Might be fun!

It's really quite easy , once you get it started . I grew it as an
adolescent from a start given to me by my mother's maternal grandfather
.. If I can get a start I'll grow it again ... like iris and other bulb
flowers it will multiply . To make it hotter I was taught to withhold
water for a couple of weeks before you harvest it .
--
Snag
Illegitimi non

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 20:48:54 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Snag wrote:

>> > Sounds nicely hearty there!

>> It was ! We're getting our first snow of the year , and hearty was
>> just what we needed .
>>

>> > Don found a special at the local sports bar so brought home fried
>> > clams and shrimp with onion rings and wedge potatoes. They make a
>> > homestyle tartar sauce that is pretty good. Has a touch of
>> > horseradish in it I think, which makes for a nice lift.
>> >

>> We're partial to the cocktail sauce for shrimp . Mom used to make it
>> using ketchup and fresh ground horseradish . So would I if I could
>> get it to grow here . I'll have to try again next spring .

>Humm! I've not tried growing that. Might be fun!

Best not to grow your own unless you can contain it, horseradish is
very invasive... you can bury a five foot length of clay chimney flue
and plant it in that. It's a lot easier to buy a piece of horseradish
root and grate it yourself... my grandmother would grate horseradish
on the outside window ledge with the window sash pulled down to her
wrists... the fumes of fresh grated horseradish are very potent.