Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread machines

I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used all-purpose
flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small, hard and lumpy. I
tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine yeast. Nice large tasty
loaves.

I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.

I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had successfully
used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe flour and yeast have
changed since then?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17 Oct 2020 14:55:22 GMT, KenK wrote:

> I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used all-purpose
> flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small, hard and lumpy. I
> tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine yeast. Nice large tasty
> loaves.
>
> I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
>
> I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had successfully
> used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe flour and yeast have
> changed since then?

Probably the yeast was at fault. AP flour in Canada and AIUI the northern
US is strong enough to make good bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:55:30 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used all-purpose
> flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small, hard and lumpy. I
> tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine yeast. Nice large tasty
> loaves.
>
> I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
>
> I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had successfully
> used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe flour and yeast have
> changed since then?

The *type* of yeast might have been the problem. Read this:

<https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-active-dry-yeast-and-instant-yeast-54252>

You can use active dry yeast in a bread machine, but you need to proof it first. "Activate it" might be a better term, which involves stirring it into warm water with a bit of added sugar and letting it sit for ~15 minutes until it's good and foamy.

Better luck next time.

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used all-purpose
> flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small, hard and lumpy. I
> tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine yeast. Nice large tasty
> loaves.
>
> I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
>
> I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had successfully
> used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe flour and yeast have
> changed since then?

I don't think the yeast has changed, unless you used a different type. Flour
can vary depending on where you live and the time of year. I've been told
that the AP flour that I get here is akin to bread flour, no matter the time
of year.

I never had any luck with my bread machine, but I was using it for gluten
free bread. It was also a poor design in that it baked the paddle into the
bread so there was no way to get a decent slice of bread. You could pull off
a chunk though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used
> all-purpose flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small, hard
> and lumpy. I tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine yeast.
> Nice large tasty loaves.
>
> I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
>
> I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had
> successfully used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe
> flour and yeast have changed since then?

Nope, but you may have fallen astray of 2 likely things assuming your
other measures were correct.

1- you took care the second time to stir the flour up a bit the second
try (aka, 'fluff the flour I call it) when the first time you just
dredged it out of the bag. If you do not 'fluff it', you get more than
the intended recipe.

2- store brand all purpose flour for all that some try to claim
otherwise, varies in gluten, normally through the year but bread
machine flour is stable.

See if that matches anyplace?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 1:52:33 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "KenK" > wrote in message
> > I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used all-purpose
> > flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small, hard and lumpy. I
> > tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine yeast. Nice large tasty
> > loaves.
> >
> > I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
> >
> > I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had successfully
> > used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe flour and yeast have
> > changed since then?

> I don't think the yeast has changed, unless you used a different type. Flour
> can vary depending on where you live and the time of year. I've been told
> that the AP flour that I get here is akin to bread flour, no matter the time
> of year.
>
> I never had any luck with my bread machine, but I was using it for gluten
> free bread. It was also a poor design in that it baked the paddle into the
> bread so there was no way to get a decent slice of bread. You could pull off
> a chunk though.

Bread machines aren't programmed for gluten free. As far as the paddle goes, after the final knead, dig it out of the dough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:55:30 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used all-purpose
> flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small, hard and lumpy. I
> tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine yeast. Nice large tasty
> loaves.
>
> I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
>
> I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had successfully
> used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe flour and yeast have
> changed since then?

What kind of all-purpose flour was it? A soft, southern-style flour that's good
for biscuits? Or a higher-protein northern flour? If you don't know the protein
content, we can guess from the brand name.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:55:30 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
>> I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used all-purpose
>> flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small, hard and lumpy. I
>> tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine yeast. Nice large tasty
>> loaves.
>>
>> I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
>>
>> I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had successfully
>> used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe flour and yeast have
>> changed since then?

>What kind of all-purpose flour was it? A soft, southern-style flour that's good
>for biscuits? Or a higher-protein northern flour? If you don't know the protein
>content, we can guess from the brand name.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Ordinary bread is not fussy about type of flour, AP should be fine.
I'd say the yeast is suspect, probably old. I always proof yeast
prior to use, even with my bread machine. Simply stir the yeast into
a cup of slightly sweetened water, if it foams then it's good to use.
And I keep my yeast in the freezer and still I proof it. If yeast is
sitting out at room temperature it's likely dead... even most stores
keep yeast refrigerated, but if frozen it will keep well for at least
ten years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote in
:

> On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:55:30 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
>> I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used
>> all-purpose flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small, hard
>> and lumpy. I tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine yeast.
>> Nice large tasty loaves.
>>
>> I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
>>
>> I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had
>> successfully used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe
>> flour and yeast have changed since then?

> What kind of all-purpose flour was it? A soft, southern-style flour
> that's good for biscuits? Or a higher-protein northern flour? If you
> don't know the protein content, we can guess from the brand name.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Too late. I threw it away. Bread is about the only thing I use flour for.
Quite likely "Great Value", the Walmart store brand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>>On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:55:30 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
>>> I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used
>>> all-purpose flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small,
>>> hard and lumpy. I tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine
>>> yeast. Nice large tasty loaves.
>>>
>>> I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
>>>
>>> I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had
>>> successfully used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe
>>> flour and yeast have changed since then?

>>What kind of all-purpose flour was it? A soft, southern-style flour
>>that's good for biscuits? Or a higher-protein northern flour? If you
>>don't know the protein content, we can guess from the brand name.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

> Ordinary bread is not fussy about type of flour, AP should be fine.
> I'd say the yeast is suspect, probably old. I always proof yeast
> prior to use, even with my bread machine. Simply stir the yeast into
> a cup of slightly sweetened water, if it foams then it's good to use.
> And I keep my yeast in the freezer and still I proof it. If yeast is
> sitting out at room temperature it's likely dead... even most stores
> keep yeast refrigerated, but if frozen it will keep well for at least
> ten years.

I did proof the yeast as I had had it a long time. Foamed nicely as ever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 1:32:28 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> Sheldon Martin > wrote in
> :
> > On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> >>What kind of all-purpose flour was it? A soft, southern-style flour
> >>that's good for biscuits? Or a higher-protein northern flour? If you
> >>don't know the protein content, we can guess from the brand name.
> >>
> >>Cindy Hamilton

> > Ordinary bread is not fussy about type of flour, AP should be fine.
> > I'd say the yeast is suspect, probably old. I always proof yeast
> > prior to use, even with my bread machine. Simply stir the yeast into
> > a cup of slightly sweetened water, if it foams then it's good to use.
> > And I keep my yeast in the freezer and still I proof it. If yeast is
> > sitting out at room temperature it's likely dead... even most stores
> > keep yeast refrigerated, but if frozen it will keep well for at least
> > ten years.
> >

> I did proof the yeast as I had had it a long time. Foamed nicely as ever.
> --
> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

Started baking since pandemic. Bought bread machine, bought books and the machine is now in the basement.
I do all pizza, bagels and bread by hand. By hand you will quickly learn what is right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas wrote:

> On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 1:32:28 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> > Sheldon Martin > wrote in
> > :
> > > On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > > Ordinary bread is not fussy about type of flour, AP should be fine.
> > > I'd say the yeast is suspect, probably old. I always proof yeast
> > > prior to use, even with my bread machine. Simply stir the yeast into
> > > a cup of slightly sweetened water, if it foams then it's good to use.
> > > And I keep my yeast in the freezer and still I proof it. If yeast is
> > > sitting out at room temperature it's likely dead... even most stores
> > > keep yeast refrigerated, but if frozen it will keep well for at least
> > > ten years.
> > >

> > I did proof the yeast as I had had it a long time. Foamed nicely as ever.
> > --
> > I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

> Started baking since pandemic. Bought bread machine, bought books and the machine is now in the basement.
> I do all pizza, bagels and bread by hand. By hand you will quickly learn what is right.

If lazy Americans started doing more by hand instead of machine maybe their rate of morbid obesity would go down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 4:30:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> If lazy Americans started doing more by hand instead of machine maybe their rate of morbid obesity would go down.

No, they'd eat what they baked and bake more whether by hand or by machine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
> On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 1:32:28 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> > Sheldon Martin > wrote in
> > :
> > > On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > > Ordinary bread is not fussy about type of flour, AP should be fine.
> > > I'd say the yeast is suspect, probably old. I always proof yeast
> > > prior to use, even with my bread machine. Simply stir the yeast into
> > > a cup of slightly sweetened water, if it foams then it's good to use.
> > > And I keep my yeast in the freezer and still I proof it. If yeast is
> > > sitting out at room temperature it's likely dead... even most stores
> > > keep yeast refrigerated, but if frozen it will keep well for at least
> > > ten years.
> > >

> > I did proof the yeast as I had had it a long time. Foamed nicely as ever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-10, Thomas wrote:
> > On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 1:32:28 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> > > Sheldon Martin > wrote in
> > > :

> > > I did proof the yeast as I had had it a long time. Foamed nicely as ever.
> > > --
> > > I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

> > Started baking since pandemic. Bought bread machine, bought books and the machine is now in the basement.
> > I do all pizza, bagels and bread by hand. By hand you will quickly learn what is right.

> I like to mix up yeast dough in a Ziploc bag. Everything goes into a bag and mixed and kneaded. You don't get flour all over the place and you can even knead while watching a Three Stooges short. When kneading the dough you no longer use your arms and shoulders. You use only your hands. That could be a good thing - or not.

This could be used as a male masturbation device. Do Moe, Larry & Curly turn you on?

<grin>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:23:46 -0700 (PDT), Thomas >
wrote:

>On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 1:32:28 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
>> Sheldon Martin > wrote in
>> :
>> > On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>> > Ordinary bread is not fussy about type of flour, AP should be fine.
>> > I'd say the yeast is suspect, probably old. I always proof yeast
>> > prior to use, even with my bread machine. Simply stir the yeast into
>> > a cup of slightly sweetened water, if it foams then it's good to use.
>> > And I keep my yeast in the freezer and still I proof it. If yeast is
>> > sitting out at room temperature it's likely dead... even most stores
>> > keep yeast refrigerated, but if frozen it will keep well for at least
>> > ten years.
>> >

>> I did proof the yeast as I had had it a long time. Foamed nicely as ever.
>> --
>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>Started baking since pandemic. Bought bread machine, bought books and the machine is now in the basement.
>I do all pizza, bagels and bread by hand. By hand you will quickly learn what is right.

Yes, you're much smarter than the machine. You can make corrections as
you go that the machine can't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:30:33 -0700 (PDT), Bruce
> wrote:

>Thomas wrote:
>
>> On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 1:32:28 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
>> > Sheldon Martin > wrote in
>> > :

>> > I did proof the yeast as I had had it a long time. Foamed nicely as ever.
>> > --
>> > I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>> Started baking since pandemic. Bought bread machine, bought books and the machine is now in the basement.
>> I do all pizza, bagels and bread by hand. By hand you will quickly learn what is right.

>If lazy Americans started doing more by hand instead of machine maybe their rate of morbid obesity would go down.

Having fun, Greg Sorrow?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:31:43 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 4:30:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> If lazy Americans started doing more by hand instead of machine maybe their rate of morbid obesity would go down.
>>

>No, they'd eat what they baked and bake more whether by hand or by machine.

Anything you say, but you're disagreeing with Greg Sorrow, not with
me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> Thomas wrote:
>
>> On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 1:32:28 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
>>> Sheldon Martin > wrote in
>>> :

>>> I did proof the yeast as I had had it a long time. Foamed nicely as ever.
>>> --
>>> I love a good meal! That's why I don't cook.

>> Started baking since pandemic. Bought bread machine, bought books and the machine is now in the basement.
>> I do all pizza, bagels and bread by hand. By hand you will quickly learn what is right.

> If lazy Americans started doing more by hand instead of machine maybe their rate of morbid obesity would go down.

Well Gruce, you know americans are just no good sorry low down
*******s.

I'm not sure why you even bother sniffing their asses!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 11:47:59 AM UTC-10, GM wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > Started baking since pandemic. Bought bread machine, bought books and the machine is now in the basement.
> > > I do all pizza, bagels and bread by hand. By hand you will quickly learn what is right.

> > I like to mix up yeast dough in a Ziploc bag. Everything goes into a bag and mixed and kneaded. You don't get flour all over the place and you can even knead while watching a Three Stooges short. When kneading the dough you no longer use your arms and shoulders. You use only your hands. That could be a good thing - or not.

> This could be used as a male masturbation device. Do Moe, Larry & Curly turn you on?
>
> <grin>

You're the expert, you tell me. My guess is that any tool within your reach can be used to spill your seed. Yoose is like the MacGyver of masturbation..

I see bread dough in a bag as perhaps being useful for people with hand problems. No need to tell me that I'm boring.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 15:28:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 11:47:59 AM UTC-10, GM wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>> > I like to mix up yeast dough in a Ziploc bag. Everything goes into a bag and mixed and kneaded. You don't get flour all over the place and you can even knead while watching a Three Stooges short. When kneading the dough you no longer use your arms and shoulders. You use only your hands. That could be a good thing - or not.

>> This could be used as a male masturbation device. Do Moe, Larry & Curly turn you on?
>>
>> <grin>

>You're the expert, you tell me. My guess is that any tool within your reach can be used to spill your seed. Yoose is like the MacGyver of masturbation.
>
>I see bread dough in a bag as perhaps being useful for people with hand problems. No need to tell me that I'm boring.

I won't tell you that, but maybe Greg Sorrow will, since you were
talking to him.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:31:43 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 4:30:37 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> If lazy Americans started doing more by hand instead of machine maybe their rate of morbid obesity would go down.
>>>

>> No, they'd eat what they baked and bake more whether by hand or by machine.

> Anything you say, but you're disagreeing with Greg Sorrow, not with
> me.

You got a real hard on for greg, don't you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:30:33 -0700 (PDT), Bruce
> > wrote:
>
>> Thomas wrote:

>>> Started baking since pandemic. Bought bread machine, bought books and the machine is now in the basement.
>>> I do all pizza, bagels and bread by hand. By hand you will quickly learn what is right.

>> If lazy Americans started doing more by hand instead of machine maybe their rate of morbid obesity would go down.

> Having fun, Greg Sorrow?

Hell, he says the same shit you do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5:29:56 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:31:43 -0700 (PDT), "
> > > wrote:

> >> No, they'd eat what they baked and bake more whether by hand or by machine.

> > Anything you say, but you're disagreeing with Greg Sorrow, not with
> > me.
> >

> You got a real hard on for greg, don't you?

It is most frightening, lol...

🎃

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 12:29:47 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 15:28:53 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> This could be used as a male masturbation device. Do Moe, Larry & Curly turn you on?
> >>
> >> <grin>

> >You're the expert, you tell me. My guess is that any tool within your reach can be used to spill your seed. Yoose is like the MacGyver of masturbation.
> >
> >I see bread dough in a bag as perhaps being useful for people with hand problems. No need to tell me that I'm boring.

> I won't tell you that, but maybe Greg Sorrow will, since you were
> talking to him.

I already know that. I know everything. Rest assured that if your posts are stupider than normal, I'll check the headers and/or the poster's activity first. You're welcome.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5:30:43 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:30:33 -0700 (PDT), Bruce
> > > wrote:

> >> If lazy Americans started doing more by hand instead of machine maybe their rate of morbid obesity would go down.

> > Having fun, Greg Sorrow?
> >

> Hell, he says the same shit you do!

It's actually a challenge... I have to temporarily disable my normally prescient intellectual acuity to imitate his turgid shit...

Lol...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

GM wrote:
> On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 5:30:43 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:
>>> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:30:33 -0700 (PDT), Bruce

>>> Having fun, Greg Sorrow?
>>>

>> Hell, he says the same shit you do!

> It's actually a challenge... I have to temporarily disable my normally prescient intellectual acuity to imitate his turgid shit...
>
> Lol...
>
> --
> Best
> Greg

You've succeeded. Hard to tell it's not gruce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
GM GM is offline

Hank Rogers wrote:

> GM wrote:

> >> Hell, he says the same shit you do!

> > It's actually a challenge... I have to temporarily disable my normally prescient intellectual acuity to imitate his turgid shit...
> >
> > Lol...
> >
> > --
> > Best
> > Greg
> >

> You've succeeded. Hard to tell it's not gruce.

Flatterer...!!!

;-D

<chuckle>

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 1:52:33 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "KenK" > wrote in message
> > > I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used
> > > all-purpose flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small,
> > > hard and lumpy. I tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine
> > > yeast. Nice large tasty loaves.
> > >
> > > I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
> > >
> > > I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had
> > > successfully used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe
> > > flour and yeast have changed since then?

> > I don't think the yeast has changed, unless you used a different
> > type. Flour can vary depending on where you live and the time of
> > year. I've been told that the AP flour that I get here is akin to
> > bread flour, no matter the time of year.
> >
> > I never had any luck with my bread machine, but I was using it for
> > gluten free bread. It was also a poor design in that it baked the
> > paddle into the bread so there was no way to get a decent slice of
> > bread. You could pull off a chunk though.

> Bread machines aren't programmed for gluten free. As far as the
> paddle goes, after the final knead, dig it out of the dough.

Actually some are and some are truely programmable so you can make your
own settings and save them.

Most that say 'programmable' are just 'you can set a time delay' but
others go way further.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 02:53:55 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, October 17, 2020 at 10:55:30 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
> >> I've done some experimenting with my old bread machine. I used

> all-purpose >> flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was very small,
> hard and lumpy. I >> tried again with bread flour amd bread mahine
> yeast. Nice large tasty >> loaves.
> >>
> >> I'm surprised that the flour and yeast made that much difference.
> >>
> >> I last used the machine many years ago and I thought I had

> successfully >> used all-purpose flour and regular yeast then. Maybe
> flour and yeast have >> changed since then?
> >
> > What kind of all-purpose flour was it? A soft, southern-style
> > flour that's good for biscuits? Or a higher-protein northern
> > flour? If you don't know the protein content, we can guess from
> > the brand name.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Ordinary bread is not fussy about type of flour, AP should be fine.
> I'd say the yeast is suspect, probably old. I always proof yeast
> prior to use, even with my bread machine. Simply stir the yeast into
> a cup of slightly sweetened water, if it foams then it's good to use.
> And I keep my yeast in the freezer and still I proof it. If yeast is
> sitting out at room temperature it's likely dead... even most stores
> keep yeast refrigerated, but if frozen it will keep well for at least
> ten years.

Ummm, never saw yeast sold refridgerated, ever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/10/2020 00:49, cshenk wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:

>> Ordinary bread is not fussy about type of flour, AP should be fine.
>> I'd say the yeast is suspect, probably old. I always proof yeast
>> prior to use, even with my bread machine. Simply stir the yeast into
>> a cup of slightly sweetened water, if it foams then it's good to use.
>> And I keep my yeast in the freezer and still I proof it. If yeast is
>> sitting out at room temperature it's likely dead... even most stores
>> keep yeast refrigerated, but if frozen it will keep well for at least
>> ten years.

> Ummm, never saw yeast sold refridgerated, ever.

Blocks of fresh yeast are sold refrigerated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 1:46:45 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > I don't think the yeast has changed, unless you used a different
> > > type. Flour can vary depending on where you live and the time of
> > > year. I've been told that the AP flour that I get here is akin to
> > > bread flour, no matter the time of year.
> > >
> > > I never had any luck with my bread machine, but I was using it for
> > > gluten free bread. It was also a poor design in that it baked the
> > > paddle into the bread so there was no way to get a decent slice of
> > > bread. You could pull off a chunk though.

> > Bread machines aren't programmed for gluten free. As far as the
> > paddle goes, after the final knead, dig it out of the dough.

> Actually some are and some are truely programmable so you can make your
> own settings and save them.
>
> Most that say 'programmable' are just 'you can set a time delay' but
> others go way further.

I've never seen a real, programmable machine but I've got a machine that has 17 programs. Most of them are not that useful although I suppose if someone was really into bread, it might be. Oddly enough, my machine does have a setting for non-gluten baking. I don't know how that works but I can find out.

My bread machine is a real beauty. It's so shiny and sleek! It's pretty much the same as this one except that it doesn't have 25 settings and a fly in the machine. My guess is that's the same fly that made an appearance in the debate.

https://www.amazon.com/MOOSOO-Stainl.../dp/B088YQCV2N
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 01:01:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 1:46:45 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>> > Bread machines aren't programmed for gluten free. As far as the
>> > paddle goes, after the final knead, dig it out of the dough.

>> Actually some are and some are truely programmable so you can make your
>> own settings and save them.
>>
>> Most that say 'programmable' are just 'you can set a time delay' but
>> others go way further.

>I've never seen a real, programmable machine but I've got a machine that has 17 programs. Most of them are not that useful although I suppose if someone was really into bread, it might be. Oddly enough, my machine does have a setting for non-gluten baking. I don't know how that works but I can find out.
>
>My bread machine is a real beauty. It's so shiny and sleek! It's pretty much the same as this one except that it doesn't have 25 settings and a fly in the machine. My guess is that's the same fly that made an appearance in the debate.

>https://www.amazon.com/MOOSOO-Stainl.../dp/B088YQCV2N

Lol, that's a bit sloppy of them. At least Pence was live.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 10:05:35 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 01:01:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> Actually some are and some are truely programmable so you can make your
> >> own settings and save them.
> >>
> >> Most that say 'programmable' are just 'you can set a time delay' but
> >> others go way further.

> >I've never seen a real, programmable machine but I've got a machine that has 17 programs. Most of them are not that useful although I suppose if someone was really into bread, it might be. Oddly enough, my machine does have a setting for non-gluten baking. I don't know how that works but I can find out.
> >
> >My bread machine is a real beauty. It's so shiny and sleek! It's pretty much the same as this one except that it doesn't have 25 settings and a fly in the machine. My guess is that's the same fly that made an appearance in the debate.

> >https://www.amazon.com/MOOSOO-Stainl.../dp/B088YQCV2N

> Lol, that's a bit sloppy of them. At least Pence was live.

Besides the fly, there were other problems with the video. None of those breads were baked in the machine and that gal was totally on LSD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 01:24:31 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 10:05:35 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>> >I've never seen a real, programmable machine but I've got a machine that has 17 programs. Most of them are not that useful although I suppose if someone was really into bread, it might be. Oddly enough, my machine does have a setting for non-gluten baking. I don't know how that works but I can find out.
>> >
>> >My bread machine is a real beauty. It's so shiny and sleek! It's pretty much the same as this one except that it doesn't have 25 settings and a fly in the machine. My guess is that's the same fly that made an appearance in the debate.

>> >https://www.amazon.com/MOOSOO-Stainl.../dp/B088YQCV2N

>> Lol, that's a bit sloppy of them. At least Pence was live.

>Besides the fly, there were other problems with the video. None of those breads were baked in the machine and that gal was totally on LSD.

Yep, stoned out of her brain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas wrote:
> Started baking since pandemic. Bought bread machine,
> bought books and the machine is now in the basement.

LOL Funniest post of the morning here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 10:05:35 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 01:01:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > > wrote:

> > used >> > > > all-purpose flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was
> > very small, >> > > > hard and lumpy. I tried again with bread flour
> > amd bread mahine >> > > > yeast. Nice large tasty loaves.

> > difference. >> > > >

> > then. Maybe >> > > > flour and yeast have changed since then?

> > different >> > > type. Flour can vary depending on where you live
> > and the time of >> > > year. I've been told that the AP flour that
> > I get here is akin to >> > > bread flour, no matter the time of
> > year. >> > >

> > it for >> > > gluten free bread. It was also a poor design in that
> > it baked the >> > > paddle into the bread so there was no way to
> > get a decent slice of >> > > bread. You could pull off a chunk
> > though. >> >

> > make your >> own settings and save them.

> > but >> others go way further.
> > >
> > > I've never seen a real, programmable machine but I've got a
> > > machine that has 17 programs. Most of them are not that useful
> > > although I suppose if someone was really into bread, it might be.
> > > Oddly enough, my machine does have a setting for non-gluten
> > > baking. I don't know how that works but I can find out.
> > >
> > > My bread machine is a real beauty. It's so shiny and sleek! It's
> > > pretty much the same as this one except that it doesn't have 25
> > > settings and a fly in the machine. My guess is that's the same
> > > fly that made an appearance in the debate.

https://www.amazon.com/MOOSOO-Stainl.../dp/B088YQCV2N

> > Lol, that's a bit sloppy of them. At least Pence was live.

> Besides the fly, there were other problems with the video. None of
> those breads were baked in the machine and that gal was totally on
> LSD.

Back when the baking newsgroup was alive, one of the side threads was
bread machines. A blind lady used what I think was the Breadman
Ultimate. Total distinctive beep codes for everything and a PDF
manual. Even had a braille overlay for the button pad you could order.

It had more features than she needed but it was fully programmable.

I actually have a high end machine now but I was totally happy with my
low end west bend for almost a decade until it finally gave up the
ghost.

Grin, not impressed with the machine you used to say 'looks like this'
but it might be ok. The lack of care with the very ad shows they
probaby also lack care in making them and the reviews lead to same
conclusion. Yours is probably better but if there is one thing I have
learned in 20+ years of bread making with a machine, is it's more the
skill of the operator to work within what the machine can do, than
anything else.

I know most don't make all their bread (or most of it if you count
tortillas and crackers and my rare fetish for jewish rye that I have
not yet mastered), but I love doing it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 20/10/2020 00:49, cshenk wrote:
> > Sheldon Martin wrote:

> > > Ordinary bread is not fussy about type of flour, AP should be
> > > fine. I'd say the yeast is suspect, probably old. I always
> > > proof yeast prior to use, even with my bread machine. Simply
> > > stir the yeast into a cup of slightly sweetened water, if it
> > > foams then it's good to use. And I keep my yeast in the freezer
> > > and still I proof it. If yeast is sitting out at room
> > > temperature it's likely dead... even most stores keep yeast
> > > refrigerated, but if frozen it will keep well for at least ten
> > > years.

> > Ummm, never saw yeast sold refridgerated, ever.
> >

> Blocks of fresh yeast are sold refrigerated.

This is USA and bread machine yeast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 5:23:14 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 10:05:35 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> > > On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 01:01:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1

> > > used >> > > > all-purpose flour and active dry yeast. The loaf was
> > > very small, >> > > > hard and lumpy. I tried again with bread flour
> > > amd bread mahine >> > > > yeast. Nice large tasty loaves.

> > > difference. >> > > >
> > > then. Maybe >> > > > flour and yeast have changed since then?

> > > different >> > > type. Flour can vary depending on where you live
> > > and the time of >> > > year. I've been told that the AP flour that
> > > I get here is akin to >> > > bread flour, no matter the time of
> > > year. >> > >
> > > it for >> > > gluten free bread. It was also a poor design in that
> > > it baked the >> > > paddle into the bread so there was no way to
> > > get a decent slice of >> > > bread. You could pull off a chunk
> > > though. >> >

> > > make your >> own settings and save them.

> > > but >> others go way further.

> https://www.amazon.com/MOOSOO-Stainl.../dp/B088YQCV2N
> > >
> > > Lol, that's a bit sloppy of them. At least Pence was live.

> > Besides the fly, there were other problems with the video. None of
> > those breads were baked in the machine and that gal was totally on
> > LSD.

> Back when the baking newsgroup was alive, one of the side threads was
> bread machines. A blind lady used what I think was the Breadman
> Ultimate. Total distinctive beep codes for everything and a PDF
> manual. Even had a braille overlay for the button pad you could order.
>
> It had more features than she needed but it was fully programmable.
>
> I actually have a high end machine now but I was totally happy with my
> low end west bend for almost a decade until it finally gave up the
> ghost.
>
> Grin, not impressed with the machine you used to say 'looks like this'
> but it might be ok. The lack of care with the very ad shows they
> probaby also lack care in making them and the reviews lead to same
> conclusion. Yours is probably better but if there is one thing I have
> learned in 20+ years of bread making with a machine, is it's more the
> skill of the operator to work within what the machine can do, than
> anything else.
>
> I know most don't make all their bread (or most of it if you count
> tortillas and crackers and my rare fetish for jewish rye that I have
> not yet mastered), but I love doing it.

I'll agree, for the most part, it's not the machine, it's the operator/bread maker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/10/2020 04:24, cshenk wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
>>>
>>> Ummm, never saw yeast sold refridgerated, ever.
>>>

>> Blocks of fresh yeast are sold refrigerated.

> This is USA and bread machine yeast.

The yeast I refer to was purchased in a supermarket in the USA.

Bread Machines KenK General Cooking 6 26-05-2009 01:53 AM
Bread machines Bill & Vernie Bauer Baking 1 19-04-2006 04:36 AM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 12:58 PM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 12:58 PM
bread machines Steph G.B Baking 1 18-10-2003 08:30 PM