Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread Machines

Don't get me wrong, I love my old Regal bread machine. Love the smell of
baking bread and love experimenting with new recipes. However.... Is there
a bread machine that retracts its paddle(s) at the critical moment and so
avoids the big hole left in the loaf when the paddle is be removed?

I can't make the bread the old fashioned way - arthritis in my hands.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 25, 11:00*am, KenK > wrote:
> Don't get me wrong, I love my old Regal bread machine. Love the smell of
> baking bread and love experimenting with new recipes. However.... Is there
> a bread machine that retracts its paddle(s) at the critical moment and so
> avoids the big hole left in the loaf when the paddle is be removed?
>
> I can't make the bread the old fashioned way - arthritis in my hands.
>
> Ken
>
> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

when i was using the bread machine, i would take the loaf out of the
machine at the end of the mixing cycle, remove the paddle & put it
back into the machine to finish baking.

harriet & critters in azusa, ca (15 miles east of pasadena, ca)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> Don't get me wrong, I love my old Regal bread machine. Love the smell of
> baking bread and love experimenting with new recipes. However.... Is there
> a bread machine that retracts its paddle(s) at the critical moment and so
> avoids the big hole left in the loaf when the paddle is be removed?
>
> I can't make the bread the old fashioned way - arthritis in my hands.
>
> Ken
>

> --
> "When you choose the lesser of two evils, always
> remember that it is still an evil." - Max Lerner

I had a Welbilt *dough maker* that was great. It was not a bread maker, so
it was much lighter in weight (and easier to store) because it did not have
the baking element. However, I thought it made bread that was much superior
to the bread makers, but it did all the work. I could use it for bread,
pasta, or pastry. It would do the kneading and raising until the final
action. Then, I could take the dough out and put it in whatever size pan I
wanted (no kneading--that was already done). I made some great whole wheat
bread and even shredded wheat bread this way.

That was years ago, and I don't know if they are even made any more. If so,
that might be something to consider. It would avoid the problem you asked
about, puts no stress on your wrists, and lets you use the dough in any
shape of pan you want. The one I had was Welbilt Multi-Logic Dough Maker
Model #DM2000. As I said, this was a number of years ago.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:
> Don't get me wrong, I love my old Regal bread machine. Love the smell of
> baking bread and love experimenting with new recipes. However.... Is there
> a bread machine that retracts its paddle(s) at the critical moment and so
> avoids the big hole left in the loaf when the paddle is be removed?
>
> I can't make the bread the old fashioned way - arthritis in my hands.
>
> Ken

Dump the dough in a bread pan and bake in the oven. It'll also look and
cut like a regular loaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

KenK wrote:

> Is there a bread machine that retracts its paddle(s) at the critical
> moment and so avoids the big hole left in the loaf when the paddle is be
> removed?

Not that I know of. However if right after the last knead you dump the
dough, remove the paddle, and put the dough back to rise and then bake there
won't be nearly so big a hole. Although I don't see the big deal about the
hole, you're eventually going to chew the bread into mush

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 May 2009 18:00:59 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>Don't get me wrong, I love my old Regal bread machine. Love the smell of
>baking bread and love experimenting with new recipes. However.... Is there
>a bread machine that retracts its paddle(s) at the critical moment and so
>avoids the big hole left in the loaf when the paddle is be removed?
>
>I can't make the bread the old fashioned way - arthritis in my hands.

FWIW: I also have arthritis in hands and wrists.

I use the dough cycle, then give it one last rise (ibuprofen,
capsaicin) before free-forming the loaf or packing it into a
loaf pan.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> KenK wrote:
>
>>Is there a bread machine that retracts its paddle(s) at the critical
>>moment and so avoids the big hole left in the loaf when the paddle is be
>>removed?
>>

> Not that I know of. However if right after the last knead you dump the
> dough, remove the paddle, and put the dough back to rise and then bake there
> won't be nearly so big a hole. Although I don't see the big deal about the
> hole, you're eventually going to chew the bread into mush

Ordinarily i would indicate precisely how, with what and where Sheldon
could fill any particular 'hole' he would be likely to mention.

But in this case i would suggest a good sharp cheddar, mashed garlic and
oregano.
--
JL

bread machines Mr. G D Geen Baking 12 16-03-2007 10:25 PM
Bread machines Bill & Vernie Bauer Baking 1 19-04-2006 04:36 AM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 01:58 PM
Sourdough Bread for Bread Machines Chef R. W. Miller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 01:58 PM
bread machines Steph G.B Baking 1 18-10-2003 08:30 PM