Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pizzeles - - The tradition continues

For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
them every year too.

Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
enough.

Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
for family and friends here to enjoy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-08 1:39 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time.Â* Vanilla and
> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> iron.Â* Nothing works better.Â*Â* Some of our friends looked forward to
> them every year too.
>
> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones.Â* They have
> both anise oil and some of the seed in them.Â* Today I cooked them all
> and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow.Â* I've always helped with
> the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> enough.
>
> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them.Â* The rest
> for family and friends here to enjoy.

I had to look them up and came across this delightful account of making
them:
https://tinyurl.com/uu523wg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2019 3:45 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2019-12-08 1:39 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time.Â* Vanilla
>> and anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer
>> electric iron.Â* Nothing works better.Â*Â* Some of our friends looked
>> forward to them every year too.
>>
>> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones.Â* They
>> have both anise oil and some of the seed in them.Â* Today I cooked them
>> all and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow.Â* I've always helped
>> with the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was
>> simple enough.
>>
>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been
>> enjoying them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without
>> them.Â* The rest for family and friends here to enjoy.

> I had to look them up and came across this delightful account of making
> them:
> https://tinyurl.com/uu523wg

Wow, that is nearly the same recipe. I use 4 cups of flour, not 3 1/2,
but otherwise identical. I also make them in front of the TV.

Nice find!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 10:39:25 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
> them every year too.
>
> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
> the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> enough.
>
> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> for family and friends here to enjoy.

That looks like fun. I'll have to see about getting an iron. My Swedish step-mom makes pepparkakar as well as other unpronounceable baked goods for Christmas.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-T7S_DP5t4Ju53
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric iron.
> Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
> year too.
>
> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all and
> mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
> baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> enough.
>
> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> for family and friends here to enjoy.

I've only ever had the anise. Not a flavor I care for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time.
>> Vanilla and anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C.
>> Palmer electric iron. Nothing works better.** Some of our friends
>> looked forward to them every year too.
>>
>> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones.
>> They have both anise oil and some of the seed in them.* Today I
>> cooked them all and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow.* I've
>> always helped with the baking but this is the first time I did the
>> mixing and it was simple enough.
>>
>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been
>> enjoying them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without
>> them.* The rest for family and friends here to enjoy.

> I've only ever had the anise. Not a flavor I care for.

I'm shocked!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 1:24:14 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric iron.
> > Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
> > year too.
> >
> > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all and
> > mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
> > baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> > enough.
> >
> > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> I've only ever had the anise. Not a flavor I care for.

Me too! I do have a bag of star anise and use it for prune mui and for boiling peanuts. Other than that, it's not something I want to taste in most foods.

http://saltandwind.com/recipes/280-h...peanuts-recipe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time.Â* Vanilla and
> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> iron.Â* Nothing works better.Â*Â* Some of our friends looked forward to
> them every year too.
>
> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones.Â* They have
> both anise oil and some of the seed in them.Â* Today I cooked them all
> and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow.Â* I've always helped with
> the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> enough.
>
> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them.Â* The rest
> for family and friends here to enjoy.

That sounds like a wonderful tradition to continue, Ed! And you were
there helping her so yeah, I'm sure you figured it out with images of
doing this together in your mind. This makes me smile.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2019 3:45 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2019-12-08 1:39 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time.Â* Vanilla
>> and anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer
>> electric iron.Â* Nothing works better.Â*Â* Some of our friends looked
>> forward to them every year too.
>>
>> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones.Â* They
>> have both anise oil and some of the seed in them.Â* Today I cooked them
>> all and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow.Â* I've always helped
>> with the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was
>> simple enough.
>>
>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been
>> enjoying them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without
>> them.Â* The rest for family and friends here to enjoy.

> I had to look them up and came across this delightful account of making
> them:
> https://tinyurl.com/uu523wg

That's a nice link, thanks graham.

I think it's wonderful Ed is carrying on a tradition from his beloved wife.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2019 6:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time.Â* Vanilla
>> and anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer
>> electric iron. Nothing works better.Â*Â* Some of our friends looked
>> forward to them every year too.
>>
>> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones.Â* They
>> have both anise oil and some of the seed in them.Â* Today I cooked them
>> all and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow.Â* I've always helped
>> with the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was
>> simple enough.
>>
>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been
>> enjoying them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without
>> them.Â* The rest for family and friends here to enjoy.

> I've only ever had the anise. Not a flavor I care for.

Leave it to you to **** on the idea just because you don't like anise.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/8/2019 6:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time.Â
>>> Vanilla and anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C.
>>> Palmer electric iron. Nothing works better.Â*Â* Some of our
>>> friends looked forward to them every year too.
>>>
>>> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones.Â
>>> They have both anise oil and some of the seed in them.Â* Today I
>>> cooked them all and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow.Â
>>> I've always helped with the baking but this is the first time I
>>> did the mixing and it was simple enough.
>>>
>>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been
>>> enjoying them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without
>>> them.Â* The rest for family and friends here to enjoy.

>> I've only ever had the anise. Not a flavor I care for.

> Leave it to you to **** on the idea just because you don't like anise.
>
> Jill

Damn ... you been real mean to julie.

So, now druce is gonna be all over you. Like ugly on an ape.
Even Popeye won't be able to save you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 15:39:20 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
>anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
>iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
>them every year too.
>
>Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
>both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
>and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
>the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
>enough.
>
>Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
>them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
>for family and friends here to enjoy.

Thanks for the memory Ed. When I was growing up there were always
church ladies who made either pizzeles or rosetes. You could tell
that it was a family tradition. The rosettes always came covered with
powdered sugar and a dab of a red jelly in the center. beautiful
https://tinyurl.com/snehhzy

I was always fascinated by them. Good job continuing a memory.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 6:49:50 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 15:39:20 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> >For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> >anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> >iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
> >them every year too.
> >
> >Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> >both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> >and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
> >the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> >enough.
> >
> >Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> >them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> >for family and friends here to enjoy.

> Thanks for the memory Ed. When I was growing up there were always
> church ladies who made either pizzeles or rosetes. You could tell
> that it was a family tradition. The rosettes always came covered with
> powdered sugar and a dab of a red jelly in the center. beautiful
> https://tinyurl.com/snehhzy
>
> I was always fascinated by them. Good job continuing a memory.
> Janet US

On this rock, rosettes are called "Chinese Pretzels" which is a pretty fanciful name. The ones here are lighter and crisper because they're made using a mix of wheat flour and cornstarch. Chinese pretzels do not come covered with powdered sugar or jelly or anything else. Most of the time, they are sold in plastic bags and eaten as a snack.

https://blogs.ksbe.edu/kmsrecipeclub...zels-clarisse/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 00:29:40 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 6:49:50 PM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 15:39:20 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>>
>> >For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
>> >anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
>> >iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
>> >them every year too.
>> >
>> >Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
>> >both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
>> >and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
>> >the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
>> >enough.
>> >
>> >Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
>> >them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
>> >for family and friends here to enjoy.

>> Thanks for the memory Ed. When I was growing up there were always
>> church ladies who made either pizzeles or rosetes. You could tell
>> that it was a family tradition. The rosettes always came covered with
>> powdered sugar and a dab of a red jelly in the center. beautiful
>> https://tinyurl.com/snehhzy
>>
>> I was always fascinated by them. Good job continuing a memory.
>> Janet US

>On this rock, rosettes are called "Chinese Pretzels" which is a pretty fanciful name. The ones here are lighter and crisper because they're made using a mix of wheat flour and cornstarch. Chinese pretzels do not come covered with powdered sugar or jelly or anything else. Most of the time, they are sold in plastic bags and eaten as a snack.

Do they add any melamine?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 10:31:59 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 00:29:40 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> Thanks for the memory Ed. When I was growing up there were always
> >> church ladies who made either pizzeles or rosetes. You could tell
> >> that it was a family tradition. The rosettes always came covered with
> >> powdered sugar and a dab of a red jelly in the center. beautiful
> >> https://tinyurl.com/snehhzy
> >>
> >> I was always fascinated by them. Good job continuing a memory.
> >> Janet US

> >On this rock, rosettes are called "Chinese Pretzels" which is a pretty fanciful name. The ones here are lighter and crisper because they're made using a mix of wheat flour and cornstarch. Chinese pretzels do not come covered with powdered sugar or jelly or anything else. Most of the time, they are sold in plastic bags and eaten as a snack.

> Do they add any melamine?

It is customary to add melamine. If none is available, MSG will do in a pinch. Most of the time, they are served on melamine plates. That's so festive..

https://www.dhgate.com/product/a5-me...252767952.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric iron.
> Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
> year too.
>
> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all and
> mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
> baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> enough.
>
> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> for family and friends here to enjoy.

===

I call them stroopwafel and we love them, but I have never tried to make
any

Well done you)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:14:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
>> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric iron.
>> Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
>> year too.
>>
>> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
>> both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all and
>> mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
>> baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
>> enough.
>>
>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
>> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
>> for family and friends here to enjoy.

>===
>
> I call them stroopwafel

+1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 12:14:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric iron.
> > Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
> > year too.
> >
> > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all and
> > mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
> > baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> > enough.
> >
> > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> ===
>
> I call them stroopwafel and we love them, but I have never tried to make
> any
>
> Well done you)

I have a big box of the stuff. I'd eat them but they're kind of old. That box had 40 of those things and was way too big. If we ever get another box we'll have to immediately get to working on eating as much as we can every single day.

http://eastoahu96825.com/2019/10/06/...els-at-costco/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:14:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
>> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
>> iron.
>> Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
>> year too.
>>
>> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
>> both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all and
>> mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
>> baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
>> enough.
>>
>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
>> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
>> for family and friends here to enjoy.

>===
>
> I call them stroopwafel

+1

==
Ahh you too? ) I love the ones with caramel)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 12:14:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> > iron.
> > Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
> > year too.
> >
> > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> > and
> > mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
> > baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> > enough.
> >
> > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> ===
>
> I call them stroopwafel and we love them, but I have never tried to
> make
> any
>
> Well done you)

I have a big box of the stuff. I'd eat them but they're kind of old. That
box had 40 of those things and was way too big. If we ever get another box
we'll have to immediately get to working on eating as much as we can every
single day.

http://eastoahu96825.com/2019/10/06/...els-at-costco/

===

Wow those boxes are huge))))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2019 8:34 PM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

>>> I had to look them up and came across this delightful account of making
>>> them:

https://tinyurl.com/uu523wg

>> That's a nice link, thanks graham.

> From me too; I could give them a go on my son's waffle maker.
>
> Janet UK

I have a small electric "sandwich maker" (gifted to me decades ago) that
came with interchangeable metal plates. One is a pizzelle plate. I've
never used it but they sure look pretty!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2019 7:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 12:14:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time.Â* Vanilla and
>> > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
>> > iron.
>> > Nothing works better.Â*Â* Some of our friends looked forward to them

>> every
>> > year too.
>> >
>> > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones.Â* They

>> have
>> > both anise oil and some of the seed in them.Â* Today I cooked them

>> all > and
>> > mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow.Â* I've always helped with the
>> > baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
>> > enough.
>> >
>> > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been

>> enjoying
>> > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them.Â* The rest
>> > for family and friends here to enjoy.

>> ===
>>
>> Â*Â*Â* I call them stroopwafel and we love them, but I have never tried
>> to make
>> any
>>
>> Â*Â*Â* Well done you)

> I have a big box of the stuff. I'd eat them but they're kind of old.
> That box had 40 of those things and was way too big. If we ever get
> another box we'll have to immediately get to working on eating as much
> as we can every single day.
>
> http://eastoahu96825.com/2019/10/06/...els-at-costco/
>
> ===
>
> Â* Wow those boxes are huge))))

Yeah, they're huge and they aren't pizzeles.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:14:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
>> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
>> iron.
>> Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
>> year too.
>>
>> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
>> both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all and
>> mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
>> baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
>> enough.
>>
>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
>> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
>> for family and friends here to enjoy.

>===
>
> I call them stroopwafel

+1

==
Ahh you too? ) I love the ones with caramel)

===

Just to add, I can buy them in the nearest supermarket)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 12:11:54 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:14:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
>>> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
>>> iron.
>>> Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
>>> year too.
>>>
>>> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
>>> both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all and
>>> mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
>>> baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
>>> enough.
>>>
>>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
>>> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
>>> for family and friends here to enjoy.

>>===
>>
>> I call them stroopwafel

>+1
>
>==
> Ahh you too? ) I love the ones with caramel)

Yes, stroopwafel (treacle wafer) is the Dutch word for them. They're a
traditional Dutch thing. Aldi sell them here when they have a Dutch
week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 12:11:54 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:14:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
>>On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
>>> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
>>> iron.
>>> Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
>>> year too.
>>>
>>> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
>>> both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
>>> and
>>> mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
>>> baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
>>> enough.
>>>
>>> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
>>> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
>>> for family and friends here to enjoy.

>>===
>>
>> I call them stroopwafel

>+1
>
>==
> Ahh you too? ) I love the ones with caramel)

Yes, stroopwafel (treacle wafer) is the Dutch word for them. They're a
traditional Dutch thing. Aldi sell them here when they have a Dutch
week.

===

I know them from Germany) I lived there for a long time and my
daughter still does.))

I love it that I can find them here

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 2:50:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 12:14:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> > > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> > > iron.
> > > Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
> > > year too.
> > >
> > > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> > > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> > > and
> > > mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
> > > baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> > > enough.
> > >
> > > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> > > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> > > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> > ===
> >
> > I call them stroopwafel and we love them, but I have never tried to
> > make
> > any
> >
> > Well done you)

> I have a big box of the stuff. I'd eat them but they're kind of old. That
> box had 40 of those things and was way too big. If we ever get another box
> we'll have to immediately get to working on eating as much as we can every
> single day.
>
> http://eastoahu96825.com/2019/10/06/...els-at-costco/
>
> ===
>
> Wow those boxes are huge))))

The next time we get it, we're going to have to immediately give away most of it so we don't waste most of it. I got a box of Korean banana Choco pies yesterday. There's only 12 pieces in a box. I could eat a whole box of the stuff by myself. Hee hee.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/20/north-...of-choco-pies/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 5:14:53 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric iron.
> > Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
> > year too.
> >
> > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all and
> > mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
> > baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> > enough.
> >
> > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> ===
>
> I call them stroopwafel and we love them

How would you say something like that in Afrikaans?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-12-11 11:03 a.m., Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 12:11:54 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:14:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> ===
>>>
>>> I call them stroopwafel

>> +1
>>
>> ==
>> Ahh you too? ) I love the ones with caramel)

> Yes, stroopwafel (treacle wafer) is the Dutch word for them. They're a
> traditional Dutch thing. Aldi sell them here when they have a Dutch
> week.

My ex is married to a nederlander and she gives me a packet of them for
xmas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 12:11:54 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Bruce" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:14:45 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> ===
>>>
>>> I call them stroopwafel

>> +1
>>
>> ==
>> Ahh you too? ) I love the ones with caramel)

> Yes, stroopwafel (treacle wafer) is the Dutch word for them. They're a
> traditional Dutch thing. Aldi sell them here when they have a Dutch
> week.

Do they add sawdust?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 2:50:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 12:14:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla
> > > and
> > > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> > > iron.
> > > Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them
> > > every
> > > year too.
> > >
> > > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They
> > > have
> > > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> > > and
> > > mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
> > > baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> > > enough.
> > >
> > > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been
> > > enjoying
> > > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The
> > > rest
> > > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> > ===
> >
> > I call them stroopwafel and we love them, but I have never tried to
> > make
> > any
> >
> > Well done you)

> I have a big box of the stuff. I'd eat them but they're kind of old. That
> box had 40 of those things and was way too big. If we ever get another box
> we'll have to immediately get to working on eating as much as we can every
> single day.
>
> http://eastoahu96825.com/2019/10/06/...els-at-costco/
>
> ===
>
> Wow those boxes are huge))))

The next time we get it, we're going to have to immediately give away most
of it so we don't waste most of it. I got a box of Korean banana Choco pies
yesterday. There's only 12 pieces in a box. I could eat a whole box of the
stuff by myself. Hee hee.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/20/north-...of-choco-pies/

===

Oh my!!! They must be good if that soldier, after being so ill, was
craving those pies <g>

Heh have you ever eaten a whole box full ???? LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 5:14:53 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> > iron.
> > Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them every
> > year too.
> >
> > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> > and
> > mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
> > baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> > enough.
> >
> > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> > for family and friends here to enjoy.

> ===
>
> I call them stroopwafel and we love them

How would you say something like that in Afrikaans?

===

I have no idea ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 10:35:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 2:50:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > ===
> > >
> > > I call them stroopwafel and we love them, but I have never tried to
> > > make
> > > any
> > >
> > > Well done you)

> > I have a big box of the stuff. I'd eat them but they're kind of old. That
> > box had 40 of those things and was way too big. If we ever get another box
> > we'll have to immediately get to working on eating as much as we can every
> > single day.
> >
> > http://eastoahu96825.com/2019/10/06/...els-at-costco/
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Wow those boxes are huge))))

> The next time we get it, we're going to have to immediately give away most
> of it so we don't waste most of it. I got a box of Korean banana Choco pies
> yesterday. There's only 12 pieces in a box. I could eat a whole box of the
> stuff by myself. Hee hee.
>
> https://nypost.com/2017/12/20/north-...of-choco-pies/
>
> ===
>
> Oh my!!! They must be good if that soldier, after being so ill, was
> craving those pies <g>
>
> Heh have you ever eaten a whole box full ???? LOL

I just finished off one. 10 more to go. Looks like that was breakfast. Breakfast of Champions. I feel like a champ.

The Chocopie has its origins in the American South a little over a hundred years ago. Somehow it's become an item of worship in North Korea, and a beloved treat in Asia. What hath god wrought, indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XELhy4NBccc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2019 3:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 5:14:53 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time.Â* Vanilla and
>> > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
>> > iron.
>> > Nothing works better.Â*Â* Some of our friends looked forward to them

>> every
>> > year too.
>> >
>> > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones.Â* They

>> have
>> > both anise oil and some of the seed in them.Â* Today I cooked them

>> all > and
>> > mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow.Â* I've always helped with the
>> > baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
>> > enough.
>> >
>> > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been

>> enjoying
>> > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them.Â* The rest
>> > for family and friends here to enjoy.

>> ===
>>
>> Â*Â*Â* I call them stroopwafel and we love them

> How would you say something like that in Afrikaans?
>
> ===
>
> Â*Â* I have no idea ))

In Afrikaans is is still stroopwafel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 12/11/2019 3:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 5:14:53 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> On 12/8/2019 3:39 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> > For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
>> > anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
>> > iron.
>> > Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to them

>> every
>> > year too.
>> >
>> > Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They

>> have
>> > both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them

>> all > and
>> > mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with the
>> > baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
>> > enough.
>> >
>> > Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been

>> enjoying
>> > them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
>> > for family and friends here to enjoy.

>> ===
>>
>> I call them stroopwafel and we love them

> How would you say something like that in Afrikaans?
>
> ===
>
> I have no idea ))

In Afrikaans is is still stroopwafel

==

Thanks, Ed)) Heh I like to learn something new every day)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 10:35:24 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 2:50:15 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message

> > > ===
> > >
> > > I call them stroopwafel and we love them, but I have never tried
> > > make
> > > any
> > >
> > > Well done you)

> > I have a big box of the stuff. I'd eat them but they're kind of old.
> > That
> > box had 40 of those things and was way too big. If we ever get another
> > box
> > we'll have to immediately get to working on eating as much as we can
> > every
> > single day.
> >
> > http://eastoahu96825.com/2019/10/06/...els-at-costco/
> >
> > ===
> >
> > Wow those boxes are huge))))

> The next time we get it, we're going to have to immediately give away most
> of it so we don't waste most of it. I got a box of Korean banana Choco
> pies
> yesterday. There's only 12 pieces in a box. I could eat a whole box of the
> stuff by myself. Hee hee.
>
> https://nypost.com/2017/12/20/north-...of-choco-pies/
>
> ===
>
> Oh my!!! They must be good if that soldier, after being so ill, was
> craving those pies <g>
>
> Heh have you ever eaten a whole box full ???? LOL

I just finished off one. 10 more to go. Looks like that was breakfast.
Breakfast of Champions. I feel like a champ.

The Chocopie has its origins in the American South a little over a hundred
years ago. Somehow it's become an item of worship in North Korea, and a
beloved treat in Asia. What hath god wrought, indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XELhy4NBccc

==

Oh dear .. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 10:39:25 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> For over 50 years my wife made pizzeles at Christmas time. Vanilla and
> anise, occasionally chocolate. Always made on the C. Palmer electric
> iron. Nothing works better. Some of our friends looked forward to
> them every year too.
>
> Last night I mixed up the batter for the anise flavored ones. They have
> both anise oil and some of the seed in them. Today I cooked them all
> and mixed the vanilla batter to do tomorrow. I've always helped with
> the baking but this is the first time I did the mixing and it was simple
> enough.
>
> Once done, some will go into the mail to a friend that has been enjoying
> them for 30 years. She cannot imagine Christmas without them. The rest
> for family and friends here to enjoy.

My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was my mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the tradition continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 3:13:23 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> My auntie came into the office and gave me a fruitcake. She said it was my mom's fruitcake recipe. My mom has been gone some 30 years but the tradition continues. I suppose that when she's gone, so will the tradition.

Do you not have your mom's recipe? I know it's not the same when someone else
makes it for you, but it would be nice to have mom's recipe yourself.

Breaking tradition...a little help? Nexis General Cooking 5 24-12-2007 06:03 PM
TRADITION ENVY General Cooking 8 22-08-2006 01:00 AM
The Holiday Tradition The Ranger General Cooking 1 18-12-2005 04:53 PM
New Easter Tradition Terrel General Cooking 3 27-03-2005 08:02 PM
T-day recipe that will be a tradition from now on Karen O'Mara General Cooking 0 26-11-2004 05:36 PM