Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crown Royal XO

On 6/7/2019 3:53 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 6/7/2019 11:53 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> I've got some anise stars and whole cloves steeping in some (PGA)
>> right now . Gonna make me another (bigger) batch of Galliano
>> substitute . Doesn't taste exactly , but it's pretty close enough for
>> me .

> Last year, I bought the last bottle of Galliano (small, 375ml) in this
> valley (Arkansas R. headwaters)!
>
> It's not the same as it was in the 70s-80s.Â* Bol bought the rights to
> the brand and returned it to the original recipe, which has a higher
> "anise" flavor than the old recipe.Â* No matter how little Galliano one
> puts in their Wallbanger, it's not the same.Â* It's undrinkable!Â* I
> still have 3/4rths of that bottle).
>
> In fact, we have a Wallbangers Sports Bar in one of the towns close to
> me.Â* No one knows the origin of the name!!Â* That's how bad it is fer
> Harvey Wallbangers, around here!Â* We have the bar, but do NOT know why
> it is called "Wallbangers".
>
> I don't like PGA cuz it's too strong of an alcohol (in CO, one can buy
> 151 proof or even higher).Â* I made some Lemoncello and even at half
> strength, it was TOO strong.Â* Next time I'll use vodka.
> Yer homemade Galliano is probably better that what can be bought, off
> the shelf, these days.Â*
>
> nb

Â* The thing is , Galliano has a very subtle and complex interplay of
flavors - and aromas . There are spices and herbs in that mix that would
surprise you - it did me . I managed a reasonable facsimile last batch ,
biggest mistake was leaving the anise in too long . I actually preferred
sippin' it over mixing with OJ/vodka . We'll see how this batch turns
out , I'll be putting it all together tomorrow some time - then trying
to stay out of it for at least a week .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2019 4:21 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 16:13:36 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/7/2019 3:01 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> And if it's not from a fly over state, it's not a redneck?

>> Â* Oh I don't know , my neighbor here is a retired logger originally
> >from Oreeegone I do believe . His neck is as red as any I've seen .

> We have them here too. They'll shoot your dog if it trespasses on
> their property, but otherwise they're alright.

Â* Nope , Larry and Max are buddies .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-07 4:53 p.m., notbob wrote:
> On 6/7/2019 11:53 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> I've got some anise stars and whole cloves steeping in some (PGA)
>> right now . Gonna make me another (bigger) batch of Galliano
>> substitute . Doesn't taste exactly , but it's pretty close enough for
>> me .

> Last year, I bought the last bottle of Galliano (small, 375ml) in this
> valley (Arkansas R. headwaters)!
>
> It's not the same as it was in the 70s-80s.Â* Bol bought the rights to
> the brand and returned it to the original recipe, which has a higher
> "anise" flavor than the old recipe.Â* No matter how little Galliano one
> puts in their Wallbanger, it's not the same.Â* It's undrinkable!Â* I still
> have 3/4rths of that bottle).

I remember that Harvey Wallangers were popular back in the 1970s. Then
there was the Freddy Fudpucker, a Wallbanger with a shot of tequila
added to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like Gordon's gin but would never drink it unmixed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 2:09:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Life is too short for cheap booze.
>
> Yesterday I went to the liquor store to replenish supplies. I usually
> have on hand something from each of the food groups, bourbon, scotch,
> rye, rum, vodka, gin.
>
> I was low on bourbon and out of rye so I picked up a Makers Mark 46 as
> I've liked it in the past. Then I was not sure what else to get and
> considered another Crown Royal. They also have two premium versions of
> it so, for a few bucks more I got the XO.
>
> My son came over for a drink yesterday so I opened the bottle for us to
> try. Wow, this is smooooooooth drinking. Well worth the few extra
> bucks. If you want to give yourself a treat, give it a try.
>
> I've also experimented with ice. A bit of a gimmick, but it does make a
> little difference. You can buy molds to make ice balls. I have one
> that makes four but bought another that makes two balls, each 2.3", and
> clear ice. The idea is that the clear ball will melt slower and let the
> flavor open up but not dilute. If nothing else, is looks good in a nice
> glass.
>
> My son never drank good liquor itself, mostly vodka in juice kind of
> things so it has been fun experimenting with him. We've tried a handful
> of different gins with tonic, now a couple of bourbon and rye.

I never mix bourbon or brandy, they taste good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-07 7:13 p.m., wrote:
> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 2:09:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Life is too short for cheap booze.
>>
>> Yesterday I went to the liquor store to replenish supplies. I usually
>> have on hand something from each of the food groups, bourbon, scotch,
>> rye, rum, vodka, gin.
>>
>> I was low on bourbon and out of rye so I picked up a Makers Mark 46 as
>> I've liked it in the past. Then I was not sure what else to get and
>> considered another Crown Royal. They also have two premium versions of
>> it so, for a few bucks more I got the XO.
>>
>> My son came over for a drink yesterday so I opened the bottle for us to
>> try. Wow, this is smooooooooth drinking. Well worth the few extra
>> bucks. If you want to give yourself a treat, give it a try.
>>
>> I've also experimented with ice. A bit of a gimmick, but it does make a
>> little difference. You can buy molds to make ice balls. I have one
>> that makes four but bought another that makes two balls, each 2.3", and
>> clear ice. The idea is that the clear ball will melt slower and let the
>> flavor open up but not dilute. If nothing else, is looks good in a nice
>> glass.
>>
>> My son never drank good liquor itself, mostly vodka in juice kind of
>> things so it has been fun experimenting with him. We've tried a handful
>> of different gins with tonic, now a couple of bourbon and rye.

> I never mix bourbon or brandy, they taste good.

Most of them do not need mix if you get the good stuff. Whiskey is good
straight, with a bit of water or on the rocks. Good gin is nice on ice
with a twist of lemon. White rum is good on ice with a slice of lemon
or lime. Dark rum is good sipping on its own. Ice cold vodka is nice
knocked back in shots.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 20:07:26 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-06-07 7:13 p.m., wrote:
>> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 2:09:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> Life is too short for cheap booze.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I went to the liquor store to replenish supplies. I usually
>>> have on hand something from each of the food groups, bourbon, scotch,
>>> rye, rum, vodka, gin.
>>>
>>> I was low on bourbon and out of rye so I picked up a Makers Mark 46 as
>>> I've liked it in the past. Then I was not sure what else to get and
>>> considered another Crown Royal. They also have two premium versions of
>>> it so, for a few bucks more I got the XO.
>>>
>>> My son came over for a drink yesterday so I opened the bottle for us to
>>> try. Wow, this is smooooooooth drinking. Well worth the few extra
>>> bucks. If you want to give yourself a treat, give it a try.
>>>
>>> I've also experimented with ice. A bit of a gimmick, but it does make a
>>> little difference. You can buy molds to make ice balls. I have one
>>> that makes four but bought another that makes two balls, each 2.3", and
>>> clear ice. The idea is that the clear ball will melt slower and let the
>>> flavor open up but not dilute. If nothing else, is looks good in a nice
>>> glass.
>>>
>>> My son never drank good liquor itself, mostly vodka in juice kind of
>>> things so it has been fun experimenting with him. We've tried a handful
>>> of different gins with tonic, now a couple of bourbon and rye.

>> I never mix bourbon or brandy, they taste good.

>Most of them do not need mix if you get the good stuff. Whiskey is good
>straight, with a bit of water or on the rocks. Good gin is nice on ice
>with a twist of lemon. White rum is good on ice with a slice of lemon
>or lime. Dark rum is good sipping on its own. Ice cold vodka is nice
>knocked back in shots.

I support this message.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Terry Coombs wrote:
> > Right now : Tenderness from Steppenwolf Gold .

> That's a bit too country for me:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rUAOfEzIv0>

I have an old Steppenwolf album from the 70's.
Without looking I think it's a double album.

Anyway...the one song they did that I remember really
loving at the time was, "The Pusher." That was
seriously good music, at high volume of course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"When it comes down to the drinking, Gordon's is a classic,
straightforward London dry gin. It tastes like juniper. Cool, I like
juniper. But what really impresses me about Gordon's is that it defies
conventional bottom shelf wisdom, which holds that the most successful
bargain boozes are humble and inoffensive renditions of their betters.
Not in this case; Gordon's London Dry gin is aggressive, even at a
lowly 80 proof (the good stuff runs around 95)"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-08 6:27 a.m., Gary wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>> Right now : Tenderness from Steppenwolf Gold .

>> That's a bit too country for me:
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rUAOfEzIv0>

> I have an old Steppenwolf album from the 70's.
> Without looking I think it's a double album.
>
> Anyway...the one song they did that I remember really
> loving at the time was, "The Pusher." That was
> seriously good music, at high volume of course.

That was the sound track in the opening scene of Easy Rider, one of the
great movies of the decade.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > When I was 17 I tried a shot of Gordon's gin. It tasted to me
> > like
> > what insecticide should taste like. oh man.
> > That one shot was my first and last drink of gin ever. true!
> >

> Wait for a hot humid summer day and try a gin and tonic in a nice tall
> glass with lots of ice and a slice of lime.

It's only June 8 today. There will be plenty of hot and humid
summer days in the next 2-3 months. Arrghh@

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2019 4:29 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I remember that Harvey Wallangers were popular back in the 1970s.

Very much so! No longer.

As I stated b4, most ppl, here, don't even know the origin of the name,
"Wallbangers", which we have one of.

I'm so old, I recall the 50's. A place that was famous for its ribs was
called "Poor Red's" in El Dorado, CA. It was also known for its "Gold
Cadillac's" (requires Galliano). BUT, I recall the 60's when Poor Red's
was known fer its ribs and "Grasshoppers" (Creme de Menthe). Like I
sed, things change.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gilbey's gin---London 'Dry Style' (not sweet) gin made in the U.S. Made from 100% grain neutral spirits. Spicey, zesty nose. Some berry flavors, also minerals, herbs, and spices. Creamy texture. Dry, minerally finish. Good for mixing. 'Wine Enthusiast' gives it 88 point.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-08 10:19 a.m., notbob wrote:
> On 6/7/2019 4:29 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I remember that Harvey Wallangers were popular back in the 1970s.

> Very much so!Â* No longer.
>
> As I stated b4, most ppl, here, don't even know the origin of the name,
> "Wallbangers", which we have one of.
>
> I'm so old, I recall the 50's.Â* A place that was famous for its ribs was
> called "Poor Red's" in El Dorado, CA.Â* It was also known for its "Gold
> Cadillac's" (requires Galliano).Â* BUT, I recall the 60's when Poor Red's
> was known fer its ribs and "Grasshoppers" (Creme de Menthe).Â* Like I
> sed, things change.Â*

I always assumed that the extra shot of booze would get people drunk and
it would be like banging their heads. The Freddie Fudpucker variation,
with even more booze, was a silly little tongue twisted that those who
got drunk on them would turn into lewd variations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 5:00:40 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I also have a gun and do not like Scotch.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Let's make Bruce a nervous wreck; let's clean our guns together and make him
sit here and watch as we handle them with abandon.

))

Crown Pork Roast tom General Cooking 6 20-11-2007 07:20 AM
Turkey Crown. How Big? Merryterry General Cooking 23 20-12-2006 01:14 PM
1968 bottle of crown royal [email protected] General Cooking 35 17-05-2006 04:16 AM
herbal teas by 3-crown Dmitri Tea 0 17-11-2003 02:01 AM