Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A pretty darn good mustard...

On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 16:10:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I love that fake wasabi so my guess is that I won't like the REAL
>> wasabi as much so there's not much point in my spending a lot of time
>> seeking it out. I did take a picture of some REAL wasabi though.
>> Whoopie!
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...-8Q.2mAW7S5y6j
>> MaaM69R1Dexq

>Sticker shock for sure there!
>
>I have had real wasabi a few times, but frankly the tin with the powder
>that is regular hoseradish and coloring, works fine for me.

How does the real thing taste compared to the horseradish/green
coloring?

>A lot of the time, I like 'asain seeming' (but made 100% in the USA)
>that says 'wasabi mayo'. The ingredients are horseradish and a little
>green food coloring to make it seem a little special. Call me silly but
>I like the little touch there.

Do you also like pasta in the shape of little animals?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> from Medscape
>

> "Dietary fat, whether saturated or not, is not a cause of obesity,
> heart disease, or any other chronic disease of civilization."
> "Obesity is a disorder of excess fat accumulation, not overeating, and
> not sedentary behavior."
> "Consuming excess calories does not cause us to grow fatter, any more
> than it causes a child to grow taller."
> "Expending more energy than we consume does not lead to long-term
> weight loss; it leads to hunger."
> "Fattening and obesity are caused by an imbalance€”a disequilibrium€”in
> the hormonal regulation of adipose tissue and fat metabolism. Fat
> synthesis and storage exceed the mobilization of fat from the adipose
> tissue and its subsequent oxidation. We become leaner when the
> hormonal regulation of the fat tissue reverses this balance."
> "Insulin is the primary regulator of fat storage. When insulin levels
> are elevated€”either chronically or after a meal€”we accumulate fat in
> our fat tissue. When insulin levels fall, we release fat from our fat
> tissue and use it for fuel."

Well, I'll stay old school and trim. While helping our daughter trim a
bit for Navy entry (she was at 160 and had to be 152, now 146 4 months
later BTW) we simply paid attention to diet more and turned out she
didn't know how to figure calories. She's smart and caught right on.

Don and I are natural 'endotherms' and while middle age had us gain a
little as most do, we both can still fit in most clothes from our
mid-30's. Don is at 178 now, was 185 (5ft 8 I think). I've dropped 7
lbs from the better attention to healthier foods as well so 117 at 5ft
1 right now.

None of this was done in any radical way with our shift. We have
always eaten healthy with at least 1/3 of the food in any day being
fruits and veggies. We only shifted to pay attention to treats which
are now in little 100 calorie packs of chips and such or lavosh
crackers. A bit more steam cooking and less frying.

The article above seems to absolve one of any effort like 'it's all in
your genes' but while some find it easier to lose than others, the idea
that if you take in less than you expend, DOES work. Always.
Regardless of any other issues.

There are a lot of studies that show many who are over weight either
eat out of habit, or have innaccurate responses to hunger and satiation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> A lot of the time, I like 'asain seeming' (but made 100% in the USA)
> that says 'wasabi mayo'. The ingredients are horseradish and a little
> green food coloring to make it seem a little special. Call me silly but
> I like the little touch there.

Mayo with horseradish added is good.
Arby's "horsey sauce" on roast beast sandwiches.
Also mustard with horseradish added is good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 9:21:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > A lot of the time, I like 'asain seeming' (but made 100% in the USA)
> > that says 'wasabi mayo'. The ingredients are horseradish and a little
> > green food coloring to make it seem a little special. Call me silly but
> > I like the little touch there.

> Mayo with horseradish added is good.
> Arby's "horsey sauce" on roast beast sandwiches.
> Also mustard with horseradish added is good.

Sour cream with horseradish is also good on roast beef.

My husband idiosyncratically enjoys cocktail sauce on
pot roast.

Yesterday I had some leftover shrimp for lunch. I mixed
mayo, lime juice, and powdered chipotle chiles and dipped
them in. It was pretty good.

Here's something on mayochup for you, Gary:

<https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/06/04/heinz-mayo-ketchup-spread-means-something-different-in-canada/1205957001/>

Cindy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-06-05 10:19 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 9:21:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> cshenk wrote:
>>>
>>> A lot of the time, I like 'asain seeming' (but made 100% in the USA)
>>> that says 'wasabi mayo'. The ingredients are horseradish and a little
>>> green food coloring to make it seem a little special. Call me silly but
>>> I like the little touch there.

>> Mayo with horseradish added is good.
>> Arby's "horsey sauce" on roast beast sandwiches.
>> Also mustard with horseradish added is good.

> Sour cream with horseradish is also good on roast beef.
>
> My husband idiosyncratically enjoys cocktail sauce on
> pot roast.

Roast beef was a very common meal in our house when I was a kid. While a
lot of people like it with horseradish, we usually had it with chili
sauce. Cocktail sauce makes pretty good sense, though I am likely to
stick to one or the other.

> Yesterday I had some leftover shrimp for lunch. I mixed
> mayo, lime juice, and powdered chipotle chiles and dipped
> them in. It was pretty good.

Sounds good.

Coconut Oil is pretty darn bad, evidently [email protected] General Cooking 54 18-06-2017 06:02 PM
A pretty darn good salad Gary General Cooking 7 19-02-2016 11:30 PM
Pretty good hash Gary General Cooking 36 21-10-2015 02:56 AM
A pretty good lemonade A Moose in Love General Cooking 19 13-09-2011 06:26 AM
Darn Good Seasoning HeyRobi General Cooking 3 12-03-2005 09:21 AM