Old 16-03-2019, 04:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carrot Fries!

Well friends, like always I start cooking by looking in the veggie bin!
Since Charlotte is still trimming, this one came over as 'I haven't had
fries in ages!'

Now tomorrow is a freebee diet day as we celebrate Saint Patrick and
that means 'Daddy Fries' but she wanted something for other times.

Take carrots and cut lengthwise then placing the flat part down, cut to
fries (shoestring type cut works best here). You want enough for each
person to have 1 cup of carrot fries. Carrots are 52 calories a cup.
Potatoes are 105.

Dust the carrot pieces with 1/4 TB cornstarch per cup of cut carrots
then sprinkle with spices. We liked a sweet paprika and a whisky smoked
black pepper. Cornstarch is 30 calories per TB or 7.5 per 1/4 TB.

Drizzle 1/2 TB olive oil per cup of carrots and mix well. Olive oil is
variable by brand but the one on my counter says 120 per TB (15ML) so
60 calories used per cup of fries.

I had just finished baking bread at 400F so added these in a single
layer and flipped them 10 minutes later and they were done in about
another 10 minutes.

Calories per cup: 52+7.5+60=119.5 (call it 120, or 60 per 1/2 cup
serving size). Sodium negligible. Cost estimate hard to define because
of spice versions and that cornstarch lasts forever so can't recall the
price. A swag would be 20cents per cup?

Provided that carrots do not spike BG's in your case, this is Vegan,
Vegetarian, diabetic acceptable, low sodium, and while not classic
low-fat does fit in a low fat diet.

*classic low-fat can be odd. Often they required each dish not have
more than a percentage of the calories from fats. Because of the olive
oil, this one fails the classic test with more than 10% from fats.

Old 16-03-2019, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

[...]

==

That's new!!! I will have a look at it

Old 16-03-2019, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 11:00:35 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

Well friends, like always I start cooking by looking in the veggie bin!
Since Charlotte is still trimming, this one came over as 'I haven't had
fries in ages!'

Now tomorrow is a freebee diet day as we celebrate Saint Patrick and
that means 'Daddy Fries' but she wanted something for other times.

Take carrots and cut lengthwise then placing the flat part down, cut to
fries (shoestring type cut works best here). You want enough for each
person to have 1 cup of carrot fries. Carrots are 52 calories a cup.
Potatoes are 105.

sounds interesting

Dust the carrot pieces with 1/4 TB cornstarch per cup of cut carrots
then sprinkle with spices. We liked a sweet paprika and a whisky smoked
black pepper. Cornstarch is 30 calories per TB or 7.5 per 1/4 TB.

Drizzle 1/2 TB olive oil per cup of carrots and mix well. Olive oil is
variable by brand but the one on my counter says 120 per TB (15ML) so
60 calories used per cup of fries.

I had just finished baking bread at 400F so added these in a single
layer and flipped them 10 minutes later and they were done in about
another 10 minutes.

I think I will give it a go in an air fryer... there will be no need
to flip

Calories per cup: 52+7.5+60=119.5 (call it 120, or 60 per 1/2 cup
serving size). Sodium negligible. Cost estimate hard to define because
of spice versions and that cornstarch lasts forever so can't recall the
price. A swag would be 20cents per cup?

Provided that carrots do not spike BG's in your case, this is Vegan,
Vegetarian, diabetic acceptable, low sodium, and while not classic
low-fat does fit in a low fat diet.

Using McCormick spices it should be gluten free as well, although I
would take out the fancy smancy pepper you are using and just use
black pepper...
Unless you want to spice it up a bit then use lee kum kee sriracha
sauce... a dab will do ya..

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Old 17-03-2019, 06:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

What is the point of the cornstarch?

Old 17-03-2019, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 23:49:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
Well friends, like always I start cooking by looking in the veggie bin!
Since Charlotte is still trimming, this one came over as 'I haven't had
fries in ages!'

Now tomorrow is a freebee diet day as we celebrate Saint Patrick and
that means 'Daddy Fries' but she wanted something for other times.

Take carrots and cut lengthwise then placing the flat part down, cut to
fries (shoestring type cut works best here). You want enough for each
person to have 1 cup of carrot fries. Carrots are 52 calories a cup.
Potatoes are 105.

Probably those fercocktah pre-peeled bags of 'baby' carrots = farm
trash.

[...]

What's the point of all that labor and those carrot fries save no
calories, carrots suck up more oil than potatoes and contain a lot of
sugar... instead have real fries with spuds... simply cut the fries
larger and deep fry... larger fries have lots less surface area to
hold oil, and place them into a small brown paper bag to absorb oil...
shake with some salt if you like. Larger fries stay hot longer, the
bag will keep them hot longer too. I never buy fast food fries, they
are way too small and they are NOT real potatoes, they are extruded
from dehy potato paste and chems, and frozen. BLECH!
Fast food fries and frozen fries from the freezer section are the same
as thinking Pringles are potato chips. When was the last time any of
yoose ate hand cut fries, likely never.

Old 17-03-2019, 11:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

It makes then crispy with minimal oil needed. Probably an optimal
recipe for an Air fryer. I don't have one but recipes like this make
me think it might be a good addition here.
Old 18-03-2019, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 16, 2019 at 11:00:42 AM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
Take carrots and cut lengthwise then placing the flat part down, cut to
fries (shoestring type cut works best here). You want enough for each
person to have 1 cup of carrot fries. Carrots are 52 calories a cup.
Potatoes are 105.

Dust the carrot pieces with 1/4 TB cornstarch per cup of cut carrots
then sprinkle with spices. We liked a sweet paprika and a whisky smoked
black pepper. Cornstarch is 30 calories per TB or 7.5 per 1/4 TB.

Drizzle 1/2 TB olive oil per cup of carrots and mix well. Olive oil is
variable by brand but the one on my counter says 120 per TB (15ML) so
60 calories used per cup of fries.

I had just finished baking bread at 400F so added these in a single
layer and flipped them 10 minutes later and they were done in about
another 10 minutes.

YUM!!! I'll eat 'em by the plateful! With fork, and spices!

John Kuthe, Climate Activist!
Old 18-03-2019, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
[...]

Carrots are naturally crispy. I guess I don't get it.1

best fries Somebody General Cooking 24 06-10-2012 11:32 AM
What Cut Fries? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 34 06-02-2012 05:51 PM
I tried the BK fries too. Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 7 24-12-2011 03:58 AM
raw carrot or cooked carrot Jiayan Wu General Cooking 3 02-08-2009 08:56 PM
Yam Fries? tofuqueen General Cooking 4 12-04-2007 02:47 PM