Old 16-03-2019, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] ChristKiller@deathtochristianity.pl is offline

Default Carrot Fries!

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 11:00:35 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

Well friends, like always I start cooking by looking in the veggie bin!
Since Charlotte is still trimming, this one came over as 'I haven't had
fries in ages!'

Now tomorrow is a freebee diet day as we celebrate Saint Patrick and
that means 'Daddy Fries' but she wanted something for other times.

Take carrots and cut lengthwise then placing the flat part down, cut to
fries (shoestring type cut works best here). You want enough for each
person to have 1 cup of carrot fries. Carrots are 52 calories a cup.
Potatoes are 105.

sounds interesting

Dust the carrot pieces with 1/4 TB cornstarch per cup of cut carrots
then sprinkle with spices. We liked a sweet paprika and a whisky smoked
black pepper. Cornstarch is 30 calories per TB or 7.5 per 1/4 TB.

Drizzle 1/2 TB olive oil per cup of carrots and mix well. Olive oil is
variable by brand but the one on my counter says 120 per TB (15ML) so
60 calories used per cup of fries.

I had just finished baking bread at 400F so added these in a single
layer and flipped them 10 minutes later and they were done in about
another 10 minutes.

I think I will give it a go in an air fryer... there will be no need
to flip

Calories per cup: 52+7.5+60=119.5 (call it 120, or 60 per 1/2 cup
serving size). Sodium negligible. Cost estimate hard to define because
of spice versions and that cornstarch lasts forever so can't recall the
price. A swag would be 20cents per cup?

Provided that carrots do not spike BG's in your case, this is Vegan,
Vegetarian, diabetic acceptable, low sodium, and while not classic
low-fat does fit in a low fat diet.

Using McCormick spices it should be gluten free as well, although I
would take out the fancy smancy pepper you are using and just use
black pepper...
Unless you want to spice it up a bit then use lee kum kee sriracha
sauce... a dab will do ya..

*classic low-fat can be odd. Often they required each dish not have
more than a percentage of the calories from fats. Because of the olive
oil, this one fails the classic test with more than 10% from fats.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____