Old 16-01-2012, 12:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Cut Fries?

If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
curious Here are a few I can think of.

thick cut steak fries
quarter fries
shoestring fries
coin fries
waffle fries

Any others?

Jill

Old 16-01-2012, 01:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 7:33*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? *Just
curious *Here are a few I can think of.

thick cut steak fries
quarter fries
shoestring fries
coin fries
waffle fries

Any others?

Jill

I like fries cut into thick wedges. I just looked at a RR site, and
for steak fries she wants them cut into 'thin' strips.
Although she does them in the oven...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html
{
Ingredients

5 russet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme, eyeball it
1 teaspoon dried oregano, eyeball it
1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as Montreal Steak
Seasoning or, salt and pepper
}
Old 16-01-2012, 02:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-01-16, jmcquown wrote:

shoestring fries

I've been buying shoestring fries cuz you and pan fry them with only a
little oil. I then eat 'em with chopsticks.

nb

--
vi --the root of evil
Old 16-01-2012, 02:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" wrote in message
[...]

I like quarter fries. Those RR mentioned aren't exactly "thin". Quartered
baking potatoes rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with dried thyme and
oregano and a little seasoned salt, roasted like baked potatoes, are pretty
terrific. I used to eat at a place that battered and fried them. But
baking is just as good. I also bake skinny fries

Jill

Old 16-01-2012, 02:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-01-16, jmcquown wrote:

shoestring fries

I've been buying shoestring fries cuz you and pan fry them with only a
little oil. I then eat 'em with chopsticks.

nb

I buy shoestring fries but I bake them.

Jill

Old 16-01-2012, 03:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-01-16, jmcquown wrote:

I buy shoestring fries but I bake them.

I can see that, but since I've cut back so much on meat, cheese, and butter and
such, I actually need to get some fats into my diet. It be cold here
in dees here moun-taynes! (brrrr...)

nb

--
vi --the root of evil
Old 16-01-2012, 03:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 7:33*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? *Just
curious *Here are a few I can think of.

thick cut steak fries
quarter fries
shoestring fries
coin fries
waffle fries

Any others?

Jill

Coin - for oven fries. I never deep fry.
Old 16-01-2012, 03:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Although she does them in the oven...http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ak-fries-recip...
{
Ingredients

* * 5 russet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
* * 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* * 1 teaspoon dried thyme, eyeball it
* * 1 teaspoon dried oregano, eyeball it
* * 1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as Montreal Steak
Seasoning or, salt and pepper

}

I sprinkle with paprika too - helps me see during the turning process.
Old 16-01-2012, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 16, 4:33*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? *Just
curious *Here are a few I can think of.

thick cut steak fries
quarter fries
shoestring fries
coin fries
waffle fries

Any others?

I might just make Saratoga chips. But when I've made fries at home, I
set the slicer to about a quarter inch, then I cut by eye to about a
1/4-3/8.

Old 16-01-2012, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 7:33 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
curious Here are a few I can think of.

thick cut steak fries
quarter fries
shoestring fries
coin fries
waffle fries

Any others?

Jill

Coin - for oven fries. I never deep fry.

I don't deep fry either. At Publix I buy the store brand "restaurant style"
shoestring fries They bake up nice and crispy.

Jill

Old 16-01-2012, 04:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

"A Moose in Love" wrote in message
..
.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...k-fries-recipe
/index.html {
Ingredients

5 russet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme, eyeball it
1 teaspoon dried oregano, eyeball it
1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend, such as Montreal Steak
Seasoning or, salt and pepper

I like quarter fries. Those RR mentioned aren't exactly "thin".
Quartered baking potatoes rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with
dried thyme and oregano and a little seasoned salt, roasted like baked
potatoes, are pretty terrific. I used to eat at a place that battered
and fried them. But baking is just as good. I also bake skinny fries

Jill

How long how hot?

I'd guess 400 about 45 min?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Old 16-01-2012, 05:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 07:33:00 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
curious Here are a few I can think of.

thick cut steak fries
quarter fries
shoestring fries
coin fries
waffle fries

Any others?

What are quarter fries - wedges? Those are 8'ths or 6'ths. I have
never seen a wedge with a right angle.

Quarter fries are quarted baking potatoes. Cut lengthwise and brushed with
olive oil and seasoned, then baked. They're crispy on the ouside and nicely
tender on the inside.

My potato wedges (with Romano cheese):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7275891...7519/lightbox/

-sw

Nice, but the fries should have been hot enough to melt the cheese

Jill

Old 16-01-2012, 05:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote:

If you had a potato or two and you had to make fries... what cut? Just
curious Here are a few I can think of.

thick cut steak fries
quarter fries
shoestring fries
coin fries
waffle fries

Any others?

Ripple Cut, chunks... of course I'd never bother to french fry two
measly spuds... before heating oil gotta be two pounds minimum.

Old 16-01-2012, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

Roughly, yes. Hot oven, 45 minutes to an hour for quartered baking potato
fries.

Jill

best fries Somebody General Cooking 24 06-10-2012 11:32 AM
I tried the BK fries too. Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 7 24-12-2011 03:58 AM
Yam Fries? tofuqueen General Cooking 4 12-04-2007 02:47 PM
It *comes* with fries ... Nancy Young General Cooking 8 03-04-2006 03:56 AM