Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight ( tad late posting)

A homemade freezer dinner, prepared and portioned out in serving sizes
several weeks ago: chicken stew. Spooned over a couple of crumbled
biscuits. Quite tasty; I was hungry and it hit the spot.

I made and portioned out this stew for the freezer when the temps
outside were around 70F. Tonight it might get down to freezing. It
doesn't matter. This is a nice hot meal regardless of outside
temperatures.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>A homemade freezer dinner, prepared and portioned out in serving sizes
>several weeks ago: chicken stew. Spooned over a couple of crumbled
>biscuits. Quite tasty; I was hungry and it hit the spot.
>
> I made and portioned out this stew for the freezer when the temps outside
> were around 70F. Tonight it might get down to freezing. It doesn't
> matter. This is a nice hot meal regardless of outside temperatures.
>
> Jill

I made a pork and veggie stir fry with ginger sauce and brown rice. I won't
be eating that. Picked up a package of store brand scalloped potatoes with
three cheese and onion. I'll have that with perhaps some bacon and raw
celery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 22:30:00 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>A homemade freezer dinner, prepared and portioned out in serving sizes
>several weeks ago: chicken stew. Spooned over a couple of crumbled
>biscuits. Quite tasty; I was hungry and it hit the spot.
>
>I made and portioned out this stew for the freezer when the temps
>outside were around 70F. Tonight it might get down to freezing. It
>doesn't matter. This is a nice hot meal regardless of outside
>temperatures.
>
>Jill

well I had chili last night, well I had some nacho chips dipped in
chili and it was marvelous. I froze all the rest of what I had and
today I am thinking I want to defrost some and maybe dehydrate some.
just to see how it goes and if it effects the flavor or anything.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I made and portioned out this stew for the freezer when the temps
> outside were around 70F. Tonight it might get down to freezing. It
> doesn't matter. This is a nice hot meal regardless of outside
> temperatures.

lol Yes, we know. Give it a rest, dataw-girl.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I made a pork and veggie stir fry with ginger sauce and brown rice. I won't
> be eating that.

Wth is wrong with you, girl? That sounds good.

> Picked up a package of store brand scalloped potatoes with
> three cheese and onion.

While I have nothing against prepared foods from the store, I'm
surprised that you bought that unless you were shopping hungry
and it was an impulse buy. I'm making a small batch of scalloped
potatoes as we speak to finish off my older potatoes. Nothing
wrong with them, just want to eat those first before I get into
the new bag I bought yesterday.

The new bag...3lb smaller than average red potatoes. All just
slighty bigger than a golfball. My favorite potato and size.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I made a pork and veggie stir fry with ginger sauce and brown rice. I
>> won't
>> be eating that.

> Wth is wrong with you, girl? That sounds good.

Not to me, it doesn't. The only pork eat is crisp bacon. I can't digest the
veggies I put in it and I don't like ginger in savory foods. It must have
been good though as there was none left.

>> Picked up a package of store brand scalloped potatoes with
>> three cheese and onion.

> While I have nothing against prepared foods from the store, I'm
> surprised that you bought that unless you were shopping hungry
> and it was an impulse buy. I'm making a small batch of scalloped
> potatoes as we speak to finish off my older potatoes. Nothing
> wrong with them, just want to eat those first before I get into
> the new bag I bought yesterday.

I wasn't hungry but it was an impluse buy because it was cheap. I haven't
gotten my electric bill yet but I know it will be high so I am cutting all
the corners I can. I am not buying any fresh potatoes now (except for sweet)
unless I get them for super cheap or I have a plan for them. We tend to eat
more rice or pasta than potatoes and we can't finish a big bag before they
sprout, even if I give some to Angela.

When Country Farms or Yakima Fruit opens, I plan to buy a lot more fresh
veggies. Right now I am pretty much only buying carrots, celery, lettuce,
onions and anything else that I find a good price on. Slim pickin's! I am
sometimes finding marked down bags of cut up things for stir fry or those
squash cubes that I got the other day. If I am not going to use them right
away, they are put in the freezer. Am pretty much only buying reduced price
meats for the freezer as well.

I am trying hard not to waste food. Gardener has taken a night job as well
so he's not home as often. I am cooking brown rice and beans from scratch
and leaving them in the fridge. I told him I would only cook meals if I knew
he would be here to eat. I have portioned out packages of cooked ground beef
or chicken in the freezer. He has often been making his own meals by using
those things, then adding eggs, cheese, frozen veggies and sauces. I do make
a big salad a few times a week. The salad always gets eaten. Also try to
make some kind of bread once or twice a week.

> The new bag...3lb smaller than average red potatoes. All just
> slighty bigger than a golfball. My favorite potato and size.

I like the small ones. Can cook whole and don't have to cut them up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > The new bag...3lb smaller than average red potatoes. All just
> > slighty bigger than a golfball. My favorite potato and size.

> I like the small ones. Can cook whole and don't have to cut them up.

One thing I've liked but haven't had in years is just to cut into
bite size pieces, skin and all, boil them then drain and add
butter plus s&p. Just that simple but delicious for a side dish.