Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I am making a big pot of chili tonight, what about you?

Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
not even post in. Even though it is already amazing and I just
finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
be sooo good...

What are you having??
--

"There are idiots among us, and they all believe in a god"
~Toidi Uoy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
> I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
> and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
> gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
> not even post in.

Lots of chili recipes are gluten free.

> Even though it is already amazing and I just
> finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
> spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
> meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
> be sooo good...
>
> What are you having??

Some sort of chicken. Probably with a slice of bread. Preceded
by a big salad.

A classic Tuesday night. I generally don't make an elaborate
meal after I get home from work.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 13:00:25 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 3:20:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
>> I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
>> and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
>> gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
>> not even post in.

>Lots of chili recipes are gluten free.
>
>> Even though it is already amazing and I just
>> finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
>> spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
>> meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
>> be sooo good...
>>
>> What are you having??

>Some sort of chicken. Probably with a slice of bread. Preceded
>by a big salad.

What are we talking? the jerry signfield big salad? what all are you
going to put on it? I am a salad nut, I must eat 2 heads of iceberg
lettuce a week....

I bought 2 heads this weekend one sat and one sun... I only have one
left LOL

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My secret for chili is coffee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I made a big pot last week; needed to work on making room in my freezer for individual portions,
so after I divided it up into 15 portions, I put it out on the deck to freeze (temps were in the teens,
mostly) until I had room in the freezer. I use the deck for freezing stuff all winter when it is cold
enough.

I wanted to have some the next day for supper, and the deck door (slider) was frozen shut. I was
unable to get it from the outside because of the snow cover and my canes. So this past Friday, my
neighbor walked around, grabbed the insulated bag the portions were in, and brought it to my front
door. The next day, the door was all thawed out. All I had to do was wait a day. Too funny.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 14:54:40 -0800 (PST), Thomas >
wrote:

>My secret for chili is coffee.

Interesting... can you be a bit more verbose with your coffee and
chili?

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
> I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
> and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
> gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
> not even post in. Even though it is already amazing and I just
> finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
> spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
> meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
> be sooo good...
>
> What are you having??

Alphabet soup. That's what your post looks like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 13:00:25 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 3:20:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >> Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
> >> I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
> >> and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
> >> gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
> >> not even post in.

> >Lots of chili recipes are gluten free.
> >
> >> Even though it is already amazing and I just
> >> finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
> >> spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
> >> meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
> >> be sooo good...
> >>
> >> What are you having??

> >Some sort of chicken. Probably with a slice of bread. Preceded
> >by a big salad.

> What are we talking? the jerry signfield big salad? what all are you
> going to put on it? I am a salad nut, I must eat 2 heads of iceberg
> lettuce a week....

Sorry, don't know anything about Jerry Seinfeld. It was probably
2-3 cups of greens, plus other stuff.

Romaine, carrots, cucumber, radishes, grape tomatoes. Dressed
with balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil.

> I bought 2 heads this weekend one sat and one sun... I only have one
> left LOL

I buy one or two six-packs of romaine "hearts" every week.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>I buy one or two six-packs of romaine "hearts" every week.

I buy the full heads, I prefer the large deep green leaves... and when
in good shape I know it's fresh... hearts are salvage... the decayed
outer leaves are removed and to add insult to injury they ask a
premium price. And worse, hearts are misted with a chemical similar
to what florists use to keep flowers longer... celery hearts the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 10:06:47 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> >I buy one or two six-packs of romaine "hearts" every week.

> I buy the full heads, I prefer the large deep green leaves... and when
> in good shape I know it's fresh... hearts are salvage... the decayed
> outer leaves are removed and to add insult to injury they ask a
> premium price. And worse, hearts are misted with a chemical similar
> to what florists use to keep flowers longer... celery hearts the same.

We prefer the hearts, just as we prefer celery hearts.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
> I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
> and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
> gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
> not even post in. Even though it is already amazing and I just
> finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
> spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
> meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
> be sooo good...
>
> What are you having??
> --

chili 24 hours later. i wouldn't mind reading your technique/recipe.
mine's simple. inside round cut into small cubes. i put passata into a pot. add chickStock. add diced onion. add diced garlic. add chili powder, a bit of salt, paprika (mild), some oregano, some cumin, and a bit of hot sauce. simmer for an hour. then add the cubes of beef and simmer for 2 or so hours. note i don't brown beef, onion, or anything. that's because it doesn't really need it, and it is healthier as it doesn't create free radicals. add drained and rinsed red kidney beans .5 hour before serving. i use commercial chili powder. i could purchase powdered ancho, but it is so expensive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 11:55:59 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 3:20:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
> > I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
> > and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
> > gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
> > not even post in. Even though it is already amazing and I just
> > finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
> > spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
> > meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
> > be sooo good...
> >
> > What are you having??
> > --

> chili 24 hours later. i wouldn't mind reading your technique/recipe.
> mine's simple. inside round cut into small cubes. i put passata into a pot. add chickStock. add diced onion. add diced garlic. add chili powder, a bit of salt, paprika (mild), some oregano, some cumin, and a bit of hot sauce. simmer for an hour. then add the cubes of beef and simmer for 2 or so hours. note i don't brown beef, onion, or anything. that's because it doesn't really need it, and it is healthier as it doesn't create free radicals. add drained and rinsed red kidney beans .5 hour before serving. i use commercial chili powder. i could purchase powdered ancho, but it is so expensive.

oh yeah. i also added quartered white mushrooms. not a purist chili, but it's good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 08:55:55 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 3:20:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
>> I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
>> and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
>> gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
>> not even post in. Even though it is already amazing and I just
>> finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
>> spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
>> meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
>> be sooo good...
>>
>> What are you having??
>> --

>chili 24 hours later. i wouldn't mind reading your technique/recipe.
>mine's simple. inside round cut into small cubes. i put passata into a pot. add chickStock. add diced onion. add diced garlic. add chili powder, a bit of salt, paprika (mild), some oregano, some cumin, and a bit of hot sauce. simmer for an hour. then add the cubes of beef and simmer for 2 or so hours. note i don't brown beef, onion, or anything. that's because it doesn't really need it, and it is healthier as it doesn't create free radicals. add drained and rinsed red kidney beans .5 hour before serving. i use commercial chili powder. i could purchase powdered ancho, but it is so expensive.

The thing about browning the beef beforehand is you get to drain off a
lot of fat and cholesterol...

This last batch of chili that I made did not follow a recipe. I just
threw in what I wanted and it was freakin awesome...

Here is what I remember...

Browned the beef after I chopped onions I added those and chopped
carrots and added those. By that time the excess oil was ready to be
drained so I just poured it into a bowl to be used at another time to
make french fries. A can of Bushes Black beans the entire can, then
Bushes refried beans the entire can. And about another half can of
water. Then I added a pack of McCormick gluten free chili
<https://www.google.com/search?q=gluten+free+McCormic+chili&rlz=1C1AVNE_en US716US716&oq=gluten+free+McCormic+chili&aqs=chrom e..69i57.11423j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>
spice. It is just an easy way to get a bunch of spices in at once then
added about a tablespoon of sriracha sauce I added a little extra
paprika salt and black pepper. Then I let it simmer for about 20 mins
to let the veg soften and the flavors to combine and allow the water
to reduce by about half.

It took about 30 minutes total.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Mar 2019 12:32:57 -0600,
wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 08:55:55 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 3:20:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>> Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
>>> I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
>>> and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
>>> gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
>>> not even post in. Even though it is already amazing and I just
>>> finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
>>> spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
>>> meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
>>> be sooo good...
>>>
>>> What are you having??
>>> --

>>chili 24 hours later. i wouldn't mind reading your technique/recipe.
>>mine's simple. inside round cut into small cubes. i put passata into a pot. add chickStock. add diced onion. add diced garlic. add chili powder, a bit of salt, paprika (mild), some oregano, some cumin, and a bit of hot sauce. simmer for an hour. then add the cubes of beef and simmer for 2 or so hours. note i don't brown beef, onion, or anything. that's because it doesn't really need it, and it is healthier as it doesn't create free radicals. add drained and rinsed red kidney beans .5 hour before serving. i use commercial chili powder. i could purchase powdered ancho, but it is so expensive.

>The thing about browning the beef beforehand is you get to drain off a
>lot of fat and cholesterol...
>
>This last batch of chili that I made did not follow a recipe. I just
>threw in what I wanted and it was freakin awesome...
>
>Here is what I remember...
>
>Browned the beef after I chopped onions I added those and chopped
>carrots and added those. By that time the excess oil was ready to be
>drained so I just poured it into a bowl to be used at another time to
>make french fries.

Oops I forgot to put I also added a bit of sausage

> A can of Bushes Black beans the entire can, then
>Bushes refried beans the entire can. And about another half can of
>water. Then I added a pack of McCormick gluten free chili
><https://www.google.com/search?q=gluten+free+McCormic+chili&rlz=1C1AVNE_en US716US716&oq=gluten+free+McCormic+chili&aqs=chrom e..69i57.11423j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>
>spice. It is just an easy way to get a bunch of spices in at once then
>added about a tablespoon of sriracha sauce I added a little extra
>paprika salt and black pepper. Then I let it simmer for about 20 mins
>to let the veg soften and the flavors to combine and allow the water
>to reduce by about half.
>
>It took about 30 minutes total.

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 6:55:59 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 3:20:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
> > I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
> > and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
> > gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
> > not even post in. Even though it is already amazing and I just
> > finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
> > spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
> > meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
> > be sooo good...
> >
> > What are you having??
> > --

> chili 24 hours later. i wouldn't mind reading your technique/recipe.
> mine's simple. inside round cut into small cubes. i put passata into a pot. add chickStock. add diced onion. add diced garlic. add chili powder, a bit of salt, paprika (mild), some oregano, some cumin, and a bit of hot sauce. simmer for an hour. then add the cubes of beef and simmer for 2 or so hours. note i don't brown beef, onion, or anything. that's because it doesn't really need it, and it is healthier as it doesn't create free radicals. add drained and rinsed red kidney beans .5 hour before serving. i use commercial chili powder. i could purchase powdered ancho, but it is so expensive.

If you can find a store that sells Korean foods, you will see many bags of dirt cheap Korean pepper powder. They sell it in half-kilo and kilo bags. Those guys go through a lot of pepper! There's two types, course and fine grinds. You probably should get both. It's relatively mild stuff so you might have to use 1/4 to a 1/2 cup. Your chili will be a wonderfully vibrant red.. I don't add tomatoes to my batch.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...tjSMencvnOvQUa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> If you can find a store that sells Korean foods, you will see many bags of dirt cheap Korean pepper powder. They sell it in half-kilo and kilo bags. Those guys go through a lot of pepper! There's two types, course and fine grinds. You probably should get both. It's relatively mild stuff so you might have to use 1/4 to a 1/2 cup. Your chili will be a wonderfully vibrant red. I don't add tomatoes to my batch.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...tjSMencvnOvQUa

That chili looked tasty but I wouldn't consider the color
a "vibrant red." See an eye doctor pronto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> Well I am making a rather large pot of chili to possibly freeze a bit,
>>> I will have some for my nachos and even for some chili cheese fries,
>>> and just a good warm bowl of chili. Now since it is GF and no one even
>>> gives a damn what the recipe will be because it is gluten free I will
>>> not even post in. Even though it is already amazing and I just
>>> finished cutting and potting the veggies to go with the meet and
>>> spices.... It needs to sit over the fire for awhile so the flavors can
>>> meld and the water will reduce by at least half. Oh this is going to
>>> be sooo good...
>>>
>>> What are you having??
>>> --

>>chili 24 hours later. i wouldn't mind reading your technique/recipe.
>>mine's simple. inside round cut into small cubes. i put passata into a
>>pot. add chickStock. add diced onion. add diced garlic. add chili
>>powder, a bit of salt, paprika (mild), some oregano, some cumin, and a bit
>>of hot sauce. simmer for an hour. then add the cubes of beef and simmer
>>for 2 or so hours. note i don't brown beef, onion, or anything. that's
>>because it doesn't really need it, and it is healthier as it doesn't
>>create free radicals. add drained and rinsed red kidney beans .5 hour
>>before serving. i use commercial chili powder. i could purchase powdered
>>ancho, but it is so expensive.

> The thing about browning the beef beforehand is you get to drain off a
> lot of fat and cholesterol...
>
> This last batch of chili that I made did not follow a recipe. I just
> threw in what I wanted and it was freakin awesome...
>
> Here is what I remember...
>
> Browned the beef after I chopped onions I added those and chopped
> carrots and added those. By that time the excess oil was ready to be
> drained so I just poured it into a bowl to be used at another time to
> make french fries. A can of Bushes Black beans the entire can, then
> Bushes refried beans the entire can. And about another half can of
> water. Then I added a pack of McCormick gluten free chili
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=gluten+free+McCormic+chili&rlz=1C1AVNE_en US716US716&oq=gluten+free+McCormic+chili&aqs=chrom e..69i57.11423j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>
> spice. It is just an easy way to get a bunch of spices in at once then
> added about a tablespoon of sriracha sauce I added a little extra
> paprika salt and black pepper. Then I let it simmer for about 20 mins
> to let the veg soften and the flavors to combine and allow the water
> to reduce by about half.
>
> It took about 30 minutes total.

Ugh! That is not chili!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 4:19:02 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > If you can find a store that sells Korean foods, you will see many bags of dirt cheap Korean pepper powder. They sell it in half-kilo and kilo bags. Those guys go through a lot of pepper! There's two types, course and fine grinds. You probably should get both. It's relatively mild stuff so you might have to use 1/4 to a 1/2 cup. Your chili will be a wonderfully vibrant red. I don't add tomatoes to my batch.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...tjSMencvnOvQUa

> That chili looked tasty but I wouldn't consider the color
> a "vibrant red." See an eye doctor pronto.

It's not me, it's the camera. The color balance was a little "off."

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...NYt8ZycvbUA8Fz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 14:14:49 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

.. .

wrote:

>>>chili 24 hours later. i wouldn't mind reading your technique/recipe.
>>>mine's simple. inside round cut into small cubes. i put passata into a
>>>pot. add chickStock. add diced onion. add diced garlic. add chili
>>>powder, a bit of salt, paprika (mild), some oregano, some cumin, and a bit
>>>of hot sauce. simmer for an hour. then add the cubes of beef and simmer
>>>for 2 or so hours. note i don't brown beef, onion, or anything. that's
>>>because it doesn't really need it, and it is healthier as it doesn't
>>>create free radicals. add drained and rinsed red kidney beans .5 hour
>>>before serving. i use commercial chili powder. i could purchase powdered
>>>ancho, but it is so expensive.

>> The thing about browning the beef beforehand is you get to drain off a
>> lot of fat and cholesterol...
>>
>> This last batch of chili that I made did not follow a recipe. I just
>> threw in what I wanted and it was freakin awesome...
>>
>> Here is what I remember...
>>
>> Browned the beef after I chopped onions I added those and chopped
>> carrots and added those. By that time the excess oil was ready to be
>> drained so I just poured it into a bowl to be used at another time to
>> make french fries. A can of Bushes Black beans the entire can, then
>> Bushes refried beans the entire can. And about another half can of
>> water. Then I added a pack of McCormick gluten free chili
>> <https://www.google.com/search?q=gluten+free+McCormic+chili&rlz=1C1AVNE_en US716US716&oq=gluten+free+McCormic+chili&aqs=chrom e..69i57.11423j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>
>> spice. It is just an easy way to get a bunch of spices in at once then
>> added about a tablespoon of sriracha sauce I added a little extra
>> paprika salt and black pepper. Then I let it simmer for about 20 mins
>> to let the veg soften and the flavors to combine and allow the water
>> to reduce by about half.
>>
>> It took about 30 minutes total.

>Ugh! That is not chili!

whether you think it is chili or not really does not mean anything at
all to anyone...

--

____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____