Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I am making CHILI

The secret ingredient thread (before it turned full MED) made me want to
cook a pot of chili. So I got out my most excellent PRO Kitchen Aid
mixer with the professional meat grinder attachment (metal one not
plastic) and got to work on 8 lbs of chuck roast from Smith's. These
older metal/aluminum attachments have a larger hole in the grinding die
than the newer ones and it makes a decent chili grind. The feed tube
hole is a little too small so I had to cut the chuck into fat beef
strips in order to feed it through. This chuck is pretty lean and I was
hoping to get a 20% fat mix. It looks to be less.

Anyway I now have a huge mixing bowl of nice fresh ground chuck to start
the recipe. Since I'm a Texan I'll be starting with this basic recipe
and playing Doctor man with it.. i.e. add the Thomas coffee and some
dark chocolate if there's any left.

http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/pedernaleschili.htm

I've made this recipe a bunch of times and it's simple and darn good.

I'm in northern New Mexico and picked up some super duper Chimayo red
chile powder and will add just enough to make my eyes start to water and
continue to adjust all the seasoning. I may add some beans since I'm low
on gas. We will eat it in a couple days after skimming a little fat off
the top. I like saltine crackers or tortillas with it.

The winter weather here (first pinions fire last night) makes me yearn
for chili, soups, and braised short ribs. Oh does that pinion burning
smell good. I have some pinion flavored coffee but I don't much like it.

After a couple of meals I'll freeze whats left for another day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" wrote in message news
The secret ingredient thread (before it turned full MED) made me want to
cook a pot of chili. So I got out my most excellent PRO Kitchen Aid
mixer with the professional meat grinder attachment (metal one not
plastic) and got to work on 8 lbs of chuck roast from Smith's. These
older metal/aluminum attachments have a larger hole in the grinding die
than the newer ones and it makes a decent chili grind. The feed tube
hole is a little too small so I had to cut the chuck into fat beef
strips in order to feed it through. This chuck is pretty lean and I was
hoping to get a 20% fat mix. It looks to be less.

====

Exactly what I do and have always done with my meat) and yes, my grinder
is metal! )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'm a midwesterner, so I can definitely live without the coffee and
> chocolate. Tried it once and hated it. OTOH, if my chili doesn't
> have beans in it, it ain't chili.:-)
>
> Different cultures, different chilis.
>
> -- ~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~ ~~ A mind
> is a terrible thing to lose. ~~

Yes chili is so regional. I don't even recognize it in Colorado. In
Colorado they have westmex in Texas it's Texmex. They don't at all
resemble each other.

I put very little coffee and chocolate.. really can't identify it
specifically. I will be making it today. Sometimes I add a splash of beer.

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking

With that title and the errant caps, I could sworn this would be
another Kuthe post.

-sw