DayDreamer

Default Making Chili!

My first attempt at chili! And a success, too.
I made this recently and it was great. A big hit with the BF, too.
Calorie count is 197 cal and 5 grams fat for 8 oz, which is a nice size
serving. I was given that cal count by the person who gave me the
recipe, but I would imagine it could vary depending on how lean your
ground beef is, no? I believe I used 90% lean ground sirloin for the
meat. I followed the basic recipe (I didn`t do any of the stuff to make
it extra spicier and I thought it was just about the perfect level of
spicy-ness, but some may like it hotter). I served with a loaf of nice
crusty Italian bread.
I`d love to hear others in the group "tried and true" chili recipes,
too.
2 pounds ground beef
One 29-ounce can tomato sauce
One 29-ounce can kidney beans (with liquid) One 29-ounce can pinto beans
(with liquid) 1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
1/2 cup diced green chili (2 chilies)
1/4 cup diced celery (1 stalk)
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons cumin powder
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups water
1. Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat; drain off the
fat.
2. Using a fork, crumble the cooked beef into pea-size pieces.
3. In a large pot, combine the beef plus all the remaining ingredients,
and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring every 15 minutes,
for 2 to 3 hours.
Makes about 12 servings.For spicier chili, add 1/2 teaspoon more black
pepper.
For much spicier chili, add 1 teaspoon black pepper and a tablespoon
cayenne pepper.
And for a real stomach stinger, add 5 or 6 sliced jalapeno peppers to
the pot.
Leftovers can be frozen for several months

zxcvbob

DayDreamer wrote:
> My first attempt at chili! And a success, too.
> I made this recently and it was great. A big hit with the BF, too.
> Calorie count is 197 cal and 5 grams fat for 8 oz, which is a nice size
> serving. I was given that cal count by the person who gave me the
> recipe, but I would imagine it could vary depending on how lean your
> ground beef is, no? I believe I used 90% lean ground sirloin for the
> meat. I followed the basic recipe (I didn`t do any of the stuff to make
> it extra spicier and I thought it was just about the perfect level of
> spicy-ness, but some may like it hotter). I served with a loaf of nice
> crusty Italian bread.
> I`d love to hear others in the group "tried and true" chili recipes,
> too.

I don't use a recipe, but when I made chili a few months ago I paid
pretty close attention to what I was doing and I wrote everything down
afterwards. Measurements are approximate. Substitute cornmeal for the
oats if you want.

Bob's Red Chili Without Tomatoes

1 to 1.5 pounds ground venison (or beef hamburger meat)
1 pound frozen ground turkey, thawed (or beef stew meat, or cube steak)
1 large (or 2 small) yellow onions
2 cups water
8 dried New Mexico or Guajillo chile peppers
4 large dried Ancho chile peppers
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 (15 oz) cans beef broth
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans or "chili beans"
1 Tbsp rolled oats
cayenne pepper, to taste [I used between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp]

Break up the venison in a large skillet and begin browning over high
heat. When the meat has turned gray and there is some grease in the
pan, add the turkey. Continue cooking until all is thoroughly done and
browned somewhat. Transfer to a large stockpot. Sit the dirty skillet
aside for later.

Remove stems from New Mexico chiles and put peppers in blender. Whir
until they are ground up pretty good. Tear the ancho chiles into large
pieces, removing stems and seeds. Put in small saucepan with the water;
simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, coarsely chop onions and sauté in the grease remaining in the
skillet. When onions are soft and becoming translucent, transfer to the
stockpot.

Pour the stewed anchos and water into the blender with the ground chiles
and blend until liquified. Pour the chile paste into stockpot. Rinse
the blender with a little water and pour that in the stockpot.

Add all remaining ingredients except the beans and the oatmeal. Simmer
for several hours. Add canned beans and simmer another 20 minutes.
Adjust seasoning (salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and maybe garlic
powder) to taste. Add the oatmeal, and simmer 10 or 15 minutes until
thickened (stir occasionally because it can burn at this point.)

Damsel in dis Dress

I was overjoyed to hear (DayDreamer) say:

>I`d love to hear others in the group "tried and true" chili recipes,
>too.

Since discovering black beans, I'll never go back to kidney beans.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Damsel's Midwestern Black Bean Chili

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

16 ounces dried black beans -- rinsed and sorted
1 pound ground beef
1 pound beef stew meat -- 1/2" cubes
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
1 medium green pepper -- finely chopped
1 clove garlic -- finely minced
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
5 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
water -- as needed

Rinse and sort the beans. Place into a 3-quart saucepan with 2 quarts of
water. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat. Let stand for one hour.
Drain; add fresh water, and bring to a second boil. Reduce heat and simmer
for one hour. Drain.

Coat stew meat with a small amount of flour. While beans are cooking,
brown ground beef and stew meat in a 4-quart saucepan (start the ground
beef first, so there is some fat in the pan to keep the stew meat from
sticking). When meat is browned, add the onion and green pepper. Cook
until the onion is translucent. Drain off any excess fat. Add garlic,
tomatoes, and spices. Simmer until beans are ready. Add beans and water,
if needed. Cook until beans are desired texture. Adjust seasonings if
needed.

Serve with crackers and shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese.

Yield:
"4 quarts"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Lynn from Fargo

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
(snip)

I still use kidney beans, but I wouldn't dream of making chili without
at least SOME black beans - especially vegetarian chili. Actually, I
make chili 16 quarts (or more) at a time in one of those big roasters.
I will post the recipe once I get it written down (if Google
cooperates!)
Lynn from Fargo
Thinking of bringing buffalo chili to the Southern Minnesota Cook In
in July

Damsel in dis Dress

I was overjoyed to read that "Lynn from Fargo" > posted:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>(snip)
>
>I still use kidney beans, but I wouldn't dream of making chili without
>at least SOME black beans - especially vegetarian chili. Actually, I
>make chili 16 quarts (or more) at a time in one of those big roasters.
>I will post the recipe once I get it written down (if Google
>cooperates!)
>
>Lynn from Fargo
>Thinking of bringing buffalo chili to the Southern Minnesota Cook In
>in July

Whoo-hoo! Crash and I both loved your marinated, skewered buffalo chunks.
Same with the lamb. We had never had either before. If you make this for
the cook-in, Crash will worship you forever. <G> I'm really looking
forward to seeing you again. You're a real sweetheart.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Damsel in dis Dress

>I was overjoyed to read that "Lynn from Fargo" > posted:
>
>>I still use kidney beans, but I wouldn't dream of making chili without
>>at least SOME black beans - especially vegetarian chili. Actually, I
>>make chili 16 quarts (or more) at a time in one of those big roasters.
>>I will post the recipe once I get it written down (if Google
>>cooperates!)
>>
>>Lynn from Fargo
>>Thinking of bringing buffalo chili to the Southern Minnesota Cook In
>>in July

Any chance that you might make that killer chicken salad again?

I'm still trying to figure out what my contributions will be. Possibly
shrimp rangoon and potstickers. We've also been accumulating fondue pots,
so we may do that on Friday evening.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, DayDreamer wrote the following -._
> My first attempt at chili! And a success, too.

I have been working on a chili as well. I am on revision four at this
time. The challange has been finding the way to make it so that both
5824 and I like it. She likes ground beef I like chunks of beef. She
can't stand onions and bell peppers an I love them. And she likes her
chili to have a thick gravy.

Here is what I have come up with so far.

Chili H4 ****
Servings: Fourteen (1 1/2 cups each for lunchs)
1 tbsp shortening
1 lb cubed stew meat
2 lb lean ground beef
5 cans kidney beans (drained)
1 1/2 onions, chopped
14.5 ounces chrushed tomatoes
1 (12 oz) tomatoe paste
2 - 5 fresh peppers (1 hobenaro 2 jalapino)
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp red peper
2 cans beer
500 ml red wine

# chop beef
# chop pepers (deseed if you want) and onions
# Melt the shortening in a large skillet over medium high heat.
# in large sauce pot on medium heat add paste, tomatoes, beans, spice,
# beer & wine
# Add the stew meat to skillet and brown well on all sides.
# while retaining juices transfer meet to pot
# in skillet brown ground beef
# while retaining juices transfer meet to pot
# saute onion & pepers in skillet w/ juices
# add to pot
# bring pot to boil
# Reduce heat to low, cover, simmer for 1 hour.
# serve w/ corn bread

##

I keep all my recipies in my palm pilot and with the small screen I
have had to use a very quick to read instruction style with the
smallest possible line wrapping.

Soon I hope to get them all on my webiste.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
Sheldon

Faux_Pseudo wrote:
> _.-In rec.food.cooking, DayDreamer wrote the following -._
> > My first attempt at chili! And a success, too.

> I have been working on a chili as well. I am on revision four at

this
> time. The challange has been finding the way to make it so that both
> 5824 and I like it. She likes ground beef I like chunks of beef.

She
> can't stand onions and bell peppers an I love them. And she likes

her
> chili to have a thick gravy.
>
> Here is what I have come up with so far.
>
> Chili H4 ****
> Servings: Fourteen (1 1/2 cups each for lunchs)
> 1 tbsp shortening
> 1 lb cubed stew meat
> 2 lb lean ground beef
> 5 cans kidney beans (drained)
> 1 1/2 onions, chopped
> 14.5 ounces chrushed tomatoes
> 1 (12 oz) tomatoe paste
> 2 - 5 fresh peppers (1 hobenaro 2 jalapino)
> 1 tbsp ground cumin
> 1 tbsp chili powder
> 1/2 tsp red peper
> 2 cans beer
> 500 ml red wine

You really can't call that chili, not with all those ingredients and
just one measely spoonful chili powder... and what, no garlic... phoo!

Sheldon

Bob Myers

Looks like it's time to start the "beans vs. no beans" knock-down,
drag-out fi...errr, "vigorous discussion" again, too...

Bob M.

Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Sheldon wrote the following -._
>> 1 tbsp shortening
>> 1 lb cubed stew meat
>> 2 lb lean ground beef
>> 5 cans kidney beans (drained)
>> 1 1/2 onions, chopped
>> 14.5 ounces chrushed tomatoes
>> 1 (12 oz) tomatoe paste
>> 2 - 5 fresh peppers (1 hobenaro 2 jalapino)
>> 1 tbsp ground cumin
>> 1 tbsp chili powder
>> 1/2 tsp red peper
>> 2 cans beer
>> 500 ml red wine

> You really can't call that chili, not with all those ingredients and
> just one measely spoonful chili powder... and what, no garlic... phoo!

I have tried it both with and without garlic. Just didn't seem to
need it so it got removed from the list as time went by.

As for the chili powder: one could add more but between the beer,
wine, cumin and peppers you are just wasting it.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson

Lynn from Fargo

I thought it was a tomato no tomato fi- um er vigorous discussion.
Lynn in Fargo
Making 4 gallons for a party tomorrow - round steak and ground pork

-L.

Faux_Pseudo wrote:
> _.-In rec.food.cooking, DayDreamer wrote the following -._
> > My first attempt at chili! And a success, too.

> I have been working on a chili as well. I am on revision four at

this
> time. The challange has been finding the way to make it so that both
> 5824 and I like it. She likes ground beef I like chunks of beef.

She
> can't stand onions and bell peppers an I love them. And she likes

her
> chili to have a thick gravy.
>
> Here is what I have come up with so far.
>
> Chili H4 ****
> Servings: Fourteen (1 1/2 cups each for lunchs)
> 1 tbsp shortening
> 1 lb cubed stew meat
> 2 lb lean ground beef
> 5 cans kidney beans (drained)
> 1 1/2 onions, chopped
> 14.5 ounces chrushed tomatoes
> 1 (12 oz) tomatoe paste
> 2 - 5 fresh peppers (1 hobenaro 2 jalapino)
> 1 tbsp ground cumin
> 1 tbsp chili powder
> 1/2 tsp red peper
> 2 cans beer

Sorry, but when people put beer in their chili it tastes and smells
like puke to me. I have never understood this practice.

-L.

Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, -L. wrote the following -._
> Sorry, but when people put beer in their chili it tastes and smells
> like puke to me. I have never understood this practice.

I don't mean to pry but I would probably seek medical help if you are
regularly consuming enough puke to alter the taste of other foods.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson
ilaboo

Faux_Pseudo wrote:

what the beer--actually the hops--you should not smell the beer as it
usually is slowlly simmered so the alcholoh and most of teh fragrancwe
is lost--what is left is atieing together of teh flavor--it is great
also in spagetti sauce (red)

hth
peter

zxcvbob

Sheldon wrote:

> Faux_Pseudo wrote:
>
>>_.-In rec.food.cooking, DayDreamer wrote the following -._
>>
>>>My first attempt at chili! And a success, too.

>>I have been working on a chili as well. I am on revision four at

> this
>
>>time. The challange has been finding the way to make it so that both
>>5824 and I like it. She likes ground beef I like chunks of beef.

> She
>
>>can't stand onions and bell peppers an I love them. And she likes

> her
>
>>chili to have a thick gravy.
>>
>>Here is what I have come up with so far.
>>
>>Chili H4 ****
>>Servings: Fourteen (1 1/2 cups each for lunchs)
>>1 tbsp shortening
>>1 lb cubed stew meat
>>2 lb lean ground beef
>>5 cans kidney beans (drained)
>>1 1/2 onions, chopped
>>14.5 ounces chrushed tomatoes
>>1 (12 oz) tomatoe paste
>>2 - 5 fresh peppers (1 hobenaro 2 jalapino)
>>1 tbsp ground cumin
>>1 tbsp chili powder
>>1/2 tsp red peper
>>2 cans beer
>>500 ml red wine

> You really can't call that chili, not with all those ingredients and
> just one measely spoonful chili powder... and what, no garlic... phoo!
>
> Sheldon

In my opinion, it's too much hot peppers and not flavorful peppers. All
the tomatoes, wine, beer, etc. is an attempt to compensate.

Fresh peppers are not a good substitute for dried peppers, and I don't
know why.

Bob

Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, ilaboo wrote the following -._
> what the beer--actually the hops--you should not smell the beer as it
> usually is slowlly simmered so the alcholoh and most of teh fragrancwe
> is lost--what is left is atieing together of teh flavor--it is great
> also in spagetti sauce (red)

correct, you will not taste 'beer' but the beer will flavor the whole
thing. Which is also why I have wine in there.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson
Day Dreamer

Wow, some really good sounding recipes were posted here - thank you to
everyone who replied. I`m anxious now to add stew meat into my chili
recipe, which I have not done before.

I`m pretty much a "follow the recipe to the letter" type of person, due
to not having alot of confidence to experiment! I need to get over that
- I think in the long run it will greatly improve my cooking skills. I`m
just so darned afraid of making a mistake and rendering a meal inedible.
Hmmm, that just gave me an idea for another thread......

Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob wrote the following -._
> In my opinion, it's too much hot peppers and not flavorful peppers.

As mentioned I am limited on the peper side. As much as I would love
to throw in a belpeper and some other stuff I can't because the other
person who has to eat it won't/can't if they are in there.

Also I have an issue getting things like flavor based pepers here in
my part of virginia. I can get hot pepers which may or may not be hot
depending on where they came from and the time of year, but finding
cerano and other peppers is a pain.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson
Marcella Peek

In article <AaA5e.289$H53.153@lakeread05>,
Faux_Pseudo > wrote:

> _.-In rec.food.cooking, ilaboo wrote the following -._
> > what the beer--actually the hops--you should not smell the beer as it
> > usually is slowlly simmered so the alcholoh and most of teh fragrancwe
> > is lost--what is left is atieing together of teh flavor--it is great
> > also in spagetti sauce (red)

> correct, you will not taste 'beer' but the beer will flavor the whole
> thing. Which is also why I have wine in there.

You know, I don't drink alcohol. I hate the taste of it. When my
husband makes his chili with beer in it, I can taste that hoppy, yucky
(to me) taste. He simmers it for hours so I don't think it's an issue
of it not cooking long enough. It's an issue of I don't like that taste
and I can taste it.

marcella
zxcvbob

Faux_Pseudo wrote:
> _.-In rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob wrote the following -._
>
>>In my opinion, it's too much hot peppers and not flavorful peppers.

> As mentioned I am limited on the peper side. As much as I would love
> to throw in a belpeper and some other stuff I can't because the other
> person who has to eat it won't/can't if they are in there.
>
> Also I have an issue getting things like flavor based pepers here in
> my part of virginia. I can get hot pepers which may or may not be hot
> depending on where they came from and the time of year, but finding
> cerano and other peppers is a pain.

*Dried* peppers is what you want. Serrano and jalapenos are for eating
fresh. Check out the whole and ground dried peppers he
<http://www.myspicer.com>

I haven't ordered from them yet because I haven't used up all the dried
peppers I bought locally a while back -- but I have used ground red
Chamayo peppers before and they make *wonderful* chili. Their heat is
rather unpredictable, so you usually have to adjust with a little
cayenne at the end.

Bob

Joseph Littleshoes

Faux_Pseudo wrote:

> _.-In rec.food.cooking, Sheldon wrote the following -._
> >> 1 tbsp shortening
> >> 1 lb cubed stew meat
> >> 2 lb lean ground beef
> >> 5 cans kidney beans (drained)
> >> 1 1/2 onions, chopped

I made a pot of chilli with meat & red beans a couple of days ago and
used leeks instead of an ordinary white or yellow onion. I was amazed
at how much more flavour the leeks gave to the chilli.

> >> 14.5 ounces chrushed tomatoes

It may just be me but i like the cans of crushed tomatoes with basil.

> >> 1 (12 oz) tomatoe paste
> >> 2 - 5 fresh peppers (1 hobenaro 2 jalapino)
> >> 1 tbsp ground cumin
> >> 1 tbsp chili powder
> >> 1/2 tsp red peper
> >> 2 cans beer
> >> 500 ml red wine

> > You really can't call that chili, not with all those ingredients and

> > just one measely spoonful chili powder... and what, no garlic...

> phoo!
>
> I have tried it both with and without garlic. Just didn't seem to
> need it so it got removed from the list as time went by.
>
> As for the chili powder: one could add more but between the beer,
> wine, cumin and peppers you are just wasting it.

Given the hot peppers and "red pepper" (cayenne i assume) the amount of
"chilli powder" seems irrelevant. I replace the cayenne with a Mexican
smoked paprika & use cumin seeds, lightly crushed, they seem to me to be
more flavourful than the powder.

IMO given the amount of spices in chilli the wine & beer is unnecessary,
and i would replace them with a good, strong beef stock. Garlic on the
other hand is a must.

Im going to make a leek soup with chicken stock to day just cause the
leeks are so inexpensive (hugh & 2 for a dollar) and so good. Will add
carrots & celery, garlic, s & p, a bit of white wine and butter for
lightly caramelizing about half the leeks.

Though fond of leek & potato soup i want to take full advantage of the
leek flavour so will forgo the cream and potatoes.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Day Dreamer wrote the following -._
> I`m pretty much a "follow the recipe to the letter" type of person, due
> to not having alot of confidence to experiment! I need to get over that

For cooking in general and chili in particular you will need to get
over it. Chili started out as a "lets see what we have on hand" thing
so making it too fromalized just doesn't seem right to me. Always
allow for adjustments.

One thing I love is the three and four ingrediant cookbooks. Use what
you find in those for a base and docter it from there.

> - I think in the long run it will greatly improve my cooking skills. I`m
> just so darned afraid of making a mistake and rendering a meal inedible.

As Bill Cosby once said:
The difference between a cook and a doctor is that a cook has to eat
his mistakes.

I think I have only had one inedible meal in the last year. It was a
cheese, bread and broth dish. It turned out horible. But one in a
year isn't too bad.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson
Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Joseph Littleshoes wrote the following -._
> Faux_Pseudo wrote:
>
>> _.-In rec.food.cooking, Sheldon wrote the following -._

> I made a pot of chilli with meat & red beans a couple of days ago and
> used leeks instead of an ordinary white or yellow onion. I was amazed
> at how much more flavour the leeks gave to the chilli.

Thank you for that! I have substatuted leeks for onions in a few
things were I wanted the texture of onions but counldn't use them. I
was wondering how leeks would work in this but wasn't about to try it
if failure meant 5824 didn't have lunches for a week.

> It may just be me but i like the cans of crushed tomatoes with basil.

I tried fresh tomatoes. I treid canned. But they both came out with
a slight bitter taste. chrushed seemed to work since it didn't have
any seeds in it. I haven't found crushed wit basil in this area.
Might have to docter some up.

> Given the hot peppers and "red pepper" (cayenne i assume) the amount of
> "chilli powder" seems irrelevant. I replace the cayenne with a Mexican
> smoked paprika & use cumin seeds, lightly crushed, they seem to me to be
> more flavourful than the powder.

Good idea.

> IMO given the amount of spices in chilli the wine & beer is unnecessary,
> and i would replace them with a good, strong beef stock.

That is something I just haven't the time to make. Which is why I am
using the beer and wine instead.

> Garlic on the other hand is a must.

The first time I made this it had about 4 cloves of garlic in it but
you couldn't taste it. Might add it in the next batch though.

> Im going to make a leek soup with chicken stock to day just cause the
> leeks are so inexpensive (hugh & 2 for a dollar) and so good. Will add
> carrots & celery, garlic, s & p, a bit of white wine and butter for
> lightly caramelizing about half the leeks.

I grabbed a potato and leek soup from the one of these groups the
other day and will probibly make it next week.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson
Blair P. Houghton

Faux_Pseudo > wrote:
>_.-In rec.food.cooking, Sheldon wrote the following -._
>>> 1 tbsp shortening
>>> 1 lb cubed stew meat
>>> 2 lb lean ground beef
>>> 5 cans kidney beans (drained)
>>> 1 1/2 onions, chopped
>>> 14.5 ounces chrushed tomatoes
>>> 1 (12 oz) tomatoe paste
>>> 2 - 5 fresh peppers (1 hobenaro 2 jalapino)
>>> 1 tbsp ground cumin
>>> 1 tbsp chili powder
>>> 1/2 tsp red peper
>>> 2 cans beer
>>> 500 ml red wine

>> You really can't call that chili, not with all those ingredients and
>> just one measely spoonful chili powder... and what, no garlic... phoo!

>I have tried it both with and without garlic. Just didn't seem to
>need it so it got removed from the list as time went by.

It doesn't need beans or tomatoes either.

>As for the chili powder: one could add more but between the beer,
>wine, cumin and peppers you are just wasting it.

Unless you like flavor, but since there's tomatoes and beans
in there, I guess you're right.

--Blair
"Wait. It needs garlic."
Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, Blair P Houghton wrote the following -._
> It doesn't need beans or tomatoes either.

If I want to make it cheap and have it last a week then it does.
People get hung up on the beans thing. Chili was made out of what
poor cowboys could scrounge up. I doubt any of them ever cared if
beans were there as long as they ha enough to fill them up.

Tomatoes add a good thickness to it. Help it get you through the
day. As mentioned I use this for lunches once a while. And the
serving size is only about 1 1/2 cups. So it has to stick for 5-6
hours till dinner. They also add the right amount of acid to it so
that it lasts in the fridge for a week.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson

Isaac Wingfield

In article <H8H5e.411$H53.201@lakeread05>,
Faux_Pseudo > wrote:

> _.-In rec.food.cooking, Blair P Houghton wrote the following -._
> > It doesn't need beans or tomatoes either.

> If I want to make it cheap and have it last a week then it does.
> People get hung up on the beans thing. Chili was made out of what
> poor cowboys could scrounge up.

Yes, and while that *might* have included beans of some sort (but
certainly NOT kidney), it surely did not include tomatoes.

Isaac
BOB

DayDreamer wrote:
> My first attempt at chili! And a success, too.
> I made this recently and it was great. A big hit with the BF, too.
> Calorie count is 197 cal and 5 grams fat for 8 oz, which is a nice
> size serving. I was given that cal count by the person who gave me
> the
> recipe, but I would imagine it could vary depending on how lean your
> ground beef is, no? I believe I used 90% lean ground sirloin for the
> meat. I followed the basic recipe (I didn`t do any of the stuff to
> make it extra spicier and I thought it was just about the perfect
> level of spicy-ness, but some may like it hotter). I served with a
> loaf of nice crusty Italian bread.
> I`d love to hear others in the group "tried and true" chili recipes,
> too.

Here's a post from the Late and Great, Cuchulain Libby.
I've tried this, as posted and with many variations. It's all good.

(PS, this recipe is included in the RFC cook book)

Here is one of my favorites.

MEAT SIDE

3 lbs stew meat
2 lbs ground pork
1 lg white onion, diced
garlic
3 T cumin, roasted, ground
3 T coriander, r, g
1 T allspice
2 T cayenne
1 T cocoa powder, unsweet
Mexican oregano (this is where I hate recs. I don't measure)
salt
pepper
olive oil as need to brown off meat
1 shot bourbon
2 lg cans toms (your choice of whole/chopped, etc)
2 lg cans kidneys
2 lg cans blacks
2 lg cans pintos (or navy/whites)
1 pkg frozen corn

CHILE SIDE

1/2 lb +/- New Mexico chiles
"" "" Ancho chiles
1/4 lb arboles

(again I never measured, enough chiles to quite fill a jelly roll pan,
like
mounded, even) or if they come in 4 oz. pkgs then say 2-3 of ea.

beer the gooder the better, but industrial swill works ok OR
beef broth Homemade pref. or from beef base or lastly canned.

METHOD

Brown meats and onion, in batches if necessary. Add spices/herbs and
garlic
and sauté through. In a low oven (250-300) roast chiles for about
10-15
minutes, your nose will tell when they're ready. Break up chiles into
saucepan add enough beer/broth to cover and simmer 20 minutes. The
only
thing I worry about is the stem, the seeds and the veins are where the
heat
is and you'll be straining the solids out anyway. Whirl in blender or
Cuisinart and strain through medium mesh reserving liquor if you
didn't use
it all in processor. Add sauce and any liquor to meat, add tomatoes
and
drained rinsed beans. I save 1/2 can kidneys and some bean juice to
whirl
and add later as thickener. At this point if you need to add a can of
water,
go ahead. Taste and adjust for s/p. At some point toss in bourbon. I
cook it
covered until the meat is almost tender and the flavors are coming
together
then add corn and cook covered until meat is done, uncover and finish
off to
your desired thickness, adding whirled kidneys, or if you have it, a
slurry
of masa and water (acts like cornstarch in Chinese food) if needed.
Now this
is HOT, but because you strained out the husks it's not cumulative. It
attains and stays at one level, which I find pleasant.

OPTIONS- TO HAVE ON HAND WHEN SERVING

Shredded cheddar
Chopped olives
Pico de Gallo
Lime wedges
Diced white onion
You guys in Ohio would add a starch here

LIKE MOST STEWS THIS IS MO BETTA NEXT DAY.

-Cuchulain
"Vegetables ain't food, vegetables are what food eats"

P.S My old friends called me Hogan and I would make one phone call
say
"Hogan's Famous", hang up and an hour later, my house would be full!
True
story.

--
-Cuchulain
ICQ 83719527

Phred

In article >,
Bubbabob > wrote:
>Isaac Wingfield > wrote:
>
>>> If I want to make it cheap and have it last a week then it does.
>>> People get hung up on the beans thing. Chili was made out of what
>>> poor cowboys could scrounge up.

>It's a lot older than cowboys. Pueblo Indians in NM have been making it for
>a millenium at least, maybe two. Venison and rabbit are the primary meats.

G'day mate,

I presume these "rabbits" are not the typical Easter Bunny things? :-)

Never thought about it much before, but I gather there are quite a few
"rabbit" species in the Leporidae; including, I presume, one or more
native to N/C/S America. So I assume it's one or another of these that
the Pueblos cooked up? Any idea which one(s)?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

aem

Phred wrote:

> Never thought about it much before, but I gather there are quite a
> few "rabbit" species in the Leporidae; including, I presume, one or
> more native to N/C/S America. So I assume it's one or another of
> these that the Pueblos cooked up? Any idea which one(s)?

According to a couple of US Park Service sites for the American
Southwest, hares and rabbits commonly found include these:

Black-Tailed Jackrabbit Lepus Californicus
Nuttall's Cottontail Sylvilagus Nuttalli
Desert Cottontail Rabbit Sylvilagus audubonnii
Antelope Jackrabbit Lepus alleni
and in spite of the name,
Eastern Cottontail Sylvilagus floridanus

Whether these were the same ones extant during the time of the Pueblos,
I don't know. Their history is not nearly as long as your aborigines,
but I think we have evidence of their habitation back to about 1600
b.c. -aem

zxcvbob

Phred wrote:
> In article >,
> Bubbabob > wrote:

>>It's a lot older than cowboys. Pueblo Indians in NM have been making it for
>>a millenium at least, maybe two. Venison and rabbit are the primary meats.

> G'day mate,
>
> I presume these "rabbits" are not the typical Easter Bunny things? :-)
>
> Never thought about it much before, but I gather there are quite a few
> "rabbit" species in the Leporidae; including, I presume, one or more
> native to N/C/S America. So I assume it's one or another of these that
> the Pueblos cooked up? Any idea which one(s)?
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Jackrabbits? (Lepus californicus) A hare actually, rather than a
rabbit. They are tough and require long slow cooking -- like barbed wire.

Bob
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

aem wrote on 09 Apr 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Antelope Jackrabbit Lepus alleni

That's the one you want...you can make a hat rack outa its horns if the
meal sucks then at least you got something.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Blair P. Houghton

Bubbabob > wrote:
>Isaac Wingfield > wrote:
>
>>> If I want to make it cheap and have it last a week then it does.
>>> People get hung up on the beans thing. Chili was made out of what
>>> poor cowboys could scrounge up.

>It's a lot older than cowboys. Pueblo Indians in NM have been making it for
>a millenium at least, maybe two. Venison and rabbit are the primary meats.

We're gonna need a cite for that one.

--Blair
"New York City?!"
Blair P. Houghton

Faux_Pseudo > wrote:
>_.-In rec.food.cooking, Blair P Houghton wrote the following -._
>> It doesn't need beans or tomatoes either.

>If I want to make it cheap and have it last a week then it does.
>People get hung up on the beans thing. Chili was made out of what
>poor cowboys could scrounge up.

Cowboys wouldn't be scrounging up beans. They had plenty of
scrap meat and chile pods found along the trail, though.

>I doubt any of them ever cared if
>beans were there as long as they ha enough to fill them up.
>
>Tomatoes add a good thickness to it.

Tomatoes add 99% water to it and make it taste more like
spicy spaghetti sauce than chili.

Make real chili without onions or beans or tomatoes, then
when you serve it, serve it with chopped fresh onion and
fresh seeded tomato and freshly grated cheese, and freshly
cooked beans and a wedge of lime on the side.

You will learn the truth about chili.

>Help it get you through the
>day. As mentioned I use this for lunches once a while. And the
>serving size is only about 1 1/2 cups. So it has to stick for 5-6
>hours till dinner. They also add the right amount of acid to it so
>that it lasts in the fridge for a week.

Mine lasts in the fridge for a week because it's in the
fridge...

--Blair
"Epiphanies done dirt cheap."
Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that Blair P. Houghton > said:

>Make real chili without onions or beans or tomatoes, then
>when you serve it, serve it with chopped fresh onion and
>fresh seeded tomato and freshly grated cheese, and freshly
>cooked beans and a wedge of lime on the side.

I made real chili once. Seemed more like a filling for a burrito than
something you'd eat from a bowl. I guess it's what you grow up with.

I'm also weird about spaghetti. Once the pasta and sauce are mixed
together, it becomes leftovers.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Maverick

"Phred" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Bubbabob > wrote:

>>It's a lot older than cowboys. Pueblo Indians in NM have been making it
>>for
>>a millenium at least, maybe two. Venison and rabbit are the primary meats.

> G'day mate,
>
> I presume these "rabbits" are not the typical Easter Bunny things? :-)
>
> Never thought about it much before, but I gather there are quite a few
> "rabbit" species in the Leporidae; including, I presume, one or more
> native to N/C/S America. So I assume it's one or another of these that
> the Pueblos cooked up? Any idea which one(s)?
>
> Cheers, Phred.

They probably used cotton tailed rabbits since cotton tail and jack are
about the only native (or somewhat native) kinds I've ever hunted for in the
Southwest of the USA.

Bret

Maverick

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Phred wrote:
>> In article >, Bubbabob
>> > wrote:

>>>It's a lot older than cowboys. Pueblo Indians in NM have been making it
>>>for a millenium at least, maybe two. Venison and rabbit are the primary
>>>meats.

>> G'day mate,
>>
>> I presume these "rabbits" are not the typical Easter Bunny things? :-)
>>
>> Never thought about it much before, but I gather there are quite a few
>> "rabbit" species in the Leporidae; including, I presume, one or more
>> native to N/C/S America. So I assume it's one or another of these that
>> the Pueblos cooked up? Any idea which one(s)?
>>
>> Cheers, Phred.
>>

> Jackrabbits? (Lepus californicus) A hare actually, rather than a rabbit.
> They are tough and require long slow cooking -- like barbed wire.
>
> Bob

And according to my hunting background in the SW, if we shot a jack, we'd
just leave it there and cuss that we wasted a shell. They are not
considered "game" animals. The Cottontails, OTOH, is good eats! ;->

Bret

Phred

Thanks everybody for your responses to my query re "rabbits".

I gather the likely options were Jackrabbit and Cottontail, with
preference for the Cottontail (at least to modern palates .

The culinary attributes of the Jackrabbits sound about equivalent to
those of our galahs (the birds, not the politicians).

The usual recipe for stewing a galah (the only practical approach
anyway, I'm told) involves taking a large pot of "stock" (freely
available in the nearest billabong) and placing a moderately large,
clean stone in it before adding the galah(s). You then cook it over a
slow fire for some hours (best to start this over a long weekend).
Once the stone is soft, you chuck away the galah and eat the stone.