Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A simple Vegetable/Beef stew with a twist

Cleaning out the fridge and using the last of the veggies!

I used about 1.5lbs chopped zuccini and 1 28oz can diced tomatoes then
added 2 14oz tomatoe ones with diced chiles.

To this was added 1 cup mushroom (no name, looks like a fat enoki?) and
5 cloves fine chopped garlic.

Then 1lb ground beef mixed with Vanoduvan blend curry (about 1TB) and 2
beef bullion cubes. About 3 cups of water and letting it simmer.

It's a simple dish and back in my childhood, we'd have inacurately
called it a 'ragout' but then, 'ragout' has so many versions, maybe it
works.

It's going with rice tonight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 6:04:15 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:

> Cleaning out the fridge and using the last of the veggies!
>
> I used about 1.5lbs chopped zuccini and 1 28oz can diced tomatoes then
> added 2 14oz tomatoe ones with diced chiles.
>
> To this was added 1 cup mushroom (no name, looks like a fat enoki?) and
> 5 cloves fine chopped garlic.
>
> Then 1lb ground beef mixed with Vanoduvan blend curry (about 1TB) and 2
> beef bullion cubes. About 3 cups of water and letting it simmer.
>
> It's a simple dish and back in my childhood, we'd have inacurately
> called it a 'ragout' but then, 'ragout' has so many versions, maybe it
> works.
>
> It's going with rice tonight.

Sounds good! Over rice or rice cooked with the other goodies?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 18:04:07 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Cleaning out the fridge and using the last of the veggies!
>
>I used about 1.5lbs chopped zuccini and 1 28oz can diced tomatoes then
>added 2 14oz tomatoe ones with diced chiles.
>
>To this was added 1 cup mushroom (no name, looks like a fat enoki?) and
>5 cloves fine chopped garlic.
>
>Then 1lb ground beef mixed with Vanoduvan blend curry (about 1TB) and 2
>beef bullion cubes. About 3 cups of water and letting it simmer.
>
>It's a simple dish and back in my childhood, we'd have inacurately
>called it a 'ragout' but then, 'ragout' has so many versions, maybe it
>works.
>
>It's going with rice tonight.

I call that my goulash only I use oregano. I break up uncooked
spaghetti and push it down into the goulash juice, cover the pan and
let it cook. I've tried it without the zucchini and it just isn't the
same.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 18:04:07 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Cleaning out the fridge and using the last of the veggies!
> >
> > I used about 1.5lbs chopped zuccini and 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
> > then added 2 14oz tomatoe ones with diced chiles.
> >
> > To this was added 1 cup mushroom (no name, looks like a fat enoki?)
> > and 5 cloves fine chopped garlic.
> >
> > Then 1lb ground beef mixed with Vanoduvan blend curry (about 1TB)
> > and 2 beef bullion cubes. About 3 cups of water and letting it
> > simmer.
> >
> > It's a simple dish and back in my childhood, we'd have inacurately
> > called it a 'ragout' but then, 'ragout' has so many versions, maybe
> > it works.
> >
> > It's going with rice tonight.

> I call that my goulash only I use oregano. I break up uncooked
> spaghetti and push it down into the goulash juice, cover the pan and
> let it cook. I've tried it without the zucchini and it just isn't the
> same.
> Janet US

I can go with that name too! This time it was a curry base but I've
used oregano before.

The mushrooms were really specially telling here. They were not the
standard button type but more like Shemenji in the deep earthy flavor
(almost like a beet's earthyness) and it matched so *perfectly* to the
curry, zuccini and tomatoes!

They look just like fat enoki. If you find them, try a pack! The
local store said 'seafood mushroom' but then english is a 3rd language
at best for them so it can be pretty funny shopping there at times.