Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Apple cake

On 2/18/2019 9:26 AM, Gary wrote:
> I made a delicious apple cake yesterday.
>
> So simple too -
> Just used a yellow box-cake mix and followed instructions on the
> box. To that, I cored and peeled a few fresh honey crisp apples
> then sliced thinly and mixed it into the cake batter. Delicious
> and no icing necessary. :-D
>
> I rarely make worthless dessert food but sometimes the taste buds
> demand some extra attention.

Be happy Bruce hasn't come along and posted the ingredients list of the
store bought cake mix.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2019 2:54 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 14:46:04 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/18/2019 9:26 AM, Gary wrote:
>>> I made a delicious apple cake yesterday.
>>>
>>> So simple too -
>>> Just used a yellow box-cake mix and followed instructions on the
>>> box. To that, I cored and peeled a few fresh honey crisp apples
>>> then sliced thinly and mixed it into the cake batter. Delicious
>>> and no icing necessary. :-D
>>>
>>> I rarely make worthless dessert food but sometimes the taste buds
>>> demand some extra attention.
>>>

>> Be happy Bruce hasn't come along and posted the ingredients list of the
>> store bought cake mix.

> He didn't say the brand name

Two brands make up most of the US market. Both are sort of nasty.

Duncan Hines
Ingredients
Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron,
Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil Shortening
(Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Propylene Glycol Mono-and Diesters
of Fats, Mono and Diglycerides), Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate,
Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate).
Contains 2% or less of: Wheat Starch, Salt, Dextrose, Polyglycerol
Esters of Fatty Acids, Cellulose Gum, Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum,
Maltodextrin, Modified Cornstarch, Colored With (Yellow 5 Lake, Red 40
Lake). Contains: Wheat.

Betty Crocker
Enriched Flour Bleached (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate,
riboflavin, folic acid), Sugar, Corn Syrup, Leavening (baking soda,
sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate). Contains 2% or less
of: Modified Corn Starch, Corn Starch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean
and/or Cottonseed Oil, Propylene Glycol Mono and Diesters of Fatty
Acids, Salt, Distilled Monoglycerides, Dicalcium Phosphate, Natural and
Artificial Flavor, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose
Gum, Yellows 5&6, Nonfat Milk, Soy Lecithin

I do, however, offer this simple replacement. I have no idea why it was
named Jewish, the recipe goes back at least 70 years.

Jewish Apple Cake

Ingredients:

5 large or 6 medium sized apples pared and sliced

2 tsp. cinnamon

5 TBS Sugar

Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and mix with the apple slices.

In a mixing bowl:

3 cups sifted flour

2 cups sugar

1 cup oil

1/2 cup orange juice

3 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. vanilla

4 eggs -- add one at a time, mixing after each

Beat until smooth, about 10 minutes. Pour half of batter in 10 inch
tube pan, greased and floured.

Arrange half of apples.

Pour the rest of the batter, and arrange rest of apples.

Bake in an oven that was preheated to 350°

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ah, yes, good ol' Bruce, here to let us all know the error of our plebeian ways (and you, too, Ed,
in this thread). There is nothing "nasty" about using a cake mix, or the taste of a cake mix. I
daresay y'all wouldn't be able to tell the difference between scratch and a mix, if push came to
shove...unless the empty box was sitting right there.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 9:10:08 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:

> Ah, yes, good ol' Bruce, here to let us all know the error of our plebeian ways (and you, too, Ed,
> in this thread). There is nothing "nasty" about using a cake mix, or the taste of a cake mix. I
> daresay y'all wouldn't be able to tell the difference between scratch and a mix, if push came to
> shove...unless the empty box was sitting right there.
>
> N.

Applause! Applause!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2019 10:10 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Ah, yes, good ol' Bruce, here to let us all know the error of our plebeian ways (and you, too, Ed,
> in this thread). There is nothing "nasty" about using a cake mix, or the taste of a cake mix. I
> daresay y'all wouldn't be able to tell the difference between scratch and a mix, if push came to
> shove...unless the empty box was sitting right there.
>
> N.

Sorry, but I don't agree with that. I don't buy cakes at the
supermarket for the same reason, they taste like box cakes.
You can have my share of Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Xanthan Gum,
Cellulose Gum, Yellows 5&6, Soy Lecithin

To make a cake from scratch takes only a few minutes more than opening a
box. You have pure ingredients, not something from a foot moisturizer.

What is Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate? Look up its uses.
APPLICATIONS
shaving creams
facial moisturizers
hand and foot moisturizers
scrubs
fragrance pomades and salves

Do as you please, but there has not been a box mix in this house in over
50 years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 19:10:04 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Ah, yes, good ol' Bruce, here to let us all know the error of our plebeian ways (and you, too, Ed,
>in this thread). There is nothing "nasty" about using a cake mix, or the taste of a cake mix. I
>daresay y'all wouldn't be able to tell the difference between scratch and a mix, if push came to
>shove...unless the empty box was sitting right there.

Look at the ingredients. That's all you need to know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 19:16:11 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 9:10:08 PM UTC-6, Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>> Ah, yes, good ol' Bruce, here to let us all know the error of our plebeian ways (and you, too, Ed,
>> in this thread). There is nothing "nasty" about using a cake mix, or the taste of a cake mix. I
>> daresay y'all wouldn't be able to tell the difference between scratch and a mix, if push came to
>> shove...unless the empty box was sitting right there.
>>
>> N.
>>

>Applause! Applause!

Hey, there's noise coming from the redneck corner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 10:10:08 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> Ah, yes, good ol' Bruce, here to let us all know the error of our plebeian ways (and you, too, Ed,
> in this thread). There is nothing "nasty" about using a cake mix, or the taste of a cake mix. I
> daresay y'all wouldn't be able to tell the difference between scratch and a mix, if push came to
> shove...unless the empty box was sitting right there.
>
> N.

Perhaps not "nasty", but the last time I took the cake mix shortcut,
it was Way. Too. Sweet.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:52:45 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 10:10:08 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
>> Ah, yes, good ol' Bruce, here to let us all know the error of our plebeian ways (and you, too, Ed,
>> in this thread). There is nothing "nasty" about using a cake mix, or the taste of a cake mix. I
>> daresay y'all wouldn't be able to tell the difference between scratch and a mix, if push came to
>> shove...unless the empty box was sitting right there.
>>
>> N.

>Perhaps not "nasty", but the last time I took the cake mix shortcut,
>it was Way. Too. Sweet.

The cake mixes become nasty when you look at the ingredient list.
Maybe not for Nancy. Maybe she's so used to eating science projects
that she shrugs it off. People must be starting to think that's normal
food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:22:52 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:52:45 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, February 18, 2019 at 10:10:08 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:
> >> Ah, yes, good ol' Bruce, here to let us all know the error of our plebeian ways (and you, too, Ed,
> >> in this thread). There is nothing "nasty" about using a cake mix, or the taste of a cake mix. I
> >> daresay y'all wouldn't be able to tell the difference between scratch and a mix, if push came to
> >> shove...unless the empty box was sitting right there.
> >>
> >> N.

> >Perhaps not "nasty", but the last time I took the cake mix shortcut,
> >it was Way. Too. Sweet.

> The cake mixes become nasty when you look at the ingredient list.
> Maybe not for Nancy. Maybe she's so used to eating science projects
> that she shrugs it off. People must be starting to think that's normal
> food.

The ingredient list doesn't bother me all that much. I'm not going
to die from Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate. I'll die from the flour.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-02-19 8:34 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:22:52 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:52:45 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Perhaps not "nasty", but the last time I took the cake mix shortcut,
>>> it was Way. Too. Sweet.

>> The cake mixes become nasty when you look at the ingredient list.
>> Maybe not for Nancy. Maybe she's so used to eating science projects
>> that she shrugs it off. People must be starting to think that's normal
>> food.

> The ingredient list doesn't bother me all that much. I'm not going
> to die from Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate. I'll die from the flour.

It bothers me. There is something in cake mixes that upsets my guts. I
don't know what it is. I have no problems with cakes make from scratch
but cakes from a mix do a number on me. That is probably why I have
never been much of a cake fan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/18/2019 10:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> To make a cake from scratch takes only a few minutes more than opening a
> box.Â* You have pure ingredients, not somethingÂ* from a foot moisturizer.

I baked a cake last night - by the time the oven came up to temperature,
I had the batter in the pan.
A very short ingredient list, and no more than ten minutes to put
together, including lining the pan.

> Do as you please, but there has not been a box mix in this house in over
> 50 years.

Sensible man.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I should have clarified: for the two cake mixes I mentioned, Apple and pineapple, the main flavors
had emphasis on the apple and the pineapple. If I were making a cake for the sake of leaving the
cake flavor unenhanced by another flavor, like fruit, I might do a scratch cake.

BUT, whereas back in the day making scratch cakes was my usual baking style, now my back pain
is so severe I cannot stand and/or walk in my kitchen to gather ingredients, measure and mix
scratch cakes. I love to bake and I love to cook, so being unable to do these things as easily
as I used to, is a real disappointment. 'Nuf said.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 05:34:18 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:22:52 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:52:45 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Perhaps not "nasty", but the last time I took the cake mix shortcut,
>> >it was Way. Too. Sweet.

>> The cake mixes become nasty when you look at the ingredient list.
>> Maybe not for Nancy. Maybe she's so used to eating science projects
>> that she shrugs it off. People must be starting to think that's normal
>> food.

>The ingredient list doesn't bother me all that much. I'm not going
>to die from Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate. I'll die from the flour.

Many people think that way. The food industry knows this, so they use
all the junk they can to save a cent here and there for themselves.
Junk's cheaper than quality.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 2:13:56 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 05:34:18 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:22:52 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:52:45 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

> >> The cake mixes become nasty when you look at the ingredient list.
> >> Maybe not for Nancy. Maybe she's so used to eating science projects
> >> that she shrugs it off. People must be starting to think that's normal
> >> food.

> >The ingredient list doesn't bother me all that much. I'm not going
> >to die from Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate. I'll die from the flour.

> Many people think that way. The food industry knows this, so they use
> all the junk they can to save a cent here and there for themselves.
> Junk's cheaper than quality.

Not only cheaper, but they can make it hit all of the taste
"buttons" programmed into us by evolution. The more junk they
sell, the more money they make.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:22:52 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 02:52:45 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > >Perhaps not "nasty", but the last time I took the cake mix shortcut,
> > >it was Way. Too. Sweet.

> > The cake mixes become nasty when you look at the ingredient list.
> > Maybe not for Nancy. Maybe she's so used to eating science projects
> > that she shrugs it off. People must be starting to think that's normal
> > food.

> The ingredient list doesn't bother me all that much. I'm not going
> to die from Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate. I'll die from the flour.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

We should all chip in to buy Bruce a special tin-foil hat made
for food only.
Either that or maybe an 'Emperor of the World' golden crown.