Melba's Jammin'

Default Raw Apple Cake

This is what I baked for Day One of The Widow Dorothy's semi-annual
Garage Sale yesterday. Instead of the icing, I drizzled (right!) the
individual servings with Hershey's Caramel Sauce from a jar. I'd done
a good greasing and flouring job and was able to invert the cake from
the pan and put it on a serving plate. That's different. "-)

* Magicallly Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Raw Apple Cake

Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 9-25-04
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Cakes/Cake Desserts

2 cups diced unpeeled apple
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
Nutmeg -- ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix together first column ingredients. Sift dry ingredients together
and add, along with nuts. Just mix it up. Batter is very stiff. Press
into greased and floured 9² round baking pan. Bake 35-45 minutes at
350°. While still warm, glaze with a mixture of butter, powdered sugar,
and milk.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Source: Clydie North, neighbor across the street, early 1970s.

_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> This is what I baked for Day One of The Widow Dorothy's semi-annual
> Garage Sale yesterday. Instead of the icing, I drizzled (right!) the
> individual servings with Hershey's Caramel Sauce from a jar. I'd done
> a good greasing and flouring job and was able to invert the cake from
> the pan and put it on a serving plate. That's different. "-)

Recipe snipped.

Why are you baking cake for the garage sale? Is it a snack for the
potential buyers, do you sell the cake by the slice or is it for you
and The Widow Dorothy, in case you get hungry?

As usual, I am confused. The Widow Margaret

Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> This is what I baked for Day One of The Widow Dorothy's semi-annual
> Garage Sale yesterday. Instead of the icing, I drizzled (right!) the
> individual servings with Hershey's Caramel Sauce from a jar. I'd done
> a good greasing and flouring job and was able to invert the cake from
> the pan and put it on a serving plate. That's different. "-)

Recipe snipped.

Why are you baking cake for the garage sale? Is it a snack for the
potential buyers, do you sell the cake by the slice or is it for you
and The Widow Dorothy, in case you get hungry?

As usual, I am confused. The Widow Margaret

Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> This is what I baked for Day One of The Widow Dorothy's semi-annual
> Garage Sale yesterday. Instead of the icing, I drizzled (right!) the
> individual servings with Hershey's Caramel Sauce from a jar. I'd done
> a good greasing and flouring job and was able to invert the cake from
> the pan and put it on a serving plate. That's different. "-)

Recipe snipped.

Why are you baking cake for the garage sale? Is it a snack for the
potential buyers, do you sell the cake by the slice or is it for you
and The Widow Dorothy, in case you get hungry?

As usual, I am confused. The Widow Margaret

Felice Friese

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> This is what I baked for Day One of The Widow Dorothy's semi-annual
> Garage Sale yesterday. Instead of the icing, I drizzled (right!) the
> individual servings with Hershey's Caramel Sauce from a jar. I'd done
> a good greasing and flouring job and was able to invert the cake from
> the pan and put it on a serving plate. That's different. "-)
>
> * Magicallly Exported from MasterCook Mac *
>
> Raw Apple Cake
>
> Recipe By : Posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 9-25-04
> Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :1:00
> Categories : Cakes/Cake Desserts

> 2 cups diced unpeeled apple
> 1 egg
> 1/4 cup vegetable oil
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 tsp. vanilla
> 1 cup flour
> 1 tsp. soda
> 1 tsp. cinnamon
> Nutmeg -- ground cloves
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
>
> Mix together first column ingredients. Sift dry ingredients together
> and add, along with nuts. Just mix it up. Batter is very stiff. Press
> into greased and floured 9² round baking pan. Bake 35-45 minutes at
> 350°. While still warm, glaze with a mixture of butter, powdered sugar,
> and milk.
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> NOTES : Source: Clydie North, neighbor across the street, early 1970s.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
> "Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
> -Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

You FEED people who come to garage sales? Or sell them snacks? More
important, what does this mean?

> 1 tsp. cinnamon
> Nutmeg -- ground cloves

All three? Dealer's choice?

The Widow Friese

Melba's Jammin'

In article <g5h5d.367100$8_6.297238@attbi_s04>, "Felice Friese"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

(snip)
> > 1 tsp. cinnamon
> > Nutmeg -- ground cloves

> You FEED people who come to garage sales?

Well, yeah --- don't YOU?

Nah, I'm joshing you, Fleece. Treats are for us -- and we DO eat in
front of the customers. I've sold a mess of jam from the back of my
car, though. LOL!

this morning's treat was apple pie with some dried cranberries included.
Did I ever mention that I make a killer pie crust? I posted the recipe
this morning while the pie was in the oven.

I wondered if that list were going to be problelmatic. It were. :-)

> Or sell them snacks? More
> important, what does this mean?
>
> > 1 tsp. cinnamon
> > Nutmeg -- ground cloves

And the ingredients below (I'm having trouble with my cursor right now)
-- it's 1 tsp of cinnamon and some nutmeg and some ground cloves -- easy
on the cloves. All three.

> All three? Dealer's choice?
>
> The Widow Friese

You'll always be TWF to me, Hon. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article <g5h5d.367100$8_6.297238@attbi_s04>, "Felice Friese"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

(snip)
> > 1 tsp. cinnamon
> > Nutmeg -- ground cloves

> You FEED people who come to garage sales?

Well, yeah --- don't YOU?

Nah, I'm joshing you, Fleece. Treats are for us -- and we DO eat in
front of the customers. I've sold a mess of jam from the back of my
car, though. LOL!

this morning's treat was apple pie with some dried cranberries included.
Did I ever mention that I make a killer pie crust? I posted the recipe
this morning while the pie was in the oven.

I wondered if that list were going to be problelmatic. It were. :-)

> Or sell them snacks? More
> important, what does this mean?
>
> > 1 tsp. cinnamon
> > Nutmeg -- ground cloves

And the ingredients below (I'm having trouble with my cursor right now)
-- it's 1 tsp of cinnamon and some nutmeg and some ground cloves -- easy
on the cloves. All three.

> All three? Dealer's choice?
>
> The Widow Friese

You'll always be TWF to me, Hon. "-)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Felice Friese

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> -- it's 1 tsp of cinnamon and some nutmeg and some ground cloves -- easy
> on the cloves. All three.

> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
> "Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
> -Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Gotcha, Barb. A large dash of nutmeg and a small dash of cloves.

TWF

Melba's Jammin'

In article <cQk5d.51748$wV.34214@attbi_s54>, "Felice Friese"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
> > -- it's 1 tsp of cinnamon and some nutmeg and some ground cloves --
> > easy on the cloves. All three.

> Gotcha, Barb. A large dash of nutmeg and a small dash of cloves.

> TWF

There ya go.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article <cQk5d.51748$wV.34214@attbi_s54>, "Felice Friese"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
> > -- it's 1 tsp of cinnamon and some nutmeg and some ground cloves --
> > easy on the cloves. All three.

> Gotcha, Barb. A large dash of nutmeg and a small dash of cloves.

> TWF

There ya go.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > This is what I baked for Day One of The Widow Dorothy's semi-annual
> > Garage Sale yesterday. Instead of the icing, I drizzled (right!) the
> > individual servings with Hershey's Caramel Sauce from a jar. I'd done
> > a good greasing and flouring job and was able to invert the cake from
> > the pan and put it on a serving plate. That's different. "-)
> >

> Recipe snipped.
>
> Why are you baking cake for the garage sale?

Because we need sustenance whilst tending the masses who come to quibble
over a quarter.

>Is it a snack for the potential buyers,

Nope. It's a snack for the festive sellers.

> do you sell the cake by the slice or is it for you and The Widow
> Dorothy, in case you get hungry?

For me, TWD, Marilyn Who Used To Live Across The Street But Moved Away,
and Joyce From Down The Block.

> As usual, I am confused. The Widow Margaret

Oh, hell, have a glass of red wine. It'll do you good. :-)

Today's treat was apple pie, baked at 8:00 a.m. and served to the
festive sellers at about 10:30 a.m. TWD thinks she's dieting and saved
hers for dessert after lunch.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > This is what I baked for Day One of The Widow Dorothy's semi-annual
> > Garage Sale yesterday. Instead of the icing, I drizzled (right!) the
> > individual servings with Hershey's Caramel Sauce from a jar. I'd done
> > a good greasing and flouring job and was able to invert the cake from
> > the pan and put it on a serving plate. That's different. "-)
> >

> Recipe snipped.
>
> Why are you baking cake for the garage sale?

Because we need sustenance whilst tending the masses who come to quibble
over a quarter.

>Is it a snack for the potential buyers,

Nope. It's a snack for the festive sellers.

> do you sell the cake by the slice or is it for you and The Widow
> Dorothy, in case you get hungry?

For me, TWD, Marilyn Who Used To Live Across The Street But Moved Away,
and Joyce From Down The Block.

> As usual, I am confused. The Widow Margaret

Oh, hell, have a glass of red wine. It'll do you good. :-)

Today's treat was apple pie, baked at 8:00 a.m. and served to the
festive sellers at about 10:30 a.m. TWD thinks she's dieting and saved
hers for dessert after lunch.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > This is what I baked for Day One of The Widow Dorothy's semi-annual
> > Garage Sale yesterday. Instead of the icing, I drizzled (right!) the
> > individual servings with Hershey's Caramel Sauce from a jar. I'd done
> > a good greasing and flouring job and was able to invert the cake from
> > the pan and put it on a serving plate. That's different. "-)
> >

> Recipe snipped.
>
> Why are you baking cake for the garage sale?

Because we need sustenance whilst tending the masses who come to quibble
over a quarter.

>Is it a snack for the potential buyers,

Nope. It's a snack for the festive sellers.

> do you sell the cake by the slice or is it for you and The Widow
> Dorothy, in case you get hungry?

For me, TWD, Marilyn Who Used To Live Across The Street But Moved Away,
and Joyce From Down The Block.

> As usual, I am confused. The Widow Margaret

Oh, hell, have a glass of red wine. It'll do you good. :-)

Today's treat was apple pie, baked at 8:00 a.m. and served to the
festive sellers at about 10:30 a.m. TWD thinks she's dieting and saved
hers for dessert after lunch.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Margaret Suran

So, What happened the first day of the garage sale? Did The Widow
Dorothy sell a lot of her offerings? Did you bring some of your own
unwanted stuff and sell it along with hers?

There are no garage sales in my neighborhood. (

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> So, What happened the first day of the garage sale? Did The Widow
> Dorothy sell a lot of her offerings? Did you bring some of your own
> unwanted stuff and sell it along with hers?
>
> There are no garage sales in my neighborhood. (

The first day (Friday) was not very profitable, I think. I didn't sell
much of my garage sale junk. Some paperbacks, not many clothes. If I
were organized, I'd be dangerous. :-) Dorothy is going to open her
garage today, I think. <sigh> When I clear my stuff out tomorrow, the
unsold is going into a donation box for one of the myriad charitable
organizations that are happy to pick it up and sell it to someone else,
or into the trash can. Rob's been grumbling about my junk. Justifiably.

TWD is a piece of work. A lot of what she's trying to sell for a
quarter should be either free, tossed, or recycled. And she'll haggle
over a quarter. She's been trying to sell some of the same crap for
two-three years. She won't throw it away. She has clothes she hasn't
worn in 40 years. Marilyn sold a bunch of stuff -- inexpensively priced
decent furniture. Joyce's daughter is a young stylin' chick who wears
things for one season only, it seems -- a lot of her stuff sells.

There's been a recent large influx of Hispanic folks to our area and a
lot of them shop at garage sales for good bargains. I love to see their
faces light up when I greet them in Spanish. They seem equally pleased.
:-) One group bought much of Marilyn's furniture and they were debating
how to get it to the buyer's apartment. They returned with an old
station wagon-type vehicle and loaded the couch on the top of the
vehicle, secured with a tie approximately twice the diameter of
butcher's twin (OB Food reference). That's all they were going to
use!! I keep a container of bungee cords in my car (you just never know
when you're going to need one!) and insisted that they use them! As
they'd had it, the first turn of a corner would have sent the sofa
askew. ?Ay, caramba! They returned a while later to collect the desk
and return the bungees. Seemed grateful to have had their use. :-)

I've just learned that there are some Mexican folks moving in a couple
doors down. I'm eager to meet them -- perhaps I can trade some English
help for some cooking lessons. :-)

Blahblahblah. I'm off soon to the supermarket to pick up some ground
beef for holubky -- I bought a nice cabbage at the farmers market
yesterday and the weather is suitable for holubky-making. :-) I may
add a layer of kraut to this batch.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> So, What happened the first day of the garage sale? Did The Widow
> Dorothy sell a lot of her offerings? Did you bring some of your own
> unwanted stuff and sell it along with hers?
>
> There are no garage sales in my neighborhood. (

The first day (Friday) was not very profitable, I think. I didn't sell
much of my garage sale junk. Some paperbacks, not many clothes. If I
were organized, I'd be dangerous. :-) Dorothy is going to open her
garage today, I think. <sigh> When I clear my stuff out tomorrow, the
unsold is going into a donation box for one of the myriad charitable
organizations that are happy to pick it up and sell it to someone else,
or into the trash can. Rob's been grumbling about my junk. Justifiably.

TWD is a piece of work. A lot of what she's trying to sell for a
quarter should be either free, tossed, or recycled. And she'll haggle
over a quarter. She's been trying to sell some of the same crap for
two-three years. She won't throw it away. She has clothes she hasn't
worn in 40 years. Marilyn sold a bunch of stuff -- inexpensively priced
decent furniture. Joyce's daughter is a young stylin' chick who wears
things for one season only, it seems -- a lot of her stuff sells.

There's been a recent large influx of Hispanic folks to our area and a
lot of them shop at garage sales for good bargains. I love to see their
faces light up when I greet them in Spanish. They seem equally pleased.
:-) One group bought much of Marilyn's furniture and they were debating
how to get it to the buyer's apartment. They returned with an old
station wagon-type vehicle and loaded the couch on the top of the
vehicle, secured with a tie approximately twice the diameter of
butcher's twin (OB Food reference). That's all they were going to
use!! I keep a container of bungee cords in my car (you just never know
when you're going to need one!) and insisted that they use them! As
they'd had it, the first turn of a corner would have sent the sofa
askew. ?Ay, caramba! They returned a while later to collect the desk
and return the bungees. Seemed grateful to have had their use. :-)

I've just learned that there are some Mexican folks moving in a couple
doors down. I'm eager to meet them -- perhaps I can trade some English
help for some cooking lessons. :-)

Blahblahblah. I'm off soon to the supermarket to pick up some ground
beef for holubky -- I bought a nice cabbage at the farmers market
yesterday and the weather is suitable for holubky-making. :-) I may
add a layer of kraut to this batch.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Wayne

Margaret Suran > wrote in news:cj6dmb01bm1
@news4.newsguy.com:

> So, What happened the first day of the garage sale? Did The Widow
> Dorothy sell a lot of her offerings? Did you bring some of your own
> unwanted stuff and sell it along with hers?
>
> There are no garage sales in my neighborhood. (

There probably aren't many garages, either. :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Margaret Suran > wrote in news:cj6dmb01bm1
@news4.newsguy.com:

> So, What happened the first day of the garage sale? Did The Widow
> Dorothy sell a lot of her offerings? Did you bring some of your own
> unwanted stuff and sell it along with hers?
>
> There are no garage sales in my neighborhood. (

There probably aren't many garages, either. :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> They returned with an old
> station wagon-type vehicle and loaded the couch on the top of the
> vehicle, secured with a tie approximately twice the diameter of
> butcher's twin (OB Food reference).

That's interesting. Care to tell us more about the butcher and his
twin, Barb? ;-)

Bubba
Victor Sack