Old 11-02-2019, 08:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default okra

I've decided to start experimenting with okra.
I've only eaten it cold, or as dried snack.

I could search online, and get 1000 recipes, but I'd
rather ask the folks here -

--
Rich

Old 11-02-2019, 09:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 12:44:07 -0800 (PST), RichD
wrote:

I've decided to start experimenting with okra.
I've only eaten it cold, or as dried snack.

I could search online, and get 1000 recipes, but I'd
rather ask the folks here -

I like it stir-fried.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I've decided to start experimenting with okra.
I've only eaten it cold, or as dried snack.

I could search online, and get 1000 recipes, but I'd
rather ask the folks here -

I like it stir-fried.

I grow okra, wonderful in vegetable soup... don't let the pods grow
more than four inches or they get like wood, harvest at 3". I love
the okra flowers, Fresh okra is not slimey, those at market are old
and disgusting.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Rich, my favorite way to prepare it is to throw it in the compost pile.
Sorry. Not. ;-))

N.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2019 8:37 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
Rich, my favorite way to prepare it is to throw it in the compost pile.
Sorry. Not. ;-))

N.

* Actually if you slice it in 1/2" thick pieces and dip it in a light
batter then cornmeal and deep fry it it isn't half bad . My wife loves
fried okra . I tolerate it because she likes it - I even grow it in the
garden for her . It's also supposed to be a primary ingredient in gumbo
and I might try it some day . File (fee-lay) is also supposed to be in
gumbo , and we have all kinds of sassafras growin' out there .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Old 12-02-2019, 02:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry, as I have said before....I have had it fried exactly like that, when I lived in Oklahoma, and
many of my friends guaranteed I would like it. Nope, still can't eat it.

OTOH, I love beets. LOL.

N.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I tried to grow some in WV but it didn't do good at all, a guy I know in Mississippi said it takes hot weather to grow it and he doubted it was hot enough here.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 "l not -l" wrote:
On 11-Feb-2019, RichD wrote:

I've decided to start experimenting with okra.
I've only eaten it cold, or as dried snack.

I could search online, and get 1000 recipes, but I'd
rather ask the folks here -

In general, yuck! However, in small amounts, I like sliced okra in gumbo.
The only other way I can stand it is okra pickles.

Since you're already so limited recipes will be of no use to you.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

Rich, my favorite way to prepare it is to throw it in the compost pile.
Sorry. Not. ;-))

LOL So funny Nancy2. I had eaten okra in different dishes a few
times and it seemed ok. So then once I saw a 7oz box of frozen
okra at the store and bought it. I always like to taste any
vegetable 'as is' before it's seasoned.

So I heated up the okra in microwave with a lid on...aka steamed
it. Once I gave it a stir with a fork, I went to try a bite -
just plain, no seasoning.

Well...I scooped a forkfull up to taste and from plate to almost
my mouth was a slime string. I saw that slime and totally freaked
out. "WTF IS THAT???" I had never heard about ocra and the slime.
All I could think of is that some asswipe in the food factory
spit in this vegetable. I dug around in it more and all had this
evil slime. Again: "WTF? ;-o " I totally freaked out and tossed
every bit of that in the garbage disposal.

It even killed my appetite for the rest of dinner. Only months
later did I read that okra has slime. Even better educated now, I
never buy okra. A slimey vegetable is just wrong to me.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On February 12, Nancy2 wrote:
I have had it fried exactly like that, when I lived in Oklahoma, and
many of my friends guaranteed I would like it. Nope, still can't eat it.

Trader Joe's offers dried okra in the snack aisle.
It opens my wallet. Give it a try -

OTOH, I love beets. LOL.

Dried beets, too -

--
Rich

Old 12-02-2019, 11:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

When I had okra wasps were attracted to the blooms.

Okra gloria.p General Cooking 39 09-05-2010 03:43 PM
Fried Okra Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2008 03:08 PM
okra recipe Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge Diabetic 0 14-09-2007 04:49 PM
okra in stir fry blake murphy General Cooking 0 08-09-2007 09:41 PM
Okra Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 11 30-09-2003 05:31 PM