Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchen Fireq

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message ...
>
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like
>> assistants at
>> the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us seniors to be hard
>> of hearing. It
>> is embarrassing to have personal questions yelled out so anyone in the
>> whole office
>> can hear them. I can't count the number of times I have interrupted
>> someone with,
>> "Could you please lower your voice? I don't have a hearing problem."
>>
>> N.

> Yes, when I was recently in the hospital I hated being treated like a
> child
> too with the "do you understand what I'm saying dear" etc, also dh was
> taking care of some paper work and one of the receptionists kept telling
> him
> not to lose the paper, to take it to the pharmacy, she told him that
> several
> times. Finally he said to her, I may be older but I'm not senile and I'm
> sure I can make it to the pharmacy without losing the paper. LOL
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> That is awful I haven't come across that here ... yet!!

Well, I have not been in any type of facility, hospital etc., since my kids
were born over 50 years ago, I was very young then so I don't remember
anyone talking to me that way, of course back then you could smoke in the
hospital bed too. LOL

Cheri

==

Wow! That was a longgggggggggg time ago)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 1:33:15 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> We have an extractor hood over ours. I can't really envisage a cupboard.

We have a hood with cupboards over it.

Like the top two or three on this page:

<https://www.broan.com/Range-Hoods>

It exhausts through ductwork that runs up inside the cabinets.

Cindy Hamilton

==

This is mine:

https://www.diy.com/departments/cook...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have cupboards on each times

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 09:19:11 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like
>> assistants at
>> the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us seniors to be hard
>> of hearing. It
>> is embarrassing to have personal questions yelled out so anyone in the
>> whole office
>> can hear them. I can't count the number of times I have interrupted
>> someone with,
>> "Could you please lower your voice? I don't have a hearing problem."
>>
>> N.

>Yes, when I was recently in the hospital I hated being treated like a child
>too with the "do you understand what I'm saying dear" etc, also dh was
>taking care of some paper work and one of the receptionists kept telling him
>not to lose the paper, to take it to the pharmacy, she told him that several
>times. Finally he said to her, I may be older but I'm not senile and I'm
>sure I can make it to the pharmacy without losing the paper. LOL

I like to be underestimated. I find it very relaxing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 12:35:23 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/23/2019 12:19 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>> Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like
>>> assistants at
>>> the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us seniors to be
>>> hard of hearing.* It
>>> is embarrassing to have personal questions yelled out so anyone in the
>>> whole office
>>> can hear them.* I can't count the number of times I have interrupted
>>> someone with,
>>> "Could you please lower your voice?* I don't have a hearing problem."
>>>
>>> N.

>> Yes, when I was recently in the hospital I hated being treated like a
>> child too with the "do you understand what I'm saying dear" etc,

>That's got to be annoying! Don't call me "dear". I'm not dear to you,
>I'm a patient.

But they don't know you yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 2:54:54 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 1:33:15 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > We have an extractor hood over ours. I can't really envisage a cupboard.

> We have a hood with cupboards over it.
>
> Like the top two or three on this page:
>
> <https://www.broan.com/Range-Hoods>
>
> It exhausts through ductwork that runs up inside the cabinets.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> This is mine:
>
> https://www.diy.com/departments/cook...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
>
> I have cupboards on each times

That is nice. Very nice.

We retrofitted ours into a space where there used to be a microwave
that had a recirculating fan. It sucked up air from the cooktop,
ran it through a pathetic filter, and blew it out somewhere near the
top of the unit. Right back in my face.

That's pretty common for electric cookers, but essentially useless.
We were installing a gas cooker, so we wanted real ventilation.
The look on my husband's face as he sawed through the roof was
priceless. Concentration, consternation, and "Damn, I'm good"
all at once.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-23 2:29 p.m., Cheri wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Except my dh was NOT the patient, I was. I don't feel that they needed
> to keep calling me sweetie, honey, dear, etc.

What what bothers me more about that is that if I were to call those
same female clerks and nurses I would be a patronizing chauvinist.

> either since everytime
> they came in to do anything, they had me say my full name and birth
> date, so I would have preferred to have been called Cheri like an adult,
> no biggie, just got on my nerves a bit.

There is good reason for them to check on your identity every time. I
had an incident about a year and a half ago that made that clear. I had
been for my annual physical and went for my blood work. I distinctly
remember that she did not review my name etc, and I distinctly remember
not being given a urine sample bottle. Since that is part of the annual
routine I made note of it. That was the first time I that I was able to
check my results on line, and when I did that I was surprised to see
urinalysis results.

The next day I was heading for an eye appointment and stopped by at the
doctor's office to let them know there was a problem. The nurse had
already been in touch with the hospital to set up an ultrasound for me.
The doctor was there and said that he was alarmed at the blood in my
urine. Well, it wasn't my urine there was blood it.

I went back to repeat the tests and we talked about the break down in
their procedure. I was ticked that I had almost been sent for the
ultrasound for nothing. Then I said that there was someone out there
with a serious problem that no one knows about, and she had a strange
look on her face like that was a revelation to her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 2:54:54 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 1:33:15 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > We have an extractor hood over ours. I can't really envisage a
> > cupboard.

> We have a hood with cupboards over it.
>
> Like the top two or three on this page:
>
> <https://www.broan.com/Range-Hoods>
>
> It exhausts through ductwork that runs up inside the cabinets.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> This is mine:
>
> https://www.diy.com/departments/cook...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
>
> I have cupboards on each times

err Each side!

That is nice. Very nice.

We retrofitted ours into a space where there used to be a microwave
that had a recirculating fan. It sucked up air from the cooktop,
ran it through a pathetic filter, and blew it out somewhere near the
top of the unit. Right back in my face.

Ouch!!!

That's pretty common for electric cookers, but essentially useless.
We were installing a gas cooker, so we wanted real ventilation.
The look on my husband's face as he sawed through the roof was
priceless. Concentration, consternation, and "Damn, I'm good"
all at once.

Cindy Hamilton

LOL good for him!! The ventilation from my cooker hood goes
outside)

Our hood goes over a gas hob. The oven is electric.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 11:28:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 2:54:54 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 1:33:15 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > > We have an extractor hood over ours. I can't really envisage a
> > > cupboard.

> > We have a hood with cupboards over it.
> >
> > Like the top two or three on this page:
> >
> > <https://www.broan.com/Range-Hoods>
> >
> > It exhausts through ductwork that runs up inside the cabinets.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >
> > ==
> >
> > This is mine:
> >
> > https://www.diy.com/departments/cook...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
> >
> > I have cupboards on each times

> err Each side!
>
> That is nice. Very nice.
>
> We retrofitted ours into a space where there used to be a microwave
> that had a recirculating fan. It sucked up air from the cooktop,
> ran it through a pathetic filter, and blew it out somewhere near the
> top of the unit. Right back in my face.
>
> Ouch!!!
>
> That's pretty common for electric cookers, but essentially useless.
> We were installing a gas cooker, so we wanted real ventilation.
> The look on my husband's face as he sawed through the roof was
> priceless. Concentration, consternation, and "Damn, I'm good"
> all at once.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> LOL good for him!! The ventilation from my cooker hood goes
> outside)
>
> Our hood goes over a gas hob. The oven is electric.

It's a beautiful, modern, elegant, design. The price seems reasonable. The glass hood is pretty trick. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>If they speak loudly it's only because they are the ones with a
>>>hearing problem... if only they would take the marbles out of their
>>>mouths and pronounce words correctly. Why do you think office help is
>>>willing to work at poverty wages...they're high school drop outs.
>>>
>>>They also assume older people are uneducated. LOL

>>No, they look at you and they know.

>Everyone reading rfc knows you are far less educated than Kootchie...
>and we all know that you can't cook... no one has ever seen anything
>you've cooked.

You've seen a few things that I cooked, but you've repressed those
memories.

I'd never pretend to compete with Kuthe. He's a computer engineer, a
registered nurse, a Rainbow Warrior and a chocolatier. He's a true
homo universalis.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 4:49:59 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 11:28:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > > This is mine:
> > >
> > > https://www.diy.com/departments/cook...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
> > >

> It's a beautiful, modern, elegant, design. The price seems reasonable. The glass hood is pretty trick. Thanks!

I've seen those on different remodeling shows and I've always wondered how hard
they would be to clean to get grease spatters off. Being glass, they'd show
even the tiniest drop of grease.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2019 2:31 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "notbob"* wrote in message ...
>> On 1/22/2019 9:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> No matter how small my kitchen ever was, I never had to reach up and
>>> over a hot burner to get to spices or really to anything.* Might be
>>> time to rearrange things in the kitchen.

>> Good advice, Jill.
>>
>> I also have nothing over my stove.* Usta be a microwave, there, but
>> that is now gone.* While there is some cupboard space above the empty
>> spot where the M/W usta be, I never use it.
>>
>> Prolly why I've never caught on fire!*
>>
>> nb
>>
>> ==
>>
>> We have an extractor hood over ours.* I can't really envisage a cupboard.

> I have an extractor hood too, and also two cupboards above that which I
> consider useless really.
>
> Cheri

Same here. Two small cupboards above the hood which are useless. I
wouldn't store spices or anything I needed to reach with any regularity
in them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-23 2:34 p.m., Cheri wrote:

> Well, I have not been in any type of facility, hospital etc., since my
> kids were born over 50 years ago, I was very young then so I don't
> remember anyone talking to me that way, of course back then you could
> smoke in the hospital bed too. LOL

...... unless you or your roomie were on oxygen. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Useless cabinets pic (WAS: Kitchen Fireq)

On 1/23/2019 2:31 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "notbob"* wrote in message ...
>> On 1/22/2019 9:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> No matter how small my kitchen ever was, I never had to reach up and
>>> over a hot burner to get to spices or really to anything.* Might be
>>> time to rearrange things in the kitchen.

>> Good advice, Jill.
>>
>> I also have nothing over my stove.* Usta be a microwave, there, but
>> that is now gone.* While there is some cupboard space above the empty
>> spot where the M/W usta be, I never use it.
>>
>> Prolly why I've never caught on fire!*
>>
>> nb
>>
>> ==
>>
>> We have an extractor hood over ours.* I can't really envisage a cupboard.

> I have an extractor hood too, and also two cupboards above that which I
> consider useless really.
>
> Cheri

These are my useless cabinets above the built-in microwave which is
above the stove.

https://i.postimg.cc/k5f81YPP/cabinets.jpg

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-23 6:36 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

> These are my useless cabinets above the built-in microwave which is
> above the stove.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/k5f81YPP/cabinets.jpg

We have cupboards over our stove. The exhaust hood is mounted under it,
and there are two shelves in it. It is not useless to me. I have no
problem reaching things in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2019 6:55 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-01-23 6:36 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>
>> These are my useless cabinets above the built-in microwave which is
>> above the stove.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/k5f81YPP/cabinets.jpg
>>

> We have cupboards over our stove. The exhaust hood is mounted under it,
> and there are two shelves in it. It is not useless to me. I have no
> problem reaching things in there.

The vent hood is under the built-in microwave (this is a 1987 design).
I can't reach those cabinets without a step ladder so they're useless as
far as I'm concerned. I've got a couple of glass vases stashed up there
and a wooden salad bowl set. IOW, things I never use.

Apparently the lesson is your wife shouldn't wear loose fitting clothing
when reaching for things in the cupboards above the stove. I'm glad she
wasn't seriously hurt.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message news:sU62E.192874

> These are my useless cabinets above the built-in microwave which is
> above the stove.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/k5f81YPP/cabinets.jpg
>
> Jill

Yes, pretty much exactly like mine.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-01-23 6:36 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>
>> These are my useless cabinets above the built-in microwave which is above
>> the stove.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/k5f81YPP/cabinets.jpg
>>

> We have cupboards over our stove. The exhaust hood is mounted under it,
> and there are two shelves in it. It is not useless to me. I have no
> problem reaching things in there.

I have to use a stool to get to them and so I just store things like straws,
toothpicks, etc. there which I don't use often.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2019 7:41 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2019-01-23 6:36 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> These are my useless cabinets above the built-in microwave which is
>>> above the stove.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/k5f81YPP/cabinets.jpg
>>>

>> We have cupboards over our stove. The exhaust hood is mounted under
>> it, and there are two shelves in it. It is not useless to me. I have
>> no problem reaching things in there.
>>

> I have to use a stool to get to them and so I just store things like
> straws, toothpicks, etc. there which I don't use often.
>
> Cheri

Yes, I have to use a stool to get to mine, too. I have a couple of
cheap glass vases and a wooden salad bowl set stored up there. And I
found this!

In the Fall I like to buy assorted nuts in the shell to snack on. Give
me a nutcracker! I thought I'd lost my cute little nut bowl in the
move. As a result of this thread I opened those cabinets and found it.

https://i.postimg.cc/NMVtQXrP/squirrelnut.jpg

Isn't it cute? It's now been moved to a cabinet where I can readily
find it when I think about it. There are free standing table cabinets
in my living room for holding such things.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2019 7:40 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message news:sU62E.192874
>
>> These are my useless cabinets above the built-in microwave which is
>> above the stove.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/k5f81YPP/cabinets.jpg
>>
>> Jill

> Yes, pretty much exactly like mine.
>
> Cheri

I suppose the builders think they have to put *something* above the
microwave and or vent hood to fill the space. Those cabinets are not
useful or convenient.

I sure never stored anything I needed regular access to in them. Even
the small kitchen in my apartment in Cordova had small cabinets like
that over the vent hood above the stove. They were only good for
storing things you don't often need to use. And yes, the vent stack
runs up through that cabinet from the oven, stove and microwave.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/23/2019 7:41 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> We have cupboards over our stove. The exhaust hood is mounted under it,
>>> and there are two shelves in it. It is not useless to me. I have no
>>> problem reaching things in there.
>>>

>> I have to use a stool to get to them and so I just store things like
>> straws, toothpicks, etc. there which I don't use often.
>>
>> Cheri

> Yes, I have to use a stool to get to mine, too. I have a couple of cheap
> glass vases and a wooden salad bowl set stored up there. And I found
> this!
>
> In the Fall I like to buy assorted nuts in the shell to snack on. Give me
> a nutcracker! I thought I'd lost my cute little nut bowl in the move. As
> a result of this thread I opened those cabinets and found it.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/NMVtQXrP/squirrelnut.jpg
>
> Isn't it cute? It's now been moved to a cabinet where I can readily find
> it when I think about it. There are free standing table cabinets in my
> living room for holding such things.
>
> Jill

Yes, it's very cute!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 11:28:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 2:54:54 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 1:33:15 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > > We have an extractor hood over ours. I can't really envisage a
> > > cupboard.

> > We have a hood with cupboards over it.
> >
> > Like the top two or three on this page:
> >
> > <https://www.broan.com/Range-Hoods>
> >
> > It exhausts through ductwork that runs up inside the cabinets.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >
> > ==
> >
> > This is mine:
> >
> > https://www.diy.com/departments/cook...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
> >
> > I have cupboards on each times

> err Each side!
>
> That is nice. Very nice.
>
> We retrofitted ours into a space where there used to be a microwave
> that had a recirculating fan. It sucked up air from the cooktop,
> ran it through a pathetic filter, and blew it out somewhere near the
> top of the unit. Right back in my face.
>
> Ouch!!!
>
> That's pretty common for electric cookers, but essentially useless.
> We were installing a gas cooker, so we wanted real ventilation.
> The look on my husband's face as he sawed through the roof was
> priceless. Concentration, consternation, and "Damn, I'm good"
> all at once.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> LOL good for him!! The ventilation from my cooker hood goes
> outside)
>
> Our hood goes over a gas hob. The oven is electric.

It's a beautiful, modern, elegant, design. The price seems reasonable. The
glass hood is pretty trick. Thanks!

It is very strong too. I have knocked it more than once and it
doesn't show any damage. Anyway, do share what you decide and good
luck getting what you want

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 18:32:18 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-01-23 2:34 p.m., Cheri wrote:
>
>> Well, I have not been in any type of facility, hospital etc., since my
>> kids were born over 50 years ago, I was very young then so I don't
>> remember anyone talking to me that way, of course back then you could
>> smoke in the hospital bed too. LOL
>>

>..... unless you or your roomie were on oxygen. ;-)

Fifty years ago everyone who worked in hospitals especially the
doctors smoked, waiting rooms had a dozen of those big stand ashtrays
and theaters had an ashtray attached to the back of every seat...
airplanes had an ashtray built into every armrest. Many smoked cigars
and pipes too, my dentist puffed cigars while working on patients.
Automobiles had ashtrays and lighters for back seat passengers...
vehicals still have an ashtray and lighter built into the dashboard.
Even my tractor has an ashtray and lighter built into the dashboard,
never been used. The ashtray in my old Landcruiser has never been
used, it holds the lighter, the lighter socket has a wire plugged in
for charging cellphones, laptops and the like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 8:58:10 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 18:32:18 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 2019-01-23 2:34 p.m., Cheri wrote:
> >
> >> Well, I have not been in any type of facility, hospital etc., since my
> >> kids were born over 50 years ago, I was very young then so I don't
> >> remember anyone talking to me that way, of course back then you could
> >> smoke in the hospital bed too. LOL
> >>

> >..... unless you or your roomie were on oxygen. ;-)

> Fifty years ago everyone who worked in hospitals especially the
> doctors smoked, waiting rooms had a dozen of those big stand ashtrays
> and theaters had an ashtray attached to the back of every seat...

Fifty years ago the theaters I attended allowed smoking only in
the lobby because of fire regulations.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2019 9:24 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 8:58:10 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 18:32:18 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> ..... unless you or your roomie were on oxygen. ;-)

>> Fifty years ago everyone who worked in hospitals especially the
>> doctors smoked, waiting rooms had a dozen of those big stand ashtrays
>> and theaters had an ashtray attached to the back of every seat...

> Fifty years ago the theaters I attended allowed smoking only in
> the lobby because of fire regulations.

Some theatres also allowed smoking in the balcony.
Planes frequently had a smoking section to the rear of the plane - but
the smoke got everywhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Fifty years ago the theaters I attended allowed smoking only in
> the lobby because of fire regulations.

Maybe 40 years ago?
50-55 years ago, theaters were not 6 or more small ones, they
were 2 large theaters. Back then, smoking was allowed (mainly
because back in the 60's most people smoked). Many people did too
while watching movie.

Also back then, you paid to see a movie and you didn't get kicked
out at the end of the movie. If you came in late, you could sit
there and watch the beginning that you missed. You could even
stay and watch it again....all day long over and over if you
wanted to.

OR...you could walk to the other room and watch another movie.
One ticket paid for entrance and you could stay all day.
I think many actually did that just for the air conditioning that
they might not have had at home.

Back then too, they always showed one of those very old (1940s ?)
cartoons before the movie. Those very old cartoons are the best,
imo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 9:40:50 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Fifty years ago the theaters I attended allowed smoking only in
> > the lobby because of fire regulations.

> Maybe 40 years ago?
> 50-55 years ago, theaters were not 6 or more small ones, they
> were 2 large theaters. Back then, smoking was allowed (mainly
> because back in the 60's most people smoked). Many people did too
> while watching movie.

Perhaps the fire regs in Michigan were more strict.

The first movie I recall seeing in the theater was Goldfinger,
in 1964. It was one of those big old palaces with a single screen.

It's conceivable I was at the movies before I was 7 years old, but
the memory is gone.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-24 9:30 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:

>> Fifty years ago the theaters I attended allowed smoking only in
>> the lobby because of fire regulations.
>>

> Some theatres also allowed smoking in the balcony.
> Planes frequently had a smoking section to the rear of the plane - but
> the smoke got everywhere.

I think that it was about 50 years ago that they started to restrict it
to the lobby. Before that you could smoke inside.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 1/23/2019 7:41 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2019-01-23 6:36 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> These are my useless cabinets above the built-in microwave which is
>>> above the stove.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/k5f81YPP/cabinets.jpg
>>>

>> We have cupboards over our stove. The exhaust hood is mounted under
>> it, and there are two shelves in it. It is not useless to me. I have
>> no problem reaching things in there.
>>

> I have to use a stool to get to them and so I just store things like
> straws, toothpicks, etc. there which I don't use often.
>
> Cheri

Yes, I have to use a stool to get to mine, too. I have a couple of
cheap glass vases and a wooden salad bowl set stored up there. And I
found this!

In the Fall I like to buy assorted nuts in the shell to snack on. Give
me a nutcracker! I thought I'd lost my cute little nut bowl in the
move. As a result of this thread I opened those cabinets and found it.

https://i.postimg.cc/NMVtQXrP/squirrelnut.jpg

Isn't it cute? It's now been moved to a cabinet where I can readily
find it when I think about it. There are free standing table cabinets
in my living room for holding such things.

Jill

==

Aww too cute

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 8:58:10 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 18:32:18 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> >..... unless you or your roomie were on oxygen. ;-)

>> Fifty years ago everyone who worked in hospitals especially the
>> doctors smoked, waiting rooms had a dozen of those big stand ashtrays
>> and theaters had an ashtray attached to the back of every seat...

> Fifty years ago the theaters I attended allowed smoking only in
> the lobby because of fire regulations.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

All the theaters we attended as teens allowed smoking.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Fifty years ago the theaters I attended allowed smoking only in
>> the lobby because of fire regulations.

> Maybe 40 years ago?
> 50-55 years ago, theaters were not 6 or more small ones, they
> were 2 large theaters. Back then, smoking was allowed (mainly
> because back in the 60's most people smoked). Many people did too
> while watching movie.
>
> Also back then, you paid to see a movie and you didn't get kicked
> out at the end of the movie. If you came in late, you could sit
> there and watch the beginning that you missed. You could even
> stay and watch it again....all day long over and over if you
> wanted to.
>
> OR...you could walk to the other room and watch another movie.
> One ticket paid for entrance and you could stay all day.
> I think many actually did that just for the air conditioning that
> they might not have had at home.
>
> Back then too, they always showed one of those very old (1940s ?)
> cartoons before the movie. Those very old cartoons are the best,
> imo.

Where I am, the theater (Sunset) and Drive ins only had one theater. Usually
something like Heckle and Jeckle.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 16:40:44 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message news:sU62E.192874
>
>> These are my useless cabinets above the built-in microwave which is
>> above the stove.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/k5f81YPP/cabinets.jpg
>>
>> Jill

>Yes, pretty much exactly like mine.
>
>Cheri

Like ours too... we use them to store paper goods; coffee filters,
paper napkins, boxes of plastic eating utensils, and other small items
that don't spoil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 08:58:05 -0500, wrote:

>On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 18:32:18 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2019-01-23 2:34 p.m., Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I have not been in any type of facility, hospital etc., since my
>>> kids were born over 50 years ago, I was very young then so I don't
>>> remember anyone talking to me that way, of course back then you could
>>> smoke in the hospital bed too. LOL
>>>

>>..... unless you or your roomie were on oxygen. ;-)

>Fifty years ago everyone who worked in hospitals especially the
>doctors smoked, waiting rooms had a dozen of those big stand ashtrays
>and theaters had an ashtray attached to the back of every seat...
>airplanes had an ashtray built into every armrest. Many smoked cigars
>and pipes too, my dentist puffed cigars while working on patients.
>Automobiles had ashtrays and lighters for back seat passengers...
>vehicals still have an ashtray and lighter built into the dashboard.
>Even my tractor has an ashtray and lighter built into the dashboard,
>never been used. The ashtray in my old Landcruiser has never been
>used, it holds the lighter, the lighter socket has a wire plugged in
>for charging cellphones, laptops and the like.

50 years ago there were no theaters in my city that had ash trays in
armrests. I worked in a hospital as a high school student and later
as a college student and never saw any smoking in the hospital. I
guess that must have been an east coast thing.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 18:36:55 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> These are my useless cabinets above the built-in microwave which is
> above the stove.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/k5f81YPP/cabinets.jpg

Nice cupboards though!

Because I am 'vertically challenged' I got myself one of those plastic
'step stools' several years ago. It's light enough for me to move it
around easily so I can reach the higher shelves of some cupboards, or
when cleaning windows, etc.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-24 12:19 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 08:58:05 -0500, wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 18:32:18 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> ..... unless you or your roomie were on oxygen. ;-)

>> Fifty years ago everyone who worked in hospitals especially the
>> doctors smoked, waiting rooms had a dozen of those big stand ashtrays
>> and theaters had an ashtray attached to the back of every seat...
>> airplanes had an ashtray built into every armrest. Many smoked cigars
>> and pipes too, my dentist puffed cigars while working on patients.
>> Automobiles had ashtrays and lighters for back seat passengers...
>> vehicals still have an ashtray and lighter built into the dashboard.
>> Even my tractor has an ashtray and lighter built into the dashboard,
>> never been used. The ashtray in my old Landcruiser has never been
>> used, it holds the lighter, the lighter socket has a wire plugged in
>> for charging cellphones, laptops and the like.

> 50 years ago there were no theaters in my city that had ash trays in
> armrests. I worked in a hospital as a high school student and later
> as a college student and never saw any smoking in the hospital. I
> guess that must have been an east coast thing.

I don't remember ash trays in theatres. People just flicked the ashes
and the butts on the floor.