Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kitchen Fireq

We had a near disaster here this morning and I was pertinent to a resent
thread about seniors and fires. I was in the back room doing my morning
crossword when I heard my wife yelling " Help. Fire" I went running into
the kitchen expecting to see something burning on the stove. It was her
clothing that was burning. I ran over and batted out the flames with
my hands. ... not the best way, but the fastest.

We are lucky that she was almost unscathed. She had one small first
degree burn on a finger, but a microfibre sweater and vest are ruined.

I hope that she learned a valuable lesson from that because she may not
be so lucky if it happens again. She had a pot on the front burner of
the stove. The (electric) burner was on high. She reached up into the
spice cupboard to get something. Either the vest or the sweater was
dragged over the hot burner. Since she had just returned from walking
the dogs she was wearing long johns, another layer of protection, but
one which might have also caught on fire or melted in the heat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2019 10:47 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> We had a near disaster here this morning and I was pertinent to a resent
> thread about seniors and fires.Â* I was in the back room doing my morning
> crossword when I heard my wife yelling " Help. Fire" I went running into
> the kitchen expecting to see something burning on the stove. It was her
> clothing thatÂ* was burning.Â* I ran over and batted out the flames with
> my hands. ... not the best way, but the fastest.
>
> We are lucky that she was almost unscathed. She had one small first
> degree burn on a finger, but a microfibre sweater and vest are ruined.
>
> I hope that she learned a valuable lesson from that because she may not
> be so lucky if it happens again. She had a pot on the front burner of
> the stove. The (electric) burner was on high. She reached up into the
> spice cupboard to get something. Either the vest or the sweater was
> dragged over the hot burner. Since she had just returned from walking
> the dogs she was wearing long johns, another layer of protection, but
> one which might have also caught on fire or melted in the heat.

OMG! That's scary! Thank goodness she's okay. BTW, that microfibre
stuff will *melt*, which is dangerous.

I couple of thoughts: stop, drop and roll. That's what we were taught
in school if your clothing ever catches on fire. Don't run, don't just
stand there. You did good, though.

The other thing is, why are the spices above the stove? No matter how
small my kitchen ever was, I never had to reach up and over a hot burner
to get to spices or really to anything. Might be time to rearrange
things in the kitchen.

Thankfully your wife is okay.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 10:47:20 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> We had a near disaster here this morning and I was pertinent to a resent
> thread about seniors and fires. I was in the back room doing my morning
> crossword when I heard my wife yelling " Help. Fire" I went running into
> the kitchen expecting to see something burning on the stove. It was her
> clothing that was burning. I ran over and batted out the flames with
> my hands. ... not the best way, but the fastest.
>
> We are lucky that she was almost unscathed. She had one small first
> degree burn on a finger, but a microfibre sweater and vest are ruined.
>
> I hope that she learned a valuable lesson from that because she may not
> be so lucky if it happens again. She had a pot on the front burner of
> the stove. The (electric) burner was on high. She reached up into the
> spice cupboard to get something. Either the vest or the sweater was
> dragged over the hot burner. Since she had just returned from walking
> the dogs she was wearing long johns, another layer of protection, but
> one which might have also caught on fire or melted in the heat.

Jeeze David, glad your wife is OK.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 10:47:20 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>We had a near disaster here this morning and I was pertinent to a resent
>thread about seniors and fires. I was in the back room doing my morning
>crossword when I heard my wife yelling " Help. Fire" I went running into
>the kitchen expecting to see something burning on the stove. It was her
>clothing that was burning. I ran over and batted out the flames with
>my hands. ... not the best way, but the fastest.
>
>We are lucky that she was almost unscathed. She had one small first
>degree burn on a finger, but a microfibre sweater and vest are ruined.
>
>I hope that she learned a valuable lesson from that because she may not
>be so lucky if it happens again. She had a pot on the front burner of
>the stove. The (electric) burner was on high. She reached up into the
>spice cupboard to get something. Either the vest or the sweater was
>dragged over the hot burner. Since she had just returned from walking
>the dogs she was wearing long johns, another layer of protection, but
>one which might have also caught on fire or melted in the heat.

I'm really glad she is good. I'm sure she is nagging herself. Make
sure she feels loved by you. No need to hope she learned her lesson.
It was a stupid accident. Give her a big hug from me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 10:47:20 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>We had a near disaster here this morning and I was pertinent to a resent
>thread about seniors and fires. I was in the back room doing my morning
>crossword when I heard my wife yelling " Help. Fire" I went running into
>the kitchen expecting to see something burning on the stove. It was her
>clothing that was burning. I ran over and batted out the flames with
>my hands. ... not the best way, but the fastest.
>
>We are lucky that she was almost unscathed. She had one small first
>degree burn on a finger, but a microfibre sweater and vest are ruined.

Did you manage to finish your morning crossword?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2019 10:47 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> We had a near disaster here this morning and I was pertinent to a resent
> thread about seniors and fires.Â* I was in the back room doing my morning
> crossword when I heard my wife yelling " Help. Fire" I went running into
> the kitchen expecting to see something burning on the stove. It was her
> clothing thatÂ* was burning.Â* I ran over and batted out the flames with
> my hands. ... not the best way, but the fastest.
>
> We are lucky that she was almost unscathed. She had one small first
> degree burn on a finger, but a microfibre sweater and vest are ruined.
>
> I hope that she learned a valuable lesson from that because she may not
> be so lucky if it happens again. She had a pot on the front burner of
> the stove. The (electric) burner was on high. She reached up into the
> spice cupboard to get something. Either the vest or the sweater was
> dragged over the hot burner. Since she had just returned from walking
> the dogs she was wearing long johns, another layer of protection, but
> one which might have also caught on fire or melted in the heat.

Good she is ok.

Good opportunity to make a couple of reminders.
Nothing above the stove that is needed when the burners are on.
Fire extinguisher nearby. No excuses, you can get one for $15

This also proves, cooking in the nude is safer, not to metion most of us
look good doing it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2019 2:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Good opportunity to make a couple of reminders.
> Nothing above the stove that is needed when the burners are on.
> Fire extinguisher nearby.Â* No excuses, you can get one for $15
>
> This also proves, cooking in the nude is safer, not to metion most of us
> look good doing it.

I learned a long time ago, that a long apron, tied at the back, was much
safer than cooking in the nude...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 2:25:11 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/22/2019 10:47 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > We had a near disaster here this morning and I was pertinent to a resent
> > thread about seniors and fires.Â* I was in the back room doing my morning
> > crossword when I heard my wife yelling " Help. Fire" I went running into
> > the kitchen expecting to see something burning on the stove. It was her
> > clothing thatÂ* was burning.Â* I ran over and batted out the flames with
> > my hands. ... not the best way, but the fastest.
> >
> > We are lucky that she was almost unscathed. She had one small first
> > degree burn on a finger, but a microfibre sweater and vest are ruined.
> >
> > I hope that she learned a valuable lesson from that because she may not
> > be so lucky if it happens again. She had a pot on the front burner of
> > the stove. The (electric) burner was on high. She reached up into the
> > spice cupboard to get something. Either the vest or the sweater was
> > dragged over the hot burner. Since she had just returned from walking
> > the dogs she was wearing long johns, another layer of protection, but
> > one which might have also caught on fire or melted in the heat.
> >

> Good she is ok.
>
> Good opportunity to make a couple of reminders.
> Nothing above the stove that is needed when the burners are on.
> Fire extinguisher nearby. No excuses, you can get one for $15
>
> This also proves, cooking in the nude is safer, not to metion most of us
> look good doing it.

My God, man! I almost aspirated a chunk of apple when I read that.
I need to be more careful when I see you're the author.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IYrA3Ans_U
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-22 11:00 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/22/2019 10:47 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> of the stove. The (electric) burner was on high. She reached up into
>> the spice cupboard to get something. Either the vest or the sweater
>> was dragged over the hot burner. Since she had just returned from
>> walking the dogs she was wearing long johns, another layer of
>> protection, but one which might have also caught on fire or melted in
>> the heat.
>>

> OMG!Â* That's scary!Â* Thank goodness she's okay.Â* BTW, that microfibre
> stuff will *melt*, which is dangerous.
>
> I couple of thoughts: stop, drop and roll.Â* That's what we were taught
> in school if your clothing ever catches on fire.Â* Don't run, don't just
> stand there.Â* You did good, though.

She remembered the stop, drop and roll while I was batting out the
flames, and I had them pretty well out by then.

> The other thing is, why are the spices above the stove?Â* No matter how
> small my kitchen ever was, I never had to reach up and over a hot burner
> to get to spices or really to anything.Â* Might be time to rearrange
> things in the kitchen.

I guess it is a flaw in the kitchen design. The counters are L shaped.
The spices are not directly about the stove, they are just to the right.
That cupboard is too narrow for anything else.
If I had my druthers, baking supplies would be over the stove. I am not
likely to be using the stove much when baking. She wants that space for
coffee, tea and related stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-22 4:07 p.m., Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-01-22 11:00 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/22/2019 10:47 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> of the stove. The (electric) burner was on high. She reached up into
>>> the spice cupboard to get something. Either the vest or the sweater
>>> was dragged over the hot burner. Since she had just returned from
>>> walking the dogs she was wearing long johns, another layer of
>>> protection, but one which might have also caught on fire or melted in
>>> the heat.
>>>

>> OMG!Â* That's scary!Â* Thank goodness she's okay.Â* BTW, that microfibre
>> stuff will *melt*, which is dangerous.
>>
>> I couple of thoughts: stop, drop and roll.Â* That's what we were taught
>> in school if your clothing ever catches on fire.Â* Don't run, don't
>> just stand there.Â* You did good, though.

> She remembered the stop, drop and roll while I was batting out the
> flames, and I had them pretty well out by then.
>

>> The other thing is, why are the spices above the stove?Â* No matter how
>> small my kitchen ever was, I never had to reach up and over a hot
>> burner to get to spices or really to anything.Â* Might be time to
>> rearrange things in the kitchen.

> I guess it is a flaw in the kitchen design. The counters are L shaped.
> The spices are not directly about the stove, they are just to the right.
> That cupboard is too narrow for anything else.
> If I had my druthers, baking supplies would be over the stove. I am not
> likely to be using the stove much when baking. She wants that space for
> coffee, tea and related stuff.

What a good idea! Putting baking stuff above the heat so it can spoil
quickly!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-22 2:25 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Good she is ok.
>
> Good opportunity to make a couple of reminders.
> Nothing above the stove that is needed when the burners are on.
> Fire extinguisher nearby.Â* No excuses, you can get one for $15
>
> This also proves, cooking in the nude is safer, not to metion most of us
> look good doing it.

We used to do that a lot when we were younger but it took too long to
finish cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2019 2:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> This also proves, cooking in the nude is safer, not to metion most of us
> look good doing it.

Not a man who fries a lot of bacon!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 9:45:51 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> We had a near disaster here this morning and I was pertinent to a resent
> thread about seniors and fires. I was in the back room doing my morning
> crossword when I heard my wife yelling " Help. Fire" I went running into
> the kitchen expecting to see something burning on the stove. It was her
> clothing that was burning. I ran over and batted out the flames with
> my hands. ... not the best way, but the fastest.
>
> We are lucky that she was almost unscathed. She had one small first
> degree burn on a finger, but a microfibre sweater and vest are ruined.

Oh wow! Glad she is ok; I'm pretty sure it was frantic scene for several seconds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2019 6:07 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-01-22 11:00 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

>> I couple of thoughts: stop, drop and roll.Â* That's what we were taught
>> in school if your clothing ever catches on fire.Â* Don't run, don't
>> just stand there.Â* You did good, though.

> She remembered the stop, drop and roll while I was batting out the
> flames, and I had them pretty well out by then.

This could have been much worse, I'm glad you're both okay. Scary.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 5:45:51 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> We had a near disaster here this morning and I was pertinent to a resent
> thread about seniors and fires. I was in the back room doing my morning
> crossword when I heard my wife yelling " Help. Fire" I went running into
> the kitchen expecting to see something burning on the stove. It was her
> clothing that was burning. I ran over and batted out the flames with
> my hands. ... not the best way, but the fastest.
>
> We are lucky that she was almost unscathed. She had one small first
> degree burn on a finger, but a microfibre sweater and vest are ruined.
>
> I hope that she learned a valuable lesson from that because she may not
> be so lucky if it happens again. She had a pot on the front burner of
> the stove. The (electric) burner was on high. She reached up into the
> spice cupboard to get something. Either the vest or the sweater was
> dragged over the hot burner. Since she had just returned from walking
> the dogs she was wearing long johns, another layer of protection, but
> one which might have also caught on fire or melted in the heat.

Sorry to hear of this. I have probably had more frying pan fires and scorched hairs than the average Joe. Those didn't bother me much and were easily controlled. I suspect that in a decade or so, that I could get into a kitchen fire situation that I won't know how to handle. Hopefully, my kids will be smart enough to keep me out of the kitchen. Best wishes to your wife.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 20:25:47 -0800, dsi1 wrote:

> Sorry to hear of this. I have probably had more frying pan fires and
> scorched hairs than the average Joe. Those didn't bother me much and
> were easily controlled. I suspect that in a decade or so, that I could
> get into a kitchen fire situation that I won't know how to handle.
> Hopefully, my kids will be smart enough to keep me out of the kitchen.
> Best wishes to your wife.

Dunno why people are harping on about keeping all the 'old folk' out of
the kitchen like it's a given. My Dad (may he RIP) used to cook for us
well into his 80s. Never burned or hurt himself in the kitchen - ever.
Grease fires, knife cuts,etc. are not exlusive to 'old folk'. *He* was
always the one putting out the fires and putting band-aids on cuts, etc.
when somebody else was cooking.

Breakfast was sacred to him: bacon, sausage, eggs, fried tomato,
mushrooms sometimes - and toast. He was always pickling something and
making jams/preserves too. He was also a pressure cooker fan - he had 3
of them.

Obviously, if somebody is suffering from Alzheimer's/dementia or from
some other disability that could cause them harm if they were let loose
in the kitchen is out (at any age) - but that doesn't affect everyone
(thank goodness).

So, you may well still be cooking up a storm when you're 85. Jes' sayin'.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Good opportunity to make a couple of reminders.
> Nothing above the stove that is needed when the burners are on.
> Fire extinguisher nearby. No excuses, you can get one for $15
>
> This also proves, cooking in the nude is safer, not to metion most of us
> look good doing it.

Please don't post pics.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-23 4:35 a.m., ChattyCathy wrote:

> Breakfast was sacred to him: bacon, sausage, eggs, fried tomato,
> mushrooms sometimes - and toast. He was always pickling something and
> making jams/preserves too. He was also a pressure cooker fan - he had 3
> of them.
>
> Obviously, if somebody is suffering from Alzheimer's/dementia or from
> some other disability that could cause them harm if they were let loose
> in the kitchen is out (at any age) - but that doesn't affect everyone
> (thank goodness).
>
> So, you may well still be cooking up a storm when you're 85. Jes' sayin'.

Pretty much the same with my father who cooked until he died at 93.
Breakfast was always a fry-up using lard until he "discovered" cooking
oil when he was about 90.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2019 9:33 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2019-01-23 4:35 a.m., ChattyCathy wrote:
>

>> Breakfast was sacred to him: bacon, sausage, eggs, fried tomato,
>> mushrooms sometimes - and toast. He was always pickling something and
>> making jams/preserves too. He was also a pressure cooker fan - he had 3
>> of them.
>>
>> Obviously, if somebody is suffering from Alzheimer's/dementia or from
>> some other disability that could cause them harm if they were let loose
>> in the kitchen is out (at any age) - but that doesn't affect everyone
>> (thank goodness).
>>
>> So, you may well still be cooking up a storm when you're 85. Jes' sayin'.
>>

> Pretty much the same with my father who cooked until he died at 93.
> Breakfast was always a fry-up using lard until he "discovered" cooking
> oil when he was about 90.

As long as you have your mental faculties and are physically capable, I
see no reason to give up cooking just because you're old. Julia Child
is a case in point.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like assistants at
the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us seniors to be hard of hearing. It
is embarrassing to have personal questions yelled out so anyone in the whole office
can hear them. I can't count the number of times I have interrupted someone with,
"Could you please lower your voice? I don't have a hearing problem."

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2019 6:35 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:

> Dunno why people are harping on about keeping all the 'old folk' out of
> the kitchen like it's a given. My Dad (may he RIP) used to cook for us
> well into his 80s. Never burned or hurt himself in the kitchen - ever.
> Grease fires, knife cuts,etc. are not exlusive to 'old folk'. *He* was
> always the one putting out the fires and putting band-aids on cuts, etc.
> when somebody else was cooking.

Ditto my mother, she'd still be cooking now if she was around,
she was not confused or setting things on fire due to neglect or
forgetfulness. Granted she didn't cook huge meals as she lived
alone and how much does a tiny old lady eat? But it was never a
concern, her in the kitchen in her 80s.

> Breakfast was sacred to him: bacon, sausage, eggs, fried tomato,
> mushrooms sometimes - and toast. He was always pickling something and
> making jams/preserves too. He was also a pressure cooker fan - he had 3
> of them.

Cool! He'd laugh at the big brouhaha about pressure cookers going
on now.

> Obviously, if somebody is suffering from Alzheimer's/dementia or from
> some other disability that could cause them harm if they were let loose
> in the kitchen is out (at any age) - but that doesn't affect everyone
> (thank goodness).
>
> So, you may well still be cooking up a storm when you're 85. Jes' sayin'.

Knock wood.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like
> assistants at
> the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us seniors to be hard
> of hearing. It
> is embarrassing to have personal questions yelled out so anyone in the
> whole office
> can hear them. I can't count the number of times I have interrupted
> someone with,
> "Could you please lower your voice? I don't have a hearing problem."
>
> N.

Yes, when I was recently in the hospital I hated being treated like a child
too with the "do you understand what I'm saying dear" etc, also dh was
taking care of some paper work and one of the receptionists kept telling him
not to lose the paper, to take it to the pharmacy, she told him that several
times. Finally he said to her, I may be older but I'm not senile and I'm
sure I can make it to the pharmacy without losing the paper. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2019 12:19 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like
>> assistants at
>> the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us seniors to be
>> hard of hearing.* It
>> is embarrassing to have personal questions yelled out so anyone in the
>> whole office
>> can hear them.* I can't count the number of times I have interrupted
>> someone with,
>> "Could you please lower your voice?* I don't have a hearing problem."
>>
>> N.

> Yes, when I was recently in the hospital I hated being treated like a
> child too with the "do you understand what I'm saying dear" etc,

That's got to be annoying! Don't call me "dear". I'm not dear to you,
I'm a patient.

> also dh was taking care of some paper work and one of the receptionists kept
> telling him not to lose the paper, to take it to the pharmacy, she told
> him that several times. Finally he said to her, I may be older but I'm
> not senile and I'm sure I can make it to the pharmacy without losing the
> paper. LOL
>
> Cheri

I'm sure he could and did! You're lucky the hospital has a pharmacy.
When I was last in the hospital and discharged the doctor told me to get
my Rx filled there. I asked a nurse where the pharmacy is and she said,
"I wish the doctors would stop telling people that. There is *no*
hospital pharmacy."

Oh...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-23 10:40 a.m., Nancy2 wrote:
> Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like
> assistants at the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us
> seniors to be hard of hearing. It is embarrassing to have personal
> questions yelled out so anyone in the whole office can hear them. I
> can't count the number of times I have interrupted someone with,
> "Could you please lower your voice? I don't have a hearing
> problem."

On the flip side of that, think about how many times they have to repeat
what they say to seniors because they didn't hear / understand them the
first time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message news:wB12E.176083

> I'm sure he could and did! You're lucky the hospital has a pharmacy.
> When I was last in the hospital and discharged the doctor told me to get
> my Rx filled there. I asked a nurse where the pharmacy is and she said,
> "I wish the doctors would stop telling people that. There is *no*
> hospital pharmacy."
>
> Oh...
>
> Jill

LOL, yes that would be a problem.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 11:35:52 +0000, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 20:25:47 -0800, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> Sorry to hear of this. I have probably had more frying pan fires and
>> scorched hairs than the average Joe. Those didn't bother me much and
>> were easily controlled. I suspect that in a decade or so, that I could
>> get into a kitchen fire situation that I won't know how to handle.
>> Hopefully, my kids will be smart enough to keep me out of the kitchen.
>> Best wishes to your wife.

>Dunno why people are harping on about keeping all the 'old folk' out of
>the kitchen like it's a given. My Dad (may he RIP) used to cook for us
>well into his 80s. Never burned or hurt himself in the kitchen - ever.
>Grease fires, knife cuts,etc. are not exlusive to 'old folk'. *He* was
>always the one putting out the fires and putting band-aids on cuts, etc.
>when somebody else was cooking.
>
>Breakfast was sacred to him: bacon, sausage, eggs, fried tomato,
>mushrooms sometimes - and toast. He was always pickling something and
>making jams/preserves too. He was also a pressure cooker fan - he had 3
>of them.
>
>Obviously, if somebody is suffering from Alzheimer's/dementia or from
>some other disability that could cause them harm if they were let loose
>in the kitchen is out (at any age) - but that doesn't affect everyone
>(thank goodness).
>
>So, you may well still be cooking up a storm when you're 85. Jes' sayin'.

Age hasn't anything to do with it, many are simply afflicted with
"Klutz Disease" in the womb.... I see examples all the time,
especially those so-called Celebrity Chefs staring in cooking
shows.... most have staff who do the actual cooking behind the scenes,
watching some handle a knife makes me shiver.
I've been cooking all my life since a young child, never once
cut/burned myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-23 12:19 p.m., Cheri wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>
> Yes, when I was recently in the hospital I hated being treated like a
> child too with the "do you understand what I'm saying dear" etc, also dh
> was taking care of some paper work and one of the receptionists kept
> telling him not to lose the paper, to take it to the pharmacy, she told
> him that several times. Finally he said to her, I may be older but I'm
> not senile and I'm sure I can make it to the pharmacy without losing the
> paper. LOL

Fact is that some people don't really understand. They are often full
of drugs that alter their thought processes. When I was in the hospital
after heart surgery there were a number of people who came in one or two
a day, told me their names and their departments and gave me advice. I
didn't remember much. On the day I was discharged I met with the
pharmacist and she talked for a good half hour. Most of it went in one
ear and out the other.

FWIW.... my bypass was an emergency surgery after angioplasty went bad
and they pierced my left main coronary artery while clearing out a
blockage. I was heavily sedated and recall very little of what
happened. I thought that it was 5-10 minutes between that and the
surgery, but my wife said it was over an hour. I remember being told I
have to have "an operation". I woke up looking like Frankenstein and
feeling like I had been hit by a truck. I told my wife that I had not
realized that the "operation" was going to be such a big deal. She said
that they told me, that two doctors had come and explained exactly what
they were going to do. I don't remember that at all.

Patients have a lot on their minds and they do sometimes get very confused.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2019 9:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> No matter how
> small my kitchen ever was, I never had to reach up and over a hot burner
> to get to spices or really to anything.Â* Might be time to rearrange
> things in the kitchen.

Good advice, Jill.

I also have nothing over my stove. Usta be a microwave, there, but that
is now gone. While there is some cupboard space above the empty spot
where the M/W usta be, I never use it.

Prolly why I've never caught on fire!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 07:40:36 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like assistants at
>the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us seniors to be hard of hearing. It
>is embarrassing to have personal questions yelled out so anyone in the whole office
>can hear them. I can't count the number of times I have interrupted someone with,
>"Could you please lower your voice? I don't have a hearing problem."
>
>N.

If they speak loudly it's only because they are the ones with a
hearing problem... if only they would take the marbles out of their
mouths and pronounce words correctly. Why do you think office help is
willing to work at poverty wages...they're high school drop outs.

They also assume older people are uneducated. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like
> assistants at
> the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us seniors to be hard
> of hearing. It
> is embarrassing to have personal questions yelled out so anyone in the
> whole office
> can hear them. I can't count the number of times I have interrupted
> someone with,
> "Could you please lower your voice? I don't have a hearing problem."
>
> N.

Yes, when I was recently in the hospital I hated being treated like a child
too with the "do you understand what I'm saying dear" etc, also dh was
taking care of some paper work and one of the receptionists kept telling him
not to lose the paper, to take it to the pharmacy, she told him that several
times. Finally he said to her, I may be older but I'm not senile and I'm
sure I can make it to the pharmacy without losing the paper. LOL

Cheri

==

That is awful I haven't come across that here ... yet!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-23 1:15 p.m., notbob wrote:
> On 1/22/2019 9:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> No matter how small my kitchen ever was, I never had to reach up and
>> over a hot burner to get to spices or really to anything.Â* Might be
>> time to rearrange things in the kitchen.

> Good advice, Jill.
>
> I also have nothing over my stove.Â* Usta be a microwave, there, but that
> is now gone.Â* While there is some cupboard space above the empty spot
> where the M/W usta be, I never use it.
>
> Prolly why I've never caught on fire!Â*

In view of the number of people who have questioned the location of
those herbs and spices, I took a serious look at it this morning. I had
no problems reaching into all three shelves on that spice cabinet
without getting myself or my clothes anywhere near the burner. I don't
know how she managed to get her sweater and vest dragged across the
burner. FWIW, she was using a very small pot on the smaller, so there
was a lot of hot burner coil exposed. The sweater and the vest were
both very loose fitting.

I am not looking to blame anyone in this incident. I just won't to
remind people that these things can and do happen. I had said just a day
or two earlier that I did not thing that gas burners were any more
dangerous than electric. I think the big problem there was the loose
fitting clothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message ...

On 1/22/2019 9:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> No matter how
> small my kitchen ever was, I never had to reach up and over a hot burner
> to get to spices or really to anything. Might be time to rearrange
> things in the kitchen.

Good advice, Jill.

I also have nothing over my stove. Usta be a microwave, there, but that
is now gone. While there is some cupboard space above the empty spot
where the M/W usta be, I never use it.

Prolly why I've never caught on fire!

nb

==

We have an extractor hood over ours. I can't really envisage a cupboard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2019 12:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/23/2019 12:19 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>>> Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like
>>> assistants at
>>> the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us seniors to be
>>> hard of hearing.* It
>>> is embarrassing to have personal questions yelled out so anyone in
>>> the whole office
>>> can hear them.* I can't count the number of times I have interrupted
>>> someone with,
>>> "Could you please lower your voice?* I don't have a hearing problem."
>>>
>>> N.

>> Yes, when I was recently in the hospital I hated being treated like a
>> child too with the "do you understand what I'm saying dear" etc,

> That's got to be annoying!* Don't call me "dear".* I'm not dear to you,
> I'm a patient.
>
>> also dh was taking care of some paper work and one of the
>> receptionists kept telling him not to lose the paper, to take it to
>> the pharmacy, she told him that several times. Finally he said to her,
>> I may be older but I'm not senile and I'm sure I can make it to the
>> pharmacy without losing the paper. LOL
>>
>> Cheri

> I'm sure he could and did!* You're lucky the hospital has a pharmacy.
> When I was last in the hospital and discharged the doctor told me to get
> my Rx filled there.* I asked a nurse where the pharmacy is and she said,
> "I wish the doctors would stop telling people that.* There is *no*
> hospital pharmacy."
>
> Oh...
>
> Jill

Really not a big deal if you leave the hospital around noon, but they
discharge at all hours now. Thankfully, most areas have late or even 24
hour pharmacies
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-23 1:43 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/23/2019 12:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I'm sure he could and did!Â* You're lucky the hospital has a pharmacy.
>> When I was last in the hospital and discharged the doctor told me to
>> get my Rx filled there.Â* I asked a nurse where the pharmacy is and she
>> said, "I wish the doctors would stop telling people that.Â* There is
>> *no* hospital pharmacy."
>>
>> Oh...
>>
>> Jill

> Really not a big deal if you leave the hospital around noon, but they
> discharge at all hours now.Â* Thankfully, most areas have late or even 24
> hour pharmacies

Maybe it depends on the size of the hospital or the location. The
hospital closest to us does not have a pharmacy in it, but there is a
24hr pharmacy right across the street from it. My son had surgery on
his nose back in the fall and I picked him up at the new hospital in a
different city. They had a pharmacy there.

When I had my heart surgery there was a pharmacy in the hospital. The
hospital pharmacist had already checked and found that they did not have
one of the things I needed. We could have waited a few hours for them to
get it but after 8 days in there I wanted to get home. We called our
regular pharmacy and they ordered it and had it in stock by the time we
got home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 1:33:15 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> We have an extractor hood over ours. I can't really envisage a cupboard.

We have a hood with cupboards over it.

Like the top two or three on this page:

<https://www.broan.com/Range-Hoods>

It exhausts through ductwork that runs up inside the cabinets.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2019-01-23 12:19 p.m., Cheri wrote:
>> "Nancy2" > wrote in message Yes, when I was
>> recently in the hospital I hated being treated like a child too with the
>> "do you understand what I'm saying dear" etc, also dh was taking care of
>> some paper work and one of the receptionists kept telling him not to lose
>> the paper, to take it to the pharmacy, she told him that several times.
>> Finally he said to her, I may be older but I'm not senile and I'm sure I
>> can make it to the pharmacy without losing the paper. LOL
>>

> Fact is that some people don't really understand. They are often full of
> drugs that alter their thought processes. When I was in the hospital after
> heart surgery there were a number of people who came in one or two a day,
> told me their names and their departments and gave me advice. I didn't
> remember much. On the day I was discharged I met with the pharmacist and
> she talked for a good half hour. Most of it went in one ear and out the
> other.
>
> FWIW.... my bypass was an emergency surgery after angioplasty went bad and
> they pierced my left main coronary artery while clearing out a blockage.
> I was heavily sedated and recall very little of what happened. I thought
> that it was 5-10 minutes between that and the surgery, but my wife said it
> was over an hour. I remember being told I have to have "an operation". I
> woke up looking like Frankenstein and feeling like I had been hit by a
> truck. I told my wife that I had not realized that the "operation" was
> going to be such a big deal. She said that they told me, that two doctors
> had come and explained exactly what they were going to do. I don't
> remember that at all.
>
> Patients have a lot on their minds and they do sometimes get very
> confused.

Except my dh was NOT the patient, I was. I don't feel that they needed to
keep calling me sweetie, honey, dear, etc. either since everytime they came
in to do anything, they had me say my full name and birth date, so I would
have preferred to have been called Cheri like an adult, no biggie, just got
on my nerves a bit.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "notbob" wrote in message ...
> On 1/22/2019 9:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> No matter how small my kitchen ever was, I never had to reach up and over
>> a hot burner to get to spices or really to anything. Might be time to
>> rearrange things in the kitchen.

> Good advice, Jill.
>
> I also have nothing over my stove. Usta be a microwave, there, but that
> is now gone. While there is some cupboard space above the empty spot
> where the M/W usta be, I never use it.
>
> Prolly why I've never caught on fire!
>
> nb
>
> ==
>
> We have an extractor hood over ours. I can't really envisage a cupboard.

I have an extractor hood too, and also two cupboards above that which I
consider useless really.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 1:33:15 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> We have an extractor hood over ours. I can't really envisage a cupboard.

> We have a hood with cupboards over it.
>
> Like the top two or three on this page:
>
> <https://www.broan.com/Range-Hoods>
>
> It exhausts through ductwork that runs up inside the cabinets.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Yes, same here.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message ...
>
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Chatty, one of the things I find most annoying is young people, like
>> assistants at
>> the doctor's office or dentist's office, expecting us seniors to be hard
>> of hearing. It
>> is embarrassing to have personal questions yelled out so anyone in the
>> whole office
>> can hear them. I can't count the number of times I have interrupted
>> someone with,
>> "Could you please lower your voice? I don't have a hearing problem."
>>
>> N.

> Yes, when I was recently in the hospital I hated being treated like a
> child
> too with the "do you understand what I'm saying dear" etc, also dh was
> taking care of some paper work and one of the receptionists kept telling
> him
> not to lose the paper, to take it to the pharmacy, she told him that
> several
> times. Finally he said to her, I may be older but I'm not senile and I'm
> sure I can make it to the pharmacy without losing the paper. LOL
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> That is awful I haven't come across that here ... yet!!

Well, I have not been in any type of facility, hospital etc., since my kids
were born over 50 years ago, I was very young then so I don't remember
anyone talking to me that way, of course back then you could smoke in the
hospital bed too. LOL

Cheri