Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Folks, my kitchen smells horrible (Was: Tammy my kitchen....)

Ugh. I just put a banana bread in the oven (a James Beard recipe that
we like) about 15 minutes ago and suddenly I can smell burning, all the
way up here on the second floor. The dang thing has overflowed and is
charring on the floor of the oven.

My bad. The recipe called for a 9x5 inch bread pan and I poured the
batter into a longer, narrower bread pan, maybe 11x4.

Tomorrow morning I'll scrape out the oven and do a major cleaning.
That'll teach me. Meanwhile it does smell something awful.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote

> Ugh. I just put a banana bread in the oven (a James Beard recipe that we
> like) about 15 minutes ago and suddenly I can smell burning, all the way
> up here on the second floor. The dang thing has overflowed and is
> charring on the floor of the oven.

Argh. My kitchen smells horrible, too, because I'm running the
self-clean cycle for the first time. All windows open, fans ...
still stinks. Gotta do it sooner or later, now seemed like a good
time.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> Ugh. I just put a banana bread in the oven (a James Beard recipe that
> we like) about 15 minutes ago and suddenly I can smell burning, all the
> way up here on the second floor. The dang thing has overflowed and is
> charring on the floor of the oven.
>
> My bad. The recipe called for a 9x5 inch bread pan and I poured the
> batter into a longer, narrower bread pan, maybe 11x4.

The capacity of those pans is essentially identical... if one pan
overflowed so would the other... something is wrong with your recipe
and/or measurements. Banana bread is a quick bread that is made from a
very thick batter that would rise fairly high out of the pan and still
not flop over. I bet you felt generous and added a couple extra
bananas, they were over ripe and you wanted to use them up... in baking
banana counts as liquid.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

Get some "Ozium" and spray it. A 2 - 3 second burst will absorb and
neutralize ANY odor including cigarette smoke. Small cans are available
in MOST auto supply sections of Wal-Mart. Large cans (14oz) you will
most likely either need to get from the internet or a medical supply house.

I smoke. My wife is sensitive to cigarette smoke. When I smoke in the
den, I spray with Ozium and within 15 minutes my wife has no problem.
People who come to our home do not know I smoke or we have 2 dogs - it
is that good.

I have no connection with the company and I do not sell or distribute
the product.

> Ugh. I just put a banana bread in the oven (a James Beard recipe that
> we like) about 15 minutes ago and suddenly I can smell burning, all the
> way up here on the second floor. The dang thing has overflowed and is
> charring on the floor of the oven.
>
> My bad. The recipe called for a 9x5 inch bread pan and I poured the
> batter into a longer, narrower bread pan, maybe 11x4.
>
> Tomorrow morning I'll scrape out the oven and do a major cleaning.
> That'll teach me. Meanwhile it does smell something awful.
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> Ugh. I just put a banana bread in the oven (a James Beard recipe that
> we like) about 15 minutes ago and suddenly I can smell burning, all
> the way up here on the second floor. The dang thing has overflowed
> and is charring on the floor of the oven.
>
> My bad. The recipe called for a 9x5 inch bread pan and I poured the
> batter into a longer, narrower bread pan, maybe 11x4.
>
> Tomorrow morning I'll scrape out the oven and do a major cleaning.
> That'll teach me. Meanwhile it does smell something awful.
>
> gloria p

Ah, reminds me of the time when I made gingerbread using a recipe that
called for baking powder - unfortunately I used self-raising flour
instead of plain. It erupted like a volcano .

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 30 Sep 2006 06:47:58p, Puester meant to say...

> Ugh. I just put a banana bread in the oven (a James Beard recipe that
> we like) about 15 minutes ago and suddenly I can smell burning, all the
> way up here on the second floor. The dang thing has overflowed and is
> charring on the floor of the oven.
>
> My bad. The recipe called for a 9x5 inch bread pan and I poured the
> batter into a longer, narrower bread pan, maybe 11x4.
>
> Tomorrow morning I'll scrape out the oven and do a major cleaning.
> That'll teach me. Meanwhile it does smell something awful.
>
> gloria p

Oh, what a shame and waste!

Gloria, throw several handfuls of baking soda onto the spill. Once the
oven is cool, moisten well and let it sit until tomorrow. It will help
with both the odor and cleaning.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats don't correct your stories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 30 Sep 2006 07:16:57p, Ted Campanelli meant to say...

> Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
> so great) words of knowledge:
>
> Get some "Ozium" and spray it. A 2 - 3 second burst will absorb and
> neutralize ANY odor including cigarette smoke. Small cans are available
> in MOST auto supply sections of Wal-Mart. Large cans (14oz) you will
> most likely either need to get from the internet or a medical supply house.

Point well taaken, Ted. Ozium is amazing!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats don't correct your stories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> My bad. The recipe called for a 9x5 inch bread pan and I poured the
> batter into a longer, narrower bread pan, maybe 11x4.
> gloria p

What's the third dimension? As you said it above, the volume of the two
pans oughtta be close enough to not make a problem. Are you sure you
measured the leavener right? JAT.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller; blahblahblog 9/29/2006
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> Ugh. I just put a banana bread in the oven (a James Beard recipe that
> we like) about 15 minutes ago and suddenly I can smell burning, all the
> way up here on the second floor. The dang thing has overflowed and is
> charring on the floor of the oven.
>
> My bad. The recipe called for a 9x5 inch bread pan and I poured the
> batter into a longer, narrower bread pan, maybe 11x4.
>
> Tomorrow morning I'll scrape out the oven and do a major cleaning.
> That'll teach me. Meanwhile it does smell something awful.
>
> gloria p

Incense is the only thing that ever worked for me to get the burned
smell out of the house.

Gonesh brand, "Ancient times" works best, or the real hand-made "Nag
Champa" from India if you can find it.....

Good luck!
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh pshaw, on Sat 30 Sep 2006 07:16:57p, Ted Campanelli meant to say...
>
> > Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
> > so great) words of knowledge:
> >
> > Get some "Ozium" and spray it. A 2 - 3 second burst will absorb and
> > neutralize ANY odor including cigarette smoke. Small cans are available
> > in MOST auto supply sections of Wal-Mart. Large cans (14oz) you will
> > most likely either need to get from the internet or a medical supply house.

> Point well taaken, Ted. Ozium is amazing!

I'm going to have to try some of that......
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Puester > wrote:
>> My bad. The recipe called for a 9x5 inch bread pan and I poured the
>> batter into a longer, narrower bread pan, maybe 11x4.
>> gloria p

> What's the third dimension? As you said it above, the volume of the two
> pans oughtta be close enough to not make a problem. Are you sure you
> measured the leavener right? JAT.

When I actually looked into the oven the overflow wasn't as bad as it
smelled. There were two sploops on the oven floor, each the diameter of
a half dollar. Not so bad, but the smoke and smell were awful.

Sheldon got it partly right--the recipe called for "two overripe
bananas, 1 cup" My bananas were small and it took 3 1/2 of them to make
a cup, and they were also ripe enough so that the texture after mashing
them was very liquid. And you're right, too. A tsp. of baking powder
didn't seem like very much for all that batter so I shook the spoon
lightly and didn't level it off. There was probably an extra 1/8 tsp.
of b.p. I've made this recipe so many times, I thought it was
foolproof. Guess not.

Okay, you got me curious so I went and measured.
Regular loaf pans 9x5x3
bread pans 10.5 x 4 x 2.75

I luv the shape of the loaves made in the bread pans. I bought them in
Copenhagen 10 years ago (in a wonderful kitchen shop that is no longer
there) and notice they are now in the King Arthur flour catalog.
I'll have to be more careful what I use them for. (Ooh, that's an ugly
sentence.)

gloria p