Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Instead of buttermilk

I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
real stuff.
Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-11 4:09 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
> real stuff.
> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.

I have used it many times for pancakes and they have always turned out
nicely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
> real stuff.
> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.
> Janet US

I think it only provides the acidity for reaction with leavening like
soda. Not a good substitute for taste though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
> real stuff.
> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.
> Janet US

I didnt like the Vinegar version either. Powder is very close to
fresh. I also tried freezing some fresh and it 'works ok' (got a sale
of 4 quarts for 5$ so froze all but one).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 17:02:05 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-01-11 4:09 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
>> real stuff.
>> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
>> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.

>I have used it many times for pancakes and they have always turned out
>nicely.

I didn't say they didn't turn out, just that the taste leaves
something to be desired compared to using the real thing. The taste
was flat. I've always used buttermilk and the taste is rounder and
smoother on the tongue, If you've always used the milk/vinegar you
will be accustomed to that taste. YMMV

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-11 7:03 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 17:02:05 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2019-01-11 4:09 p.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>>
>>> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
>>> real stuff.
>>> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
>>> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.

>> I have used it many times for pancakes and they have always turned out
>> nicely.

> I didn't say they didn't turn out, just that the taste leaves
> something to be desired compared to using the real thing. The taste
> was flat. I've always used buttermilk and the taste is rounder and
> smoother on the tongue, If you've always used the milk/vinegar you
> will be accustomed to that taste. YMMV

Not just turned out.... they turned out nicely. They were really good.
Maybe it is the tartness of the vinegar soured milk balancing with the
syrup. I don't always use milk/vinegar. I like to get real buttermilk
once in a while, but since it is sold in 1 litre containers, I have to
find other things to so with it. I also usually have powdered
buttermilk on hand and usually use that. I guess the reason I end up
with milk vinegar frequently is that I use so little milk that I end up
with a bunch of milk to be used up before its expiry date.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 6:31:18 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> I like to get real buttermilk
> once in a while, but since it is sold in 1 litre containers, I have to
> find other things to so with it.

Why? Buttermilk will keep for a-g-e-s in the refrigerator.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 16:44:14 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 6:31:18 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I like to get real buttermilk
>> once in a while, but since it is sold in 1 litre containers, I have to
>> find other things to so with it.
>>

>Why? Buttermilk will keep for a-g-e-s in the refrigerator.

so true
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2019 2:09 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
> real stuff.
> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.

Try lemon juice.

I suspect you have very good flavor receptors and can tell the diff. I
cannot, so I use lemon juice or white vinegar in whole milk. It works
as well as powdered buttermilk (IMO).

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 05:54:47 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On 1/11/2019 2:09 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
>> real stuff.
>> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
>> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.

>Try lemon juice.
>
>I suspect you have very good flavor receptors and can tell the diff. I
>cannot, so I use lemon juice or white vinegar in whole milk. It works
>as well as powdered buttermilk (IMO).
>
>nb

I tried a leftover biscuit today. They are "sour" to my taste.
I haven't been without liquid buttermilk in forever (but I was) and
when I checked my stash of powdered buttermilk in the back of the
fridge I discovered that it had a date of 2016 on it. :-(
I will repair these oversights today.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-01-12 11:56 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 05:54:47 -0700, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/2019 2:09 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
>>> real stuff.
>>> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
>>> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.

>> Try lemon juice.
>>
>> I suspect you have very good flavor receptors and can tell the diff. I
>> cannot, so I use lemon juice or white vinegar in whole milk. It works
>> as well as powdered buttermilk (IMO).
>>
>> nb
>>

> I tried a leftover biscuit today. They are "sour" to my taste.
> I haven't been without liquid buttermilk in forever (but I was) and
> when I checked my stash of powdered buttermilk in the back of the
> fridge I discovered that it had a date of 2016 on it. :-(
> I will repair these oversights today.

If it is kept in the fridge it should be good for years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 09:56:01 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 05:54:47 -0700, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 1/11/2019 2:09 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
>>> real stuff.
>>> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
>>> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.

>>Try lemon juice.
>>
>>I suspect you have very good flavor receptors and can tell the diff. I
>>cannot, so I use lemon juice or white vinegar in whole milk. It works
>>as well as powdered buttermilk (IMO).
>>
>>nb
>>

>I tried a leftover biscuit today. They are "sour" to my taste.
>I haven't been without liquid buttermilk in forever (but I was) and
>when I checked my stash of powdered buttermilk in the back of the
>fridge I discovered that it had a date of 2016 on it. :-(
>I will repair these oversights today.
>Janet US

One of my favorite hot weather treats is to chug-a-lug a quart of ice
cold buttermilk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 12:10:44 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-01-12 11:56 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> Try lemon juice.
>>>
>>> I suspect you have very good flavor receptors and can tell the diff. I
>>> cannot, so I use lemon juice or white vinegar in whole milk. It works
>>> as well as powdered buttermilk (IMO).
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> I tried a leftover biscuit today. They are "sour" to my taste.
>> I haven't been without liquid buttermilk in forever (but I was) and
>> when I checked my stash of powdered buttermilk in the back of the
>> fridge I discovered that it had a date of 2016 on it. :-(
>> I will repair these oversights today.
>>

>If it is kept in the fridge it should be good for years.

That was after the 2 year limit that I had marked on the container. I
think Saco says quality for 2 years
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
> real stuff.
> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.
> Janet US

I've used it for countless things like cornbread and muffins.