Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default Instead of buttermilk

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 05:54:47 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>On 1/11/2019 2:09 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> I tried the vinegar in regular milk today as a sub for not having the
>> real stuff.
>> Not nice. The taste was not pleasant in the baked biscuits. Well
>> worth having the powdered buttermilk on hand.

>Try lemon juice.
>
>I suspect you have very good flavor receptors and can tell the diff. I
>cannot, so I use lemon juice or white vinegar in whole milk. It works
>as well as powdered buttermilk (IMO).
>
>nb

I tried a leftover biscuit today. They are "sour" to my taste.
I haven't been without liquid buttermilk in forever (but I was) and
when I checked my stash of powdered buttermilk in the back of the
fridge I discovered that it had a date of 2016 on it. :-(
I will repair these oversights today.
Janet US