Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buttermilk Pie Plus!

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:40:09 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 6/18/2011 10:45 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> I had buttermilk that was so far past its use by date that I
>> contemplated ditching it, but past experience tells me that it is
>> usually still perfect to use in baking.
>>

>Buttermilk age was discussed earlier this year Boron, it was decided
>that it is basically "spoiled" milk anyway so it can't get any worse. I
>think I won the contest as I had a pint that had been in the fridge
>about eight months and was still "good." <G>

I recall a friend opening a cup of yogurt that was a full year past
its date. I raised an eyebrow, but he countered with the following
logic..."What's the worst that can have happened...it.turning into
yogurt?

>The pie sounds great.

Oh, it is nice.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:58:11 -0700, Ranee at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> I recall a friend opening a cup of yogurt that was a full year past
>> its date. I raised an eyebrow, but he countered with the following
>> logic..."What's the worst that can have happened...it.turning into
>> yogurt?

> As long as yogurt hasn't changed colors, it's fine, IMO. Buttermilk
>is pretty close, too. If it is fuzzy or different colors, then out it
>goes.

That happened to me with a quart of buttermilk once. Boy oh boy did it
look colorful when I poured it out.

Boron