Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dried pinto beans

I gotta bunch or 'em.

I'm not a pinto bean fancier, but I do love beans. Anyone have a
recipe, other than re-fried" beans and/or any kinda Mexican frijoles
dish. Otherwise, I'm jes gonna give 'em away.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 12:43:19 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:

> I gotta bunch or 'em.
>
> I'm not a pinto bean fancier, but I do love beans. Anyone have a
> recipe, other than re-fried" beans and/or any kinda Mexican frijoles
> dish. Otherwise, I'm jes gonna give 'em away.
>
> nb

I'm not a pinto bean connoisseur either; got burned out on them as a kid.
They'd make great pie weights if consuming them is not in your plans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 11:43:14 -0700, notbob > wrote:

>I gotta bunch or 'em.
>
>I'm not a pinto bean fancier, but I do love beans. Anyone have a
>recipe, other than re-fried" beans and/or any kinda Mexican frijoles
>dish. Otherwise, I'm jes gonna give 'em away.
>
>nb

Ree Drummond, Food Network has a bunch of ways to prepare them, here's
one
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2074741
more
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2107633
more
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...-beans-2239322

maybe you'll get some ideas

as you see, she starts with a basic and switches up

good luck
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> I gotta bunch or 'em.
>
> I'm not a pinto bean fancier, but I do love beans. Anyone have a
> recipe, other than re-fried" beans and/or any kinda Mexican frijoles
> dish. Otherwise, I'm jes gonna give 'em away.

i'd take 'em. we love beans of almost any kind.
pinto beans included.

i always cook beans simple, in water. you can
always do other things with them later after
they're cooked.

if you don't like them don't bother trying to
hide them, they're not mild mannered or delicate.

the best use of them if you're not happy with
the flavor is to make a pot of chili and put them
in after the beans are fully cooked (i don't like
beans cooked with other things as they often
get tougher skins than if they're just cooked in
water).

a way i would use them up here would be as
nachoes (chips, cheese, beans, onions, etc.).

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2018 1:43 PM, notbob wrote:
> I gotta bunch or 'em.
>
> I'm not a pinto bean fancier, but I do love beans.Â* Anyone have a
> recipe, other than re-fried" beans and/or any kinda Mexican frijoles
> dish.Â*Â*Â*Â* Otherwise, I'm jes gonna give 'em away.Â*
>
> nb

Well, you could always soak them, then cook them down in chicken stock
with sauteed vegetables (onion, garlic... you know the drill). Serve
them alongside a mess of greens.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, notbob >
wrote:

> I gotta bunch or 'em.
>
> I'm not a pinto bean fancier, but I do love beans. Anyone have a
> recipe, other than re-fried" beans and/or any kinda Mexican frijoles
> dish. Otherwise, I'm jes gonna give 'em away.

They work fine with ham and beans.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2018 4:09 PM, songbird wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> I gotta bunch or 'em.
>>
>> I'm not a pinto bean fancier, but I do love beans. Anyone have a
>> recipe, other than re-fried" beans and/or any kinda Mexican frijoles
>> dish. Otherwise, I'm jes gonna give 'em away.

> i'd take 'em. we love beans of almost any kind.
> pinto beans included.
>
> i always cook beans simple, in water. you can
> always do other things with them later after
> they're cooked.
>
> if you don't like them don't bother trying to
> hide them, they're not mild mannered or delicate.
>
> the best use of them if you're not happy with
> the flavor is to make a pot of chili and put them
> in after the beans are fully cooked (i don't like
> beans cooked with other things as they often
> get tougher skins than if they're just cooked in
> water).
>
> a way i would use them up here would be as
> nachoes (chips, cheese, beans, onions, etc.).
>

> songbird

This is how I usually cook them:

PINTO BEANS AND BROWN RICE

1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
1/2 tsp cumin or to taste
1 tsp oregano or to taste
3 cups cooked pinto beans, drained, or 2 15-oz cans, rinsed and drained
1 28-oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
cooked brown rice

Heat oil in saucepan. When oil is hot, add onions and cook for a minute
or so, then add garlic and jalapeno. When onions are translucent, after
about 5 minutes, add the cumin and oregano.

Stir once and add the pinto beans, tomatoes, cilantro, salt and pepper.

Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.

Get the rice started just before you add the beans to the onions and
garlic. The beans simmer while the rice is cooking, and are done at
about the same time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2018 5:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/28/2018 1:43 PM, notbob wrote:
>> I gotta bunch or 'em.
>>
>> I'm not a pinto bean fancier, but I do love beans.Â* Anyone have a
>> recipe, other than re-fried" beans and/or any kinda Mexican frijoles
>> dish.Â*Â*Â*Â* Otherwise, I'm jes gonna give 'em away.Â*
>>
>> nb

> Well, you could always soak them, then cook them down in chicken stock
> with sauteed vegetables (onion, garlic... you know the drill).Â* Serve
> them alongside a mess of greens.
>
> Jill

Oh, add to the beans and veggies a bay leaf and a sprig or two of thyme
(or a tsp. of dried thyme). Cover and cook on low heat until tender and
cooked down (about 30 minutes) but *not* to the point where all the
liquid is all gone. Season to taste with S&P. I usually use navy beans
for this but pintos should work just fine.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 22:41:29 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/28/2018 5:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/28/2018 1:43 PM, notbob wrote:
>>> I gotta bunch or 'em.
>>>
>>> I'm not a pinto bean fancier, but I do love beans.* Anyone have a
>>> recipe, other than re-fried" beans and/or any kinda Mexican frijoles
>>> dish.**** Otherwise, I'm jes gonna give 'em away.*
>>>
>>> nb

>> Well, you could always soak them, then cook them down in chicken stock
>> with sauteed vegetables (onion, garlic... you know the drill).* Serve
>> them alongside a mess of greens.
>>
>> Jill

>Oh, add to the beans and veggies a bay leaf and a sprig or two of thyme
>(or a tsp. of dried thyme). Cover and cook on low heat until tender and
>cooked down (about 30 minutes) but *not* to the point where all the
>liquid is all gone. Season to taste with S&P. I usually use navy beans
>for this but pintos should work just fine.
>
>Jill

I like refried beans, with pork chops... I prefer black beans but
pintos work well too.
Fry the pork chops and then mash the beans in the unwashed pan. Penzys
adobo is all the seasoning needed.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ed-beans.htmld
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/2018 1:17 PM, wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 22:41:29 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Well, you could always soak them, then cook them down in chicken stock
>>> with sauteed vegetables (onion, garlic... you know the drill).Â* Serve
>>> them alongside a mess of greens.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Oh, add to the beans and veggies a bay leaf and a sprig or two of thyme
>> (or a tsp. of dried thyme). Cover and cook on low heat until tender and
>> cooked down (about 30 minutes) but *not* to the point where all the
>> liquid is all gone. Season to taste with S&P. I usually use navy beans
>> for this but pintos should work just fine.
>>
>> Jill

> I like refried beans, with pork chops... I prefer black beans but
> pintos work well too.
> Fry the pork chops and then mash the beans in the unwashed pan. Penzys
> adobo is all the seasoning needed.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...ed-beans.htmld

Well, nb did say he wasn't looking for refried beans or Mexican
frijoles. I was answering his question about what to do with them.

I like black beans. Especially in soups. But I prefer navy beans or
great northern over pintos, for sure. I'm not all that impressed by
Penzey's adobo. I have a bottle of it but use it rarely. It's not that
I'm trying to contradict you. I just don't like it as much as you do.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucks pintos with onions are good for beans and franks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 11:43:14 -0700, notbob wrote:

> I gotta bunch or 'em.
>
> I'm not a pinto bean fancier, but I do love beans. Anyone have a
> recipe, other than re-fried" beans and/or any kinda Mexican frijoles
> dish. Otherwise, I'm jes gonna give 'em away.
>
> nb

I just ate a bag of the best refried beans ever. A half-kilo bag
sold in the refrigerated section. I snipped off a corner to taste
them and ended up eating half the bag "just like the astronauts do".
then I came back down to earth ate the rest as bean and cheese
tacos.

I'll be buying a bag of these every time I go to the store. Just
rehydrated pinto beans, 6% lard, and salt.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...-beans/1705165

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 09:02:50 GMT, Pamela >
wrote:

>We don't hear much these days from Leavers about how easy and how great
>Brexit is going to be. The wheels have come off the Brexit clown car.

As long as it's still happening, they've won.