Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pinto beans

So my refried beans were a success.
I bought some more dry pinto beans today and was just reading the
label.

14g of fiber per 1/4 cup !!! Whoa! That's colon-blow.

What are some other ways to prepare these babies?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hw hw is offline

> 14g of fiber per 1/4 cup !!! Whoa! That's colon-blow.
>
> What are some other ways to prepare these babies?

add a couple of smoked ham hocks or smoked turkey wings to the pot of beans
as it cooks on the stove.

Harriet & critters

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:16:14 +0000, wrote:

> So my refried beans were a success.
> I bought some more dry pinto beans today and was just reading the
> label.

Try some black ones. Here is one without any meat that is rich and
wonderful.

1 pound dried black beans
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 teaspoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 large onion,peeled, with root fibers attached
4 large cloves garlic, slightly smashed
2 bay leaves
2 jalapeno chiles, cut lengthwise
1 bunch cilantro, tied
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons peppercorns
3 quarts water
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Spread the beans out on a cookie sheet and remove any foreign particles.
Rinse the beans in cold water two or three times. Do not soak.

2. Roast cumin, coriander and oregano together and crush or roughly
grind in spice mill. Tie them up together with the onion, garlic,
jalapenos, cilantro, bay leaves, thyme, and peppercorns in cheesecloth and
simmer in water for 15 minutes.

3. Add the beans, tomato puree, and salt to the water and simmer very low
for 3 hours, or until the beans are completely soft and just starting to
fall apart. Add water as necessary. Remove the cheesecloth bag.

4. To make a thicker soup, you can puree 1 1/2 cups beans and
stir them back into the soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
" <> wrote:

> So my refried beans were a success.
> I bought some more dry pinto beans today and was just reading the
> label.
>
> 14g of fiber per 1/4 cup !!! Whoa! That's colon-blow.
>
> What are some other ways to prepare these babies?

I like them cooked up as a thick soup, flavored with sliced onion,
garlic, a little ginger and some pre-cooked bacon. :-)

A bit of thinly sliced carrot works well too.

LOTS of folks cook beans in a ham stock made from leftover ham bones.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:16:14 GMT,
" <> wrote:

>So my refried beans were a success.
>I bought some more dry pinto beans today and was just reading the
>label.
>
>14g of fiber per 1/4 cup !!! Whoa! That's colon-blow.

That's an image I could do without.

Howsomever, you could make beans with a ham hock, some garlic, and a
little jalapeno. When they are done, you can serve them warm with a
chilled hot relish like chow chow.

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:16:14 GMT,
" <> wrote:

>So my refried beans were a success.
>I bought some more dry pinto beans today and was just reading the
>label.
>
>14g of fiber per 1/4 cup !!! Whoa! That's colon-blow.
>
>What are some other ways to prepare these babies?

This is my (Texas) grandmother's recipe, you'll have to eyeball the
quanties because that's what she did. It's very simple peasant food.
Don't try to gussy it up, it just won't taste right.

dried pinto beans
onion, diced
garlic, minced
smoked ham hocks, sliced into thirds
Gebhardt Chili Powder, the more the better

Saute the onion and garlic, add beans and ham hocks, cover with water
to about an inch and a half over the beans and bring to a simmer (it's
meant to be soupy -- add water to keep it soupy if necessary). Skim
off any scum. Add chili powder to taste (and I do mean taste it as you
add it -- it gets hotter, then hotter again as leftovers, but if you
don't add enough it'll be wimpy). Simmer for about an hour. When beans
are just about soft, remove the hocks and allow to cool. Stip the meat
off (there won't be alot) and return to the beans. Serve when beans
are soft.

Make a batch of corn bread, dollop butter on top, pour some blackstrap
molasses over the corn bread and butter. Serve the beans in a bowl
with raw white onion and some cheese on top.

Enjoy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:16:14 GMT,
" <> wrote:

> So my refried beans were a success.
> I bought some more dry pinto beans today and was just reading the
> label.
>
> 14g of fiber per 1/4 cup !!! Whoa! That's colon-blow.
>
> What are some other ways to prepare these babies?

Make soup!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:21:43 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I like them cooked up as a thick soup, flavored with sliced onion,
> garlic, a little ginger and some pre-cooked bacon. :-)
>
> A bit of thinly sliced carrot works well too.

Mine is plainer than yours, no ginger or bacon - but I always add
salt. Serve with a big dollop of salsa and sprinkle with chopped
cilantro.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:21:43 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > I like them cooked up as a thick soup, flavored with sliced onion,
> > garlic, a little ginger and some pre-cooked bacon. :-)
> >
> > A bit of thinly sliced carrot works well too.
> >

> Mine is plainer than yours, no ginger or bacon - but I always add
> salt. Serve with a big dollop of salsa and sprinkle with chopped
> cilantro.

Mixed with eggs and cheese, they are great as breakfast burritos!

Altho' around here, they call them tacos even with the flour tortillas.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 01:16:14 GMT,
" <> wrote:

>So my refried beans were a success.
>I bought some more dry pinto beans today and was just reading the
>label.
>
>14g of fiber per 1/4 cup !!! Whoa! That's colon-blow.
>
>What are some other ways to prepare these babies?

I love to boil or pressure-cook them in just enough water to cover,
with or without onion and garlic, then salt them and eat them over
cornbread.

serene

Pinto Beans Lou Decruss General Cooking 27 23-01-2012 08:49 PM
Ham REC - Drunk Pinto Beans Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 0 02-03-2009 03:46 AM
New Mexico Pinto Beans Marty Norton Recipes (moderated) 0 26-04-2005 03:35 AM
Canning pinto beans Dwayne Preserving 4 06-01-2005 08:49 PM
Perky Pinto Beans Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 01:30 PM