Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default WAY OT Computer question

I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard.
The
computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but
the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
have a tech coming from Best Buy on Tuesday to set it up for me and wonder
what type if any
adapters there are for this. I haven't seen those type of plugs since Win98.
Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not computer tech savvy at all as you
know.

--
Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:08:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard.
>The
>computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but
>the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
>have a tech coming from Best Buy on Tuesday to set it up for me and wonder
>what type if any
>adapters there are for this. I haven't seen those type of plugs since Win98.
>Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not computer tech savvy at all as you
>know.

The round plugs are PS2 (old school).

The flat ones are USB.
The computer SHOULD have USB ports you can use.

There ARE adapters available, but you'd be better off using a USB
port.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jes Me" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:08:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard.
>>The
>>computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type,
>>but
>>the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends.
>>have a tech coming from Best Buy on Tuesday to set it up for me and wonder
>>what type if any
>>adapters there are for this. I haven't seen those type of plugs since
>>Win98.
>>Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not computer tech savvy at all as you
>>know.

> The round plugs are PS2 (old school).
>
> The flat ones are USB.
> The computer SHOULD have USB ports you can use.
>
> There ARE adapters available, but you'd be better off using a USB
> port.

OK, thanks for that answer, it cleared up some things for me, the computer
does have USB ports, but the silly video showed the round being highlighted.
Again, thanks. I'm sure (hoping) the tech knows what to do.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 5:09:02 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
> I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard..
> The
> computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but
> the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
> have a tech coming from Best Buy on Tuesday to set it up for me and wonder
> what type if any
> adapters there are for this. I haven't seen those type of plugs since Win98.
> Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not computer tech savvy at all as you
> know.
>
> --
> Cheri

Guess who besides now being an RN is a Computer Engineer by degree! :-)

There are all SORTS of different physical interface formats. Stupid I know but there are. At least three different USB which is probably what the "slotted flat plug ends" are. And I can ;t remember what the round ones you describe are but they are an old computer interface format.

All you need are two small cheap physical adapters, USB to "round pin type" on the back of your computer.

And that is the nice thing about having computer interface standards, we have so many to choose from!

Now you know why I became an RN? Computers got too STUPID! And your Best Buy Geek Squad tech will have what you need, and charge you a $100 tech fee to do it FOR you!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 17:42:55 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:22:48 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 5:09:02 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>> I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard.
>>> The
>>> computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but
>>> the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I
>>> have a tech coming from Best Buy on Tuesday to set it up for me and wonder
>>> what type if any
>>> adapters there are for this. I haven't seen those type of plugs since Win98.
>>> Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not computer tech savvy at all as you
>>> know.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheri

>> Guess who besides now being an RN is a Computer Engineer by
>> degree! :-)
>>
>> There are all SORTS of different physical interface formats.
>> Stupid I know but there are. At least three different USB which
>> is probably what the "slotted flat plug ends" are. And I can ;t
>> remember what the round ones you describe are but they are an old
>> computer interface format.
>>
>> All you need are two small cheap physical adapters, USB to "round
>> pin type" on the back of your computer.
>>
>> And that is the nice thing about having computer interface
>> standards, we have so many to choose from!
>>
>> Now you know why I became an RN? Computers got too STUPID! And
>> your Best Buy Geek Squad tech will have what you need, and charge
>> you a $100 tech fee to do it FOR you!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>You got that 100% wrong.
>
>The "round pin type" connectors are for the sound devices -
>speakers, line-in, and microphone. Any computer with Win10 is not
>going to have PS2 connections (or DIN8), but it may have a round
>S-Video out connector. She's just not finding her USB connections -
>some of which are probably on the front of the computer, and not to
>be confused with the slighly wider and bevelled HDMI connections.
>She does not need any sort of adaptors at all with a new computer
>that came bundled with mouse and keyboard.

This is the correct answer and you go to the next round.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-16 6:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
> I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and
> keyboard. The computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are
> round pin type, but the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the
> slotted flat plug ends. I have a tech coming from Best Buy on Tuesday
> to set it up for me and wonder what type if any adapters there are
> for this. I haven't seen those type of plugs since Win98. Thanks to
> anyone who can help, I am not computer tech savvy at all as you
> know.

Those flat plug ends fit into USB ports. Most desktops come with at
least four USB ports.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 5:09:02 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard.
>
> Cheri

Piggybacking onto your post that really has nothing to do with slotted flat
plugs or round pin type. Pema, the cat, has once again chewed through a
power cord for a laptop. Twice she has chewed through two Chromebook cords
and this time it was through my Asus power cord. GRRRRRRRRR

I've got one coming from eBay and when it arrives Monday or Tuesday I will
take it with me to Home Depot. There I will purchase a package of refrig-
erator water line tubing and split it down the middle. The new power cord
will be inserted in the middle of this tubing to discourage further chewing.
I had to do this with the second Chromebook cord and so far, so good.

Ain't pets grand? :-/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
>I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard.
>The
> computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type,
> but
> the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends.
> have a tech coming from Best Buy on Tuesday to set it up for me and wonder
> what type if any
> adapters there are for this. I haven't seen those type of plugs since
> Win98. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not computer tech savvy at all
> as you know.

Sounds like you are describing USB plug ins. Look on the front of the
processor if there are no such slots on the back. Mine have them front and
back. These days, processors should have a lot. Most things that plug in are
USB.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Jes Me" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:08:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and
>>>keyboard.
>>>The
>>>computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type,
>>>but
>>>the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends.
>>>have a tech coming from Best Buy on Tuesday to set it up for me and
>>>wonder
>>>what type if any
>>>adapters there are for this. I haven't seen those type of plugs since
>>>Win98.
>>>Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not computer tech savvy at all as you
>>>know.

>> The round plugs are PS2 (old school).
>>
>> The flat ones are USB.
>> The computer SHOULD have USB ports you can use.
>>
>> There ARE adapters available, but you'd be better off using a USB
>> port.

> OK, thanks for that answer, it cleared up some things for me, the computer
> does have USB ports, but the silly video showed the round being
> highlighted. Again, thanks. I'm sure (hoping) the tech knows what to do.

Computers are dead easy to hook up. Most of your plug ins/ports should be
color coded. If USB, then plug into any USB port.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:22:48 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 5:09:02 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>> I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and
>>> keyboard.
>>> The
>>> computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type,
>>> but
>>> the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug
>>> ends. I
>>> have a tech coming from Best Buy on Tuesday to set it up for me and
>>> wonder
>>> what type if any
>>> adapters there are for this. I haven't seen those type of plugs since
>>> Win98.
>>> Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not computer tech savvy at all as
>>> you
>>> know.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheri

>> Guess who besides now being an RN is a Computer Engineer by
>> degree! :-)
>>
>> There are all SORTS of different physical interface formats.
>> Stupid I know but there are. At least three different USB which
>> is probably what the "slotted flat plug ends" are. And I can ;t
>> remember what the round ones you describe are but they are an old
>> computer interface format.
>>
>> All you need are two small cheap physical adapters, USB to "round
>> pin type" on the back of your computer.
>>
>> And that is the nice thing about having computer interface
>> standards, we have so many to choose from!
>>
>> Now you know why I became an RN? Computers got too STUPID! And
>> your Best Buy Geek Squad tech will have what you need, and charge
>> you a $100 tech fee to do it FOR you!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> You got that 100% wrong.
>
> The "round pin type" connectors are for the sound devices -
> speakers, line-in, and microphone. Any computer with Win10 is not
> going to have PS2 connections (or DIN8), but it may have a round
> S-Video out connector. She's just not finding her USB connections -
> some of which are probably on the front of the computer, and not to
> be confused with the slighly wider and bevelled HDMI connections.
> She does not need any sort of adaptors at all with a new computer
> that came bundled with mouse and keyboard.

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 16:23:46 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 5:09:02 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

>Piggybacking onto your post that really has nothing to do with slotted flat
>plugs or round pin type. Pema, the cat, has once again chewed through a
>power cord for a laptop. Twice she has chewed through two Chromebook cords
>and this time it was through my Asus power cord. GRRRRRRRRR
>
>I've got one coming from eBay and when it arrives Monday or Tuesday I will
>take it with me to Home Depot. There I will purchase a package of refrig-
>erator water line tubing and split it down the middle. The new power cord
>will be inserted in the middle of this tubing to discourage further chewing.
>I had to do this with the second Chromebook cord and so far, so good.
>
>Ain't pets grand? :-/

The things we do... I swear sometimes my cat looks right at me while
she pushes my phone off the desk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Guess who besides now being an RN is a Computer Engineer by
>>> degree! :-)
>>>
>>> There are all SORTS of different physical interface formats.
>>> Stupid I know but there are. At least three different USB which
>>> is probably what the "slotted flat plug ends" are. And I can ;t
>>> remember what the round ones you describe are but they are an old
>>> computer interface format.
>>>
>>> All you need are two small cheap physical adapters, USB to "round
>>> pin type" on the back of your computer.
>>>
>>> And that is the nice thing about having computer interface
>>> standards, we have so many to choose from!
>>>
>>> Now you know why I became an RN? Computers got too STUPID! And
>>> your Best Buy Geek Squad tech will have what you need, and charge
>>> you a $100 tech fee to do it FOR you!
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>> You got that 100% wrong.
>>
>> The "round pin type" connectors are for the sound devices -
>> speakers, line-in, and microphone. Any computer with Win10 is not
>> going to have PS2 connections (or DIN8), but it may have a round
>> S-Video out connector. She's just not finding her USB connections -
>> some of which are probably on the front of the computer, and not to
>> be confused with the slighly wider and bevelled HDMI connections.
>> She does not need any sort of adaptors at all with a new computer
>> that came bundled with mouse and keyboard.

> Yep.

No, actually it has PS2 connections for mouse and keyboard colored purple
and aqua which says keyboard and mouse, clearly marked, but I did connect
them to USB and have it set up now, no need for Best Buy, everyone was very
helpful. Thanks much.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news

> >> You got that 100% wrong.
> >>
> >> The "round pin type" connectors are for the sound devices -
> >> speakers, line-in, and microphone. Any computer with Win10 is not
> >> going to have PS2 connections (or DIN8), but it may have a round
> >> S-Video out connector. She's just not finding her USB connections -
> >> some of which are probably on the front of the computer, and not to
> >> be confused with the slighly wider and bevelled HDMI connections.
> >> She does not need any sort of adaptors at all with a new computer
> >> that came bundled with mouse and keyboard.

> > Yep.

> No, actually it has PS2 connections for mouse and keyboard colored purple
> and aqua which says keyboard and mouse, clearly marked, but I did connect
> them to USB and have it set up now, no need for Best Buy, everyone was very
> helpful. Thanks much.
>
> Cheri

Very good! Amazing what ya can do with adapters, eh?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 6:55:37 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:

> One of our cats races me to my computer chair and thinks it's his if
> he gets there first.

If only that were her only misdemeanor.

She doesn't bother flat power cords, only the nice round type. She's not
above biting hunks off a fresh roll of toilet paper, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> No, actually it has PS2 connections for mouse and keyboard colored purple
> and aqua which says keyboard and mouse, clearly marked, but I did connect
> them to USB and have it set up now, no need for Best Buy, everyone was very
> helpful. Thanks much.
>
> Cheri

YAY!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> No, actually it has PS2 connections for mouse and keyboard colored purple
>> and aqua which says keyboard and mouse, clearly marked, but I did connect
>> them to USB and have it set up now, no need for Best Buy, everyone was
>> very
>> helpful. Thanks much.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> YAY!!

Hey, nobody is more surprised than me! I am going to use my Vista for now, I
don't see a newsreader with it, but I am going to like Win10, so easy to set
up email accounts etc.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Sounds like you are describing USB plug ins. Look on the front of the
> processor if there are no such slots on the back. Mine have them front and
> back. These days, processors should have a lot. Most things that plug in are
> USB.

i added a bunch of extra ones since i had empty
slots inside i didn't need for anything else.

this way, in the future, when existing slots stop
working i can use them instead.

at least that is the theory. it only cost a few $
each so worth the insurance for later and it cuts down
on wear and tear for the ports if you don't have to
keep unplugging one thing to plug in something else.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 17:32:31 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 6:55:37 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:
>>
>> One of our cats races me to my computer chair and thinks it's his if
>> he gets there first.
>>

>If only that were her only misdemeanor.
>
>She doesn't bother flat power cords, only the nice round type. She's not
>above biting hunks off a fresh roll of toilet paper, too.

Aren't you afraid she'll electrocute herself?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 17:31:02 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> No, actually it has PS2 connections for mouse and keyboard colored purple
>> and aqua which says keyboard and mouse, clearly marked, but I did connect
>> them to USB and have it set up now, no need for Best Buy, everyone was very
>> helpful. Thanks much.
>>
>> Cheri

>Very good! Amazing what ya can do with adapters, eh?

She didn't use any.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 8:02:01 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 17:31:02 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
> >>
> >> No, actually it has PS2 connections for mouse and keyboard colored purple
> >> and aqua which says keyboard and mouse, clearly marked, but I did connect
> >> them to USB and have it set up now, no need for Best Buy, everyone was very
> >> helpful. Thanks much.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> >Very good! Amazing what ya can do with adapters, eh?

> She didn't use any.

:-)

We should have let Best Buy charge her! "Here's how you work your new computer!"

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2018 8:51 PM, Cheri wrote:

> Hey, nobody is more surprised than me! I am going to use my Vista for
> now, I don't see a newsreader with it, but I am going to like Win10, so
> easy to set up email accounts etc.
>
> Cheri

For a newsreader, download Thunderbird.
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 21:55:19 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/16/2018 8:51 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> Hey, nobody is more surprised than me! I am going to use my Vista for
>> now, I don't see a newsreader with it, but I am going to like Win10, so
>> easy to set up email accounts etc.
>>
>> Cheri

>For a newsreader, download Thunderbird.
>https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

But don't use it for email as well then, because one day you'll make a
mistake and post your love letter in RFC.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2018 4:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
> I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and
> keyboard.

I gotta new computer (HP, W10). It also came with a decent mouse and a
really crappy keyboard. It was also a USB-based keyboard/mouse and a
little itty-bitty wifi USB plug-in for the wifi-based "remote" k/b and
mouse (both remote and battery powered).

I wanted to use my old M$ keyboard (ergo) and mouse, but only the k/b is
USB. So, I plugged both my old k/b and mouse into an "adapter" from an
older Linux box. I hadda change the mouse into a PS2 adapter, then I
went into a "Y" adapter that changes both into USB.

So, my old k/b and mouse are now both used. The k/b has 2 adapters, one
froom USB to PS2 and the second adapter is a "Y" adapter that goes from
a PS2 > USB

Online folks sed I'd need an "active" USB > PS2 adapter. I didn't.

If you don't get what I sed, wait fer the repair guy to arrive.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2018 6:51 PM, Cheri wrote:

I don't see a newsreader with it, but I am going to like Win10, so
> easy to set up email accounts etc.

Yes. My e-mail client (W10) works great, but I hadda install
Thunderbird fer newsgroups. This after I tried, then rejected, that
client Ophelia uses (Xananews?).

mb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Jes Me" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:08:30 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and
> > > keyboard. The
> > > computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin
> > > type, but the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the
> > > slotted flat plug ends. I have a tech coming from Best Buy on
> > > Tuesday to set it up for me and wonder what type if any
> > > adapters there are for this. I haven't seen those type of plugs
> > > since Win98. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not computer
> > > tech savvy at all as you know.

> > The round plugs are PS2 (old school).
> >
> > The flat ones are USB.
> > The computer SHOULD have USB ports you can use.
> >
> > There ARE adapters available, but you'd be better off using a USB
> > port.

> OK, thanks for that answer, it cleared up some things for me, the
> computer does have USB ports, but the silly video showed the round
> being highlighted. Again, thanks. I'm sure (hoping) the tech knows
> what to do.
>
> Cheri

The round one is a mini-DIN and probably has a spot at the back of the
machine to plug it in direct.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 9/16/2018 8:51 PM, Cheri wrote:
> >

> > Hey, nobody is more surprised than me! I am going to use my Vista
> > for now, I don't see a newsreader with it, but I am going to like
> > Win10, so easy to set up email accounts etc.
> >
> > Cheri

> For a newsreader, download Thunderbird.
> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

Not a recommended software for someone unsure at first of a mini-din vs
usb. Doesnt matter that you love it. xananews (freeware) more apt to
be her speed of setup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 9/16/2018 6:51 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
> I don't see a newsreader with it, but I am going to like Win10, so
> > easy to set up email accounts etc.

> Yes. My e-mail client (W10) works great, but I hadda install
> Thunderbird fer newsgroups. This after I tried, then rejected, that
> client Ophelia uses (Xananews?).
>
> mb

Opelia doenst use xananews.

Thunderbird is good stuff, but more complex to setup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 20:52:28 -0400, songbird wrote:

> i added a bunch of extra ones since i had empty
> slots inside i didn't need for anything else.
>
> this way, in the future, when existing slots stop
> working i can use them instead.

When one stops working, usually 3 or 7 others will also stop
working. The controllers usually handle 4 or 8 ports at a time.

> at least that is the theory. it only cost a few $
> each so worth the insurance for later and it cuts down
> on wear and tear for the ports if you don't have to
> keep unplugging one thing to plug in something else.

I have two ports that I use for thumb drives that see a lot of in &
out. To those I've attached small extension cords that the cords
get the wear & tear rather than the computer-mounted ports. Nothing
has ever worn out, though.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 16:41:05 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> Computers are dead easy to hook up. Most of your plug ins/ports should be
> color coded. If USB, then plug into any USB port.

You plug your mouse and keyboard into BLACK USB 2.x ports. You plug
your hard drives, USB network adapters, class 8+ thumb drives and SD
cards into BLUE USB 3.x ports to make them most efficient.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/16/2018 8:51 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> Hey, nobody is more surprised than me! I am going to use my Vista for
>> now, I don't see a newsreader with it, but I am going to like Win10, so
>> easy to set up email accounts etc.
>>
>> Cheri

> For a newsreader, download Thunderbird.
> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

I've heard good things about it, thanks. I will do that soon.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> On 9/16/2018 8:51 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> >

>> > Hey, nobody is more surprised than me! I am going to use my Vista
>> > for now, I don't see a newsreader with it, but I am going to like
>> > Win10, so easy to set up email accounts etc.
>> >
>> > Cheri

>> For a newsreader, download Thunderbird.
>> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

> Not a recommended software for someone unsure at first of a mini-din vs
> usb. Doesnt matter that you love it. xananews (freeware) more apt to
> be her speed of setup.

Thanks, yes...I do not know much about the workings of computers overall, I
really only know a lot about the things/programs I use. I will definitely
keep this in mind.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 7:52:06 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> > wrote in message
>

> Hey, nobody is more surprised than me! I am going to use my Vista for now, I
> don't see a newsreader with it, but I am going to like Win10, so easy to set
> up email accounts etc.
>
> Cheri

Have you transferred any of your files from Vista over to the new W-10 pc?
It's easy to do when you get ready to take the plunge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 7:03:12 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> No, actually it has PS2 connections for mouse and keyboard colored
>>> purple
>>> and aqua which says keyboard and mouse, clearly marked, but I did
>>> connect
>>> them to USB and have it set up now, no need for Best Buy, everyone was
>>> very
>>> helpful. Thanks much.
>>>
>>> Cheri

> Make sure they're plugged into black USB ports rather than blue USB
> ports. They'll both work for keyboard and mouse but you'll
> eventually probably need to swap them later.
>
> Nobody has made PS2 keyboards or mice for over 12 years so I didn't
> think anybody was still putting PS2 ports on back of computers when
> they've eliminated all other non-essentials (like parallel and
> serial ports). The advanced ASUS motherboard I bought 6 years ago
> doesn't have them. And I have 16 USB ports (only 12 physical unless
> I mount another cable)
>
> -sw

Thank you very much, will do. that is very useful information and I
appreciate it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 8:00:13 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 17:32:31 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >She doesn't bother flat power cords, only the nice round type. She's not
> >above biting hunks off a fresh roll of toilet paper, too.

> Aren't you afraid she'll electrocute herself?

She hasn't received a jolt yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 7:52:06 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>

>> Hey, nobody is more surprised than me! I am going to use my Vista for
>> now, I
>> don't see a newsreader with it, but I am going to like Win10, so easy to
>> set
>> up email accounts etc.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Have you transferred any of your files from Vista over to the new W-10 pc?
> It's easy to do when you get ready to take the plunge.

No, most certainly I have not. LOL I am Googling on Vista to find out how to
do things on Win10. I hope Vista doesn't fail before I get what I need down,
but there is always Win7 to hook back up now that I know how. I'm really
worn out with electronics right now, had the Directv installing the Genie a
couple of days ago, learning new remotes, having to reprogram everything,
I'm just tired...and an idiot when it comes to some of this stuff.

Cheri