Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default WAY OT Computer question

John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 1:13:43 PM UTC-5, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> John Kuthe > wrote:

>>> ROFL!!! I have TAUGHT Computers 101 type classes before!
>>>
>>> That was a Control Systems joke!
>>>
>>> EVIDENTLY YOU don't even KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!
>>>
>>> :-(
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>

>> Sure you have. LMAO. Apparently all you learned in your classes was jokes,
>> no real knowledge, which evidently YOU dont even know the difference.

> Stacks, queues, lists, sorting, algorithms, recursion, etc.
>
> Have you ever written a program in C which used recursion? I have.
> Assembler? Do you know what Microcode is and it's relevance to the
> differences between RISC and CICS microprocessors?
>
> John Kuthe...

Yes, yes, yes and yes. Oh, and I used to work at IBM, too. But on
mainframes, not email help desk such as yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 00:50:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 15:28:09 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> >> Yep. About email, I KNOW what I am talking about!!
> >>
> >> I also know that on the Internet everything is communicated via
> >> what's called a Connectionless Protocol. Know what a
> >> connectionless protocol is? It's how EVERYTHING across the
> >> Internet is communicated!

> > That is 100% incorrect. In email, for example, the SMTP proptocol
> > is used. While the underlying connection is connectionless, it
> > relies on the SMTP protocol, which relies on established connections
> > and conversations. As do practically all other common networking
> > protocols except TCP/IP itself.

> What, John. You're not going to correct me on this? Was I wrong,
> or is this all over your head?
>
> -sw

Stop Steve. This may be serious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 21:09:45 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 11:03:41 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> >
>> > My email and contacts are available on any machine I happen to be
>> > using, including my phone. It's quite a beautiful thing. To write
>> > emails, I'll use my PC or Chromebooks.

>> No, it's a sign that you are TRAPPED IN CULTURE!! I am NOT! YOU are
>> firmly trapped in YOUR Culture, I am NOT! I can travel and drift into
>> and out of different Cultures at my WILL!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>John, are ypu ok? Serious question as I am a human being getting
>worried about you. You were all happy getting te house ready and now
>you are all about cussing and frightened CAPS.

I agree. It seems he was doing better mentally in the days he was
bickering with Bryan here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 17:51:52 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 7:44:06 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
>
>> Grin true. BTW, I think John was reaching to explain the TCP/IP and
>> hit on the IP (connectionless) but not what I recall was the TCP
>> encapsulaton. Humm, packet layer? Doesn't matter if I don't recall
>> the details of that. It was not anything needed in a daily line of my
>> work, nor that of a person running an email server. A designer of the
>> software for an email server, yes they need to know such.

> Transfer Control Protocol!!!
>
> Jeez, do I have to SPOON FEED you EVERYTHING??!!

Oh, great - we got two of them feeding each other.

And "TCP" is TRANSMISSION (not transfer) Control Protocol, and
always has been. You're about batting about .002, John.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 11:08:13 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 17:51:52 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:
>
> > On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 7:44:06 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:
> >
> >> Grin true. BTW, I think John was reaching to explain the TCP/IP and
> >> hit on the IP (connectionless) but not what I recall was the TCP
> >> encapsulaton. Humm, packet layer? Doesn't matter if I don't recall
> >> the details of that. It was not anything needed in a daily line of my
> >> work, nor that of a person running an email server. A designer of the
> >> software for an email server, yes they need to know such.

> > Transfer Control Protocol!!!
> >
> > Jeez, do I have to SPOON FEED you EVERYTHING??!!

> Oh, great - we got two of them feeding each other.
>
> And "TCP" is TRANSMISSION (not transfer) Control Protocol, and
> always has been. You're about batting about .002, John.
>
> -sw

OK, and? I knew what it was!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 16:03:59 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:54:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> Because I can get into my Office 365 but I just can't get the e-mail program
>> to behave. It WILL let into my e-mail accounts but only if I sign into each
>> one, one at a time.

> Because it's ONLY ON ONE COMPUTER, and every time you reconfigure
> your email program ON THAT ONE COMPUTER to connect with another
> email system on another computer ALL YOU SEE is what's on EACH
> EMAIL SYSTEM you configure your ONE EMAIL CLIENT PROGRAM ON ONE
> COMPUTER FOR!

All email clients for the last 15 years can handle multiple email
accounts on multiple email servers.

> Are you daft? Obtuse? Patently STUPID?

You need to shut the **** up, John. At least until you start to
meltdown, then you can start posting again.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 14:30:11 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2 wrote:

> Anyone buying a laptop should get a mouse-less (is that touchpad on the front of the
> Keyboard called a touchpad?) laptop. It took me very little time to get used to it, and
> then there is no mouse to mess with.

God, I hate those things. I would just disable the damned thing,
making a huge waste of space on the front of the laptop.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:44:31 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:01:29 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I can't say what's happening with your system. I can edit and add to my contact list on anything that I'm using and it gets synchronized across all the platforms that I use. It's pretty much how computing is supposed to be. All that shit that happened since the late 80's was just a waste of time.
>>

>Well, my power cord for my W-10 laptop came today so I'm back on it and the
>old Chromebook has been relegated back to the craft room.

Happiness

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 11:18:34 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 16:03:59 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:
>
> > On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:54:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> >> Because I can get into my Office 365 but I just can't get the e-mail program
> >> to behave. It WILL let into my e-mail accounts but only if I sign into each
> >> one, one at a time.

> > Because it's ONLY ON ONE COMPUTER, and every time you reconfigure
> > your email program ON THAT ONE COMPUTER to connect with another
> > email system on another computer ALL YOU SEE is what's on EACH
> > EMAIL SYSTEM you configure your ONE EMAIL CLIENT PROGRAM ON ONE
> > COMPUTER FOR!

> All email clients for the last 15 years can handle multiple email
> accounts on multiple email servers.
>
> > Are you daft? Obtuse? Patently STUPID?

> You need to shut the **** up, John. At least until you start to
> meltdown, then you can start posting again.
>
> -sw

"All" email clients? ROFL!!!!

No ONE can possibly KNOW what ALL email client programs do!

Dipshit! Yep, patently STUPID!! No wonder your chosen Sock Puppet Moniker sounds like a pustule POPPING! SQERRTZZZ! "Ewwww!"

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 3:04:21 AM UTC-10,
wrote:

> Yes, all my contacts are on this old Chromebook as well, but getting
> e-mail
> synced on this without having to sign in and out of each e-mail address is
> what is hair pulling. New power cord for the W-10 laptop is arriving
> today.

I can't say what's happening with your system. I can edit and add to my
contact list on anything that I'm using and it gets synchronized across all
the platforms that I use. It's pretty much how computing is supposed to be.
All that shit that happened since the late 80's was just a waste of time.

==

I bought a Win10 machine and hated it. D took it and is not having any
problems at all with it. I have gone back to my old one and I am happy
enough with it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 8:47:50 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 3:04:21 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
>
> > Yes, all my contacts are on this old Chromebook as well, but getting
> > e-mail
> > synced on this without having to sign in and out of each e-mail address is
> > what is hair pulling. New power cord for the W-10 laptop is arriving
> > today.

> I can't say what's happening with your system. I can edit and add to my
> contact list on anything that I'm using and it gets synchronized across all
> the platforms that I use. It's pretty much how computing is supposed to be.
> All that shit that happened since the late 80's was just a waste of time.
>
> ==
>
> I bought a Win10 machine and hated it. D took it and is not having any
> problems at all with it. I have gone back to my old one and I am happy
> enough with it

Microsoft Windows was a stolen idea from Steve Job's stolen idea from Xerox of a windowing control interface developed by Xerox for their photocopying machines! The first versions of Microsoft Windows was a DOS program! You'd have to type "win" at the C: prompt, unless you set up a simple boot script of commands, which many did. And it took Bill Gates a LONG tome to ADMIT Windows was just a "shell script" running on DOS! Because he thinks we are stupid!

And at first Windows was a pretty good GUI shell script! Then it fell victim to the "kitchen sink syndrome"!! And that was just between Win 3.1 and Win NT! Then Win XP made it even bloatier but at least XP was a little more stable than all the rest since Win 3.1!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2018 10:05 AM, John Kuthe wrote:

> And at first Windows was a pretty good GUI shell script! Then it fell victim to the "kitchen sink syndrome"!! And that was just between Win 3.1 and Win NT! Then Win XP made it even bloatier but at least XP was a little more stable than all the rest since Win 3.1!
>
> John Kuthe...

Most of us never saw the bloat with XP but is was far better than its
predecessors. When I left work we still had an XP machine used for
monitoring a process. As long as the hard rive holds out it will
probably work for another decade or two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 8:47:50 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 3:04:21 AM UTC-10,
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, all my contacts are on this old Chromebook as well, but getting
>>> e-mail
>>> synced on this without having to sign in and out of each e-mail address is
>>> what is hair pulling. New power cord for the W-10 laptop is arriving
>>> today.

>> I can't say what's happening with your system. I can edit and add to my
>> contact list on anything that I'm using and it gets synchronized across all
>> the platforms that I use. It's pretty much how computing is supposed to be.
>> All that shit that happened since the late 80's was just a waste of time.
>>
>> =>
>> I bought a Win10 machine and hated it. D took it and is not having any
>> problems at all with it. I have gone back to my old one and I am happy
>> enough with it

> Microsoft Windows was a stolen idea from Steve Job's stolen idea from
> Xerox of a windowing control interface developed by Xerox for their
> photocopying machines! The first versions of Microsoft Windows was a DOS
> program! You'd have to type "win" at the C: prompt, unless you set up a
> simple boot script of commands, which many did. And it took Bill Gates a
> LONG tome to ADMIT Windows was just a "shell script" running on DOS!
> Because he thinks we are stupid!
>
> And at first Windows was a pretty good GUI shell script! Then it fell
> victim to the "kitchen sink syndrome"!! And that was just between Win 3.1
> and Win NT! Then Win XP made it even bloatier but at least XP was a
> little more stable than all the rest since Win 3.1!
>
> John Kuthe...

What version was that, just between 3.1 and NT?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 10:50:58 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/19/2018 10:05 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>
> > And at first Windows was a pretty good GUI shell script! Then it fell victim to the "kitchen sink syndrome"!! And that was just between Win 3.1 and Win NT! Then Win XP made it even bloatier but at least XP was a little more stable than all the rest since Win 3.1!
> >
> > John Kuthe...
> >

> Most of us never saw the bloat with XP but is was far better than its
> predecessors. When I left work we still had an XP machine used for
> monitoring a process. As long as the hard rive holds out it will
> probably work for another decade or two.

I've got an XP machine as one of the 6 computers in my office. I
build some of our software on it daily. I've got another one that's
powered down. It was upgraded to XP from Windows 2000.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-19 8:58 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 10:50:58 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/19/2018 10:05 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>>> And at first Windows was a pretty good GUI shell script! Then it fell victim to the "kitchen sink syndrome"!! And that was just between Win 3.1 and Win NT! Then Win XP made it even bloatier but at least XP was a little more stable than all the rest since Win 3.1!
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>

>> Most of us never saw the bloat with XP but is was far better than its
>> predecessors. When I left work we still had an XP machine used for
>> monitoring a process. As long as the hard rive holds out it will
>> probably work for another decade or two.

> I've got an XP machine as one of the 6 computers in my office. I
> build some of our software on it daily. I've got another one that's
> powered down. It was upgraded to XP from Windows 2000.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Techies warned me not to connect to the house wi-fi when using my old XP
running laptop as it could provide a back door to my W10 desktop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 10:50:58 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/19/2018 10:05 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>>> And at first Windows was a pretty good GUI shell script! Then it fell
>>> victim to the "kitchen sink syndrome"!! And that was just between Win
>>> 3.1 and Win NT! Then Win XP made it even bloatier but at least XP was a
>>> little more stable than all the rest since Win 3.1!
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...
>>>

>> Most of us never saw the bloat with XP but is was far better than its
>> predecessors. When I left work we still had an XP machine used for
>> monitoring a process. As long as the hard rive holds out it will
>> probably work for another decade or two.

> I've got an XP machine as one of the 6 computers in my office. I
> build some of our software on it daily. I've got another one that's
> powered down. It was upgraded to XP from Windows 2000.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Anyone want an old 286 with Win 3.0 on it?? Ive got one taking up space
in my garage.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-19 9:15 AM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> Most of us never saw the bloat with XP but is was far better than its
>>> predecessors. When I left work we still had an XP machine used for
>>> monitoring a process. As long as the hard rive holds out it will
>>> probably work for another decade or two.

>> I've got an XP machine as one of the 6 computers in my office. I
>> build some of our software on it daily. I've got another one that's
>> powered down. It was upgraded to XP from Windows 2000.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> Anyone want an old 286 with Win 3.0 on it?? Ive got one taking up space
> in my garage.

I have a 486 with a 5.25" floppy drive stored in the basement. It proved
to be useful when a client asked me for some data from a project that I
did back in the late 80s. I had to save the data to a 3.5" disc to burn
a CD on a newer model and then download it to my W10 desktop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message

And at first Windows was a pretty good GUI shell script! Then it fell victim
to the "kitchen sink syndrome"!! And that was just between Win 3.1 and Win
NT! Then Win XP made it even bloatier but at least XP was a little more
stable than all the rest since Win 3.1!

John Kuthe...

=====

I Thought Win98 was the best so far.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> I bought a Win10 machine and hated it. D took it and is not having any
> problems at all with it. I have gone back to my old one and I am happy
> enough with it

I really would like to keep Vista but it's really not supported at all. I
like Win7 OK, but dh was using it before he bought a Chromebook, so I never
really learned it very well. Actually from what I've seen, I am going to do
OK with Win10.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham > wrote:
> On 2018-09-19 9:15 AM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> I've got an XP machine as one of the 6 computers in my office. I
>>> build some of our software on it daily. I've got another one that's
>>> powered down. It was upgraded to XP from Windows 2000.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Anyone want an old 286 with Win 3.0 on it?? Ive got one taking up space
>> in my garage.
>>

> I have a 486 with a 5.25" floppy drive stored in the basement. It proved
> to be useful when a client asked me for some data from a project that I
> did back in the late 80s. I had to save the data to a 3.5" disc to burn
> a CD on a newer model and then download it to my W10 desktop.

When I was packing up old computer stuff a few weeks ago for our move, I
ran across a storage case filled with old 3.5 discs. I asked my 10 year
old if she knew what they were, and her response was, is it an old Atari
cartridge? LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
newsntu53$td2$1@dont-

> When I was packing up old computer stuff a few weeks ago for our move, I
> ran across a storage case filled with old 3.5 discs. I asked my 10 year
> old if she knew what they were, and her response was, is it an old
> Atari
> cartridge? LOL

LOL, I still have my old Atari with many cartridges. Great games, wish I
could still play some of them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri > wrote:
> "Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
> newsntu53$td2$1@dont-
>
>> When I was packing up old computer stuff a few weeks ago for our move, I
>> ran across a storage case filled with old 3.5 discs. I asked my 10 year
>> old if she knew what they were, and her response was, is it an old
>> Atari
>> cartridge? LOL

> LOL, I still have my old Atari with many cartridges. Great games, wish I
> could still play some of them.
>
> Cheri

Me too! And the Intellivision I got from Santa 1980. Some of those old
game cartridges are worth a few bucks. I used to collect them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 09:36:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
>> I bought a Win10 machine and hated it. D took it and is not having any
>> problems at all with it. I have gone back to my old one and I am happy
>> enough with it

>I really would like to keep Vista but it's really not supported at all. I
>like Win7 OK, but dh was using it before he bought a Chromebook, so I never
>really learned it very well. Actually from what I've seen, I am going to do
>OK with Win10.
>
>Cheri

I thought I couldn't part with XP but do now use Win10 okay. I have a
lot of the stuff switched off which it doesn't like but I really don't
care!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 16:40:03 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>graham > wrote:

>>> Anyone want an old 286 with Win 3.0 on it?? Ive got one taking up space
>>> in my garage.
>>>

>> I have a 486 with a 5.25" floppy drive stored in the basement. It proved
>> to be useful when a client asked me for some data from a project that I
>> did back in the late 80s. I had to save the data to a 3.5" disc to burn
>> a CD on a newer model and then download it to my W10 desktop.
>>

>When I was packing up old computer stuff a few weeks ago for our move, I
>ran across a storage case filled with old 3.5 discs. I asked my 10 year
>old if she knew what they were, and her response was, is it an old Atari
>cartridge? LOL

I have some too and somebody did say you can get a box that connects
via usb to the computer and view them again, kind of like to, can't
imagine what all was saved on them now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> Microsoft Windows was a stolen idea from Steve Job's stolen idea from Xerox of a windowing control interface developed by Xerox for their photocopying machines! The first versions of Microsoft Windows was a DOS program! You'd have to type "win" at the C: prompt, unless you set up a simple boot script of commands, which many did. And it took Bill Gates a LONG tome to ADMIT Windows was just a "shell script" running on DOS! Because he thinks we are stupid!

Anyone interested in a basic history of the personal computer
should check out this movie:

Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley (C-1999)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley

It's fiction based on fact (like James Michener books) and
it's interesting to watch. I'd love to see it in my tv guide
again as it's been a long time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 16:40:03 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
>> graham > wrote:

>>> I have a 486 with a 5.25" floppy drive stored in the basement. It proved
>>> to be useful when a client asked me for some data from a project that I
>>> did back in the late 80s. I had to save the data to a 3.5" disc to burn
>>> a CD on a newer model and then download it to my W10 desktop.
>>>

>> When I was packing up old computer stuff a few weeks ago for our move, I
>> ran across a storage case filled with old 3.5” discs. I asked my 10 year
>> old if she knew what they were, and her response was, “is it an old Atari
>> cartridge?” LOL
>>

> I have some too and somebody did say you can get a box that connects
> via usb to the computer and view them again, kind of like to, can't
> imagine what all was saved on them now.

You can! Amazon has them for under $20. Search for 3.5 floppy drive and
they should pop right up. Newegg.com is another good place to find things
like this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 1:53:52 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> >
> > Microsoft Windows was a stolen idea from Steve Job's stolen idea from Xerox of a windowing control interface developed by Xerox for their photocopying machines! The first versions of Microsoft Windows was a DOS program! You'd have to type "win" at the C: prompt, unless you set up a simple boot script of commands, which many did. And it took Bill Gates a LONG tome to ADMIT Windows was just a "shell script" running on DOS! Because he thinks we are stupid!

> Anyone interested in a basic history of the personal computer
> should check out this movie:
>
> Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley (C-1999)
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley
>
> It's fiction based on fact (like James Michener books) and
> it's interesting to watch. I'd love to see it in my tv guide
> again as it's been a long time.

Yep, it's a DocuDrama! True story! Tells the story of Bill Gates and Microsoft and Steve Jobs and Apple, very well!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 9:10:10 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> You can! Amazon has them for under $20. Search for 3.5 floppy drive and
> they should pop right up. Newegg.com is another good place to find things
> like this.

That's the great thing about assembling computers. You have so many choices available to you. You could spend a little or a lot. I used to spend very little. It would be choices between an $18 DVD burner or one for $20, or a power supply for $29 or a $65 one. Computer components were pretty much commodity items. The worst part was having to fork over $120 for a Windows OS. Hopefully, I won't ever have to assemble a computer again. Heck, I'll just get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-CHROMEBO.../dp/B071N9QCZ3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 1:53:52 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>>>
>>> Microsoft Windows was a stolen idea from Steve Job's stolen idea from
>>> Xerox of a windowing control interface developed by Xerox for their
>>> photocopying machines! The first versions of Microsoft Windows was a
>>> DOS program! You'd have to type "win" at the C: prompt, unless you set
>>> up a simple boot script of commands, which many did. And it took Bill
>>> Gates a LONG tome to ADMIT Windows was just a "shell script" running on
>>> DOS! Because he thinks we are stupid!

>> Anyone interested in a basic history of the personal computer
>> should check out this movie:
>>
>> Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley (C-1999)
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley
>>
>> It's fiction based on fact (like James Michener books) and
>> it's interesting to watch. I'd love to see it in my tv guide
>> again as it's been a long time.

> Yep, it's a DocuDrama! True story! Tells the story of Bill Gates and
> Microsoft and Steve Jobs and Apple, very well!
>
> John Kuthe...

Who needs to watch a docudrama when we have you? You know everything about
computers, and you bring lots of drama.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 9:10:10 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>>
>> You can! Amazon has them for under $20. Search for 3.5 floppy drive and
>> they should pop right up. Newegg.com is another good place to find things
>> like this.

> That's the great thing about assembling computers. You have so many
> choices available to you. You could spend a little or a lot. I used to
> spend very little. It would be choices between an $18 DVD burner or one
> for $20, or a power supply for $29 or a $65 one. Computer components were
> pretty much commodity items. The worst part was having to fork over $120
> for a Windows OS. Hopefully, I won't ever have to assemble a computer
> again. Heck, I'll just get something like this:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-CHROMEBO.../dp/B071N9QCZ3

Ive assembled many a computer in my day (both personally and
professionally), but I dont think Ill ever build another again. I like
the freedom and free desk space a laptop provides.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 9:55:03 AM UTC-10, Jinx the Minx wrote:

> Ive assembled many a computer in my day (both personally and
> professionally), but I dont think Ill ever build another again. I like
> the freedom and free desk space a laptop provides.

I have to agree with your choices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:10:06 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx

>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 16:40:03 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:

>>> When I was packing up old computer stuff a few weeks ago for our move, I
>>> ran across a storage case filled with old 3.5? discs. I asked my 10 year
>>> old if she knew what they were, and her response was, ?is it an old Atari
>>> cartridge?? LOL
>>>

>> I have some too and somebody did say you can get a box that connects
>> via usb to the computer and view them again, kind of like to, can't
>> imagine what all was saved on them now.
>>

>You can! Amazon has them for under $20. Search for 3.5 floppy drive and
>they should pop right up. Newegg.com is another good place to find things
>like this.

Thanks, will do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:54:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>dsi1 > wrote:
>>
>> That's the great thing about assembling computers. You have so many
>> choices available to you. You could spend a little or a lot. I used to
>> spend very little. It would be choices between an $18 DVD burner or one
>> for $20, or a power supply for $29 or a $65 one. Computer components were
>> pretty much commodity items. The worst part was having to fork over $120
>> for a Windows OS. Hopefully, I won't ever have to assemble a computer
>> again. Heck, I'll just get something like this:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-CHROMEBO.../dp/B071N9QCZ3
>>

>Ive assembled many a computer in my day (both personally and
>professionally), but I dont think Ill ever build another again. I like
>the freedom and free desk space a laptop provides.

I've had a laptop once, my previous computer. As I already feared, it
always overheated during intense stuff like movie ripping. After a
year it died. By that time the chain where I bought it had gone
bankrupt. It'll be a while before I try a laptop again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:47:02 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> wrote:

>John Kuthe > wrote:

>>> Anyone interested in a basic history of the personal computer
>>> should check out this movie:
>>>
>>> Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley (C-1999)
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley
>>>
>>> It's fiction based on fact (like James Michener books) and
>>> it's interesting to watch. I'd love to see it in my tv guide
>>> again as it's been a long time.

>> Yep, it's a DocuDrama! True story! Tells the story of Bill Gates and
>> Microsoft and Steve Jobs and Apple, very well!
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

>Who needs to watch a docudrama when we have you? You know everything about
>computers, and you bring lots of drama.

- well caps anyway
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" wrote in message

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 8:47:50 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 3:04:21 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
>
> > Yes, all my contacts are on this old Chromebook as well, but getting
> > e-mail
> > synced on this without having to sign in and out of each e-mail address
> > is
> > what is hair pulling. New power cord for the W-10 laptop is arriving
> > today.

> I can't say what's happening with your system. I can edit and add to my
> contact list on anything that I'm using and it gets synchronized across
> all
> the platforms that I use. It's pretty much how computing is supposed to
> be.
> All that shit that happened since the late 80's was just a waste of time.
>
> ==
>
> I bought a Win10 machine and hated it. D took it and is not having any
> problems at all with it. I have gone back to my old one and I am happy
> enough with it

Microsoft Windows was a stolen idea from Steve Job's stolen idea from Xerox
of a windowing control interface developed by Xerox for their photocopying
machines! The first versions of Microsoft Windows was a DOS program! You'd
have to type "win" at the C: prompt, unless you set up a simple boot script
of commands, which many did. And it took Bill Gates a LONG tome to ADMIT
Windows was just a "shell script" running on DOS! Because he thinks we are
stupid!

===

The first computers I had were DOS! My goodness, that takes me back a few
years) I have been through a few different ones since then

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 3:15:56 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:54:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
> > wrote:
>
> >I like
> >the freedom and free desk space a laptop provides.

Me, too!

> I've had a laptop once, my previous computer. As I already feared, it
> always overheated during intense stuff like movie ripping. After a
> year it died. By that time the chain where I bought it had gone
> bankrupt. It'll be a while before I try a laptop again.

Were the exhaust vents to dissipate the heat on the bottom of that laptop?
If so, you either needed one of laptop chillers or it needed to be propped
up on something like those rubber doorstops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-09-19 12:14 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-09-19 9:15 AM, Jinx the Minx wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

>>> I've got an XP machine as one of the 6 computers in my office.* I
>>> build some of our software on it daily.* I've got another one that's
>>> powered down.* It was upgraded to XP from Windows 2000.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Anyone want an old 286 with Win 3.0 on it??* Ive got one taking up space
>> in my garage.
>>

> I have a 486 with a 5.25" floppy drive stored in the basement. It proved
> to be useful when a client asked me for some data from a project that I
> did back in the late 80s. I had to save the data to a 3.5" disc to burn
> a CD on a newer model and then download it to my W10 desktop.

I am surprised that the files were still intact. Magnetic media is
fragile after a few years. It is a bit ironic that we are the age of
information, but that our reliance on magnetic memory and other fragile
media, and computer printed documents, that most of our stored data will
disappear faster than the information from any previous age. The 21st
century may be more of a mystery than Stonehenge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 14:17:39 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 3:15:56 PM UTC-5, Druce wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 19:54:59 -0000 (UTC), Jinx the Minx
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I like
>> >the freedom and free desk space a laptop provides.

>Me, too!
>>
>> I've had a laptop once, my previous computer. As I already feared, it
>> always overheated during intense stuff like movie ripping. After a
>> year it died. By that time the chain where I bought it had gone
>> bankrupt. It'll be a while before I try a laptop again.
>>

>Were the exhaust vents to dissipate the heat on the bottom of that laptop?
>If so, you either needed one of laptop chillers or it needed to be propped
>up on something like those rubber doorstops.

I believe they were at the side.