Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default WAY OT Computer question

wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 08:43:53 +1000, Druce >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 17:42:55 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> You got that 100% wrong.
>>>
>>> The "round pin type" connectors are for the sound devices -
>>> speakers, line-in, and microphone. Any computer with Win10 is not
>>> going to have PS2 connections (or DIN8), but it may have a round
>>> S-Video out connector. She's just not finding her USB connections -
>>> some of which are probably on the front of the computer, and not to
>>> be confused with the slighly wider and bevelled HDMI connections.
>>> She does not need any sort of adaptors at all with a new computer
>>> that came bundled with mouse and keyboard.

>> This is the correct answer and you go to the next round.

> Actually the Correct answer is to store that mouse and keyboard in a
> closet and buy a wireless mouse and keyboard.

And get an RO water filter while you're at it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 11:30:28 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe

wrote:

>> > Oooooh, well that explains a lot.
>> >
>> > Right now I'm using this 5 or 6 year old Chromebook and for the life of me
>> > I cannot get the e-mail synced like it is on the Winders 10.
>> >

>> I'm used to using Outlook for e-mailing and have it set as default.
>> However, when I try and forward a URL/news item or send a photo directly
>> from a file, it goes to the W10 e-mail program. Bloody nuisance.

>"Outlook" is an email CLIENT PROGRAM!!! It NEEDS to be connected to an online email system! I know, I worked for IBM as an email admin on a Microsoft Exchange/Outlook inhouse email system for a Military Industrial Complex subcontractor, MDC was bought by Boeing and I lost my JOB with IBM for them!
>
>**** 'em though! Now I'm a RN and I actually help people!
>
>John Kuthe...

You're so ****ing dumb though - I use Outlook all the time for email,
the Outlook that comes with higher priced Office suites.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 1:46:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> You're so ****ing dumb though - I use Outlook all the time for email,
> the Outlook that comes with higher priced Office suites.

No I am NOT!! If YOU are using the Microsoft Outlook PROGRAM on a device that Outlook PROGRAM is connected to some email service NOT on your PC!

I would bet MONEY on it!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message ...

On 9/17/2018 7:58 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> ==
>
> Since when did I use Xananews???

Hmmmm.... kinda looks like Xananews, what with that double-hyphen jes
before yer reply. But, I see it's not:

I know about "Xananews" cuz I used it. Didn't know "Windows Live Mail"
looked the same.

nb

==

Heh, neither did I! We learn something new every day, if we are lucky)

What my version does not do is show the chevrons so I put that before my
reply to show where one ends and my response begins ... see above)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 11:58:09 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 1:46:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> You're so ****ing dumb though - I use Outlook all the time for email,
>> the Outlook that comes with higher priced Office suites.

>No I am NOT!! If YOU are using the Microsoft Outlook PROGRAM on a device that Outlook PROGRAM is connected to some email service NOT on your PC!
>
>I would bet MONEY on it!
>
>John Kuthe...

You would soon be poor! Stop using caps, makes you look an ass!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 11:58:09 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:

> On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 1:46:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>> You're so ****ing dumb though - I use Outlook all the time for email,
>> the Outlook that comes with higher priced Office suites.

> No I am NOT!! If YOU are using the Microsoft Outlook PROGRAM on a
> device that Outlook PROGRAM is connected to some email service
> NOT on your PC!

Wow. You get dumber and dumber every time you speak, John. You
don't have a clue how any of that works.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 07:38:50 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 9:59:07 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:15:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"Jes Me" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >OK, thanks for that answer, it cleared up some things for me, the computer
>> >does have USB ports, but the silly video showed the round being highlighted.
>> >Again, thanks. I'm sure (hoping) the tech knows what to do.
>> >
>> >Cheri

>> I think a wireless mouse is much more user friendly... as is a
>> wireless keyboard.

>I have a wireless mouse at home and wired mice at work. I can't
>tell any difference among them.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

You don't find the wires annoying, you must be comatose.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2018 2:04 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> Wow. You get dumber and dumber every time you speak....

That may be true, but he is correct:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2018 2:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> Wow. You mean you have to be online to send email to somebody else?
> Who knew?

To write and "send", yes. To receive? No.

You can "send" an email while not on yer computer? Neat trick.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anyone buying a laptop should get a mouse-less (is that touchpad on the front of the
Keyboard called a touchpad?) laptop. It took me very little time to get used to it, and
then there is no mouse to mess with.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Oooooh, well that explains a lot.
>>>
>>> Right now I'm using this 5 or 6 year old Chromebook and for the
>>> life of me I cannot get the e-mail synced like it is on the
>>> Winders 10.
>>>

>> I'm used to using Outlook for e-mailing and have it set as
>> default. However, when I try and forward a URL/news item or send a
>> photo directly from a file, it goes to the W10 e-mail program.
>> Bloody nuisance.
>>

> Do you have Microsoft Office installed? It includes the full version
> of Outlook, not Outlook Express, which was previously standard with
> earlier vversioins of Windows.

Yes, that is what I use. However, despite making it the default, I have
to copy and paste a URL rather than just forward it as the Windows 10
e-mail app takes over.
Others have complained online but there doesn't appear to be a fix. I'll
just have to get used to the W10 option.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 3:42:07 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> You don't find the wires annoying, you must be comatose.

Wires are ROCK SOLID connections! If they are connected/plugged in!

You must find your wireless signals getting hacked or failing sporadically!

Signals drop out much? ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 3:43:29 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 9/17/2018 2:04 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Wow. You get dumber and dumber every time you speak....

> That may be true, but he is correct:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email
>
> nb

Yep. About email, I KNOW what I am talking about!!

I also know that on the Internet everything is communicated via what's called a Connectionless Protocol. Know what a connectionless protocol is? It's how EVERYTHING across the Internet is communicated!

Imagine you wanted to mail a book to someone. So rather than mail the whole book you tear out each page, stuff it in an envelope (packet), address it to the recipient, and them Snailmail them all! You don't care exactly about how each envelope gets there (what route), just as long as it gets there! Then once the recipient has all the enveloped, they open them, reassemble the book and there ya go!

You wanna challenge me NOW on my Computer and Internet knowledge?

**** you! I know more than you will EVER KNOW!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 07:38:50 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 9:59:07 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>>> I think a wireless mouse is much more user friendly... as is a
>>> wireless keyboard.

>> I have a wireless mouse at home and wired mice at work. I can't
>> tell any difference among them.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> You don't find the wires annoying, you must be comatose.

Yeah Popeye. An I bet she don't even have a basement.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 4:07:37 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Do you have Microsoft Office installed? It includes the full version
> of Outlook, not Outlook Express, which was previously standard with
> earlier vversioins of Windows.

I have Office 365 installed on my W-10 laptop and also on this rinky dink
Chromebook. But no matter what I try I *cannot* get all of my e-mail add-
resses to appear on the side bar like on my laptop. I can access those
e-mail addresses on this Chromebook but only if I sign out of the one I'm presently using and then sign into the one I'd like to use.

I go to the section that says "Sync other e-mail accounts" fill the user-
name, password, servers, etc. and ......... nothing. It's just like I
haven't completed any of the information it has asked for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 4:30:14 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

> Anyone buying a laptop should get a mouse-less (is that touchpad on the front of the
> Keyboard called a touchpad?) laptop. It took me very little time to get used to it, and
> then there is no mouse to mess with.

I think all laptops come with the touchpad now, both of mine did and that
was one of the first things I disabled. I H*A*T*E that damn finger skating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:39:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> I have Office 365 installed on my W-10 laptop and also on this rinky dink
> Chromebook. But no matter what I try I *cannot* get all of my e-mail add-
> resses to appear on the side bar like on my laptop.

That's because they are NOT ON THIS COMPUTER! Nor are they communicated TO this computer!

> I can access those
> e-mail addresses on this Chromebook but only if I sign out of the one I'm presently using and then sign into the one I'd like to use.

Right!! Because you are USING DIFFERENT COMPUTERS!

> I go to the section that says "Sync other e-mail accounts" fill the user-
> name, password, servers, etc. and ......... nothing. It's just like I
> haven't completed any of the information it has asked for.

OMG you me ONE Dialog Box in ONE Application on ONE computer does not know anything about what's on ANOTHER computer? How WOULD IT?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:18:59 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:

> On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 3:42:07 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> > You don't find the wires annoying, you must be comatose.

> Wires are ROCK SOLID connections! If they are connected/plugged in!
>
> You must find your wireless signals getting hacked or failing sporadically!
>
> Signals drop out much? ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

I can't speak for Sheldon, but I've never, ever, ever, not once had my
wireless signal getting hacked or failing sporadically. Nope, n-o-t a
s-i-n-g-l-e time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 12:39:38 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> I have Office 365 installed on my W-10 laptop and also on this rinky dink
> Chromebook. But no matter what I try I *cannot* get all of my e-mail add-
> resses to appear on the side bar like on my laptop. I can access those
> e-mail addresses on this Chromebook but only if I sign out of the one I'm presently using and then sign into the one I'd like to use.
>
> I go to the section that says "Sync other e-mail accounts" fill the user-
> name, password, servers, etc. and ......... nothing. It's just like I
> haven't completed any of the information it has asked for.

I have my contacts on my phone, Chromebooks, even my Windows computers. It's a heck of a thing. I don't have to worry about a thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:46:09 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:

> On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:39:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> > I have Office 365 installed on my W-10 laptop and also on this rinky dink
> > Chromebook. But no matter what I try I *cannot* get all of my e-mail add-
> > resses to appear on the side bar like on my laptop.

> That's because they are NOT ON THIS COMPUTER! Nor are they communicated TO this computer!

Oh really? Amazing that the Office 365 on my computer that is NOW on this
laptop will let me access my files.

> > I can access those
> > e-mail addresses on this Chromebook but only if I sign out of the one I'm presently using and then sign into the one I'd like to use.

> Right!! Because you are USING DIFFERENT COMPUTERS!

Well, then why is Office 365 on this Chromebook is letting me access my files
that are originally on my laptop?? Mail, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, OneNote
are accessible from this Chromebook.

> > I go to the section that says "Sync other e-mail accounts" fill the user-
> > name, password, servers, etc. and ......... nothing. It's just like I
> > haven't completed any of the information it has asked for.

> OMG you me ONE Dialog Box in ONE Application on ONE computer does not know anything about what's on ANOTHER computer? How WOULD IT?
>
> John Kuthe...

Because I can get into my Office 365 but I just can't get the e-mail program
to behave. It WILL let into my e-mail accounts but only if I sign into each
one, one at a time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:49:50 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> I have my contacts on my phone, Chromebooks, even my Windows computers. It's a heck of a thing. I don't have to worry about a thing.

I've got my contacts and e-mail on my phone, too (Chrome and Windows). But
I don't want to putz around using the phone as my only means to write e-mail.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:54:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Because I can get into my Office 365 but I just can't get the e-mail program
> to behave. It WILL let into my e-mail accounts but only if I sign into each
> one, one at a time.

Because it's ONLY ON ONE COMPUTER, and every time you reconfigure your email program ON THAT ONE COMPUTER to connect with another email system on another computer ALL YOU SEE is what's on EACH EMAIL SYSTEM you configure your ONE EMAIL CLIENT PROGRAM ON ONE COMPUTER FOR!

Are you daft? Obtuse? Patently STUPID?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:57:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:49:50 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I have my contacts on my phone, Chromebooks, even my Windows computers. It's a heck of a thing. I don't have to worry about a thing.
> >

> I've got my contacts and e-mail on my phone, too (Chrome and Windows). But
> I don't want to putz around using the phone as my only means to write e-mail.

You people here really have NO IDEA what's where and how it's all hooked up or NOT!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 21:51:44 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> For a newsreader, download Thunderbird.
> >> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

> > Not a recommended software for someone unsure at first of a
> > mini-din vs usb. Doesnt matter that you love it. xananews
> > (freeware) more apt to be her speed of setup.

> It doesn't get any simpler than Thunderbird.
>
> And I cringe when I hear people incorrectly use the word "software"
> like that (and other incorrect ways). At least you didn't pluralize
> it. But it shows your own ignorance especially for someone who
> claims to "have written a software".
>
> You have the weirdest vocabulary of anyone here.
>
> -sw

Don't know what you are talking about. I don't write software nor ever
claimed to do so unless you misinterpret a SQL programmer as 'writing
software' (it isn't in the same arena except it is referred to as
'programmer' due to some unique elements).

As to Thunderbird, it is a software. One specifically designed to be a
newsclient though like xananews, it may be able to also handle regular
email or other things. Since I do not run it, I do not recall if it
does other things.

As to odd vocabulary, chock that up to a diverse background of work
experince, 35 of it in nitch IT areas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 15:47:22 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 5:18:59 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 3:42:07 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
>> > You don't find the wires annoying, you must be comatose.

>> Wires are ROCK SOLID connections! If they are connected/plugged in!
>>
>> You must find your wireless signals getting hacked or failing sporadically!
>>
>> Signals drop out much? ;-)
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

>I can't speak for Sheldon, but I've never, ever, ever, not once had my
>wireless signal getting hacked or failing sporadically. Nope, n-o-t a
>s-i-n-g-l-e time.

I've been using wireless for years, never been hacked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 6:10:09 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> At the moment I can't recall just where, but I believe there's a
> place where you can turn off the Windows 10 email.

And THAT is the problem with Windows!! And always was!! You never know what and where to change any damn thing you WANT to change, because MicroSUCKS is all too anxious to SELL YOU MORE SOFTWARE!!

> I hae no problem sending an external URL to the Office Outlook.

Do you have ANY IDEA how many INDEFINITE definitions you just cited?

You really have NO IDEA what you are talking about, do you?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > > For a newsreader, download Thunderbird.
> > > https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

> > Not a recommended software for someone unsure at first of a
> > mini-din vs usb. Doesnt matter that you love it. xananews
> > (freeware) more apt to be her speed of setup.

> Thanks, yes...I do not know much about the workings of computers
> overall, I really only know a lot about the things/programs I use. I
> will definitely keep this in mind.
>
> Cheri

Not to worry Cheri!

By all means check out Thunderbird. It's got a lot of complexity to it
but that is due to it's extreme flexibility to set up so many extensive
filters and other things.

xananews is not as flexible but it has all the most needed features and
has good defaults for most users. You can add to it later to customize
colors for messages to/from you and so on. You may well be up and
running in 10 minutes flat.

You'll also see it's pretty compliant with the general quoting behavior
a real client gives you. It's main drawback is in the devilish details
under the hood on killfiles. It doesn't have the detailed
discrimination of Thunderbird. The rest of the details are more
related to your preferred color of icing (grin). For now, you are
doing pretty well with what you are using.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2018 4:28 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 3:43:29 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

>> On 9/17/2018 2:04 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Wow. You get dumber and dumber every time you speak....

>> That may be true, but he is correct:

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email

> Yep. About email, I KNOW what I am talking about!!

> I also know that on the Internet everything is communicated via what's called a Connectionless Protocol. Know what a connectionless protocol is?

I did not know that ....but, I know where to find it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connec..._communication

Sqwertz is correct about one thing, though. You do ACT dumber every
time you open that trap of yers. Gee, why don't you use some more swear
words? I know you seem to think they help.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

songbird wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > I have two ports that I use for thumb drives that see a lot of in &
> > out. To those I've attached small extension cords that the cords
> > get the wear & tear rather than the computer-mounted ports. Nothing
> > has ever worn out, though.

> on my previous machine a few ports stopped working
> eventually due to wear/tear over many years.
>
> i have no idea how my current MB is wired to the
> controller, but i have each slotted board going
> to their own MB plug, so that's two USB slots to
> one MB port, but the wiring from there is in the
> MB and if that stops working it will likely be
> due to something more major than a USB slot failure
> issue.
>
> [geek rambles ahead, but at least the thread is
> marked OT ]
>
> so far i'm very happy with this new machine and
> running Debian/Linux on it.
>
> happy enough that i've actually been having fun
> coding for a change (i've not really done any
> projects for some years because i didn't find any-
> thing interesting enough any more) and learning a
> new language.
>

> songbird

Can happen over time that the cards losen in the slots and need
reseating. Happens all the time on Navy ships due to the 'motion of
the ocean'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Druce wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 21:54:28 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Druce wrote:

> through >> > > my Asus power cord. GRRRRRRRRR

> split >> > > it down the middle. The new power cord will be inserted
> in the >> > > middle of this tubing to discourage further chewing. I
> had to do >> > > this with the second Chromebook cord and so far, so
> good. >> > >

> while >> > she pushes my phone off the desk
> >>
> >> One of our cats races me to my computer chair and thinks it's his

> if >> he gets there first.
> >
> > LOL! I got that here too

> Lol. The compromise is that he can sit on my lap.

Smile, same here. Makes us both happy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 6:36:46 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 15:47:22 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:

> >> Wires are ROCK SOLID connections! If they are connected/plugged in!
> >>
> >> You must find your wireless signals getting hacked or failing sporadically!
> >>
> >> Signals drop out much? ;-)
> >>
> >> John Kuthe...
> >>

> >I can't speak for Sheldon, but I've never, ever, ever, not once had my
> >wireless signal getting hacked or failing sporadically. Nope, n-o-t a
> >s-i-n-g-l-e time.

> I've been using wireless for years, never been hacked.

That you KNOW OF!!

Just spreading your UNSECURED SIGNALS EVERYWHERE!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> > Make sure they're plugged into black USB ports rather than blue USB
> > ports. They'll both work for keyboard and mouse but you'll
> > eventually probably need to swap them later.
> >
> > Nobody has made PS2 keyboards or mice for over 12 years so I didn't
> > think anybody was still putting PS2 ports on back of computers when
> > they've eliminated all other non-essentials (like parallel and
> > serial ports). The advanced ASUS motherboard I bought 6 years ago
> > doesn't have them. And I have 16 USB ports (only 12 physical unless
> > I mount another cable)
> >
> > -sw

> Thank you very much, will do. that is very useful information and I
> appreciate it.
>
> Cheri

Do you have colored USB ports perchance? I don't. Well, actually one
of the computers here has a pretty silverish exterior to the front set.
MOst of my gear is pretty old though.