Old 29-07-2018, 11:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trick for keeping food fresh....

Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and don't really need this trick, I admit.

Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage problem, especially when I'm just not in the mood to eat the same things two or three days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn problem.) This is despite the fact that I know how to keep my grocery bill under $100 a month, including dessert and occasional takeout.

I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for the last 7 months, I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries with the cash I get. I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I had the cash for it, without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for groceries). This just might lower my grocery bill even further and solve the spoilage problem. (I might even de-clutter at a faster rate because of this - my relatives will be thrilled if that happens!)

Lenona.

Old 30-07-2018, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2018 6:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

Groceries aside, decluttering is good. Getting redy to move, I've not
sold anything but have given away a lot of stuff we don't need and have
not used for a long time. Much went to the Salvation Army Thrift store.

Some items just went to the curb and scavengers took it away. Funny how
fast some stuff goes, some shelving was gone in less than five minutes
and we are not on a buys street.

We eat leftovers and I try to get a maximum of another dinner and a
lunch from them. Too much gets boring. Exceptions are lasagna as if
freezes well. Nice to have a ready made meal some nights.
Old 30-07-2018, 11:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
[...]

---

I almost always use cash for groceries. Although I still have a stockpile of
non-perishables, it's much smaller than it used to be. I am totally in
charge of the money now. So no fears that there will be nothing left to buy
food. I know how to budget. I do still stock up when I find good sales.
Mainly on beans and rice as that is the bulk of our diet now.

I try to be more flexible with meals, basing them on whatever fresh produce
and meat I can find for a good price. Once in a while, I will make a
specific meal that someone wants and pay no mind to the cost.

I buy what I can at Costco. Got a huge bag of tamales. Really cheap and
enough for three big meals. I also grow some produce.

I usually try for no leftovers. Unless they are planned. If I decide to make
fried rice, I cook extra so I will have that. I might cook a big pot of
beans and use them over the course of a few days.

I do put small bags of plain rice and cooked meat in the freezer for the
dog. Must lay off of the rice. That is building up in the freezer.

I have very little food waste now. If I do have some wilted produce or extra
slices of bread, my gardener takes them for his goat. He is also welcome to
all of the apples and pears. Mostly what I have are veggie scraps like ends
and peels and once in a while something that got smashed or spoiled before I
thought it would.

Old 30-07-2018, 03:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 6:05:31 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
, my gardener takes them for his goat.

Silly question...Where is the goat?
Old 30-07-2018, 03:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 5:05:31 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

[...]

You could have used a few more I's there, Ju-Ju.

Old 30-07-2018, 03:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2018, lenona321 wrote:
Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and don't really need this trick, I admit.
Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage problem, especially when I'm just not
in the mood to eat the same things two or three days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn problem.)
This is despite the fact that I know how to keep my grocery bill under $100 a month, including dessert
and occasional takeout.

For me it's not the money, I just hate waste. What works well for me
is to be very judicious when buying perishables... the stores here
will always have meats, dairy, and produce so I don't stock up on
those items, just because there's a sale on steaks I don't buy more
than enough for one meal plus some left over for the next day, we
don't mind cold steak sandwiches/salads. I don't freeze tender beef
as freezing lowers the quality substantially. Plus I've not seen a
week when some cuts of steak were not on sale... there are always
various cuts of meat on sale, one week chicken, the next week pork,
and then various beef cuts. The only beef I freeze are those cuts I
use for stews/pot roasts/burgers, and I always grind my own, it costs
less and I know what/who is in it. I plan our menus each week
according to what's on sale. With produce just because potatoes,
onions and various fruits are on sale I don't buy more than we can
consume that week, same with dairy... purchased fresh as needed
there's no waste. However we do stock up on canned goods and all
non-perishibles... can never have too many rolls of TP.

I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for the last 7 months,
I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries with the cash I get.

I'm not a pack rat and I detest clutter, anything I've no use for
immediately goes into the trash. Any items that become worn but
someone may be able to use goes out to the curb, always gone within
hours. My wife's brother being a very disabled Nam Vet resides in a
group home, all clothing, especially shoes goes there, all very much
appreciated as most have no income and no relatives to care for them.
My wife is her brother's legal guardian and so we provide for his
needs, even his medical insurance so he doen't need to go to a VA
facility, the Vets would be far better off if the VA was abandoned...
the VA provides the Vets with nothing but grief, the VA is only a
major drain on everyone's tax dollars.

I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I had the cash for it,
without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for groceries).
This just might lower my grocery bill even further and solve the spoilage problem.

I've always paid for groceries with cash. I buy gasolene with cash
too. In fact I don't have an ATM card. For large purcheses like
medical/dental, furnishings, and on line purchases I use a credit card
and pay the bill that month. I don't have a debit card either...
debit cards only let people pretend they have funds so halfway through
the month they are dead broke.... I often see folks have to leave a
cartful of groceries at the check-out.

Nothing edible goes into our trash, kitchen parings go out to feed the
critters, coffee grounds/teabags go into our composter. as does the
contents from our shredder bin. Last night watermelon rinds along
with potato parings went out into the yard, this morning they were
gone. Many song birds consume citrus rinds, even those lemon wedges
marinated in vodka. Beef bones from steak get tossed at the edge of a
hedgerow, some critter will find them as they are always gone the next
morning. Even dried out canned cat food becomes a meal for the
crows.
Old 30-07-2018, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 9:03:55 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Some items just went to the curb and scavengers took it away. Funny how
fast some stuff goes, some shelving was gone in less than five minutes
and we are not on a buys street.

Yeah, when I lived in the Central West End of St Louis for 13 years I used to do that. I called it giving directly to the poor. Just take whatever I wanted to get rid of and put it on top of our dumpsters back in the alley behind our house!

Much easier to take that way than having to "dumpster dive"!

John Kuthe...
Old 30-07-2018, 04:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 9:49:37 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

I've always paid for groceries with cash. I buy gasolene with cash
too. In fact I don't have an ATM card. For large purchases like
medical/dental, furnishings, and on line purchases I use a credit card
and pay the bill that month. I don't have a debit card either...
debit cards only let people pretend they have funds so halfway through
the month they are dead broke.

There you go again. If people don't follow your example they're broke
in the middle of the month which of course is nothing but one of your
BIG FAT LIES, once more.

I grocery shop with a Kroger Rewards credit card which last month
enabled me to buy gas at 95¢ off per gallon. I use a debit card,
except for groceries, for all my purchases. It should be treated
just like paying with a check with the exception there is no actual
check number to be posted in your register. Sit down, this will come
as a shock to you; halfway through the month I'm not dead broke because
I use a debit card!

Perhaps 4 or 5 times a year I will write a check. That's only because
the license bureau and property tax department charges a 'convenience
fee' to use a debit or credit card. Also a check will be written in
case a service person has been to my house for some sort of repair.

My medical insurance is automatically taken out of my checking account
each month as are my utilities. Dental insurance is paid through another
rewards card and that card is paid automatically each month through my
checking account as well.

I often see folks have to leave a
cartful of groceries at the check-out.

Why is that? Not enough cash? They should pay with a credit card and
then settle that bill each month.

Old 30-07-2018, 04:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
[...]

=====\

That's what I do, I pay for everything with a rewards credit card and pay it
off completely when the bill comes. It is nice to get a rewards check when
you decide to cash it out. When shopping on Amazon I use the Amazon card
where you can take the rewards in cash or credit when shopping. It makes no
sense to me not to get the rewards by paying cash, but whatever turns him
on.

Cheri

Old 30-07-2018, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 10:20:15 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

That's what I do, I pay for everything with a rewards credit card and pay it
off completely when the bill comes. It is nice to get a rewards check when
you decide to cash it out. When shopping on Amazon I use the Amazon card
where you can take the rewards in cash or credit when shopping. It makes no
sense to me not to get the rewards by paying cash, but whatever turns him
on.

Cheri

Back in March I paid with a credit card to have concrete and gravel
delivered to my house for a driveway at the back of my property. I
paid for both with my Kroger Rewards card and then received a fat
check from Kroger! I'm planning on using that one as well as another
one I have stashed away for Thanksgiving hams.

Old 30-07-2018, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
[...]

Oh no!!! Didn't you run out of cash mid month? LOL

Cheri

Old 30-07-2018, 05:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 11:03:10 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

wrote in message

Back in March I paid with a credit card to have concrete and gravel
delivered to my house for a driveway at the back of my property. I
paid for both with my Kroger Rewards card and then received a fat
check from Kroger! I'm planning on using that one as well as another
one I have stashed away for Thanksgiving hams.

Oh no!!! Didn't you run out of cash mid month? LOL

Cheri

Hahahahaaaaa, if I'd paid in cash I surely would have!
Old 04-08-2018, 01:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2018 6:25 PM, wrote:
Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and don't really need this trick, I admit.

Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage problem, especially when I'm just not in the mood to eat the same things two or three days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn problem.) This is despite the fact that I know how to keep my grocery bill under $100 a month, including dessert and occasional takeout.

Well wrapped food in tightly sealed freezer bags, or good storage
containers (I like the Rubbermaid ones) do a good job of preventing
freezer burn. Some folks swear by a vacuum sealer/food saver. Items
are clearly labelled and dated (scotch tape & a sharpie on the
container). I regularly rotate items in the freezer so that older items
get used first.

I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for the last 7 months, I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries with the cash I get. I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I had the cash for it, without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for groceries). This just might lower my grocery bill even further and solve the spoilage problem. (I might even de-clutter at a faster rate because of this - my relatives will be thrilled if that happens!)

Lenona.

I've been selling off items with an eye towards decluttering for years.
After my brothers took what they wanted from the house I was still left
with a lot of things I didn't really need. If someone is willing to pay
for it, I'm sure not going to complain.

Jill
Old 04-08-2018, 01:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2018 10:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/29/2018 6:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

When moving here I did my best to de-clutter. (Why move stuff and
*then* figure out how to get rid of it?) I was able to curb-cycle a lot
of things (wasn't on a busy street, either). Other items were donated
to the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

We eat leftovers and I try to get a maximum of another dinner and a
lunch from them.* Too much gets boring.* Exceptions are lasagna as if
freezes well.* Nice to have a ready made meal some nights.

Good freezer containers (I like the Rubbermaid ones) can help prevent
freezer burn. Also, clearly label and date the containers (I write it
on Scotch tape with a Sharpie). Rotate the items so the older leftovers
are used first.

I don't always feel like cooking. Next Tuesday I have to get a root
canal and a temporary crown. I'm pretty sure I won't feel like cooking
after that. It will be nice to have a ready made meal in the freezer.

Jill
Old 04-08-2018, 11:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" wrote in message
On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 6:05:31 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
, my gardener takes them for his goat.

Silly question...Where is the goat?

That should have read "goats". I don't have the address but it's near here.
Have seen pics. They are often in different places though as they are rented
out to eat blackberries and weeds from people's yards. He had been having
trouble finding a large enough piece of property with enough vegetation and
other things they need to keep them all there. Up until now, they had been
in different places and not always near here. We did have one of the babies
here for a few days. She is really cute and has soft fur.