Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

Default keeping bread fresh

What is the best way to keep home made bread fresh for the few days after it
is baked and before the entire loaf is eaten?

Are there other problems to watch out for besides drying out (becoming
stale) or becoming moldy? I've noticed that sometimes the flavor changes for
the worse and/or it begins to smell "off". Is there a way to prevent that?
(I've been keeping the bread in a plastic bag).

Thanks,

Posted to alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.baking

vcyr6deki7urfdc wrote:
> What is the best way to keep home made bread fresh for the few days after it
> is baked and before the entire loaf is eaten?

It depends on the type of bread. For a crusty bread, I prefer a paper
bag. For a rich bread with a soft crust, I prefer a plastic bag. In
either case, either keep the bread at room temperature or freeze it. Do
not put it in the refrigerator, which hastens staling.

> Are there other problems to watch out for besides drying out (becoming
> stale) or becoming moldy? I've noticed that sometimes the flavor changes for
> the worse and/or it begins to smell "off". Is there a way to prevent that?
> (I've been keeping the bread in a plastic bag).

If the bread begins to smell off, I would take that as a sign that it is
underbaked. Underbaking can be the ultimate result of poor gluten
development, too much flour in the dough, underproofing, and other
errors. So I would look to root causes before worrying too much about
storage techniques.

Dick
Posted to rec.food.baking

I slice it when it's cooled down and freeze it. I prefer to leave it
overnight before slicing as it is easier. I then take out whatever I need
to toast, defrost etc.

"vcyr6deki7urfdc" > wrote in message
om...
> What is the best way to keep home made bread fresh for the few days after
> it is baked and before the entire loaf is eaten?
>
> Are there other problems to watch out for besides drying out (becoming
> stale) or becoming moldy? I've noticed that sometimes the flavor changes
> for the worse and/or it begins to smell "off". Is there a way to prevent
> that? (I've been keeping the bread in a plastic bag).
>

> Thanks,

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Viviane" > wrote in message
>I slice it when it's cooled down and freeze it. I prefer to leave it
>overnight before slicing as it is easier. I then take out whatever I need
>to toast, defrost etc.

When you defrost a few slices don't they get soggy with condensation from
the air?

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.baking

Never had that problem. If I'm making sandwiches, I stand 2 slices upright
leaning on each other making an inverted V, which allows them to defrost
without getting soggy. Or I put the slices on the rack above our toaster
(without the toaster on). Sometimes I make the sandwiches with the frozen
bread and wrap in plastic wrap straight away and they're still not soggy.