FoodBanter.com

-   -   Trick for keeping food fresh.... (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/444118-trick-keeping-food-fresh.html)

[email protected] 29-07-2018 11:25 PM

Trick for keeping food fresh....

Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and don't really need this trick, I admit.

Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage problem, especially when I'm just not in the mood to eat the same things two or three days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn problem.) This is despite the fact that I know how to keep my grocery bill under $100 a month, including dessert and occasional takeout.

I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for the last 7 months, I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries with the cash I get. I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I had the cash for it, without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for groceries). This just might lower my grocery bill even further and solve the spoilage problem. (I might even de-clutter at a faster rate because of this - my relatives will be thrilled if that happens!)

Lenona.

Ed Pawlowski 30-07-2018 03:03 AM

On 7/29/2018 6:25 PM, wrote:
> Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and don't really need this trick, I admit.
>
> Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage problem, especially when I'm just not in the mood to eat the same things two or three days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn problem.) This is despite the fact that I know how to keep my grocery bill under $100 a month, including dessert and occasional takeout.
>
> I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for the last 7 months, I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries with the cash I get. I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I had the cash for it, without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for groceries). This just might lower my grocery bill even further and solve the spoilage problem. (I might even de-clutter at a faster rate because of this - my relatives will be thrilled if that happens!)
>

> Lenona.

Groceries aside, decluttering is good. Getting redy to move, I've not
sold anything but have given away a lot of stuff we don't need and have
not used for a long time. Much went to the Salvation Army Thrift store.

Some items just went to the curb and scavengers took it away. Funny how
fast some stuff goes, some shelving was gone in less than five minutes
and we are not on a buys street.

We eat leftovers and I try to get a maximum of another dinner and a
lunch from them. Too much gets boring. Exceptions are lasagna as if
freezes well. Nice to have a ready made meal some nights.

Julie Bove[_2_] 30-07-2018 11:05 AM

Trick for keeping food fresh....

> wrote in message
Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and don't
really need this trick, I admit.

Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage problem,
especially when I'm just not in the mood to eat the same things two or three
days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn problem.) This is despite the
fact that I know how to keep my grocery bill under $100 a month, including
dessert and occasional takeout.

I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for the
last 7 months, I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries with the
cash I get. I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I had the cash
for it, without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for groceries). This just
might lower my grocery bill even further and solve the spoilage problem. (I
might even de-clutter at a faster rate because of this - my relatives will
be thrilled if that happens!)

---

I almost always use cash for groceries. Although I still have a stockpile of
non-perishables, it's much smaller than it used to be. I am totally in
charge of the money now. So no fears that there will be nothing left to buy
food. I know how to budget. I do still stock up when I find good sales.
Mainly on beans and rice as that is the bulk of our diet now.

I try to be more flexible with meals, basing them on whatever fresh produce
and meat I can find for a good price. Once in a while, I will make a
specific meal that someone wants and pay no mind to the cost.

I buy what I can at Costco. Got a huge bag of tamales. Really cheap and
enough for three big meals. I also grow some produce.

I usually try for no leftovers. Unless they are planned. If I decide to make
fried rice, I cook extra so I will have that. I might cook a big pot of
beans and use them over the course of a few days.

I do put small bags of plain rice and cooked meat in the freezer for the
dog. Must lay off of the rice. That is building up in the freezer.

I have very little food waste now. If I do have some wilted produce or extra
slices of bread, my gardener takes them for his goat. He is also welcome to
all of the apples and pears. Mostly what I have are veggie scraps like ends
and peels and once in a while something that got smashed or spoiled before I
thought it would.

Thomas[_4_] 30-07-2018 03:22 PM

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 6:05:31 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> , my gardener takes them for his goat.

Silly question...Where is the goat?

[email protected][_2_] 30-07-2018 03:43 PM

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 5:05:31 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> I almost always use cash for groceries. Although I still have a stockpile of
> non-perishables, it's much smaller than it used to be. I am totally in
> charge of the money now. So no fears that there will be nothing left to buy
> food. I know how to budget. I do still stock up when I find good sales.
> Mainly on beans and rice as that is the bulk of our diet now.
>
> I try to be more flexible with meals, basing them on whatever fresh produce
> and meat I can find for a good price. Once in a while, I will make a
> specific meal that someone wants and pay no mind to the cost.
>
> I buy what I can at Costco. Got a huge bag of tamales. Really cheap and
> enough for three big meals. I also grow some produce.
>
> I usually try for no leftovers. Unless they are planned. If I decide to make
> fried rice, I cook extra so I will have that. I might cook a big pot of
> beans and use them over the course of a few days.
>
> I do put small bags of plain rice and cooked meat in the freezer for the
> dog. Must lay off of the rice. That is building up in the freezer.
>
> I have very little food waste now. If I do have some wilted produce or extra
> slices of bread, my gardener takes them for his goat. He is also welcome to
> all of the apples and pears. Mostly what I have are veggie scraps like ends
> and peels and once in a while something that got smashed or spoiled before I
> thought it would.

You could have used a few more I's there, Ju-Ju.

[email protected] 30-07-2018 03:49 PM

On 7/29/2018, lenona321 wrote:
> Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and don't really need this trick, I admit.
> Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage problem, especially when I'm just not
>in the mood to eat the same things two or three days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn problem.)
>This is despite the fact that I know how to keep my grocery bill under $100 a month, including dessert
>and occasional takeout.

For me it's not the money, I just hate waste. What works well for me
is to be very judicious when buying perishables... the stores here
will always have meats, dairy, and produce so I don't stock up on
those items, just because there's a sale on steaks I don't buy more
than enough for one meal plus some left over for the next day, we
don't mind cold steak sandwiches/salads. I don't freeze tender beef
as freezing lowers the quality substantially. Plus I've not seen a
week when some cuts of steak were not on sale... there are always
various cuts of meat on sale, one week chicken, the next week pork,
and then various beef cuts. The only beef I freeze are those cuts I
use for stews/pot roasts/burgers, and I always grind my own, it costs
less and I know what/who is in it. I plan our menus each week
according to what's on sale. With produce just because potatoes,
onions and various fruits are on sale I don't buy more than we can
consume that week, same with dairy... purchased fresh as needed
there's no waste. However we do stock up on canned goods and all
non-perishibles... can never have too many rolls of TP.

> I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for the last 7 months,
>I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries with the cash I get.

I'm not a pack rat and I detest clutter, anything I've no use for
immediately goes into the trash. Any items that become worn but
someone may be able to use goes out to the curb, always gone within
hours. My wife's brother being a very disabled Nam Vet resides in a
group home, all clothing, especially shoes goes there, all very much
appreciated as most have no income and no relatives to care for them.
My wife is her brother's legal guardian and so we provide for his
needs, even his medical insurance so he doen't need to go to a VA
facility, the Vets would be far better off if the VA was abandoned...
the VA provides the Vets with nothing but grief, the VA is only a
major drain on everyone's tax dollars.

>I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I had the cash for it,
>without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for groceries).
>This just might lower my grocery bill even further and solve the spoilage problem.

I've always paid for groceries with cash. I buy gasolene with cash
too. In fact I don't have an ATM card. For large purcheses like
medical/dental, furnishings, and on line purchases I use a credit card
and pay the bill that month. I don't have a debit card either...
debit cards only let people pretend they have funds so halfway through
the month they are dead broke.... I often see folks have to leave a
cartful of groceries at the check-out.

Nothing edible goes into our trash, kitchen parings go out to feed the
critters, coffee grounds/teabags go into our composter. as does the
contents from our shredder bin. Last night watermelon rinds along
with potato parings went out into the yard, this morning they were
gone. Many song birds consume citrus rinds, even those lemon wedges
marinated in vodka. Beef bones from steak get tossed at the edge of a
hedgerow, some critter will find them as they are always gone the next
morning. Even dried out canned cat food becomes a meal for the
crows.

John Kuthe[_3_] 30-07-2018 03:51 PM

On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 9:03:55 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Some items just went to the curb and scavengers took it away. Funny how
> fast some stuff goes, some shelving was gone in less than five minutes
> and we are not on a buys street.

Yeah, when I lived in the Central West End of St Louis for 13 years I used to do that. I called it giving directly to the poor. Just take whatever I wanted to get rid of and put it on top of our dumpsters back in the alley behind our house!

Much easier to take that way than having to "dumpster dive"!

John Kuthe...

[email protected][_2_] 30-07-2018 04:06 PM

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 9:49:37 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I've always paid for groceries with cash. I buy gasolene with cash
> too. In fact I don't have an ATM card. For large purchases like
> medical/dental, furnishings, and on line purchases I use a credit card
> and pay the bill that month. I don't have a debit card either...
> debit cards only let people pretend they have funds so halfway through
> the month they are dead broke.

There you go again. If people don't follow your example they're broke
in the middle of the month which of course is nothing but one of your
BIG FAT LIES, once more.

I grocery shop with a Kroger Rewards credit card which last month
enabled me to buy gas at 95¢ off per gallon. I use a debit card,
except for groceries, for all my purchases. It should be treated
just like paying with a check with the exception there is no actual
check number to be posted in your register. Sit down, this will come
as a shock to you; halfway through the month I'm not dead broke because
I use a debit card!

Perhaps 4 or 5 times a year I will write a check. That's only because
the license bureau and property tax department charges a 'convenience
fee' to use a debit or credit card. Also a check will be written in
case a service person has been to my house for some sort of repair.

My medical insurance is automatically taken out of my checking account
each month as are my utilities. Dental insurance is paid through another
rewards card and that card is paid automatically each month through my
checking account as well.

> I often see folks have to leave a
> cartful of groceries at the check-out.

Why is that? Not enough cash? They should pay with a credit card and
then settle that bill each month.

Cheri[_3_] 30-07-2018 04:19 PM

Trick for keeping food fresh....

> wrote in message
On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 9:49:37 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I've always paid for groceries with cash. I buy gasolene with cash
> too. In fact I don't have an ATM card. For large purchases like
> medical/dental, furnishings, and on line purchases I use a credit card
> and pay the bill that month. I don't have a debit card either...
> debit cards only let people pretend they have funds so halfway through
> the month they are dead broke.

There you go again. If people don't follow your example they're broke
in the middle of the month which of course is nothing but one of your
BIG FAT LIES, once more.

I grocery shop with a Kroger Rewards credit card which last month
enabled me to buy gas at 95¢ off per gallon. I use a debit card,
except for groceries, for all my purchases. It should be treated
just like paying with a check with the exception there is no actual
check number to be posted in your register. Sit down, this will come
as a shock to you; halfway through the month I'm not dead broke because
I use a debit card!

Perhaps 4 or 5 times a year I will write a check. That's only because
the license bureau and property tax department charges a 'convenience
fee' to use a debit or credit card. Also a check will be written in
case a service person has been to my house for some sort of repair.

My medical insurance is automatically taken out of my checking account
each month as are my utilities. Dental insurance is paid through another
rewards card and that card is paid automatically each month through my
checking account as well.

> I often see folks have to leave a
> cartful of groceries at the check-out.

Why is that? Not enough cash? They should pay with a credit card and
then settle that bill each month.
=====\

That's what I do, I pay for everything with a rewards credit card and pay it
off completely when the bill comes. It is nice to get a rewards check when
you decide to cash it out. When shopping on Amazon I use the Amazon card
where you can take the rewards in cash or credit when shopping. It makes no
sense to me not to get the rewards by paying cash, but whatever turns him
on.

Cheri

[email protected][_2_] 30-07-2018 04:51 PM

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 10:20:15 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> That's what I do, I pay for everything with a rewards credit card and pay it
> off completely when the bill comes. It is nice to get a rewards check when
> you decide to cash it out. When shopping on Amazon I use the Amazon card
> where you can take the rewards in cash or credit when shopping. It makes no
> sense to me not to get the rewards by paying cash, but whatever turns him
> on.
>
> Cheri

Back in March I paid with a credit card to have concrete and gravel
delivered to my house for a driveway at the back of my property. I
paid for both with my Kroger Rewards card and then received a fat
check from Kroger! I'm planning on using that one as well as another
one I have stashed away for Thanksgiving hams.

Cheri[_3_] 30-07-2018 05:01 PM

Trick for keeping food fresh....

> wrote in message
> On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 10:20:15 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> That's what I do, I pay for everything with a rewards credit card and pay
>> it
>> off completely when the bill comes. It is nice to get a rewards check
>> when
>> you decide to cash it out. When shopping on Amazon I use the Amazon card
>> where you can take the rewards in cash or credit when shopping. It makes
>> no
>> sense to me not to get the rewards by paying cash, but whatever turns him
>> on.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Back in March I paid with a credit card to have concrete and gravel
> delivered to my house for a driveway at the back of my property. I
> paid for both with my Kroger Rewards card and then received a fat
> check from Kroger! I'm planning on using that one as well as another
> one I have stashed away for Thanksgiving hams.

Oh no!!! Didn't you run out of cash mid month? LOL

Cheri

[email protected][_2_] 30-07-2018 05:35 PM

On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 11:03:10 AM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > Back in March I paid with a credit card to have concrete and gravel
> > delivered to my house for a driveway at the back of my property. I
> > paid for both with my Kroger Rewards card and then received a fat
> > check from Kroger! I'm planning on using that one as well as another
> > one I have stashed away for Thanksgiving hams.
> >

> Oh no!!! Didn't you run out of cash mid month? LOL
>
> Cheri

Hahahahaaaaa, if I'd paid in cash I surely would have!

jmcquown[_2_] 04-08-2018 01:20 AM

On 7/29/2018 6:25 PM, wrote:
> Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and don't really need this trick, I admit.
>
> Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage problem, especially when I'm just not in the mood to eat the same things two or three days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn problem.) This is despite the fact that I know how to keep my grocery bill under $100 a month, including dessert and occasional takeout.

Well wrapped food in tightly sealed freezer bags, or good storage
containers (I like the Rubbermaid ones) do a good job of preventing
freezer burn. Some folks swear by a vacuum sealer/food saver. Items
are clearly labelled and dated (scotch tape & a sharpie on the
container). I regularly rotate items in the freezer so that older items
get used first.

> I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for the last 7 months, I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries with the cash I get. I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I had the cash for it, without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for groceries). This just might lower my grocery bill even further and solve the spoilage problem. (I might even de-clutter at a faster rate because of this - my relatives will be thrilled if that happens!)
>

> Lenona.

I've been selling off items with an eye towards decluttering for years.
After my brothers took what they wanted from the house I was still left
with a lot of things I didn't really need. If someone is willing to pay
for it, I'm sure not going to complain. :)

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 04-08-2018 01:33 AM

On 7/29/2018 10:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/29/2018 6:25 PM, wrote:
>> Chances are many (most?) of you are more disciplined than I am and
>> don't really need this trick, I admit.
>>
>> Since I can be lazy about finishing leftovers, I have a spoilage
>> problem, especially when I'm just not in the mood to eat the same
>> things two or three days in a row. (There's also a freezer burn
>> problem.) This is despite the fact that I know how to keep my grocery
>> bill under $100 a month, including dessert and occasional takeout.
>>
>> I also need to de-clutter my place, so I hit on something. Namely, for
>> the last 7 months, I've been selling off stuff and buying groceries
>> with the cash I get. I decided that I would not buy ANY food unless I
>> had the cash for it, without visiting an ATM (I ALWAYS use cash for
>> groceries). This just might lower my grocery bill even further and
>> solve the spoilage problem. (I might even de-clutter at a faster rate
>> because of this - my relatives will be thrilled if that happens!)
>>

>> Lenona.
>>

> Groceries aside, decluttering is good.Â* Getting redy to move, I've not
> sold anything but have given away a lot of stuff we don't need and have
> not used for a long time.Â* Much went to the Salvation Army Thrift store.
>
> Some items just went to the curb and scavengers took it away.Â* Funny how
> fast some stuff goes, some shelving was gone in less than five minutes
> and we are not on a buys street.

When moving here I did my best to de-clutter. (Why move stuff and
*then* figure out how to get rid of it?) I was able to curb-cycle a lot
of things (wasn't on a busy street, either). Other items were donated
to the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

> We eat leftovers and I try to get a maximum of another dinner and a
> lunch from them.Â* Too much gets boring.Â* Exceptions are lasagna as if
> freezes well.Â* Nice to have a ready made meal some nights.

Good freezer containers (I like the Rubbermaid ones) can help prevent
freezer burn. Also, clearly label and date the containers (I write it
on Scotch tape with a Sharpie). Rotate the items so the older leftovers
are used first.

I don't always feel like cooking. Next Tuesday I have to get a root
canal and a temporary crown. I'm pretty sure I won't feel like cooking
after that. It will be nice to have a ready made meal in the freezer. :)

Jill

Julie Bove[_2_] 04-08-2018 11:42 AM

"Thomas" > wrote in message
> On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 6:05:31 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
>> , my gardener takes them for his goat.

> Silly question...Where is the goat?

That should have read "goats". I don't have the address but it's near here.
Have seen pics. They are often in different places though as they are rented
out to eat blackberries and weeds from people's yards. He had been having
trouble finding a large enough piece of property with enough vegetation and
other things they need to keep them all there. Up until now, they had been
in different places and not always near here. We did have one of the babies
here for a few days. She is really cute and has soft fur.

Julie Bove[_2_] 04-08-2018 11:43 AM

Trick for keeping food fresh....

> wrote in message
> On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 5:05:31 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I almost always use cash for groceries. Although I still have a stockpile
>> of
>> non-perishables, it's much smaller than it used to be. I am totally in
>> charge of the money now. So no fears that there will be nothing left to
>> buy
>> food. I know how to budget. I do still stock up when I find good sales.
>> Mainly on beans and rice as that is the bulk of our diet now.
>>
>> I try to be more flexible with meals, basing them on whatever fresh
>> produce
>> and meat I can find for a good price. Once in a while, I will make a
>> specific meal that someone wants and pay no mind to the cost.
>>
>> I buy what I can at Costco. Got a huge bag of tamales. Really cheap and
>> enough for three big meals. I also grow some produce.
>>
>> I usually try for no leftovers. Unless they are planned. If I decide to
>> make
>> fried rice, I cook extra so I will have that. I might cook a big pot of
>> beans and use them over the course of a few days.
>>
>> I do put small bags of plain rice and cooked meat in the freezer for the
>> dog. Must lay off of the rice. That is building up in the freezer.
>>
>> I have very little food waste now. If I do have some wilted produce or
>> extra
>> slices of bread, my gardener takes them for his goat. He is also welcome
>> all of the apples and pears. Mostly what I have are veggie scraps like
>> ends
>> and peels and once in a while something that got smashed or spoiled
>> before I
>> thought it would.

> You could have used a few more I's there, Ju-Ju.

How about I focus on you? As in... **** you! :):):)

Happy now?

jmcquown[_2_] 04-08-2018 04:36 PM

Trick for keeping food fresh....

> On Fri 03 Aug 2018 05:33:20p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> Good freezer containers (I like the Rubbermaid ones) can help
>> prevent freezer burn. Also, clearly label and date the containers
>> (I write it on Scotch tape with a Sharpie). Rotate the items so
>> the older leftovers are used first.
>>
>> I don't always feel like cooking. Next Tuesday I have to get a
>> root canal and a temporary crown. I'm pretty sure I won't feel
>> like cooking after that. It will be nice to have a ready made
>> meal in the freezer. :)
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Ouch! That might just make you temporary royalty. :-) After a root
> canal and temporary crown you may not even feel like chewing. Good
> luck!

Yeah, it's not going to be fun. I'm sure I'll be taking a lot of
ibuprofen. Maybe I'll just plan on a nice creamed soup. :)

Jill

Cheri[_3_] 04-08-2018 04:44 PM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/3/2018 11:48 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 03 Aug 2018 05:33:20p, jmcquown told us...
>>
>>> Good freezer containers (I like the Rubbermaid ones) can help
>>> prevent freezer burn. Also, clearly label and date the containers
>>> (I write it on Scotch tape with a Sharpie). Rotate the items so
>>> the older leftovers are used first.
>>>
>>> I don't always feel like cooking. Next Tuesday I have to get a
>>> root canal and a temporary crown. I'm pretty sure I won't feel
>>> like cooking after that. It will be nice to have a ready made
>>> meal in the freezer. :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Ouch! That might just make you temporary royalty. :-) After a root
>> canal and temporary crown you may not even feel like chewing. Good
>> luck!
>>

> Yeah, it's not going to be fun. I'm sure I'll be taking a lot of
> ibuprofen. Maybe I'll just plan on a nice creamed soup. :)
>
> Jill

I had one of those root canals with a temporary crown not so long ago, it
was a piece of cake pain wise, but everyone has a different pain tolerance.

Cheri

Dave Smith[_1_] 04-08-2018 05:08 PM

On 2018-08-04 11:44 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>> Yeah, it's not going to be fun.Â* I'm sure I'll be taking a lot of
>> ibuprofen.Â* Maybe I'll just plan on a nice creamed soup. :)
>>
>> Jill

> I had one of those root canals with a temporary crown not so long ago,
> it was a piece of cake pain wise, but everyone has a different pain
> tolerance.

I have had three. The first was a piece of cake. The second one was more
involved and I had to go to an endontist. It was an ordeal. There was no
real pain, but there was discomfort keeping my mouth open for so long
and gagging and choking with that dental dam in my mouth. Then he
discovered that the tooth was cracked and did not want to proceed, so I
ended up going to a dental surgeon to have it pulled.

The next time I went was for a molar with five roots. I got sedated. I
recommend that. I went in early and was given a pill and some magazines.
I read for a whole, looked at pictures for a while, flipped pages for a
while. Then the endondist came in and got started. Along the way I
felt some pain but did not care. Then she said we were almost done. It
felt like the procedure had lasted maybe 20 minutes. My wife was in the
waiting room and said it had been 2 1/2 hours.

Cheri[_3_] 04-08-2018 05:15 PM

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-08-04 11:44 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Yeah, it's not going to be fun. I'm sure I'll be taking a lot of
>>> ibuprofen. Maybe I'll just plan on a nice creamed soup. :)
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I had one of those root canals with a temporary crown not so long ago, it
>> was a piece of cake pain wise, but everyone has a different pain
>> tolerance.

> I have had three. The first was a piece of cake. The second one was more
> involved and I had to go to an endontist. It was an ordeal. There was no
> real pain, but there was discomfort keeping my mouth open for so long and
> gagging and choking with that dental dam in my mouth. Then he discovered
> that the tooth was cracked and did not want to proceed, so I
> ended up going to a dental surgeon to have it pulled.
>
> The next time I went was for a molar with five roots. I got sedated. I
> recommend that. I went in early and was given a pill and some magazines. I
> read for a whole, looked at pictures for a while, flipped pages for a
> while. Then the endondist came in and got started. Along the way I felt
> some pain but did not care. Then she said we were almost done. It felt
> like the procedure had lasted maybe 20 minutes. My wife was in the
> waiting room and said it had been 2 1/2 hours.

I hear you. I have had a lot of dental work, some really painful, some not
really like my root canal. When dh had his wisdom teeth removed, he really
didn't even want Advil for the pain. He did fill the prescription for
Vicodin, but really only ever used that when his back acted up. Everyone is
different.

Cheri

jmcquown[_2_] 04-08-2018 05:26 PM

On 8/4/2018 11:44 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 8/3/2018 11:48 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Fri 03 Aug 2018 05:33:20p, jmcquown told us...

>>> Ouch!* That might just make you temporary royalty. :-)* After a root
>>> canal and temporary crown you may not even feel like chewing.* Good
>>> luck!
>>>

>> Yeah, it's not going to be fun.* I'm sure I'll be taking a lot of
>> ibuprofen.* Maybe I'll just plan on a nice creamed soup. :)
>>
>> Jill

> I had one of those root canals with a temporary crown not so long ago,
> it was a piece of cake pain wise, but everyone has a different pain
> tolerance.
>
> Cheri

I had a root canal last Halloween. I got a temporary crown a day later
(this time I've got the appointments back to back, same day - whew!). I
took generic ibuprofen (the equivalent of 600 mgs, which is akin to
prescription strength Advil) for a day or so afterwards. It was a dull
ache but didn't require anything stronger. I do recall being reluctant
to chew on that side until I got the permanent crown.

Now I get to do it all over again on the molar just above. Yes, I think
I'll make some cream of broccoli with cheese soup and puree it using my
stick blender. :)

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 04-08-2018 05:53 PM

On 8/4/2018 12:08 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-08-04 11:44 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Yeah, it's not going to be fun.Â* I'm sure I'll be taking a lot of
>>> ibuprofen.Â* Maybe I'll just plan on a nice creamed soup. :)
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I had one of those root canals with a temporary crown not so long ago,
>> it was a piece of cake pain wise, but everyone has a different pain
>> tolerance.

> I have had three. The first was a piece of cake. The second one was more
> involved and I had to go to an endontist. It was an ordeal. There was no
> real pain, but there was discomfort keeping my mouth open for so long

The endodontist I went to last time put a little rubber block between
the molars on the other side of my mouth so I didn't have to strain to
keep my mouth open. But at one point I did swallow wrong and I started
choking. I sat up, pulled that block out, leaned over and coughed until
I could breathe again. That was scary!

> and gagging and choking with that dental dam in my mouth. Then he
> discovered that the tooth was cracked and did not want to proceed, so I
> ended up going to a dental surgeon to have it pulled.

This tooth is a back upper molar and yes, it's cracked. The root canal
will be done by an endodontist because the dentist said even though he
can do a root canal this one is complex.

If it was the very back molar I'd let them pull the tooth. As it is, if
they pulled this one, eventually it would mess up the alignment and my
front teeth would spread. That would screw up the orthodontia my
parents had done when I was a teenager. I like having a nice smile!

> The next time I went was for a molar with five roots. I got sedated. I
> recommend that.

(snippage)

It might be preferable but then I'd have to ask a friend to drive me
to/from. Last week I drove a friend to get a procedure done in the
hospital. Because of the anesthetic he couldn't drive himself. That
was a very boring few hours. (laugh)

I do think I'll make some cream of broccoli soup this weekend before I
go have this done next week. And I'll take ibuprofen as needed for
discomfort.

Jill

[email protected][_2_] 04-08-2018 06:18 PM

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 5:43:36 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > On Monday, July 30, 2018 at 5:05:31 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> I almost always use cash for groceries. Although I still have a stockpile
> >> of
> >> non-perishables, it's much smaller than it used to be. I am totally in
> >> charge of the money now. So no fears that there will be nothing left to
> >> buy
> >> food. I know how to budget. I do still stock up when I find good sales.
> >> Mainly on beans and rice as that is the bulk of our diet now.
> >>
> >> I try to be more flexible with meals, basing them on whatever fresh
> >> produce
> >> and meat I can find for a good price. Once in a while, I will make a
> >> specific meal that someone wants and pay no mind to the cost.
> >>
> >> I buy what I can at Costco. Got a huge bag of tamales. Really cheap and
> >> enough for three big meals. I also grow some produce.
> >>
> >> I usually try for no leftovers. Unless they are planned. If I decide to
> >> make
> >> fried rice, I cook extra so I will have that. I might cook a big pot of
> >> beans and use them over the course of a few days.
> >>
> >> I do put small bags of plain rice and cooked meat in the freezer for the
> >> dog. Must lay off of the rice. That is building up in the freezer.
> >>
> >> I have very little food waste now. If I do have some wilted produce or
> >> extra
> >> slices of bread, my gardener takes them for his goat. He is also welcome
> >> all of the apples and pears. Mostly what I have are veggie scraps like
> >> ends
> >> and peels and once in a while something that got smashed or spoiled
> >> before I
> >> thought it would.

> > You could have used a few more I's there, Ju-Ju.

> How about I focus on you? As in... **** you! :):):)
>
> Happy now?

Get in line!

dsi1[_17_] 04-08-2018 06:19 PM

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 6:07:51 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have had three. The first was a piece of cake. The second one was more
> involved and I had to go to an endontist. It was an ordeal. There was no
> real pain, but there was discomfort keeping my mouth open for so long
> and gagging and choking with that dental dam in my mouth. Then he
> discovered that the tooth was cracked and did not want to proceed, so I
> ended up going to a dental surgeon to have it pulled.
>
> The next time I went was for a molar with five roots. I got sedated. I
> recommend that. I went in early and was given a pill and some magazines.
> I read for a whole, looked at pictures for a while, flipped pages for a
> while. Then the endondist came in and got started. Along the way I
> felt some pain but did not care. Then she said we were almost done. It
> felt like the procedure had lasted maybe 20 minutes. My wife was in the
> waiting room and said it had been 2 1/2 hours.

Sounds like a lot of fun! I went to the dentist yesterday. He had a big SLR camera and was taking a lot of pictures. Then he took impressions and then he had some gizmo that had pieces that went into my ears and on my nose and teeth to get some jaw metrics. That was the weirdest trip to the dentist ever. :)

[email protected][_2_] 04-08-2018 06:23 PM

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 11:07:51 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have had three. The first was a piece of cake. The second one was more
> involved and I had to go to an endontist. It was an ordeal. There was no
> real pain, but there was discomfort keeping my mouth open for so long
> and gagging and choking with that dental dam in my mouth. Then he
> discovered that the tooth was cracked and did not want to proceed, so I
> ended up going to a dental surgeon to have it pulled.
>
> The next time I went was for a molar with five roots. I got sedated. I
> recommend that. I went in early and was given a pill and some magazines.
> I read for a whole, looked at pictures for a while, flipped pages for a
> while. Then the endondist came in and got started. Along the way I
> felt some pain but did not care. Then she said we were almost done. It
> felt like the procedure had lasted maybe 20 minutes. My wife was in the
> waiting room and said it had been 2 1/2 hours.

I had a bone graft done for an upper molar and took the pill before I
left the house. Once in the chair I was given gas and didn't feel a
thing and they could have taken my head off and I wouldn't have cared.
My time in the chair was about 2-3 hours as well and thankfully my
brother drove me there and back home.

Nancy Young[_9_] 04-08-2018 06:23 PM

On 8/4/2018 11:36 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Yeah, it's not going to be fun.Â* I'm sure I'll be taking a lot of
> ibuprofen.Â* Maybe I'll just plan on a nice creamed soup. :)

When I had wisdom teeth pulled, I took Advil beforehand. Better
to avoid the pain rather than trying to get rid of it later.

nancy

Nancy Young[_9_] 04-08-2018 06:39 PM

Trick for keeping food fresh....

On 7/29/2018 10:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Groceries aside, decluttering is good.Â* Getting redy to move, I've not
> sold anything but have given away a lot of stuff we don't need and have
> not used for a long time.Â* Much went to the Salvation Army Thrift store.

I was contemplating a move away from this area at one time and looked
around and thought how much I would bother taking with me. It costs
money to move furniture. Never mind books or other non-sentimental
stuff.

> Some items just went to the curb and scavengers took it away.Â* Funny how
> fast some stuff goes, some shelving was gone in less than five minutes
> and we are not on a buys street.

That would make me happy. I would even rather have a 'sale' where
people can come take what I don't want to move, just to get rid of
it. Just take it.

> We eat leftovers and I try to get a maximum of another dinner and a
> lunch from them.Â* Too much gets boring.Â* Exceptions are lasagna as if
> freezes well.Â* Nice to have a ready made meal some nights.

Ditto stuffed peppers, chili, sauce. Not everything is something I
like leftover. I don't like leftover steak or pork chops, for
instance.

nancy

jmcquown[_2_] 04-08-2018 07:09 PM

On 8/4/2018 1:23 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 11:36 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Yeah, it's not going to be fun.Â* I'm sure I'll be taking a lot of
>> ibuprofen.Â* Maybe I'll just plan on a nice creamed soup. :)

> When I had wisdom teeth pulled, I took Advil beforehand.Â* Better
> to avoid the pain rather than trying to get rid of it later.
>
> nancy

I never had wisdom teeth. Not everyone does. The dentist before the
last root canal told me to take 600 mg. of ibuprofen. Three 200 mg.
tablets. The label on generic Advil says take two 200 mg. tablets.
Take three, you're back up to the same as a prescription dose. It
worked when that tooth (before the last root canal) was killing me. I
didn't want an opiod or any other sort of prescription pain reliever.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 04-08-2018 07:17 PM

On 8/4/2018 1:23 PM, wrote:
> On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 11:07:51 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I have had three. The first was a piece of cake. The second one was more
>> involved and I had to go to an endontist. It was an ordeal. There was no
>> real pain, but there was discomfort keeping my mouth open for so long
>> and gagging and choking with that dental dam in my mouth. Then he
>> discovered that the tooth was cracked and did not want to proceed, so I
>> ended up going to a dental surgeon to have it pulled.
>>
>> The next time I went was for a molar with five roots. I got sedated. I
>> recommend that. I went in early and was given a pill and some magazines.
>> I read for a whole, looked at pictures for a while, flipped pages for a
>> while. Then the endondist came in and got started. Along the way I
>> felt some pain but did not care. Then she said we were almost done. It
>> felt like the procedure had lasted maybe 20 minutes. My wife was in the
>> waiting room and said it had been 2 1/2 hours.
>>

> I had a bone graft done for an upper molar and took the pill before I
> left the house. Once in the chair I was given gas and didn't feel a
> thing and they could have taken my head off and I wouldn't have cared.
> My time in the chair was about 2-3 hours as well and thankfully my
> brother drove me there and back home.

I'm not sure they use nitrous oxide gas anymore but I sure remember that
when I was younger. I hate to get shots in my gums. Once I had a few
whifs of that gas I didn't what needle they used. LOL

They gave me regulated oxygen to reverse the process and made sure I sat
there long enough be over the gas so I could drive home. These days
it's probably illegal. I do know I felt fine, not at all light headed.
My gumbs and mouth were still numb from the shots, though. Couldn't
talk clearly and please don't ask me to drink a cup of anything without
dribbling. LOL

Jill

[email protected][_2_] 04-08-2018 07:47 PM

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 1:17:23 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> On 8/4/2018 1:23 PM, wrote:
> >
> > I had a bone graft done for an upper molar and took the pill before I
> > left the house. Once in the chair I was given gas and didn't feel a
> > thing and they could have taken my head off and I wouldn't have cared.
> > My time in the chair was about 2-3 hours as well and thankfully my
> > brother drove me there and back home.
> >

> I'm not sure they use nitrous oxide gas anymore but I sure remember that
> when I was younger. I hate to get shots in my gums. Once I had a few
> whifs of that gas I didn't what needle they used. LOL

I had my choice of the gas or an IV. They have such a hard time getting
a sample whenever I have lab work done I did not want to go through jab,
jab, jab, jab trying to find a vein that would not roll so I opted for gas.
It was also about $300 cheaper to not have the needle.

> They gave me regulated oxygen to reverse the process and made sure I sat
> there long enough be over the gas so I could drive home. These days
> it's probably illegal. I do know I felt fine, not at all light headed.
> My gumbs and mouth were still numb from the shots, though. Couldn't
> talk clearly and please don't ask me to drink a cup of anything without
> dribbling. LOL
>
> Jill

I felt fine once I was out from under the gas but I don't think I would
have been alert enough to drive myself home. Once home I did go to sleep
for about 5 hours. No pain at all and I was given a prescription for 800
mg. of ibuprofen but I only took one or two caplets to stave off any upcoming pain. No pain so I didn't take any more of that.

Dave Smith[_1_] 04-08-2018 07:48 PM

On 2018-08-04 12:15 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> The next time I went was for a molar with five roots. I got sedated. I
>> recommend that. I went in early and was given a pill and some
>> magazines. I read for a whole, looked at pictures for a while, flipped
>> pages for a while. Then the endondist came in andÂ* got started.Â* Along
>> the way I felt some pain but did not care. Then she said we were
>> almost done. It felt like the procedure hadÂ* lasted maybe 20 minutes.
>> My wife was in the waiting room and said it had been 2 1/2 hours.

> I hear you. I have had a lot of dental work, some really painful, some
> not really like my root canal. When dh had his wisdom teeth removed, he
> really didn't even want Advil for the pain. He did fill the prescription
> for Vicodin, but really only ever used that when his back acted up.
> Everyone is different.

I was disappointed by the hassle of the one that turned out to be
cracked and had to be pulled anyway, but I haven't really suffered from
any. My wife was not so lucky. She had the procedure in the morning,
came home and had a nap. When she woke up she was badly swollen and sore.

Nancy Young[_9_] 04-08-2018 07:59 PM

On 8/4/2018 2:09 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 1:23 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> When I had wisdom teeth pulled, I took Advil beforehand.Â* Better
>> to avoid the pain rather than trying to get rid of it later.

> I never had wisdom teeth.Â* Not everyone does.

Of course not, and I've never had a root canal, knock wood.

> The dentist before the
> last root canal told me to take 600 mg. of ibuprofen.Â* Three 200 mg.
> tablets.Â* The label on generic Advil says take two 200 mg. tablets. Take
> three, you're back up to the same as a prescription dose.Â* It worked
> when that tooth (before the last root canal) was killing me.Â* I didn't
> want an opiod or any other sort of prescription pain reliever.

Dentists are being advised to stop handing out Vicodin as a matter
of course. One Advil before the procedure helped, and I only took
what I needed afterwards. Which for me was maybe only one more
tablet.

nancy

Nancy Young[_9_] 04-08-2018 08:01 PM

On 8/4/2018 2:23 PM, Cheri wrote:

> I figure it's a fair trade since they get the house free and clear. That
> will pay for a lot of trash hauling as well as pizza and beer for the
> helpers. I have given my "valuables" (to me) to my kids already.

If I wasn't responsible for my brother's getting a share I would have
given the place to charity. Was not worth it to me, all that work and
aggravation.

nancy

Druce 04-08-2018 08:05 PM

Trick for keeping food fresh....

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 15:03:25 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>You should see my wife's friend's house. She and her brother inherited
>the family home and she lived there for a while but now stays in it only
>once in a while on weekends. He mother was a pack rat and she and her
>brother inherited the trait. She moved in after her mother died and the
>plan was to get rid of all her mother's junk. That was about 10 years
>ago. I don't think that much has left the house but a lot more has ended
>up in there. One time she had to come down and clear a path through
>the halls because an assessor or something was coming to look at the
>house.
>
>There had been an old camper trailer in the driveway for years. A tree
>fell on it and flattened it. The tree was removed and the squashed
>trailer sat there for a couple years. They finally got rid of that, but
>then her car was dying, so she got a new one and parked the old one
>where the trailer had been. Now there is a utility trailer full of wood
>sitting there, along with a collection of blue and grey recycling bins
>that have never moved.

Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Dave Smith[_1_] 04-08-2018 08:22 PM

On 2018-08-04 3:01 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 2:23 PM, Cheri wrote:
>
>> I figure it's a fair trade since they get the house free and clear.
>> That will pay for a lot of trash hauling as well as pizza and beer for
>> the helpers. I have given my "valuables" (to me) to my kids already.

> If I wasn't responsible for my brother's getting a share I would have
> given the place to charity.Â* Was not worth it to me, all that work and
> aggravation.

Could your brother not have been responsible for getting what he wanted
out of it, which would have meant helping you out? When my sold the
house and moved to a condo she told my brothers and I to come and get
whatever we wanted because she had to get rid of a lot and was counting
on us to empty the house of everything but what she needed for the
condo. The oldest, the only one who lived in the same city, never
showed up to help. When the youngest, who lives almost three hours away,
came to get what he wanted and to help, he called the oldest three
times. He kept saying he was just leaving, but he never showed up.

Months later his wife whined that he never got his fair share of our
father's estate. Tough shit. It wasn't willed to him. Everything had
been willed to our mother. She had given him a chance to come and get
what he wanted and he had been asked to help her clear the place out so
she could move.

Druce 04-08-2018 08:26 PM

Trick for keeping food fresh....

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 15:22:49 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Could your brother not have been responsible for getting what he wanted
>out of it, which would have meant helping you out? When my sold the
>house and moved to a condo she told my brothers and I to come and get
>whatever we wanted because she had to get rid of a lot and was counting
>on us to empty the house of everything but what she needed for the
>condo. The oldest, the only one who lived in the same city, never
>showed up to help. When the youngest, who lives almost three hours away,
>came to get what he wanted and to help, he called the oldest three
>times. He kept saying he was just leaving, but he never showed up.
>
>Months later his wife whined that he never got his fair share of our
>father's estate. Tough shit. It wasn't willed to him. Everything had
>been willed to our mother. She had given him a chance to come and get
>what he wanted and he had been asked to help her clear the place out so
>she could move.

Bitch, bitch, bitch.

Nancy Young[_9_] 04-08-2018 08:34 PM

On 8/4/2018 3:22 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-08-04 3:01 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> If I wasn't responsible for my brother's getting a share I would have
>> given the place to charity.Â* Was not worth it to me, all that work and
>> aggravation.

> Could your brother not have been responsible for getting what he wanted
> out of it, which would have meant helping you out?

I misused the apostrophe. It is 3 brothers. The things you learn
about people, I didn't know. Turns out 2 of us are Get It Done and
2 of us ... aren't. Too bad the one I needed the most lives over the
ocean and couldn't stay here for a couple of months to help out.

> When my sold the
> house and moved to a condo she told my brothers and I to come and get
> whatever we wanted because she had to get rid of a lot and was counting
> on us to empty the house of everything but what she needed for the
> condo.Â* The oldest, the only one who lived in the same city, never
> showed up to help. When the youngest, who lives almost three hours away,
> came to get what he wanted and to help, he called the oldest three
> times. He kept saying he was just leaving, but he never showed up.

Yeah, all of this sounds way too familiar. Oh, well, it's kind of
a truism that this kind of thing tends to fall on one of the kids,
why not me.

> Months later his wife whined that he never got his fair share of our
> father's estate. Tough shit. It wasn't willed to him. Everything had
> been willed to our mother. She had given him a chance to come and get
> what he wanted and he had been asked to help her clear the place out so
> she could move.

I'm pretty sure no one needs to ask me why they didn't get something,
especially as I hired people to deliver furniture to them as well as
packing up stuff and dropping it off.

nancy

Ed Pawlowski 04-08-2018 09:43 PM

On 8/4/2018 2:59 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> Dentists are being advised to stop handing out Vicodin as a matter
> of course.Â* One Advil before the procedure helped, and I only took
> what I needed afterwards.Â* Which for me was maybe only one more
> tablet.
>
> nancy

My daughter managed a dental practice and they did not prescribe it. A
young man came in one day about noon and asked, since he had a late
appointment could he get his prescription now so it can be filled when
he needed the pain killers later. She explained that no, not possible.
He reached over and grabbed her. Instead of seeing the dentist, he
spent a couple of months in jail.

[email protected][_2_] 04-08-2018 10:16 PM

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 3:43:31 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> My daughter managed a dental practice and they did not prescribe it. A
> young man came in one day about noon and asked, since he had a late
> appointment could he get his prescription now so it can be filled when
> he needed the pain killers later. She explained that no, not possible.
> He reached over and grabbed her. Instead of seeing the dentist, he
> spent a couple of months in jail.

That's good, that's good. That time in jail gave him time to beat his
addiction to pain killers.

Dave Smith[_1_] 04-08-2018 10:23 PM

On 2018-08-04 3:25 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 3:03 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> There had been an old camper trailer in the driveway for years. A tree
>> fell on it and flattened it. The tree was removed and the squashed
>> trailer sat there for a couple years.Â* They finally got rid of that,
>> but then her car was dying, so she got a new one and parked the old
>> one where the trailer had been. Now there is a utility trailer full of
>> wood sitting there, along with a collection of blue and grey recycling
>> bins that have never moved.

> I don't think you can help people like that unless perhaps with some
> medication.Â* All I can say is thank goodness they don't live by me,
> the junk outside would grate my last nerve.

When we moved out here we were torn between two houses, this one and
another around the corner, about a mile away. I am happy with my choice
because the neighbour to the other one was a major yard slob. He had
the corner lot and the section of it that abutted that other choice
became his junk storage yard. There were a couple rotten old boats, a
couple scrap lawn tractors and several old cars and pickups not even on
blocks.