Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trick for keeping food fresh....

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 17:23:06 -0500, heyjoe >
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 20:30:18 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> There are a fair number in my bozo bin, yetthey still
>> manae to get out again and again.

>Then you need to improve your filters, both on the computer and in your
>mind. OTOH, on those days when things are slow and you're bored beyond
>belief, have at it . . . but remember what Mark Twain said, "Never
>argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

And:
"Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even
if you win, you're still retarded."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread pudding (WAS: Trick for keeping food fresh....)

On 8/10/2018 5:42 PM, wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:17:06 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 2:28:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>>
>>> Without something like the raisins, I would find it too bland, they
>>> are in there for a reason.
>>>

>> My mother's bread pudding (which we called cold biscuit pudding) never
>> had raisin or any 'sauce.' First time I had it with a sauce I thought
>> "what's this, why a sauce?" I do find some people get a bit too heavy
>> with the cinnamon. Maybe that's why they think it needs a sauce to cut
>> the over abundance of cinnamon.

> I use a recipe passed on to me by my aunt who cut it out of a
> newspaper circa 1946 because it said 'Come on, time to treat the
> family a bit!' We all love it and my sons-in-law give it rave
> reviews
>
> 6oz raisins - soaked in rum
> 8 thin slices of white bread
> 2 oz. unsalted butter
> 4 oz . apricot jam
> 10.oz full milk
> 10.oz blend
> 3 lge eggs
> Caster Sugar (fine sugar used in England, I just use regular sugar)
> Vanilla
>
> Butter the slices of bread, spread with apricot jam, cut off crusts
> and cut into quarters.
>
> Place in dish. Sprinkle the raisins over sandwiches.
>
> Beat the eggs - Heat the milk, sugar and vanilla. When hot, add a
> little very slowly to the egg mixture until it is all combined.
>
> Pour over the sandwiches and bake in a 325 deg oven for appx. 45mins.
> to an hour.
>
> (The baking dish should be placed in a larger dish with water reaching
> up at least half way)
>
> Best served warm, but not hot.

I'll save this one, too. Thanks lucretia.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-10 3:42 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:17:06 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 2:28:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>>
>>> Without something like the raisins, I would find it too bland, they
>>> are in there for a reason.
>>>

>> My mother's bread pudding (which we called cold biscuit pudding) never
>> had raisin or any 'sauce.' First time I had it with a sauce I thought
>> "what's this, why a sauce?" I do find some people get a bit too heavy
>> with the cinnamon. Maybe that's why they think it needs a sauce to cut
>> the over abundance of cinnamon.

> I think there are two kind of people. Those that are cinnamon nuts
> and those who are o.k. with a bit of cinnamon.

Agreed!! When called for in a recipe, I always cut it by 50-75%.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-10 3:42 PM, wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:17:06 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 2:28:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>>
>>> Without something like the raisins, I would find it too bland, they
>>> are in there for a reason.
>>>

>> My mother's bread pudding (which we called cold biscuit pudding) never
>> had raisin or any 'sauce.' First time I had it with a sauce I thought
>> "what's this, why a sauce?" I do find some people get a bit too heavy
>> with the cinnamon. Maybe that's why they think it needs a sauce to cut
>> the over abundance of cinnamon.

> I use a recipe passed on to me by my aunt who cut it out of a
> newspaper circa 1946 because it said 'Come on, time to treat the
> family a bit!' We all love it and my sons-in-law give it rave
> reviews
>
> 6oz raisins - soaked in rum
> 8 thin slices of white bread
> 2 oz. unsalted butter
> 4 oz . apricot jam
> 10.oz full milk
> 10.oz blend
> 3 lge eggs
> Caster Sugar (fine sugar used in England, I just use regular sugar)
> Vanilla
>
> Butter the slices of bread, spread with apricot jam, cut off crusts
> and cut into quarters.
>
> Place in dish. Sprinkle the raisins over sandwiches.
>
> Beat the eggs - Heat the milk, sugar and vanilla. When hot, add a
> little very slowly to the egg mixture until it is all combined.
>
> Pour over the sandwiches and bake in a 325 deg oven for appx. 45mins.
> to an hour.
>
> (The baking dish should be placed in a larger dish with water reaching
> up at least half way)
>
> Best served warm, but not hot.

I put a layer of caramel over the bottom of the dish before adding the
bread etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default FORGER! LOSER!

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 8/10/2018 10:31 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> on 8/10/2018, Wayne Boatwright supposed :
>>> On Thu 09 Aug 2018 08:41:27a, Cheri told us...

>>> Also good with a boiled custard sauce.
>>>

>> Is that anything like a *** infested puss bubble?

> Get a life, asshole.
>
> Jill

This troll is using Thundernews whose policy is:

Forging Posts
Falsifying headers in any way is a very serious offense and will lead to
account termination. Examples of falsifying headers include modifying
headers: to obscure the originating server, to look like a follow-up post,
to attribute a message to someone else or to indicate moderator approval of
a message.

Subject: Trick for keeping food fresh....
From: jmcquown >

23>
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 10:31:15 -0400

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 01:59:22 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 10 Aug 2018 03:23:06p, heyjoe told us...
>
>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 20:30:18 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> There are a fair number in my bozo bin, yet they still manage to
>>> get out again and again.

>> Then you need to improve your filters, both on the computer and in
>> your mind. OTOH, on those days when things are slow and you're
>> bored beyond belief, have at it . . . but remember what Mark
>> Twain said, "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to
>> tell the difference."
>>

>This afternoon I did add several "fools" to my score file. That
>works for domains only, but is fiddly to work with. The bozo bin is
>easy to work with. We'll see how that works out.

Keep us informed, Wayne!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 17:23:41 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-08-10 3:42 PM, wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:17:06 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> My mother's bread pudding (which we called cold biscuit pudding) never
>>> had raisin or any 'sauce.' First time I had it with a sauce I thought
>>> "what's this, why a sauce?" I do find some people get a bit too heavy
>>> with the cinnamon. Maybe that's why they think it needs a sauce to cut
>>> the over abundance of cinnamon.

>> I use a recipe passed on to me by my aunt who cut it out of a
>> newspaper circa 1946 because it said 'Come on, time to treat the
>> family a bit!' We all love it and my sons-in-law give it rave
>> reviews
>>
>> 6oz raisins - soaked in rum
>> 8 thin slices of white bread
>> 2 oz. unsalted butter
>> 4 oz . apricot jam
>> 10.oz full milk
>> 10.oz blend
>> 3 lge eggs
>> Caster Sugar (fine sugar used in England, I just use regular sugar)
>> Vanilla
>>
>> Butter the slices of bread, spread with apricot jam, cut off crusts
>> and cut into quarters.
>>
>> Place in dish. Sprinkle the raisins over sandwiches.
>>
>> Beat the eggs - Heat the milk, sugar and vanilla. When hot, add a
>> little very slowly to the egg mixture until it is all combined.
>>
>> Pour over the sandwiches and bake in a 325 deg oven for appx. 45mins.
>> to an hour.
>>
>> (The baking dish should be placed in a larger dish with water reaching
>> up at least half way)
>>
>> Best served warm, but not hot.
>>

>I put a layer of caramel over the bottom of the dish before adding the
>bread etc.

That would be nice, sort of gilding the lily
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 02:24:47 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 10 Aug 2018 02:42:55p, told us...
>
>> On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:17:06 -0700 (PDT),
>> " > wrote:

>>>My mother's bread pudding (which we called cold biscuit pudding)
>>>never had raisin or any 'sauce.' First time I had it with a sauce
>>>I thought "what's this, why a sauce?" I do find some people get a
>>>bit too heavy with the cinnamon. Maybe that's why they think it
>>>needs a sauce to cut the over abundance of cinnamon.

>> I use a recipe passed on to me by my aunt who cut it out of a
>> newspaper circa 1946 because it said 'Come on, time to treat the
>> family a bit!' We all love it and my sons-in-law give it rave
>> reviews
>>
>> 6oz raisins - soaked in rum
>> 8 thin slices of white bread
>> 2 oz. unsalted butter
>> 4 oz . apricot jam
>> 10.oz full milk
>> 10.oz blend
>> 3 lge eggs
>> Caster Sugar (fine sugar used in England, I just use regular
>> sugar) Vanilla
>>
>> Butter the slices of bread, spread with apricot jam, cut off
>> crusts and cut into quarters.
>>
>> Place in dish. Sprinkle the raisins over sandwiches.
>>
>> Beat the eggs - Heat the milk, sugar and vanilla. When hot, add a
>> little very slowly to the egg mixture until it is all combined.
>>
>> Pour over the sandwiches and bake in a 325 deg oven for appx.
>> 45mins. to an hour.
>>
>> (The baking dish should be placed in a larger dish with water
>> reaching up at least half way)
>>
>> Best served warm, but not hot.
>>

>Sounds delicious, but pardon my ignorance...what is "blend"?

50/50 milk and cream - they sell it here as Blend or sometimes Coffee
Cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2018 7:14 AM, wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 02:24:47 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri 10 Aug 2018 02:42:55p, told us...

>>> I use a recipe passed on to me by my aunt who cut it out of a
>>> newspaper circa 1946 because it said 'Come on, time to treat the
>>> family a bit!' We all love it and my sons-in-law give it rave
>>> reviews
>>>
>>> 6oz raisins - soaked in rum
>>> 8 thin slices of white bread
>>> 2 oz. unsalted butter
>>> 4 oz . apricot jam
>>> 10.oz full milk
>>> 10.oz blend
>>> 3 lge eggs
>>> Caster Sugar (fine sugar used in England, I just use regular
>>> sugar) Vanilla
>>>
>>> Butter the slices of bread, spread with apricot jam, cut off
>>> crusts and cut into quarters.
>>>
>>> Place in dish. Sprinkle the raisins over sandwiches.
>>>
>>> Beat the eggs - Heat the milk, sugar and vanilla. When hot, add a
>>> little very slowly to the egg mixture until it is all combined.
>>>
>>> Pour over the sandwiches and bake in a 325 deg oven for appx.
>>> 45mins. to an hour.
>>>
>>> (The baking dish should be placed in a larger dish with water
>>> reaching up at least half way)
>>>
>>> Best served warm, but not hot.
>>>

>> Sounds delicious, but pardon my ignorance...what is "blend"?

> 50/50 milk and cream - they sell it here as Blend or sometimes Coffee
> Cream.

I'd never heard that term before! I think we call it half & half in the US.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:17:06 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 2:28:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
>>
>> Without something like the raisins, I would find it too bland, they
>> are in there for a reason.
>>

>My mother's bread pudding (which we called cold biscuit pudding) never
>had raisin or any 'sauce.' First time I had it with a sauce I thought
>"what's this, why a sauce?" I do find some people get a bit too heavy
>with the cinnamon. Maybe that's why they think it needs a sauce to cut
>the over abundance of cinnamon.

I think there are two kind of people. Those that are cinnamon nuts
and those who are o.k. with a bit of cinnamon.

==

And then there is us! We really dislike it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 16:27:13 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 11 Aug 2018 04:14:23a, told us...
>
>> On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 02:24:47 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri 10 Aug 2018 02:42:55p, told us...

>>>Sounds delicious, but pardon my ignorance...what is "blend"?

>> 50/50 milk and cream - they sell it here as Blend or sometimes
>> Coffee Cream.
>>

>Thanks. In the US it's callled Half-and-Half.
>
>BTW, Lucretia,m that sounds delicious. Unless I use some other
>fruit, I always put raisins in my bread pudding. I've used "sweet
>orange marmalade" before, but not apricot jam. I just try that.
>
>I really love apricots in baking. From my mother and grandmother, I
>make fried pies usually with apricot filling. I cook dried apricots
>with a bit of water, mash well and sweeten to taste. The pies are
>saucer sized, folded in half, then fried on both sides and laid on
>paper towels on a plate in a warm oven 'til serving, or served cold..
>Some folks who like them sweeter might drizzle with maple syrup or
>sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

I use whatever jam comes to hand I must admit, preference is for
apricot though. I do like the pud but for some reason men always seem
to love it more than us females. I think with the younger SIL it is
likely because he came from PEI farming stock and his mother died when
he was about 10, so perhaps it is strumming some memory chords for
him.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 15:28:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:17:06 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:
>
>>My mother's bread pudding (which we called cold biscuit pudding) never
>>had raisin or any 'sauce.' First time I had it with a sauce I thought
>>"what's this, why a sauce?" I do find some people get a bit too heavy
>>with the cinnamon. Maybe that's why they think it needs a sauce to cut
>>the over abundance of cinnamon.

>I think there are two kind of people. Those that are cinnamon nuts
>and those who are o.k. with a bit of cinnamon.
>
>==
>
>And then there is us! We really dislike it

Of course you do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 6:16:36 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> And then there is us! We really dislike it

Cinnamon is a popular spice in the US because it reminds us of the holidays.. You can't have pumpkin pie or ginger bread without the stuff. People will buy pumpkin pie, gingerbread, and apple cider, candles to infuse their houses with the smell of cinnamon. I have no idea what the Brits consider the smell of the holidays.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 17:12:58 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
snip

>We never had bread pudding like that at home. My first taste of it
>ws at The Commander's Palace in New Orleans.

It was on the menu there? I must have seen something else I liked
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-08-11 3:08 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 6:16:36 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> ==
>>
>> And then there is us! We really dislike it

> Cinnamon is a popular spice in the US because it reminds us of the
> holidays.

That is an interesting cause and effect. Dare I suggest that the reason
it is used for holiday cooking is that people like it?

>You can't have pumpkin pie or ginger bread without the
> stuff. People will buy pumpkin pie, gingerbread, and apple cider,
> candles to infuse their houses with the smell of cinnamon. I have no
> idea what the Brits consider the smell of the holidays.

Think about the strange concept that the US was founded by the British
and they brought they food culture with them.