Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Salad Cream: Heinz 'considers Sandwich Cream re-brand' (BBC)

As if the UK's plate wasn't already full enough what with the Brexit
date looming and all...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44373387

"There is now a consultation under way on the new name and an official
announcement is expected in September."

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats

--
Bob
St Francis would have done better to preach to the cats
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:05:59 PM UTC-5, Opinicus wrote:

> As if the UK's plate wasn't already full enough what with the Brexit
> date looming and all...
>
> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44373387
>
> "There is now a consultation under way on the new name and an official
> announcement is expected in September."

Is that what we term mayonnaise or salad dressing here in the USA?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 20:10:07 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:05:59 PM UTC-5, Opinicus wrote:
>>
>> As if the UK's plate wasn't already full enough what with the Brexit
>> date looming and all...
>>
>> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44373387
>>
>> "There is now a consultation under way on the new name and an official
>> announcement is expected in September."
>>

>Is that what we term mayonnaise or salad dressing here in the USA?

Do you put this in mayonaise?

"Spirit Vinegar, Canola Oil, Water, Sugar, Mustard, Salt, Egg Yolks,
Modified Corn Flour, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Colored with Riboflavin."

There's that xanthan gum again. So that explains Trump AND the Brexit!
It's bad for the brain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 2:55:49 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 20:10:07 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:05:59 PM UTC-5, Opinicus wrote:
> >>
> >> As if the UK's plate wasn't already full enough what with the Brexit
> >> date looming and all...
> >>
> >> https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44373387
> >>
> >> "There is now a consultation under way on the new name and an official
> >> announcement is expected in September."
> >>

> >Is that what we term mayonnaise or salad dressing here in the USA?

> Do you put this in mayonaise?
>
> "Spirit Vinegar, Canola Oil, Water, Sugar, Mustard, Salt, Egg Yolks,
> Modified Corn Flour, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Colored with Riboflavin."
>
> There's that xanthan gum again. So that explains Trump AND the Brexit!
> It's bad for the brain.

Sounds like Miracle Whip:

water, soybean oil, high-fructose corn syrup, vinegar, modified corn starch, eggs, salt, natural flavor, mustard flour, potassium sorbate, paprika, spice, and dried garlic

Maybe a little more mustardy

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 03:34:22 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 2:55:49 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 20:10:07 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>> >Is that what we term mayonnaise or salad dressing here in the USA?

>> Do you put this in mayonaise?
>>
>> "Spirit Vinegar, Canola Oil, Water, Sugar, Mustard, Salt, Egg Yolks,
>> Modified Corn Flour, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Colored with Riboflavin."
>>
>> There's that xanthan gum again. So that explains Trump AND the Brexit!
>> It's bad for the brain.

>Sounds like Miracle Whip:
>
>water, soybean oil, high-fructose corn syrup, vinegar, modified corn starch, eggs, salt, natural flavor, mustard flour, potassium sorbate, paprika, spice, and dried garlic
>
>Maybe a little more mustardy

Oh well, to each side of the pond their own science projects.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:05:59 PM UTC-5, Opinicus wrote:
> >
> > As if the UK's plate wasn't already full enough what with the Brexit
> > date looming and all...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44373387

> > "There is now a consultation under way on the new name and an official
> > announcement is expected in September."
> >

> Is that what we term mayonnaise or salad dressing here in the USA?

It's not what Brit cooks term mayonnaise, or salad dressing. It's
ersatz junkfood, the sort of stuff a non-cook adds to their tasteless
bland readymade crap to lubricate swallowing it.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 12:13:59 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:05:59 PM UTC-5, Opinicus wrote:
>> >
>> > As if the UK's plate wasn't already full enough what with the Brexit
>> > date looming and all...
>> >
>> > https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44373387
>> >
>> > "There is now a consultation under way on the new name and an official
>> > announcement is expected in September."
>> >

>> Is that what we term mayonnaise or salad dressing here in the USA?

> It's not what Brit cooks term mayonnaise, or salad dressing. It's
>ersatz junkfood, the sort of stuff a non-cook adds to their tasteless
>bland readymade crap to lubricate swallowing it.

But it's "one of the UK's most traditional condiments"!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Does anybody know anybody who used Miracle Whip straight out of the
> jar on salads? (Please don't say you do unless this is your last
> post ever to RFC).

Not straight out of the jar but when I was a kid, that's all my
mom ever bought. It was spread straight on sandwiches and mixed
with ketchup for salads. Once I got out on my own (age 20) I
switched to mayo. I still like mayo and ketchup for salad
dressing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> I still like mayo and ketchup for salad dressing.

Add a thousand pickle bits and you get what?

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article >, Gary > wrote:
>
> > I still like mayo and ketchup for salad dressing.

> Add a thousand pickle bits and you get what?
>
> leo

Yep. that's good too. I keep italian salad dressing on hand to
put on sandwiches often...especially like a sub sandwich. Just
that will take a sandwich over the top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 4:02:12 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> >
> > In article >, Gary > wrote:
> >
> > > I still like mayo and ketchup for salad dressing.

> > Add a thousand pickle bits and you get what?
> >
> > leo

> Yep. that's good too. I keep italian salad dressing on hand to
> put on sandwiches often...especially like a sub sandwich. Just
> that will take a sandwich over the top.

When I make a sub sandwich at home, I sprinkle on some oregano and
drizzle with red wine vinegar and EVOO. We don't keep any bottled
salad dressing, but I have some Hidden Valley Ranch mix to add
to yogurt when I want a little veggie dip.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 13:06:18 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 4:02:12 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:

>> > Add a thousand pickle bits and you get what?
>> >
>> > leo

>> Yep. that's good too. I keep italian salad dressing on hand to
>> put on sandwiches often...especially like a sub sandwich. Just
>> that will take a sandwich over the top.

>When I make a sub sandwich at home, I sprinkle on some oregano and
>drizzle with red wine vinegar and EVOO. We don't keep any bottled
>salad dressing, but I have some Hidden Valley Ranch mix to add
>to yogurt when I want a little veggie dip.

Hidden Valley Dressing, Ranch:
"Soybean Oil, Water, Egg Yolk, Sugar, Salt, Cultures Nonfat
Buttermilk, Natural Flavors (Soy), Spices, Less than 1% of: Dried
Garlic, Dried Onion, Vinegar, Phosphoric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Modified
Food Starch, Monosodium Glutamate, Artificial Flavors, Disodium
Phosphates, Sorbic Acid and Calcium Disodium EDTA as Preservatives,
Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate."

I'm starting to think that all these products are actually the same.
That would be a big money saver for the industry. Just vary the
packaging and the advertising.