Dee Randall

Default Any brand recommendation on cream cheese

Other than the ubiquitous Philadelphia Cream Cheese, are there any brands
that anyone else prefers? The Philadelphia Cream Cheese is tasting a bit
sweet to me as of late and I need a change for a couple of recipes.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Peter Aitken

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Other than the ubiquitous Philadelphia Cream Cheese, are there any brands
> that anyone else prefers? The Philadelphia Cream Cheese is tasting a bit
> sweet to me as of late and I need a change for a couple of recipes.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Do you have a Whole Foods? They have at least a couple of other brands. I
cannot speak for them because I am a Philadelpia addict!

--
Peter Aitken

Desert Rainbow

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Other than the ubiquitous Philadelphia Cream Cheese, are there any

brands
> that anyone else prefers? The Philadelphia Cream Cheese is tasting

a bit
> sweet to me as of late and I need a change for a couple of recipes.

Honestly, they all taste the same to me. The only thing I ever noticed
that makes the flavor change is the length of time it has been in the
refrigerator after the package has been opened.

Chuck

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:23:28 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>Other than the ubiquitous Philadelphia Cream Cheese, are there any brands
>that anyone else prefers? The Philadelphia Cream Cheese is tasting a bit
>sweet to me as of late and I need a change for a couple of recipes.
>Thanks,
>Dee Dee

Two days ago purchased 30 packs of "Publix" store brand cream cheese..
Made 3 cheese cakes,, can't tell the difference.. on sale at 99
cents.. I don't eat cream cheese by itself.. so don't know on the
sweetness.
Chuck
Sheldon

Dee Randall wrote:
> Other than the ubiquitous Philadelphia Cream Cheese, are there any brands
> that anyone else prefers? The Philadelphia Cream Cheese is tasting a bit
> sweet to me as of late and I need a change for a couple of recipes.

Other than store brands I've never seen any other brand but Philly...
and guess who makes all the store brands.

Sheldon

~john

Sheldon wrote:

> Other than store brands I've never seen any other brand but Philly...
> and guess who makes all the store brands.

Kroger actually manufactures a majority of their store band food
items... The company I work for just landed a big contract setting up
some new facilities for them.

~john
Andy

Worst creat cheese: ACME brand!

Bought a carton, used a couple tablespoons worth. It sat in the fridge for
a week. I opened the wrapper and it had blue-purple mold streaks all over
it. Grossed me out for hours!

Andy
Roberta

Dee Randall wrote:
> Other than the ubiquitous Philadelphia Cream Cheese, are there any brands
> that anyone else prefers? The Philadelphia Cream Cheese is tasting a bit
> sweet to me as of late and I need a change for a couple of recipes.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

I use Cooper brand - I tried to find a link on the web for you...it
appears that they may be exclusive to military commissaries.
http://www.schreiberfoods.com/schrei...D=RetailBrands

that is at least how they started.

Roberta (in VA)
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 20 Sep 2005 04:39:48a, Roberta wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> Other than the ubiquitous Philadelphia Cream Cheese, are there any
>> brands that anyone else prefers? The Philadelphia Cream Cheese is
>> tasting a bit sweet to me as of late and I need a change for a couple
>> of recipes. Thanks,
>> Dee Dee
>>

> I use Cooper brand - I tried to find a link on the web for you...it
> appears that they may be exclusive to military commissaries.
> http://www.schreiberfoods.com/schrei...neral/brandsre
> tail.aspx?MenuID=RetailBrands
>
> that is at least how they started.
>
> Roberta (in VA)

I like Breakstone. I also like their sour cream, although one of our local
brands of sour cream is thicker.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 20 Sep 2005 01:51:46a, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Worst creat cheese: ACME brand!
>
> Bought a carton, used a couple tablespoons worth. It sat in the fridge for
> a week. I opened the wrapper and it had blue-purple mold streaks all over
> it. Grossed me out for hours!
>
> Andy

Guess you couldn't think of it as some sort of blue cheese? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Bob Myers

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .
> Worst creat cheese: ACME brand!
>
> Bought a carton, used a couple tablespoons worth. It sat in the fridge for
> a week. I opened the wrapper and it had blue-purple mold streaks all over
> it. Grossed me out for hours!

However, you should be able to sell the leftovers to
Wile E. Coyote.....:-)

Bob M.

djs0302

Sheldon wrote:
> Dee Randall wrote:
> > Other than the ubiquitous Philadelphia Cream Cheese, are there any brands
> > that anyone else prefers? The Philadelphia Cream Cheese is tasting a bit
> > sweet to me as of late and I need a change for a couple of recipes.

> Other than store brands I've never seen any other brand but Philly...
> and guess who makes all the store brands.
>
> Sheldon

I got some cream cheese from Aldi's last Christmas season to make
cheesecakes and a cheese ball. It was the worst cream cheese I've ever
had. The flavor was horrible and the texture was very grainy.

Andy

Bob Myers wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> .. .
>> Worst creat cheese: ACME brand!
>>
>> Bought a carton, used a couple tablespoons worth. It sat in the
>> fridge for a week. I opened the wrapper and it had blue-purple mold
>> streaks all over it. Grossed me out for hours!

> However, you should be able to sell the leftovers to
> Wile E. Coyote.....:-)

[groan]

Andy
MoM

"djs0302" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Sheldon wrote:
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>> > Other than the ubiquitous Philadelphia Cream Cheese, are there any
>> > brands
>> > that anyone else prefers? The Philadelphia Cream Cheese is tasting a
>> > bit
>> > sweet to me as of late and I need a change for a couple of recipes.

>> Other than store brands I've never seen any other brand but Philly...
>> and guess who makes all the store brands.
>>
>> Sheldon

> I got some cream cheese from Aldi's last Christmas season to make
> cheesecakes and a cheese ball. It was the worst cream cheese I've ever
> had. The flavor was horrible and the texture was very grainy.

I've tried Philly and the no-name in Canada as well as Pres Choice. I find
no difference in any of them.

MoM

Nancy Young

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .
> Bob Myers wrote:

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> Worst creat cheese: ACME brand!

>> However, you should be able to sell the leftovers to
>> Wile E. Coyote.....:-)

> [groan]

(laughing) That was funny.

My thing is, anything dairy, once it's been opened,
all bets are off. That goes for milk, cheese, anything
like that. I don't mess with it, use it soon or toss it.

nancy

~patches~

MoM wrote:

> "djs0302" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Sheldon wrote:

>>>Other than store brands I've never seen any other brand but Philly...
>>>and guess who makes all the store brands.
>>>
>>>Sheldon

>>I got some cream cheese from Aldi's last Christmas season to make
>>cheesecakes and a cheese ball. It was the worst cream cheese I've ever
>>had. The flavor was horrible and the texture was very grainy.
>>

> I've tried Philly and the no-name in Canada as well as Pres Choice. I find
> no difference in any of them.
>
> MoM

This is a *me too*. I end up buying what is on sale since I use the
block cream cheese and the spreadable. I was told by a person in the
industry that Canada has a certain standard that all cream cheeses must
meet and that is why there is no noticeable difference. I wasn't
interested enough to research this as all taste the same IME. OTOH I
notice just a slight difference between cream cheese sold in the US and
and Canada. Perhaps the there is a stronger difference between the
cream cheese brands in the US. We've noticed several slight differences
in taste in products made in the US vs. Canada. Most notably is rye.
Americans refer to rye as whiskey and according to DD it tastes very rough.

Other slight little differences - American bartenders look at you very
strange if you try ordering rye and pepsi but most in border areas know
what rye & CC is. Restaurants have a hard time with the concept of
vinegar as a condiment for fries too. Then there is that stuff that
looks like thin slices of round ham they try to pass off as Canadian
bacon when Canadians know peameal is the true Canadian bacon
Sheldon

~patches~ wrote:
> MoM wrote:
>
> > "djs0302" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

> >>I got some cream cheese from Aldi's last Christmas season to make
> >>cheesecakes and a cheese ball. It was the worst cream cheese I've ever
> >>had. The flavor was horrible and the texture was very grainy.
> >>

> > I've tried Philly and the no-name in Canada as well as Pres Choice. I find
> > no difference in any of them.
> >
> > MoM
> >

> This is a *me too*. I end up buying what is on sale since I use the
> block cream cheese and the spreadable. I was told by a person in the
> industry that Canada has a certain standard that all cream cheeses must
> meet and that is why there is no noticeable difference. I wasn't
> interested enough to research this as all taste the same IME. OTOH I
> notice just a slight difference between cream cheese sold in the US and
> and Canada. Perhaps the there is a stronger difference between the
> cream cheese brands in the US. We've noticed several slight differences
> in taste in products made in the US vs. Canada. Most notably is rye.
> Americans refer to rye as whiskey and according to DD it tastes very rough.
>
> Other slight little differences - American bartenders look at you very
> strange if you try ordering rye and pepsi but most in border areas know
> what rye & CC is. Restaurants have a hard time with the concept of
> vinegar as a condiment for fries too. Then there is that stuff that
> looks like thin slices of round ham they try to pass off as Canadian
> bacon when Canadians know peameal is the true Canadian bacon

You were doing pretty good until you got to the last part... Canadian
Bacon and Peameal Bacon are exactly the same cut, loin. Canadian bacon
is smoked, peameal is not... without being smoked I don't think it very
tasty. Peameal bacon hasn't actually been coated with peameal for many
years, it's cornmeal now. The peameal was used years ago when there
was no refrigeration, it protected the meat surface from mold...
nowadays it's unnecessary but still used for the sake of tradition, has
no real purpose anymore.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/data/recipes/peameal.htm

Sheldon

jmcquown

~john wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Other than store brands I've never seen any other brand but Philly...
>> and guess who makes all the store brands.

> Kroger actually manufactures a majority of their store band food
> items... The company I work for just landed a big contract setting up
> some new facilities for them.
>
> ~john

You know this to be a fact? Most "store brands" are bought from the
name-brand folks (like Kraft) with license to put the store name on the
packaging. The grocery stores don't generally have manufacturing plants.
Works that way with canned soups and other store brands, too.

Jill

djs0302

jmcquown wrote:
> ~john wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >
> >> Other than store brands I've never seen any other brand but Philly...
> >> and guess who makes all the store brands.

> > Kroger actually manufactures a majority of their store band food
> > items... The company I work for just landed a big contract setting up
> > some new facilities for them.
> >
> > ~john

> You know this to be a fact? Most "store brands" are bought from the
> name-brand folks (like Kraft) with license to put the store name on the
> packaging. The grocery stores don't generally have manufacturing plants.
> Works that way with canned soups and other store brands, too.
>
> Jill

I know it's a fact because I used to work for Kroger. I'm not sure
where all their manufacturing plants are located but I do know that
many of their store brand bakery goods are produced in a plant in
Bowling Green, KY.

Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> You know this to be a fact? Most "store brands" are bought from the
> name-brand folks (like Kraft) with license to put the store name on the
> packaging. The grocery stores don't generally have manufacturing plants.
> Works that way with canned soups and other store brands, too.

A lot of food products are like that. You can send the same produce to the
same same plant with the same assembly line and the same people working on
them, and the only thing different is the label that goes on at the end of
the line. There is a local fruit processing plant owned my a large
multinational. I have never seen the parent company's name on any of the
canned goods they produce, but they do can for other major corporations.
The father of a friend of mine had a small pop bottling company with their
own brand name. I was surprised to see that, in addition to a special brand
for a local convenience store chain, they were also bottling a national brand
of ginger ale.