Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheeseburger Pie

This is a blast from the past. The recipe used to be on the box of
Bisquick baking mix. My mom made this when I was a teenager and I made
it a few times when I was in my 20's. This is how I wrote it down way
back then:

Cheeseburger Pie

1 c. Bisquick baking mix
1/4 c. cold water
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. minced onion
1/2 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
2 Tbs. Bisquick
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 eggs
1 c. small curd cottage cheese
1 c. (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 375F. Mix 1 cup Bisquick and water to make a soft dough.
Beat 20 strokes. Place ball of dough on a lightly floured board. Knead
briefly. Roll out to 2 inches larger than a 9-inch pie plate. Ease
dough into the pie plate.

Brown the beef with onion; drain well. Stir in salt, pepper, 2 Tbs.
Bisquick and the Worcestershire sauce. Spoon meat mixture into crust.
Mix together eggs and cottage cheese. Pour over beef. Sprinkle cheddar
cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until set. Serves 6

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2018 2:28 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:
>> This is a blast from the past. The recipe used to be on the box of
>> Bisquick baking mix. My mom made this when I was a teenager and I made
>> it a few times when I was in my 20's. This is how I wrote it down way
>> back then:
>>
>> Cheeseburger Pie
>>
>> 1 c. Bisquick baking mix
>> 1/4 c. cold water
>> 1 lb. ground beef
>> 1/4 c. minced onion
>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>> dash of pepper
>> 2 Tbs. Bisquick
>> 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
>> 2 eggs
>> 1 c. small curd cottage cheese
>> 1 c. (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
>>
>> Heat oven to 375F. Mix 1 cup Bisquick and water to make a soft dough.
>> Beat 20 strokes. Place ball of dough on a lightly floured board. Knead
>> briefly. Roll out to 2 inches larger than a 9-inch pie plate. Ease
>> dough into the pie plate.
>>
>> Brown the beef with onion; drain well. Stir in salt, pepper, 2 Tbs.
>> Bisquick and the Worcestershire sauce. Spoon meat mixture into crust.
>> Mix together eggs and cottage cheese. Pour over beef. Sprinkle cheddar
>> cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until set. Serves 6
>>
>> Jill

> I wonder if you could make mini pies - put in muffin tins and they could
> be finger food appetizers

I don't see why not!

> I would leave out the 1/2 t salt

Well, the recipe is from the 1970's. I'd omit the salt, too. The
Worcestershire and the cheese have enough.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2018 2:10 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> I wonder if you could make mini pies - put in muffin tins and they could
>>> be finger food appetizers
>>>

>> I don't see why not!
>>
>>> I would leave out the 1/2 t salt
>>>

>> Well, the recipe is from the 1970's. I'd omit the salt, too. The
>> Worcestershire and the cheese have enough.
>>
>> Jill

> I would use twice the salt. Worchestershire and cheese would
> never provide enough salt. Don't be a baby, Jill.....salt is your
> friend.

I'm not afraid of salt. But I do know once you add it you cannot remove
it. You seem to think otherwise. Sorry, but sliced potatoes in an
over-salted recipe does not negate the saltiness.

Hell, Gary. I love salted potato chips. Salted nuts. I'm not afraid
of salt, but in some things it simply isn't necessary when there is
enough salt from the other ingredients. I've found that to be true with
this particular recipe. Okay with you?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2018 2:35 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Hell, Gary. I love salted potato chips. Salted nuts. I'm not afraid
>> of salt, but in some things it simply isn't necessary when there is
>> enough salt from the other ingredients. I've found that to be true with
>> this particular recipe. Okay with you?

> Oh all right...we're good, Jill. I'm just in a bit of an
> argumentative mood this afternoon. Just having a bit of fun and
> no offense intended here today... I do go for lot's of salt and
> even pepper in certain dishes. I'll have to send a blurry pic of
> my plated of french fries (that are to die for, for me) sometime.
> Most all will be horrified at how much pepper I use, rather than
> lame ketchup on fries. Seriously, my plate of fries are almost
> black. Love it.

That I wouldn't like. Pepper within reason. But black pepper all over
fried potatoes, no thanks.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/15/2018 2:28 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> > writes:
> >> This is a blast from the past. The recipe used to be on the box of
> >> Bisquick baking mix. My mom made this when I was a teenager and I made
> >> it a few times when I was in my 20's. This is how I wrote it down way
> >> back then:
> >>
> >> Cheeseburger Pie
> >>
> >> 1 c. Bisquick baking mix
> >> 1/4 c. cold water
> >> 1 lb. ground beef
> >> 1/4 c. minced onion
> >> 1/2 tsp. salt
> >> dash of pepper
> >> 2 Tbs. Bisquick
> >> 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
> >> 2 eggs
> >> 1 c. small curd cottage cheese
> >> 1 c. (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
> >>
> >> Heat oven to 375F. Mix 1 cup Bisquick and water to make a soft dough.
> >> Beat 20 strokes. Place ball of dough on a lightly floured board. Knead
> >> briefly. Roll out to 2 inches larger than a 9-inch pie plate. Ease
> >> dough into the pie plate.
> >>
> >> Brown the beef with onion; drain well. Stir in salt, pepper, 2 Tbs.
> >> Bisquick and the Worcestershire sauce. Spoon meat mixture into crust.
> >> Mix together eggs and cottage cheese. Pour over beef. Sprinkle cheddar
> >> cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until set. Serves 6
> >>
> >> Jill

> > I wonder if you could make mini pies - put in muffin tins and they could
> > be finger food appetizers
> >

> I don't see why not!
>
> > I would leave out the 1/2 t salt
> >

> Well, the recipe is from the 1970's. I'd omit the salt, too. The
> Worcestershire and the cheese have enough.
>
> Jill

I would use twice the salt. Worchestershire and cheese would
never provide enough salt. Don't be a baby, Jill.....salt is your
friend.
Posted to rec.food.cooking