Nancree

Default San Diego Cook-in Question (recipe for stuffed date/sausage, ???

Please, what was the much-mentioned hors d'oeuvre from this past spring's San
Diego Cook-In. It was a stuffed date, and had sausage, or bacon, and something
spicey, I think. Would appreciate info on this.

Thanks so much. Nancree

Koko

On 18 Nov 2004 01:14:05 GMT, onono (Nancree) wrote:

>Please, what was the much-mentioned hors d'oeuvre from this past spring's San
>Diego Cook-In. It was a stuffed date, and had sausage, or bacon, and something
>spicey, I think. Would appreciate info on this.
>
>Thanks so much. Nancree

I think this is what you are looking for

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Chorizo-Filled Dates In Bacon

appetizers

Fritos De Datiles Y Chorizo

First you fill a pitted date with chorizo sausage.

I've only been able to find the soft greasy chorizo, so I
cook the chorizo in a frying pan until it starts getting dark, then
drain off the fat.

Using a pastry bag fitted with a #12 cake decorators round tip makes
it easy to fill the dates, just be sure to not over fill.

If you are using a chorizo that is firm and can be cut, cut off the
ends of the chorizo and slice the sausage crosswise into 3 equal
pieces, about 3/4 inch each in length
(remove the skin if it is tough) Cut each of these pieces in half
lengthwise and in half again, to make a total of 12 "sticks" (If your
chorizo is thick, these pieces may be to large for the dates, in which
case cut in half again) Insert each chorizo piece into a date and
close the date around it.

Wrap a strip of bacon around each date. Secure, if necessary, with a
toothpick. (May be prepared ahead)
Place the wrapped dates in a skillet with the seam side of the bacon
down and saute until the bacon is golden. Turn and brown on the other
side. Drain on paper towels. You may now serve the dates, or proceed
to coat and fry them. If you are continuing, this step may also be
done in advance.
Wipe out the skillet, then heat the oil at least 1/2 inch deep to
about 380* F. Dust the dates with flour, then dip them into the egg
and immediately into the hot oil. Fry until golden, turning once. Or
better, use a deep-fryer. Drain and serve right away.

Source: Tapas: The Little Dishes of Spain

I don't usually go the extra step of flouring, etc...and re-frying
them.

Contributor: Chef Gregorio Camarero (Los Monteros Hotel Marbella,

Yield: 6 servings

Preparation Time: 0:00

Koko

A Yuman being on the net