Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Free Grapefriut

In article >,
says...

> On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 3:18:23 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:08:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> > .. .

> > >Heh! Years ago before I realized that I had issues with egg, I ordered
> > >crepes Suzette in a restaurant. They didn't seem to be real crepes. More
> > >like thin pancakes. I recreated this taste at home by making large, thin,
> > >pancakes and rolling them up around a filling of butter mixed with orange
> > >marmalade. Serve with maple syrup. Oh so good!
> > >
> > >Some marmalade is good. Some isn't.

> > But when you eat an orange, you'd never think of eating the skin.

When you kill a cow or chicken, it's the cooking that makes it tender
and tasty. Same with citrus peel.

> > Gross, yuck, bleah and all that. Then why put it in a jam or should I
> > say jelly?

> Doesn't candied citron use the peel?

LOL. You can't expect troll Bruce to know anything about cooking.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-17 9:06 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 3:18:23 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:08:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> Heh! Years ago before I realized that I had issues with egg, I ordered
>>> crepes Suzette in a restaurant. They didn't seem to be real crepes. More
>>> like thin pancakes. I recreated this taste at home by making large, thin,
>>> pancakes and rolling them up around a filling of butter mixed with orange
>>> marmalade. Serve with maple syrup. Oh so good!
>>>
>>> Some marmalade is good. Some isn't.

>> But when you eat an orange, you'd never think of eating the skin.
>> Gross, yuck, bleah and all that. Then why put it in a jam or should I
>> say jelly?

> Doesn't candied citron use the peel?

Citron is basically all rind, but there are uses for candied peel as
well. My inlaws had Australian friends who used to send them boxes of
candied slices of orange, lemon and limes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce, I am living (in my 70s) proof that marmalade doesn't cause an English accent. LOL.
I kinda wish it did. But I have eaten orange marmalade my whole life, and still speak with
"no" accent...Midwest U.S. I haven't ever seen grapefruit marmalade...I love red grapefruit,
so it would be nice if I could find some red grapefruit marmalade...locally, that is, not from
Amazon.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 2:11 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I've always loved it but rarely eat it. To me they are a pain if you
> have to cut them in half.

What the heck is so difficult about cutting a grapefruit in half?!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-01-17 6:38 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I've always eaten grapefruit with a sprinkle of salt. Learned it from
>>> my grandmother, who also used to salt and lightly pepper her cantaloupe.
>>>

>> Guys I worked with many years ago use to sprinkle a little bit of
>> salt on unripe sour apples. I thought that was strange until I
>> tried it. It does tone down the sour taste.
>>

> Beer joints around here used to have salt shakers on the tables and a lot
> of guys put a little salt in their beer. They don't seem to any more.

We used to drop some salted peanuts into it, same effect I suppose.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 10:06 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> Guys I worked with many years ago use to sprinkle a little bit of
>>> salt on unripe sour apples. I thought that was strange until I
>>> tried it. It does tone down the sour taste.
>>>

>> Beer joints around here used to have salt shakers on the tables and a
>> lot of guys put a little salt in their beer. They don't seem to any more.

> We used to drop some salted peanuts into it, same effect I suppose.
>
> Cheri

New one on me too!

Pretzels too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa de los sueños" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/17/2018 10:06 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Beer joints around here used to have salt shakers on the tables and a
>>> lot of guys put a little salt in their beer. They don't seem to any
>>> more.

>> We used to drop some salted peanuts into it, same effect I suppose.
>>
>> Cheri

> New one on me too!
>
> Pretzels too?

No, pretzels would get soggy and crumby, it would be like drinking a soda
after a toddler eating cookies had been in it. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 10:13 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "casa de los sueños" > wrote in message
> news

>>> We used to drop some salted peanuts into it, same effect I suppose.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> New one on me too!
>>
>> Pretzels too?

> No, pretzels would get soggy and crumby, it would be like drinking a
> soda after a toddler eating cookies had been in it. ;-)
>
> Cheri

LOL!

I can just see that in way too much detail...

Maybe just knock some rock salt off and into the head...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-17 11:09 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/17/2018 2:11 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I've always loved it but rarely eat it. To me they are a pain if you
>> have to cut them in half.

> What the heck is so difficult about cutting a grapefruit in half?!

I was not allowed to do that on my own until I was five.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 11:17 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-01-17 11:09 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/17/2018 2:11 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I've always loved it but rarely eat it. To me they are a pain if you
>>> have to cut them in half.

>> What the heck is so difficult about cutting a grapefruit in half?!
>>

> I was not allowed to do that on my own until I was five.

Wah!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 1:04 PM, l not -l wrote:

> I have on occasion found grapefruit marmalade, I think at
> CostPlus/WorldMarket, and greatly enjoyed it. I am most fond of
> white grapefruit for juice, but unsure which variety was used for
> the marmalade. I have also had lime marmalade a time or two and
> enjoyed it as well.
>
> I haven't ever seen grapefruit
>> marmalade...I love red grapefruit,
>> so it would be nice if I could find some red grapefruit
>> marmalade...locally, that is, not from
>> Amazon.

Never saw it around here,but I have a jar in the refrigerator. Picked
it up at a roadside stand in Florida. They also had grapefruit with
strawberry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 17-Jan-2018, "Cheri" > wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> >> Guys I worked with many years ago use to sprinkle a little
> >> bit of
> >> salt on unripe sour apples. I thought that was strange until
> >> tried it. It does tone down the sour taste.
> >>

> > Beer joints around here used to have salt shakers on the
> > tables and a lot
> > of guys put a little salt in their beer. They don't seem to
> > any more.

> We used to drop some salted peanuts into it, same effect I
> suppose.

Once upon a time, in my youth in western Kentucky, many a
customer of my grandfather's store would buy a nickel bag of
Tom's Peanuts and dump them in a bottle of RC Cola. Each pull on
the soda bottle delivered soda and peanuts. I'm surprised no one
choked on the peanuts; must be an innate skill in certain folk.

During that same time in my life, I used to ride along with my
dad on supplier runs to gather the good sold in my grandfathers
store. Most of those runs involved a couple of tavern stops
enroute. My dad had vending machines in the men's rooms of those
establishments, combs and a Brylcreem-like hair cream. He might
have also had a beer or two while there (I had Dr. Pepper or
Frostie Root Beer). Salt shakers were always on the bar at both
establishments and some of the guys would shake a bit in their
glass/mug; I don't know why they did it but it did make the
carbonation bubbles rise.

"A little dab will do ya" https://youtu.be/ByRf3YpHNHQ

===

Good memories, eh? Wonderful)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:45:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I usually peel them like an orange and
> extract the supremes

Thanks for the new word. I always do that with my yearly quota of Costco
'Sweetie' (tm) citrus fruits. These are currently in stock for a few more
weeks. If you have never tasted one of these you are dreprived of one of
the best-tasting fruits of all human history.

(Also know as 'Oroblanco'. They are a hybrid of a white grapefruit and a
pomello.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 12:31 PM, Mike_Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:45:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I usually peel them like an orange and
>> extract the supremes

> Thanks for the new word. I always do that with my yearly quota of Costco
> 'Sweetie' (tm) citrus fruits. These are currently in stock for a few more
> weeks. If you have never tasted one of these you are dreprived of one of
> the best-tasting fruits of all human history.
>
> (Also know as 'Oroblanco'. They are a hybrid of a white grapefruit and a
> pomello.)

Sweeties, Cuties, they're all good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 04:11:00 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:08:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Heh! Years ago before I realized that I had issues with egg, I ordered
>>>crepes Suzette in a restaurant. They didn't seem to be real crepes. More
>>>like thin pancakes. I recreated this taste at home by making large, thin,
>>>pancakes and rolling them up around a filling of butter mixed with orange
>>>marmalade. Serve with maple syrup. Oh so good!
>>>
>>>Some marmalade is good. Some isn't.

>> But when you eat an orange, you'd never think of eating the skin.
>> Gross, yuck, bleah and all that. Then why put it in a jam or should I
>> say jelly?

>The peel is commonly eaten and used in a variety of things. I never eat
>oranges. I don't like them and they cause blisters in my mouth. Same for the
>juice. Although if the orange or juice is cooked or processed into
>something, it's fine.
>
>One of my all time favorite candies is candied orange peel. Also like lemon
>and grapefruit. Never saw candied lime peel but then lime peel is pretty
>thin.
>
>Although I don't know for sure, I suspect the use of peel began during a
>time when food was scarce and someone found a way to use it up.

Yes, people eat candied peel too. They also sometimes add it to Dutch
currant bread. I used to fish it out a a kid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 06:06:42 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 3:18:23 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:08:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Heh! Years ago before I realized that I had issues with egg, I ordered
>> >crepes Suzette in a restaurant. They didn't seem to be real crepes. More
>> >like thin pancakes. I recreated this taste at home by making large, thin,
>> >pancakes and rolling them up around a filling of butter mixed with orange
>> >marmalade. Serve with maple syrup. Oh so good!
>> >
>> >Some marmalade is good. Some isn't.

>> But when you eat an orange, you'd never think of eating the skin.
>> Gross, yuck, bleah and all that. Then why put it in a jam or should I
>> say jelly?

>Doesn't candied citron use the peel?

Yes, it does:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citron

(I didn't know that "citron" was one of the 4 original citrus fruits.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 15:22:18 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>> >The peel is what gives it that great taste.

>> Maybe it's also what causes the English accent?

> More Bruce ignorance. Marmalade originated in Scotland; Dundee
>marmalade is famous.

It's not that important to me And Dundee? I only know Crocodile
Dundee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 07:36:35 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Bruce, I am living (in my 70s) proof that marmalade doesn't cause an English accent. LOL.

Ok, it was an untested theory

>I kinda wish it did. But I have eaten orange marmalade my whole life, and still speak with
>"no" accent...Midwest U.S. I haven't ever seen grapefruit marmalade...I love red grapefruit,
>so it would be nice if I could find some red grapefruit marmalade...locally, that is, not from
>Amazon.

I haven't had grapefruit for probably 40 years. I almost forgot it
existed. I can eat marmalade, but that's only because there isn't much
I can't eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa de los sueños" wrote in message news
On 1/17/2018 12:31 PM, Mike_Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:45:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I usually peel them like an orange and
>> extract the supremes

> Thanks for the new word. I always do that with my yearly quota of Costco
> 'Sweetie' (tm) citrus fruits. These are currently in stock for a few more
> weeks. If you have never tasted one of these you are dreprived of one of
> the best-tasting fruits of all human history.
>
> (Also know as 'Oroblanco'. They are a hybrid of a white grapefruit and a
> pomello.)

Sweeties, Cuties, they're all good.

==

See where marmalade originated from:

Marmalade appeared in the English language in 1480 from the French Marmelade
which came from the Portugese Marmelada. The root of this Portugese word is
Marmelo

Marmalade originated in Austrailia when prisoners from Britian found that
underneath the bark of vaarious trees a sappy jelly was there a could be
used as a replacement for butter or jam.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_does_...e_from#slide=1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 2:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "casa de los sueños"Â* wrote in message news >
> On 1/17/2018 12:31 PM, Mike_Duffy wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:45:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> I usually peel them like an orange and
>>> extract the supremes

>> Thanks for the new word. I always do that with my yearly quota of Costco
>> 'Sweetie' (tm) citrus fruits. These are currently in stock for a few more
>> weeks. If you have never tasted one of these you are dreprived of one of
>> the best-tasting fruits of all human history.
>>
>> (Also know as 'Oroblanco'. They are a hybrid of a white grapefruit and a
>> pomello.)
>>

> Sweeties, Cuties, they're all good.
>
> ==
>
> See where marmalade originated from:
>
> Marmalade appeared in the English language in 1480 from the French
> Marmelade which came from the Portugese Marmelada. The root of this
> Portugese word is Marmelo
>
> Marmalade originated in Austrailia when prisoners from Britian found
> that underneath the bark of vaarious trees a sappy jelly was there a
> could be used as a replacement for butter or jam.
>
> http://www.answers.com/Q/Where_does_...e_from#slide=1

Wow, tree sap marmalade, unique!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > I never eat oranges. I don't like them and they
> > cause blisters in my mouth. Same for the juice.

> <choke>
> Oh please kill me! Julie, I know you have perceived food issues
> but this is too much. Get the hell out of here. good grief! WTF
> is *SO VERY WRONG* with you?
>
> After reading about all your issues for many years, I'm convinced
> that your problems are NOT physical but mental. Seek professional
> help. You're a nice person and I like you but your dietary issues
> are way out in left field...Outer Limits...Twilight Zone....and
> beyond. wth?

Actually citrus can cause that in some. Too acidic I think it was?
They have to limit consumption but the peels can still be used. My
sister used to have that problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2018-01-17 10:22 AM, Janet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > lid says...

> > > Maybe it's also what causes the English accent?

> > More Bruce ignorance. Marmalade originated in Scotland; Dundee
> > marmalade is famous.

> Well, Bruce just has this compulsion to sit back and snipe at every
> post.

Yup. I found him a time-suck and removed him from my view. I see just
enough quotes to see he's still at it though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 19:39:20 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> On 2018-01-17 10:22 AM, Janet wrote:
>> > In article >,
>> > lid says...

>> > More Bruce ignorance. Marmalade originated in Scotland; Dundee
>> > marmalade is famous.

>> Well, Bruce just has this compulsion to sit back and snipe at every
>> post.

>Yup. I found him a time-suck and removed him from my view. I see just
>enough quotes to see he's still at it though.

cshenkie, it's cowardly to killfile someone and then start bitching
about them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/17/2018 2:11 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I've always loved it but rarely eat it. To me they are a pain if you have
>> to cut them in half.

> What the heck is so difficult about cutting a grapefruit in half?!

Nothing. It's eating the grapefruit half like that that's a pain! Got juice
squirting all over and stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-01-17 11:09 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 1/17/2018 2:11 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I've always loved it but rarely eat it. To me they are a pain if you
>>> have to cut them in half.

>> What the heck is so difficult about cutting a grapefruit in half?!
>>

> I was not allowed to do that on my own until I was five.

Me either but I was scrambling eggs at four. Apparently my mom saw heat as
less of a threat than sharp things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike_Duffy" > wrote in message
.. .
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 04:11:00 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I never eat oranges. I don't like them and they cause blisters in my
>> mouth.

> I'm not sure if you bothered to follow the links in the reference I gave
> you a few weeks ago for the citrus loaf recipe on my personal
> not-for-profit website:
>
> http://mduffy.x10host.com/recipes.htm
>

> The external Wikipedia links in the recipe are to chemicals found in the
> inner and outer zest respectively:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonin
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene
>

> I suspect that you are allergic to the former moreso than the latter
> simply
> due to complexity.

More likely it is OAS which I also have to almonds and pistachios. The body
mistakes the food for a pollen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I never eat oranges. I don't like them and they
>> cause blisters in my mouth. Same for the juice.

> <choke>
> Oh please kill me! Julie, I know you have perceived food issues
> but this is too much. Get the hell out of here. good grief! WTF
> is *SO VERY WRONG* with you?
>
> After reading about all your issues for many years, I'm convinced
> that your problems are NOT physical but mental. Seek professional
> help. You're a nice person and I like you but your dietary issues
> are way out in left field...Outer Limits...Twilight Zone....and
> beyond. wth?

Hey Gary... FOAD!