Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Free Grapefriut

A neighbor is harvesting grapefruit from her trees. She gives them away
every year. Surprising, the rare snow and ice only did a little bit of
damage. I went by and picked up a few.

https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg

I love grapefruit.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>A neighbor is harvesting grapefruit from her trees. She gives them away
>every year. Surprising, the rare snow and ice only did a little bit of
>damage. I went by and picked up a few.
>
> https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg
>
> I love grapefruit.
>
> Jill

Nice of her to share.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 12:41 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> A neighbor is harvesting grapefruit from her trees.* She gives them
>> away every year.* Surprising, the rare snow and ice only did a little
>> bit of damage.* I went by and picked up a few.
>>
>> https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg
>>
>> I love grapefruit.
>>
>> Jill

> Nice of her to share.
>
> Cheri

She does this every year. She had baskets full of them on the driveway.
I can only use a few of them. Grapefruit itself is tasty (needs some
sugar) but the juice is good for marinade. Pork ribs, flank steak.
Things like that.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/16/2018 12:41 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> A neighbor is harvesting grapefruit from her trees. She gives them away
>>> every year. Surprising, the rare snow and ice only did a little bit of
>>> damage. I went by and picked up a few.
>>>
>>> https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg
>>>
>>> I love grapefruit.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Nice of her to share.
>>
>> Cheri

> She does this every year. She had baskets full of them on the driveway. I
> can only use a few of them. Grapefruit itself is tasty (needs some sugar)
> but the juice is good for marinade. Pork ribs, flank steak. Things like
> that.
>
> Jill

I always like it when people share something that is useful to me, I try to
do that when I can too. I'm sure you do as well.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:34:30 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>A neighbor is harvesting grapefruit from her trees. She gives them away
>every year. Surprising, the rare snow and ice only did a little bit of
>damage. I went by and picked up a few.
>
>https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg
>
>I love grapefruit.
>
>Jill

Lucky you! I love grapefruit too. A lot of us can't have any kind of
grapefruit anymore because it has adverse effects with some
medication.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapef...g_interactions
I miss grapefruit. It used to be my go-to fruit juice or fruit.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 11:20 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Sheldon will want to know how big they are - in bra sizes.
>
> -sw

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 1:20 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:34:30 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> A neighbor is harvesting grapefruit from her trees. She gives them away
>> every year. Surprising, the rare snow and ice only did a little bit of
>> damage. I went by and picked up a few.
>>
>> https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg
>>
>> I love grapefruit.

> Sheldon will want to know how big they are - in bra sizes.
>
> -sw

B and a couple of C cups.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 1:10 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:34:30 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> A neighbor is harvesting grapefruit from her trees. She gives them away
>> every year. Surprising, the rare snow and ice only did a little bit of
>> damage. I went by and picked up a few.
>>
>> https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg
>>
>> I love grapefruit.
>>
>> Jill

> Lucky you! I love grapefruit too. A lot of us can't have any kind of
> grapefruit anymore because it has adverse effects with some
> medication.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapef...g_interactions
> I miss grapefruit. It used to be my go-to fruit juice or fruit.
> Janet US

Yes, I noticed when I was taking care of my mother she couldn't have
grapefruit. It would interact badly with one of her medications. One
of her blood thinners, she couldn't eat spinach or leafy greens, either.
Fortunately I don't have those problems.

It's nice the crop of grapefruit wasn't spoiled. She said what fell on
the ground during the snow/ice split and the birds and squirrels ate it.
Didn't go to waste!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 1/16/2018 12:41 PM, Cheri wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >> A neighbor is harvesting grapefruit from her trees.* She gives them
> >> away every year.* Surprising, the rare snow and ice only did a little
> >> bit of damage.* I went by and picked up a few.

https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg

> >> I love grapefruit.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Nice of her to share.
> >
> > Cheri

> She does this every year. She had baskets full of them on the driveway.
> I can only use a few of them. Grapefruit itself is tasty (needs some
> sugar) but the juice is good for marinade. Pork ribs, flank steak.
> Things like that.
>
> Jill

Grapefruit marmalade is a treat.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-16 12:34 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> A neighbor is harvesting grapefruit from her trees.Ā* She gives them away
> every year.Ā* Surprising, the rare snow and ice only did a little bit of
> damage.Ā* I went by and picked up a few.
>
> https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg
>
> I love grapefruit.

I am envious. I used to love grapefruit. I had a problem with citrus
fruits for a long time, but then got rid of my rotten gall bladder. The
last time I had grapefruit I was so affected by it at work the next day
that I had to go home. I have tried eating small amounts of oranges and
getting away with it. I think I am almost ready to try grapefruit again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:12:14 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...

https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg

>> > Nice of her to share.
>> >
>> > Cheri

>> She does this every year. She had baskets full of them on the driveway.
>> I can only use a few of them. Grapefruit itself is tasty (needs some
>> sugar) but the juice is good for marinade. Pork ribs, flank steak.
>> Things like that.
>>
>> Jill

> Grapefruit marmalade is a treat.

With skin and all? I find that so weird.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-16 5:48 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:12:14 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> says...

https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg

>>> She does this every year. She had baskets full of them on the driveway.
>>> I can only use a few of them. Grapefruit itself is tasty (needs some
>>> sugar) but the juice is good for marinade. Pork ribs, flank steak.
>>> Things like that.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Grapefruit marmalade is a treat.

> With skin and all? I find that so weird.

Of course it is skin and all. Marmalade, by definition, is made from the
juice and skins of citrus fruits. The peel is what gives it the tart and
bitter taste that makes marmalade a special treat. If it bothers you
that they use grapefruit skin you should re-consider Seville orange
marmalade. At least grapefruit and its juice are good. I dare you to try
to eat a Seville orange. Those things are just plain nasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:59:29 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-01-16 5:48 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:12:14 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>>
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg

>>> Grapefruit marmalade is a treat.

>> With skin and all? I find that so weird.
>>

>Of course it is skin and all. Marmalade, by definition, is made from the
>juice and skins of citrus fruits. The peel is what gives it the tart and
>bitter taste that makes marmalade a special treat. If it bothers you
>that they use grapefruit skin you should re-consider Seville orange
>marmalade. At least grapefruit and its juice are good. I dare you to try
>to eat a Seville orange. Those things are just plain nasty.

We were given orange marmalade a few months ago. My wife refused to
eat it. I finished it, but kept wondering why on earth they put those
gross peels in there. Especially since the English are normally so
safe and conservative with food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-16 6:05 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:59:29 -0500, Dave Smith

>> Of course it is skin and all. Marmalade, by definition, is made from the
>> juice and skins of citrus fruits. The peel is what gives it the tart and
>> bitter taste that makes marmalade a special treat. If it bothers you
>> that they use grapefruit skin you should re-consider Seville orange
>> marmalade. At least grapefruit and its juice are good. I dare you to try
>> to eat a Seville orange. Those things are just plain nasty.

> We were given orange marmalade a few months ago. My wife refused to
> eat it. I finished it, but kept wondering why on earth they put those
> gross peels in there. Especially since the English are normally so
> safe and conservative with food.

The peel is what gives it that great taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-01-16 6:05 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:59:29 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> Of course it is skin and all. Marmalade, by definition, is made from the
>>> juice and skins of citrus fruits. The peel is what gives it the tart and
>>> bitter taste that makes marmalade a special treat. If it bothers you
>>> that they use grapefruit skin you should re-consider Seville orange
>>> marmalade. At least grapefruit and its juice are good. I dare you to try
>>> to eat a Seville orange. Those things are just plain nasty.

>> We were given orange marmalade a few months ago. My wife refused to
>> eat it. I finished it, but kept wondering why on earth they put those
>> gross peels in there. Especially since the English are normally so
>> safe and conservative with food.
>>

>The peel is what gives it that great taste.

Maybe it's also what causes the English accent?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-01-16 6:05 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:59:29 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> Of course it is skin and all. Marmalade, by definition, is made from the
>>> juice and skins of citrus fruits. The peel is what gives it the tart and
>>> bitter taste that makes marmalade a special treat. If it bothers you
>>> that they use grapefruit skin you should re-consider Seville orange
>>> marmalade. At least grapefruit and its juice are good. I dare you to try
>>> to eat a Seville orange. Those things are just plain nasty.

>> We were given orange marmalade a few months ago. My wife refused to
>> eat it. I finished it, but kept wondering why on earth they put those
>> gross peels in there. Especially since the English are normally so
>> safe and conservative with food.
>>

> The peel is what gives it that great taste.

I didn't realize this until I watched Paddington Bear teach Knuckles
McGinty how to make marmalade in prison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5EHEZUAFVc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/16/2018 1:10 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> > On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:34:30 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > A neighbor is harvesting grapefruit from her trees. She gives
> > > them away every year. Surprising, the rare snow and ice only did
> > > a little bit of damage. I went by and picked up a few.
> > >
> > > https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg
> > >
> > > I love grapefruit.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Lucky you! I love grapefruit too. A lot of us can't have any kind
> > of grapefruit anymore because it has adverse effects with some
> > medication.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapef...g_interactions
> > I miss grapefruit. It used to be my go-to fruit juice or fruit.
> > Janet US
> >

> Yes, I noticed when I was taking care of my mother she couldn't have
> grapefruit. It would interact badly with one of her medications.
> One of her blood thinners, she couldn't eat spinach or leafy greens,
> either. Fortunately I don't have those problems.
>
> It's nice the crop of grapefruit wasn't spoiled. She said what fell
> on the ground during the snow/ice split and the birds and squirrels
> ate it. Didn't go to waste!
>
> Jill

Same as when I crop too many apples. Bunnies and squirrels have a
feast on them.

I also pass them on to neighbors and the kids here know it's fine to
snag the bigger ones they can reach (and let the littler ones grow big
to eat later).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 7:52 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> You know Sheldon wanted to respond to this

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> ObFood: Cheap, canned chicken noodle soup

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2018-01-16 6:05 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:59:29 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> We were given orange marmalade a few months ago. My wife refused to
>>> eat it. I finished it, but kept wondering why on earth they put those
>>> gross peels in there. Especially since the English are normally so
>>> safe and conservative with food.
>>>

>>The peel is what gives it that great taste.

> Maybe it's also what causes the English accent?

Heh! Years ago before I realized that I had issues with egg, I ordered
crepes Suzette in a restaurant. They didn't seem to be real crepes. More
like thin pancakes. I recreated this taste at home by making large, thin,
pancakes and rolling them up around a filling of butter mixed with orange
marmalade. Serve with maple syrup. Oh so good!

Some marmalade is good. Some isn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:13:29 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I am envious. I used to love grapefruit. I had a problem with citrus
> fruits for a long time, but then got rid of my rotten gall bladder. The
> last time I had grapefruit I was so affected by it at work the next day
> that I had to go home. I have tried eating small amounts of oranges and
> getting away with it. I think I am almost ready to try grapefruit again.

Grapefruit is great stuff. I never liked it when I was a kid but started
digging it a few years ago. I liked the little ritual of getting it ready to
eat. My plan was to start getting big bags of very large grapefruit from
Costco when I read that you can't take it whilst using diabetes meds. I
haven't ate grapefruit since.

I've always loved it but rarely eat it. To me they are a pain if you have to
cut them in half. Some years ago I had a grapefruit knife and that was
really the only good way I found to cut one into sections. I also had some
grapefruit spoons. I think the knife broke or something.

I used to buy the cups at Costco. They were great! But then they switched to
the Kirkland brand and those are horribly bitter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
news
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Sheldon will want to know how big they are - in bra sizes.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> B and a couple of C cups.
>>
>> Jill

> I have always loved grapefruit. As you said they do need just a tiny
> sprinkle of sugar to offset the sourness. A few years, I've gotten really
> great ones, and pigged out on them. None are grown anywhere near me. Some
> years, they are small, expensive, and not very good. I guess that's to be
> expected with any agricultural product.
>
> What I don't get is the linkage with sexual stuff. I never got a stiffy
> looking at a grapefruit, just hungry.
>
> Grapefruits would be closer to testicles than breasts, although a testicle
> is not completely spherical like a grapefruit. Is there a grapefruit sized
> athletic supporter for guys?

Dear Lord! I have never seen testicals as big as grapefruits and I hope
never to see such things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:08:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>The peel is what gives it that great taste.

>> Maybe it's also what causes the English accent?

>Heh! Years ago before I realized that I had issues with egg, I ordered
>crepes Suzette in a restaurant. They didn't seem to be real crepes. More
>like thin pancakes. I recreated this taste at home by making large, thin,
>pancakes and rolling them up around a filling of butter mixed with orange
>marmalade. Serve with maple syrup. Oh so good!
>
>Some marmalade is good. Some isn't.

But when you eat an orange, you'd never think of eating the skin.
Gross, yuck, bleah and all that. Then why put it in a jam or should I
say jelly?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 7:07:05 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

> >> Sheldon will want to know how big they are - in bra sizes.
> >>
> >> -sw
> >>

> > B and a couple of C cups.
> >
> > Jill

> I have always loved grapefruit. As you said they do need just a tiny
> sprinkle of sugar to offset the sourness.

I've always eaten grapefruit with a sprinkle of salt. Learned it from
my grandmother, who also used to salt and lightly pepper her cantaloupe.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Hank Rogers wrote:
> > I have always loved grapefruit. As you said they do need just a tiny
> > sprinkle of sugar to offset the sourness.

> I've always eaten grapefruit with a sprinkle of salt. Learned it from
> my grandmother, who also used to salt and lightly pepper her cantaloupe.

Guys I worked with many years ago use to sprinkle a little bit of
salt on unripe sour apples. I thought that was strange until I
tried it. It does tone down the sour taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:08:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> Maybe it's also what causes the English accent?

>>Heh! Years ago before I realized that I had issues with egg, I ordered
>>crepes Suzette in a restaurant. They didn't seem to be real crepes. More
>>like thin pancakes. I recreated this taste at home by making large, thin,
>>pancakes and rolling them up around a filling of butter mixed with orange
>>marmalade. Serve with maple syrup. Oh so good!
>>
>>Some marmalade is good. Some isn't.

> But when you eat an orange, you'd never think of eating the skin.
> Gross, yuck, bleah and all that. Then why put it in a jam or should I
> say jelly?

The peel is commonly eaten and used in a variety of things. I never eat
oranges. I don't like them and they cause blisters in my mouth. Same for the
juice. Although if the orange or juice is cooked or processed into
something, it's fine.

One of my all time favorite candies is candied orange peel. Also like lemon
and grapefruit. Never saw candied lime peel but then lime peel is pretty
thin.

Although I don't know for sure, I suspect the use of peel began during a
time when food was scarce and someone found a way to use it up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Hank Rogers wrote:
>> > I have always loved grapefruit. As you said they do need just a tiny
>> > sprinkle of sugar to offset the sourness.

>> I've always eaten grapefruit with a sprinkle of salt. Learned it from
>> my grandmother, who also used to salt and lightly pepper her cantaloupe.
>>

> Guys I worked with many years ago use to sprinkle a little bit of
> salt on unripe sour apples. I thought that was strange until I
> tried it. It does tone down the sour taste.

As a kid, I was taught to salt grapefruit but I prefer it without. My mom
salts apples and watermelon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 04:11:00 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> I never eat oranges. I don't like them and they cause blisters in my mouth.

I'm not sure if you bothered to follow the links in the reference I gave
you a few weeks ago for the citrus loaf recipe on my personal
not-for-profit website:

http://mduffy.x10host.com/recipes.htm

The external Wikipedia links in the recipe are to chemicals found in the
inner and outer zest respectively:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene

I suspect that you are allergic to the former moreso than the latter simply
due to complexity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 6:38:49 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Hank Rogers wrote:
> > > I have always loved grapefruit. As you said they do need just a tiny
> > > sprinkle of sugar to offset the sourness.

> > I've always eaten grapefruit with a sprinkle of salt. Learned it from
> > my grandmother, who also used to salt and lightly pepper her cantaloupe.
> >

> Guys I worked with many years ago use to sprinkle a little bit of
> salt on unripe sour apples. I thought that was strange until I
> tried it. It does tone down the sour taste.

Forgot about that. I like salt on apples, too, sometimes.
And watermelon.

IIRC, salt is kind of a skeleton key for your taste buds.
If it's latched on to a sour receptor, that receptor won't
be activated by the sourness in the fruit.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 3:18:23 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:08:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith

> >> Maybe it's also what causes the English accent?

> >Heh! Years ago before I realized that I had issues with egg, I ordered
> >crepes Suzette in a restaurant. They didn't seem to be real crepes. More
> >like thin pancakes. I recreated this taste at home by making large, thin,
> >pancakes and rolling them up around a filling of butter mixed with orange
> >marmalade. Serve with maple syrup. Oh so good!
> >
> >Some marmalade is good. Some isn't.

> But when you eat an orange, you'd never think of eating the skin.
> Gross, yuck, bleah and all that. Then why put it in a jam or should I
> say jelly?

Doesn't candied citron use the peel?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 9:05 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 6:38:49 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

>> Guys I worked with many years ago use to sprinkle a little bit of
>> salt on unripe sour apples. I thought that was strange until I
>> tried it. It does tone down the sour taste.

> Forgot about that. I like salt on apples, too, sometimes.
> And watermelon.
>
> IIRC, salt is kind of a skeleton key for your taste buds.
> If it's latched on to a sour receptor, that receptor won't
> be activated by the sourness in the fruit.

My mother would salt cut apples to prevent them from turning
brown. I still like to salt apples once in a while.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I never eat oranges. I don't like them and they
> cause blisters in my mouth. Same for the juice.

<choke>
Oh please kill me! Julie, I know you have perceived food issues
but this is too much. Get the hell out of here. good grief! WTF
is *SO VERY WRONG* with you?

After reading about all your issues for many years, I'm convinced
that your problems are NOT physical but mental. Seek professional
help. You're a nice person and I like you but your dietary issues
are way out in left field...Outer Limits...Twilight Zone....and
beyond. wth?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 12:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> The peel is what gives it that great taste.

>> Maybe it's also what causes the English accent?

> Heh!Ā* Years ago before I realized that I had issues with egg, I ordered
> crepes Suzette in a restaurant. They didn't seem to be real crepes. More
> like thin pancakes. I recreated this taste at home by making large,
> thin, pancakes and rolling them up around a filling of butter mixed with
> orange marmalade. Serve with maple syrup. Oh so good!
>
> Some marmalade is good. Some isn't.

Some of it is mostly pectin with sugar and flavorings, but there are
winners.

Home made:

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.c...nge-marmalade/

And commercial:

https://www.monasterygreetings.com/p...e_Flavor_Cases

https://www.monasterygreetings.com/p...nal-Selections
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 1:18 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 23:08:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:34:44 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> Maybe it's also what causes the English accent?

>> Heh! Years ago before I realized that I had issues with egg, I ordered
>> crepes Suzette in a restaurant. They didn't seem to be real crepes. More
>> like thin pancakes. I recreated this taste at home by making large, thin,
>> pancakes and rolling them up around a filling of butter mixed with orange
>> marmalade. Serve with maple syrup. Oh so good!
>>
>> Some marmalade is good. Some isn't.

> But when you eat an orange, you'd never think of eating the skin.
> Gross, yuck, bleah and all that. Then why put it in a jam or should I
> say jelly?

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.c...nge-marmalade/

Because the skin has been finely chopped and multi-boiled and contains
concentrated citrus oils, duh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 4:23 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 7:07:05 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> B and a couple of C cups.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I have always loved grapefruit. As you said they do need just a tiny
>> sprinkle of sugar to offset the sourness.

> I've always eaten grapefruit with a sprinkle of salt. Learned it from
> my grandmother, who also used to salt and lightly pepper her cantaloupe.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I have a friend who puts a wee bit of salt on her beer - claims it makes
the foam last longer.

Haven't tried that one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 7:05 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 6:38:49 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> I've always eaten grapefruit with a sprinkle of salt. Learned it from
>>> my grandmother, who also used to salt and lightly pepper her cantaloupe.
>>>

>> Guys I worked with many years ago use to sprinkle a little bit of
>> salt on unripe sour apples. I thought that was strange until I
>> tried it. It does tone down the sour taste.

> Forgot about that. I like salt on apples, too, sometimes.
> And watermelon.
>
> IIRC, salt is kind of a skeleton key for your taste buds.
> If it's latched on to a sour receptor, that receptor won't
> be activated by the sourness in the fruit.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That's a good analysis. And that is why fresh kettle corn is so popular
at fairs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 7:24 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I never eat oranges. I don't like them and they
>> cause blisters in my mouth. Same for the juice.

> <choke>
> Oh please kill me! Julie, I know you have perceived food issues
> but this is too much. Get the hell out of here. good grief! WTF
> is *SO VERY WRONG* with you?
>
> After reading about all your issues for many years, I'm convinced
> that your problems are NOT physical but mental. Seek professional
> help. You're a nice person and I like you but your dietary issues
> are way out in left field...Outer Limits...Twilight Zone....and
> beyond. wth?

Oh come on, dietary problems related to diabetes are nothing to scoff at.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-17 6:38 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Hank Rogers wrote:
>>> I have always loved grapefruit. As you said they do need just a tiny
>>> sprinkle of sugar to offset the sourness.

>> I've always eaten grapefruit with a sprinkle of salt. Learned it from
>> my grandmother, who also used to salt and lightly pepper her cantaloupe.
>>

> Guys I worked with many years ago use to sprinkle a little bit of
> salt on unripe sour apples. I thought that was strange until I
> tried it. It does tone down the sour taste.

Beer joints around here used to have salt shakers on the tables and a
lot of guys put a little salt in their beer. They don't seem to any more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
lid says...

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:12:14 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
> >In article >,

> >says...

https://s13.postimg.org/qg4l6asw7/grapefruit.jpg

> >> She does this every year. She had baskets full of them on the driveway.
> >> I can only use a few of them. Grapefruit itself is tasty (needs some
> >> sugar) but the juice is good for marinade. Pork ribs, flank steak.
> >> Things like that.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Grapefruit marmalade is a treat.

> With skin and all? I find that so weird.

Of course. Marmalade uses the entire citrus fruit including the pips
(which are tied in muslin and cooked with the rest to extract their
pectin, then removed).

Janet UK