Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's for dinner?

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news
On 1/12/2018 3:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Casa estilo antiguo" wrote in message
> news >
> On 1/12/2018 1:21 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Casa estilo antiguo" wrote in message
>> news >>
>> On 1/12/2018 12:38 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> OK , so I'm not all that original . But I betcha a nickel that
>>> someone here will benefit from this comment ...
>>>
>>> Snag
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> I am sure of it Just because 3 of us do it doesn't mean everybody)
>>>
>>> Oh, I made chips today in the AF. They were pretty good. A bit drier
>>> than in the deep fryer but D enjoyed them and that is all that matters.
>>> You were right about 30 mins. so thanks
>>>

>> Tnx for your report too!
>>
>> Duck?
>>
>> Anyone air fried a duck yet?
>>
>> ==
>> Not I, but I will say, that if you do it (and I am sure it will turn out
>> beautifully), make sure it fits the basket with room to spare)
>>

> Roger that - I've become mired in my search for the best shaped and
> sized air fryer.
>
> So many choices on Amazon!
>
> ==
>
> I guess it depends how many you are cooking for. Ours is a 3.2 litre but
> I am cooking just for 2 of us.
>
> I had my eye on a Philips or this one, The Power Air Fryer made from
> Tristar Products, had a good discount so ... I am very pleased with it.
>
> Ask Terry as well, what he has.

Ours is a Farberware model 554023059 , not sure of the capacity but it
draws 1400 watts .

Snag
==

Looks just like mine except for the controls They all look pretty much
the same don't you think?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 4:04:26 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am doing a bake of brown rice, chicken breast, peas, celery, bell peppers
> and peas. Also contains olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme and
> just a tiny bit of oregano. Cooked everything ahead of time. It's just
> heating through now. Used some onion free chicken broth powder to season the
> rice and veggies. Smells really good.
>
> If there is time, I will likely bake a tube of crescent rolls. Got a lot of
> them for cheap at Walmart. On second thought... Whole wheat cheese biscuits
> might be better. Don't want to mess up a healthy meal with poofy fluff.

We had ahi wrapped in seaweed, battered, and deep fried on a some greens. I'll have to make this at home one of these days.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...x0AeGMBtLrGvWN
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:04:17 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I am doing a bake of brown rice, chicken breast, peas, celery, bell
>>peppers
>>and peas. Also contains olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme
>>and
>>just a tiny bit of oregano. Cooked everything ahead of time. It's just
>>heating through now. Used some onion free chicken broth powder to season
>>the
>>rice and veggies. Smells really good.
>>
>>If there is time, I will likely bake a tube of crescent rolls. Got a lot
>>of
>>them for cheap at Walmart. On second thought... Whole wheat cheese
>>biscuits
>>might be better. Don't want to mess up a healthy meal with poofy fluff.

> poofy
> 1 with homosexual tendencies widely used in central scotland*
> <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poofy>

Oh my, what a faux pas I have made! See why I need you, Bruce!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:04:17 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I am doing a bake of brown rice, chicken breast, peas, celery, bell
>> peppers
>> and peas. Also contains olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme
>> and
>> just a tiny bit of oregano. Cooked everything ahead of time. It's just
>> heating through now. Used some onion free chicken broth powder to season
>> the
>> rice and veggies. Smells really good.
>>
>> If there is time, I will likely bake a tube of crescent rolls. Got a lot
>> of
>> them for cheap at Walmart. On second thought... Whole wheat cheese
>> biscuits
>> might be better. Don't want to mess up a healthy meal with poofy fluff.

> So now you're answering your own questions? That's a good start and
> saves everyone the frustration and irritation.
>
> Grilled Monterey Jack cheese and pickled jalapeno sandwich and a
> mustgovian tossed salad.

What is a mustgovian tossed salad? And will I regret asking that? Probably.
See? I done did it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 5:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> I make 12 gallons (+/-) of spaghetti sauce at a time. I fill each
> quart Ziploc freezer bag with 16 ounces of sauce. I lay them flat,
> overlapping on a couple of half sheet pans. I put the pans in the
> deep freeze until everything is frozen solid. Then I use a 2 or 3
> three gallon zip bags to corral all the bags of spaghetti sauce.
> Everything is flat, everything is frozen and kept together. Once
> years ago I had a couple of bags from the same box leak immediately as
> I filled them. I called the company and they sent me coupons for a
> couple of free boxes of bags.
> ==
>
> Blimey, what pan are you using???

Not a s much as it sounds like - US gallons are smaller than Imperial ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Freezer quart bags cost about $.042 and the
> regular cost about $.022. It's the price I'm willing to pay for
> convenience.

OK, I've got a question for you or anyone here that uses them.

I freeze some things in regular ziplock bags and I've never had a
problem with them. Note: I always use up that frozen food within
a couple of months and normally way less time. What is special
about their freezer bags that warrants twice the price of the
regular ones? I've always wondered.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 04:41:43 -0500, Gary wrote:
>
> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
> >>
> >> I make 12 gallons (+/-) of spaghetti sauce at a time.

> > :-o

> You wake up and start posting way too early, Gary.

You also seem to be up early. Or are you still up late?

I was up for an hour before I posted that - a little early (3:30)
for me to get up but I always get up around 4am work days and
weekends. Have done that for over 45 years now. I've always loved
the pre-dawn hour(s).

"The early bird gets the worm"... however, "The second mouse gets
the cheese" heheh

> It's Saturday morning - Time to get a new stash of frozen pizzas,
> extra cheese, and broccoli!

I recently discovered a decent "snack" frozen pizza. Bought a
couple for grandsons coming for a visit and was told they like
them. Well I tried one and I like them too. Not for a meal but
just for a late night snack.

Totino's Party Pizza (10.2oz). They're retangular and just 1/2 of
one is a nice little snack.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 04:07:17 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> :-o

> >You wake up and start posting way too early, Gary.
> >
> >It's Saturday morning - Time to get a new stash of frozen pizzas,
> >extra cheese, and broccoli!

> Isn't McDonalds open 24/24?

In my area, no. They do open by 6am though. Sausage biscuit and
hash browns for $2.00 plus tax is hard to beat and tasty.
(ignoring ingredients on that combo). I discovered that when I
had to drive somewhere to get free wifi. I get free wifi at home
now and it rules. SO much faster than dial-up: Rather than
dial-up speed of up to 53 Kbps, this wifi gets up to 54 Mbps)

My sister sent me a Christmas card with a $25 McDonalds gift
card. oh yeah! :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> ...I need you, Bruce!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote:
> > Grilled Monterey Jack cheese and pickled jalapeno sandwich and a
> > mustgovian tossed salad.

> What is a mustgovian tossed salad? And will I regret asking that? Probably.

It doesn't sound very appealing to me but he might have had some
decent things to use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 1/13/2018 5:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> > I make 12 gallons (+/-) of spaghetti sauce at a time.
> > ==
> >
> > Blimey, what pan are you using???
> >

> Not a s much as it sounds like - US gallons are smaller than Imperial ones.

I suspect she meant to say 12 quarts, not gallons. 12 gallons of
spaghetti sauce at a time would even put Sheldon to shame.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 7:42:53 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > Freezer quart bags cost about $.042 and the
> > regular cost about $.022. It's the price I'm willing to pay for
> > convenience.

> OK, I've got a question for you or anyone here that uses them.
>
> I freeze some things in regular ziplock bags and I've never had a
> problem with them. Note: I always use up that frozen food within
> a couple of months and normally way less time. What is special
> about their freezer bags that warrants twice the price of the
> regular ones? I've always wondered.

Over a couple of months, no. The freezer bags are thicker and
control freezer burn somewhat better than the regular bags.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message ...

On 1/13/2018 5:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> I make 12 gallons (+/-) of spaghetti sauce at a time. I fill each
> quart Ziploc freezer bag with 16 ounces of sauce. I lay them flat,
> overlapping on a couple of half sheet pans. I put the pans in the
> deep freeze until everything is frozen solid. Then I use a 2 or 3
> three gallon zip bags to corral all the bags of spaghetti sauce.
> Everything is flat, everything is frozen and kept together. Once
> years ago I had a couple of bags from the same box leak immediately as
> I filled them. I called the company and they sent me coupons for a
> couple of free boxes of bags.
> ==
>
> Blimey, what pan are you using???

Not a s much as it sounds like - US gallons are smaller than Imperial ones.

==

Ahhh that's true! Phew))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 4:04:26 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am doing a bake of brown rice, chicken breast, peas, celery, bell
> peppers
> and peas. Also contains olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme
> and
> just a tiny bit of oregano. Cooked everything ahead of time. It's just
> heating through now. Used some onion free chicken broth powder to season
> the
> rice and veggies. Smells really good.
>
> If there is time, I will likely bake a tube of crescent rolls. Got a lot
> of
> them for cheap at Walmart. On second thought... Whole wheat cheese
> biscuits
> might be better. Don't want to mess up a healthy meal with poofy fluff.

We had ahi wrapped in seaweed, battered, and deep fried on a some greens.
I'll have to make this at home one of these days.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...x0AeGMBtLrGvWN

==

Ahi is fish, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 3:58 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 4:04:26 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am doing a bake of brown rice, chicken breast, peas, celery, bell peppers
>> and peas. Also contains olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme and
>> just a tiny bit of oregano. Cooked everything ahead of time. It's just
>> heating through now. Used some onion free chicken broth powder to season the
>> rice and veggies. Smells really good.
>>
>> If there is time, I will likely bake a tube of crescent rolls. Got a lot of
>> them for cheap at Walmart. On second thought... Whole wheat cheese biscuits
>> might be better. Don't want to mess up a healthy meal with poofy fluff.

> We had ahi wrapped in seaweed, battered, and deep fried on a some greens. I'll have to make this at home one of these days.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...x0AeGMBtLrGvWN

Is the purple stuff poi?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 5:45 AM, Gary wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
>>
>> On 1/13/2018 5:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>>> I make 12 gallons (+/-) of spaghetti sauce at a time.
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Blimey, what pan are you using???
>>>

>> Not a s much as it sounds like - US gallons are smaller than Imperial ones.

> I suspect she meant to say 12 quarts, not gallons. 12 gallons of
> spaghetti sauce at a time would even put Sheldon to shame.

<snort!>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news
> Oh my, what a faux pas I have made! See why I need you, Bruce!

It's true, there is someone for everyone. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:50:02 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Ahi is fish, right?

Ahi is tuna. We also have aku which is also tuna. It's confusing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 6:35:58 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:

> Is the purple stuff poi?

That's an Okinawan sweet potato. That was a nice addition to the salad. It makes a pretty good pie.

https://loxstockandbarrel.com/2013/1...aupia-topping/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 03:52:43 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:04:17 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I am doing a bake of brown rice, chicken breast, peas, celery, bell
>>> peppers
>>> and peas. Also contains olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme
>>> and
>>> just a tiny bit of oregano. Cooked everything ahead of time. It's just
>>> heating through now. Used some onion free chicken broth powder to season
>>> the
>>> rice and veggies. Smells really good.
>>>
>>> If there is time, I will likely bake a tube of crescent rolls. Got a lot
>>> of
>>> them for cheap at Walmart. On second thought... Whole wheat cheese
>>> biscuits
>>> might be better. Don't want to mess up a healthy meal with poofy fluff.

>> So now you're answering your own questions? That's a good start and
>> saves everyone the frustration and irritation.
>>
>> Grilled Monterey Jack cheese and pickled jalapeno sandwich and a
>> mustgovian tossed salad.

>What is a mustgovian tossed salad? And will I regret asking that? Probably.
>See? I done did it again.

Items in the fridge that Must Go
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 07:45:59 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>S Viemeister wrote:
>>
>> On 1/13/2018 5:52 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>> > I make 12 gallons (+/-) of spaghetti sauce at a time.
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Blimey, what pan are you using???
>> >

>> Not a s much as it sounds like - US gallons are smaller than Imperial ones.

>I suspect she meant to say 12 quarts, not gallons. 12 gallons of
>spaghetti sauce at a time would even put Sheldon to shame.

thank you Gary.. You're right. I didn't catch on until you pointed
it out.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.eat-shit.and-die.asshole

On 1/13/2018 12:24 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> That's an Oinkawan
>
> https://imgur.com/a/jCmVb

Oink Oink! lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 10:16 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:50:02 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> ==
>>
>> Ahi is fish, right?

> Ahi is tuna. We also have aku which is also tuna. It's confusing.

Then there's mahi mahi...

http://www.lorisfoods.com/wp-content...Mahi-Mahi2.png

A dolphin with no porpoise in life, lol...

;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 10:24 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 6:35:58 AM UTC-10, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
>>
>> Is the purple stuff poi?

> That's an Okinawan sweet potato. That was a nice addition to the salad. It makes a pretty good pie.
>
> https://loxstockandbarrel.com/2013/1...aupia-topping/

"Okinawan sweet potatoes have tan or brown skin and a dark purple flesh
that becomes even more vibrant when cooked. They have a dry dense
texture, taste sweet, and their flavor is similar to chestnuts or taro."

Well that's cool, have not seen those in our stores and maybe never
will...bummer.

I guess poi is more pink?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2018 10:36 AM, Casa estilo antiguo wrote:
> On 1/13/2018 12:24 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> That's an Oinkawan
> >
> > https://imgur.com/a/jCmVb
> >

> Oink Oink! lol

forged.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:50:02 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Ahi is fish, right?

Ahi is tuna. We also have aku which is also tuna. It's confusing.

==

Either/or ... ok thanks)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 03:51:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 18:04:17 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I am doing a bake of brown rice, chicken breast, peas, celery, bell
>>>peppers
>>>and peas. Also contains olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, parsley, thyme
>>>and
>>>just a tiny bit of oregano. Cooked everything ahead of time. It's just
>>>heating through now. Used some onion free chicken broth powder to season
>>>the
>>>rice and veggies. Smells really good.
>>>
>>>If there is time, I will likely bake a tube of crescent rolls. Got a lot
>>>of
>>>them for cheap at Walmart. On second thought... Whole wheat cheese
>>>biscuits
>>>might be better. Don't want to mess up a healthy meal with poofy fluff.

>> poofy
>> 1 with homosexual tendencies widely used in central scotland*
>> <https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poofy>

>Oh my, what a faux pas I have made! See why I need you, Bruce!

Maybe it's just a terminology variation. Maybe y'all also speak of
poof pastry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 07:43:13 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 04:07:17 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>> >You wake up and start posting way too early, Gary.
>> >
>> >It's Saturday morning - Time to get a new stash of frozen pizzas,
>> >extra cheese, and broccoli!

>> Isn't McDonalds open 24/24?

>In my area, no. They do open by 6am though. Sausage biscuit and
>hash browns for $2.00 plus tax is hard to beat and tasty.
>(ignoring ingredients on that combo). I discovered that when I
>had to drive somewhere to get free wifi. I get free wifi at home
>now and it rules. SO much faster than dial-up: Rather than
>dial-up speed of up to 53 Kbps, this wifi gets up to 54 Mbps)
>
>My sister sent me a Christmas card with a $25 McDonalds gift
>card. oh yeah! :-D

That is one classy lady right there!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:11:10 -0500, Alex > wrote:

wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 16:11:08 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> I love Ziploc bags. I bought a box of 500 gallon sized ones today. I use them for sous vide, mixing dough, and even storage. They make my life easier and better.

>> The one gallon size suck. They are too large for most items. The one
>> quart size is very often too small. However they don't make a two
>> quart size. I find Zip-Locs a big rip off. I'll change my mind when
>> they make a two quart size... but they never will. They get you to
>> waste money buying the expensive too large gallon size.

>Let me send you $20 so you can afford them for the next ten years.
>What's your address so I can mail a check?

What a big sport you are... $20 won't buy me one year's worth and I'm
stingy about using Zip-Locs... I even wash those I've used for dry
items like crackers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 04:07:17 -0600, Sqwertz
> > > wrote:

> > > You wake up and start posting way too early, Gary.
> > >
> > > It's Saturday morning - Time to get a new stash of frozen pizzas,
> > > extra cheese, and broccoli!

> > Isn't McDonalds open 24/24?

> In my area, no. They do open by 6am though. Sausage biscuit and
> hash browns for $2.00 plus tax is hard to beat and tasty.
> (ignoring ingredients on that combo). I discovered that when I
> had to drive somewhere to get free wifi. I get free wifi at home
> now and it rules. SO much faster than dial-up: Rather than
> dial-up speed of up to 53 Kbps, this wifi gets up to 54 Mbps)
>
> My sister sent me a Christmas card with a $25 McDonalds gift
> card. oh yeah! :-D

Actually we do have 24/7 McDonalds. Just not near you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:44:14 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> > > Me too. We go through at least two dairy product tubs each week,
> > > yogurt, or sour cream, margarine etc. Those make suitable
> > > containers for leftovers. They can be washed out and used again,
> > > or they can go into cycling. There is not neat to create more
> > > waste.
> > >

> > When I buy fresh cheeses I'll store them in the fridge in a freezer
> > bag (whatever brand you choose). But I also keep the cheese well
> > wrapped inside the bag. The bags can be washed and reused a few
> > times. Something like tomato sauce in a freezer bag? I can't see
> > being able to re-use the bag after storing acidic tomato sauce in
> > it.
> >
> > I have stackable Rubbermaid containers I use for nearly all my
> > refrigerated and frozen leftovers. Lots of different sizes. They
> > don't take up much room.
> >
> > I wouldn't trust the seal on a freezer bag when storing liquid.
> > Does it have an actual zipper tab? Or do you have to rely on
> > Yellow + Green = Blue to make sure you've got the bag sealed?
> >
> > This might be where a Food Saver comes into play. Me, I just use
> > reliable, reusable, washable, stackable freezer containers.
> >
> > Jill

> I make 12 gallons (+/-) of spaghetti sauce at a time. I fill each
> quart Ziploc freezer bag with 16 ounces of sauce. I lay them flat,
> overlapping on a couple of half sheet pans. I put the pans in the
> deep freeze until everything is frozen solid. Then I use a 2 or 3
> three gallon zip bags to corral all the bags of spaghetti sauce.
> Everything is flat, everything is frozen and kept together. Once
> years ago I had a couple of bags from the same box leak immediately as
> I filled them. I called the company and they sent me coupons for a
> couple of free boxes of bags.
> Janet US
>
> ==
>
> Blimey, what pan are you using???

Sheldon's that mounts to the floor and is on gimbales of course!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:26:27 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/12/2018 1:21 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 08:44:23 -0000, "Ophelia" >

>>> me too
>>> Janet US

>> Doesn't everyone?
>>
>> Cheri

>I don't. Not liquids.
>
>Jill

I don't use Zip-Locs for liquids either, sometimes they do leak, how
do I know this, I use them for marinating but always in a bowl....
they do save on the quantity of marinade needed.
I mostly use them for freezing fresh meats like roasts that I first
wrap with Saran to prevent freezer burn and then into the Zip-Lock.
Everytime I use Zip-Locs it ****es me off that they don't make and
refuse to make a two quart size. It's gotten to the point that I'm
ready to boycot Zip-Loc... the plastic bags at the produce section
work as well if not better and they are free... after wraping in Saran
place the item in a produce bag, squeeze out the air twist the open
end and tie a knot in it, voila... screw you, Zip-Loc! In fact the
produce manager knows me and gave me an entire roll of bags. Zip-Loc
really should make a two quart and a three quart size, the gallon size
is the least useful. a lot of wasted space. The typical 2-3 pound
piece of meat really needs a 2 qt size, the 1 qt is two small but the
gallon size is way too big. I've phoned Zip-Loc on this issue,
however their people who answer their phone are rudest know nothings
of any company I've ever contacted, and I contact lots. The vast
majority of major companys are very receptive to comments and most all
send me a stack of coupons, even for items 'll never use. Last time
Lays sent me a dozen coupons for free chips, kept one and gave the
rest to the grands. Zip-Loc wouldn't give the perspiration from their
crotch, the snotnosed young imbecile was not at all interested in
relaying my comment about making 2 qt bags... shoulda told the ****
that zip-lock couldn't make proper sized condoms and their one quart
was too small for me... perhaps the Zip-Loc gals all take the
prolapsed gallon size.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > Freezer quart bags cost about $.042 and the
> > regular cost about $.022. It's the price I'm willing to pay for
> > convenience.

> OK, I've got a question for you or anyone here that uses them.
>
> I freeze some things in regular ziplock bags and I've never had a
> problem with them. Note: I always use up that frozen food within
> a couple of months and normally way less time. What is special
> about their freezer bags that warrants twice the price of the
> regular ones? I've always wondered.

Longer storage with a fresher product. People with chest freezers can
save a lot of money using seasonal sales items from meats to veggies
and fruits for a year or more with them. Regular packaging, including
adding a ziplock over it is not the same preservation level.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:50:02 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > ==
> >
> > Ahi is fish, right?

> Ahi is tuna. We also have aku which is also tuna. It's confusing.

It's a quality difference in eating raw between the types.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:44:14 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> > > Me too. We go through at least two dairy product tubs each week,
> > > yogurt, or sour cream, margarine etc. Those make suitable
> > > containers for leftovers. They can be washed out and used again,
> > > or they can go into cycling. There is not neat to create more
> > > waste.
> > >

> > When I buy fresh cheeses I'll store them in the fridge in a freezer
> > bag (whatever brand you choose). But I also keep the cheese well
> > wrapped inside the bag. The bags can be washed and reused a few
> > times. Something like tomato sauce in a freezer bag? I can't see
> > being able to re-use the bag after storing acidic tomato sauce in
> > it.
> >
> > I have stackable Rubbermaid containers I use for nearly all my
> > refrigerated and frozen leftovers. Lots of different sizes. They
> > don't take up much room.
> >
> > I wouldn't trust the seal on a freezer bag when storing liquid.
> > Does it have an actual zipper tab? Or do you have to rely on
> > Yellow + Green = Blue to make sure you've got the bag sealed?
> >
> > This might be where a Food Saver comes into play. Me, I just use
> > reliable, reusable, washable, stackable freezer containers.
> >
> > Jill

> I make 12 gallons (+/-) of spaghetti sauce at a time. I fill each
> quart Ziploc freezer bag with 16 ounces of sauce. I lay them flat,
> overlapping on a couple of half sheet pans. I put the pans in the
> deep freeze until everything is frozen solid. Then I use a 2 or 3
> three gallon zip bags to corral all the bags of spaghetti sauce.
> Everything is flat, everything is frozen and kept together. Once
> years ago I had a couple of bags from the same box leak immediately as
> I filled them. I called the company and they sent me coupons for a
> couple of free boxes of bags.
> Janet US
>
> ==
>
> Blimey, what pan are you using???

Sheldon's that mounts to the floor and is on gimbales of course!

==

<g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 16:13:04 -0500, wrote:

>I don't use Zip-Locs for liquids either, sometimes they do leak, how
>do I know this, I use them for marinating but always in a bowl....
>they do save on the quantity of marinade needed.
> I mostly use them for freezing fresh meats like roasts that I first
>wrap with Saran to prevent freezer burn and then into the Zip-Lock.
>Everytime I use Zip-Locs it ****es me off that they don't make and
>refuse to make a two quart size. It's gotten to the point that I'm
>ready to boycot Zip-Loc... the plastic bags at the produce section
>work as well if not better and they are free... after wraping in Saran
>place the item in a produce bag, squeeze out the air twist the open
>end and tie a knot in it, voila... screw you, Zip-Loc! In fact the
>produce manager knows me and gave me an entire roll of bags. Zip-Loc
>really should make a two quart and a three quart size, the gallon size
>is the least useful. a lot of wasted space. The typical 2-3 pound
>piece of meat really needs a 2 qt size, the 1 qt is two small but the
>gallon size is way too big. I've phoned Zip-Loc on this issue,
>however their people who answer their phone are rudest know nothings
>of any company I've ever contacted, and I contact lots. The vast
>majority of major companys are very receptive to comments and most all
>send me a stack of coupons, even for items 'll never use. Last time
>Lays sent me a dozen coupons for free chips, kept one and gave the
>rest to the grands. Zip-Loc wouldn't give the perspiration from their
>crotch, the snotnosed young imbecile was not at all interested in
>relaying my comment about making 2 qt bags... shoulda told the ****
>that zip-lock couldn't make proper sized condoms and their one quart
>was too small for me... perhaps the Zip-Loc gals all take the
>prolapsed gallon size.

Can you freeze vodka in ziploc bags? Then you could attach a bag to a
drip system over your head when you go to sleep.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 15:17:56 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 5:50:02 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Ahi is fish, right?

>> Ahi is tuna. We also have aku which is also tuna. It's confusing.

>It's a quality difference in eating raw between the types.

No, they're different kinds of tuna.