Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tomorrow (1/3/2018)

On 1/3/2018 10:52 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 07:46:00 -0400, wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 03:25:56 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Good work. We've got a heated bird bath. It's 2 F here. The readout
>>> on my freezer indicates 5 F. We're expecting a low of -10 F (IIRC)
>>> on Saturday. I'm sure Graham is "enjoying" colder temps than that.
>>>
>>> I saw a cat drinking from the bird bath a couple of mornings ago.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> They were showing some pics on local tv of the last storm and there
>> was one of a ruby throat sitting on an icy branch, I was surprised,
>> thought they always went south, seemed happy though.
>>
>> Graham will miss our next storm coming tomorrow, said to be worse than
>> the Xmas Day one so they are warning people to better prepare
>> themselves this time for power outages. I haven't gone out to clear
>> the plastic from the tree, temperature has never come above -10C with
>> wind chill factor, maybe tomorrows storm will do the job.

> there's a doozie of a winter storm coming in off the Atlantic that is
> going to hit you guys on the coast by mid-morning tomorrow.. Buckle
> up!
> Janet US

It is snowing like crazy right now. I haven't seen anything like it
since I left Memphis. This is supposed to keep up until 6PM.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2018 10:56 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 07:07:22 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

> snip
>>
>> This is the first year here I've had to run water on all the outside
>> taps to keep the pipes from freezing. Record cold temps. Usually I
>> only need to wear a sweater when I go out. This year I get to wear a
>> coat.
>>

> snip
>>
>> Jill

> Stop!!! This is when you are supposed to tell me how beautiful your
> flowering shrubs are! (are you still wearing shorts?)
> Janet US

LOL The azaleas bloom twice a year and they just stopped. I do wear
shorts indoors year round. Tank tops, too.

I did don a coat and slacks and shoes to go out and chip ice off the
HVAC unit. This is not a good time for the fan to get blocked.

This is very uncommon weather. It's supposed to keep snowing until 6PM
or so. I put my shorts back on when I came back inside. It's
snowing like crazy. Very weird weather.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-03 9:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Well, I live in the great (right now) cold south and there's no shutoff
> valve inside or behind a panel for the exterior spigots.Â* The things you
> attach a hose to.Â* I have five outdoor spigots, front, back and side.
> The pipes run under a slab.Â* I'll let them drip rather than have to deal
> with a plumbing bill later.Â* Trust me, there is no way to only shut off
> the outside spigots.

You should not have a problem. So long as the pipes lead into the house
and the house is warm they will likely be okay. When the water freezes
the pressure will take the path of least resistance and push water back
into the house. It is a different matter when there is a long length of
pipe that freezes. Some people turn off the taps inside but forget to
open them outside. That allows the pressure to build up inside the
pipe. I confess that I have left my outside lines open for most winters
and I have never had a problem. The years I turned them off inside I
opened up that outside tap.

I had a rude surprise on News Day..... no water. The line from the well
froze. The water is about 10 feet from the top of the well so there is
about 7 feet of plastic pipe exposed. It has only happened to me once
before, about 3 years ago when we had an exceptionally cold winter. I
dropped a Halogen work lamp and it generated enough heat down there to
thaw the pipes enough to allow some water through and that, in turn,
melted the rest of the ice in the pipes. I left a spot light in there
for heat. It is about -8 here now and is supposed to get above freezing
by Monday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-03 10:50 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 07:15:14 -0500, jmcquown >

> The Worcestershire sauce makes all
>> the difference.
>>
>> Jill

> that's true in many dishes. You don't have to taste it.

You don't really want to taste Worcestershire sauce. It is nice to have
a little on foods to enhance flavours, but that stuff on its own is
downright nasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-03 10:53 AM, Janet wrote:

> When we moved to this house (built 1969's) there was only one way to
> turn off its water supply (outside, underground, with a special tool on
> a long pole.) There was no way at all to isolate any part of the indoor
> plumbing or the outside tap.
>
> I'm married to a classic Virgo engineer and installing indoor stopcocks
> at various strategic points (including one for the outside tap) was one
> of the first things he did after we moved in.

My late brother in law was an engineer and built his own ski chalet.
After he died his ex-wife asked me to change some faucets and I was
surprised to discover he had no shut offs. We fixed that. We went out
and got the plumbing parts and install a number of them. We had a master
shut off for the hot and the cold lines and then at all the fixtures. I
hate having to shut off all the water in the house to work on one faucet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 13:38:12 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/3/2018 10:56 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 07:07:22 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>

>> snip
>>>
>>> This is the first year here I've had to run water on all the outside
>>> taps to keep the pipes from freezing. Record cold temps. Usually I
>>> only need to wear a sweater when I go out. This year I get to wear a
>>> coat.
>>>

>> snip
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Stop!!! This is when you are supposed to tell me how beautiful your
>> flowering shrubs are! (are you still wearing shorts?)
>> Janet US
>>

>LOL The azaleas bloom twice a year and they just stopped. I do wear
>shorts indoors year round. Tank tops, too.
>
>I did don a coat and slacks and shoes to go out and chip ice off the
>HVAC unit. This is not a good time for the fan to get blocked.
>
>This is very uncommon weather. It's supposed to keep snowing until 6PM
>or so. I put my shorts back on when I came back inside. It's
>snowing like crazy. Very weird weather.
>
>Jill

Don't forget to flush a couple of times during the night. That should
keep the water in the pipes moving. Perhaps keep the cupboard doors
under your sinks open over night. Water piping runs along the outside
walls and is subject to cold.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2018 1:08 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 13:38:12 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/3/2018 10:56 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 07:07:22 -0500, jmcquown >
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> snip
>>>>
>>> snip
>>> Stop!!! This is when you are supposed to tell me how beautiful your
>>> flowering shrubs are! (are you still wearing shorts?)
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> LOL The azaleas bloom twice a year and they just stopped. I do wear
>> shorts indoors year round. Tank tops, too.
>>
>> I did don a coat and slacks and shoes to go out and chip ice off the
>> HVAC unit. This is not a good time for the fan to get blocked.
>>
>> This is very uncommon weather. It's supposed to keep snowing until 6PM
>> or so. I put my shorts back on when I came back inside. It's
>> snowing like crazy. Very weird weather.
>>
>> Jill

> Don't forget to flush a couple of times during the night. That should
> keep the water in the pipes moving. Perhaps keep the cupboard doors
> under your sinks open over night. Water piping runs along the outside
> walls and is subject to cold.
> Janet US

Â* Not always ... We have no pipes at all on any outside walls here
because that's how I designed it . All my plumbing is run underneath the
house , most comes up thru the floor - exception is the master bath
vanity , pipes are in an inside walls so they can be hidden . Average
temps under the house run in the mid-50's ... I don't worry about frozen
pipes .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 14:03:14 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-01-03 10:53 AM, Janet wrote:
>

>> When we moved to this house (built 1969's) there was only one way to
>> turn off its water supply (outside, underground, with a special tool on
>> a long pole.) There was no way at all to isolate any part of the indoor
>> plumbing or the outside tap.
>>
>> I'm married to a classic Virgo engineer and installing indoor stopcocks
>> at various strategic points (including one for the outside tap) was one
>> of the first things he did after we moved in.

Not much of an engineeer... outside taps are called hose bibs or
sillcocks and there are frost proof hose bibs for cold climate... so
long as the hose is disconnected for winter they won't freeze because
the valve seal is way inside into the heated house. Frost proof
sillcocks cost relatively little.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1...d=151500 8189

>My late brother in law was an engineer and built his own ski chalet.
>After he died his ex-wife asked me to change some faucets and I was
>surprised to discover he had no shut offs. We fixed that. We went out
>and got the plumbing parts and install a number of them. We had a master
>shut off for the hot and the cold lines and then at all the fixtures. I
>hate having to shut off all the water in the house to work on one faucet.

Um, if the home is not heated in winter shutting off the water won't
help, ALL the piping needs to be drained including waste lines and
blown out with compressed air and antifreeze added to P traps,
toilets, and anywhere standing water accumulates that can't be drained
such as dish/clothes washers... use the antifreeze made for mobile
homes... hot water heating systems should contain antifreeze at all
times, it's made so it also lubes the circulator pumps.... don't use
automobile antifreeze. It's good to have valves that isolate the
various systems making it easy to work on each system without draining
everything but closing those valves does nothing to prevent freeze
ups. in cold climes unless a building is heated everything needs to
be drained and blown out includng any water tanks, expansion/pressure,
and fill all standing water traps with proper antifreeze.
When installing frost free sillcocks be sure they slant towards the
ground so they drain. In emergencies allow water to run some, moving
water can't freeze... wasted water is a lot less costly then major
plumbing repairs, and if a pipe bursts inside a dwelling then we're
talking MAJOR bucks or usually the building needs to be demolished,
removed, and rebuilt correctly.
I laugh when people say their relative is an engineer so they are
safe... bullshit... rarely do engineers have any common sense, nor can
they fabricate what they dream up. I haven't yet met an engineer who
could operate a lathe or milling machine, most are lucky they can
operate a skillsaw without chopping off their fingers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 15:48:32 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 1/3/2018 1:08 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 13:38:12 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> LOL The azaleas bloom twice a year and they just stopped. I do wear
>>> shorts indoors year round. Tank tops, too.
>>>
>>> I did don a coat and slacks and shoes to go out and chip ice off the
>>> HVAC unit. This is not a good time for the fan to get blocked.
>>>
>>> This is very uncommon weather. It's supposed to keep snowing until 6PM
>>> or so. I put my shorts back on when I came back inside. It's
>>> snowing like crazy. Very weird weather.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Don't forget to flush a couple of times during the night. That should
>> keep the water in the pipes moving. Perhaps keep the cupboard doors
>> under your sinks open over night. Water piping runs along the outside
>> walls and is subject to cold.
>> Janet US

> * Not always ... We have no pipes at all on any outside walls here
>because that's how I designed it . All my plumbing is run underneath the
>house , most comes up thru the floor - exception is the master bath
>vanity , pipes are in an inside walls so they can be hidden . Average
>temps under the house run in the mid-50's ... I don't worry about frozen
>pipes .

That's good. I was thinking of the construction around here where
when the water pipe leaves the crawl space it comes up near the
outside wall to access the faucet piping. The spacing may be about
6-10 inches but if it is really cold the space under that cabinet
sometimes gets cold enough to freeze the pipes. The recommended
procedure around here is just open the cabinet at night to avoid
problems. Or let a faucet drip.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-03 5:18 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 14:03:14 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2018-01-03 10:53 AM, Janet wrote:
>>

>>> When we moved to this house (built 1969's) there was only one way to
>>> turn off its water supply (outside, underground, with a special tool on
>>> a long pole.) There was no way at all to isolate any part of the indoor
>>> plumbing or the outside tap.
>>>
>>> I'm married to a classic Virgo engineer and installing indoor stopcocks
>>> at various strategic points (including one for the outside tap) was one
>>> of the first things he did after we moved in.

> Not much of an engineeer... outside taps are called hose bibs or
> sillcocks and there are frost proof hose bibs for cold climate... so
> long as the hose is disconnected for winter they won't freeze because
> the valve seal is way inside into the heated house. Frost proof
> sillcocks cost relatively little.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1...d=151500 8189

>> My late brother in law was an engineer and built his own ski chalet.
>> After he died his ex-wife asked me to change some faucets and I was
>> surprised to discover he had no shut offs. We fixed that. We went out
>> and got the plumbing parts and install a number of them. We had a master
>> shut off for the hot and the cold lines and then at all the fixtures. I
>> hate having to shut off all the water in the house to work on one faucet.

> Um, if the home is not heated in winter shutting off the water won't
> help, ALL the piping needs to be drained including waste lines and
> blown out with compressed air and antifreeze added to P traps,

BiL's chalet was heated. The concern was not over freezing. It was just
to make future plumbing repaiers a little easier.

> I laugh when people say their relative is an engineer so they are
> safe... bullshit...

I didn't say that he was safe. I said that I was surprised that he did
not have shutoffs.

> rarely do engineers have any common sense, nor can
> they fabricate what they dream up. I haven't yet met an engineer who
> could operate a lathe or milling machine, most are lucky they can
> operate a skillsaw without chopping off their fingers.

Actually, this guy was a fire prevention engineer. He designed the house
himself, and had contractors do must of the work. I helped him with a
few jobs up there and found it frustrating because he was so tediously
slow.

My father OTOH was not a trained engineer but worked in a number of
highly technical jobs and ended up as superintendent of production at a
Union Carbide plant. He was very handy around the house and worked very
quickly and safely.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 15:56:07 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>That's good. I was thinking of the construction around here where
>when the water pipe leaves the crawl space it comes up near the
>outside wall to access the faucet piping. The spacing may be about
>6-10 inches but if it is really cold the space under that cabinet
>sometimes gets cold enough to freeze the pipes. The recommended
>procedure around here is just open the cabinet at night to avoid
>problems. Or let a faucet drip.
>Janet US

The cold has been so deep here and for so many days in a row, that
keeping the cabinet in the laundry room open isn't helping, even with
heat tracings in the other exposed pipes.

We've let the faucet drip down there and also in an upstairs bathroom
the past few days.

When we first moved in here 25 years ago and did not know how the
areas around some of the piping were not insulated as well as they
should have been, we had a surprise or two. Never again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2018 2:03 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-01-03 10:53 AM, Janet wrote:

>> Â* I'm married to a classic Virgo engineer and installing indoor stopcocks
>> at various strategic points (including one for the outside tap) was one
>> of the first things he did after we moved in.

> My late brother in law was an engineer and built his own ski chalet.
> After he died his ex-wife asked me to change some faucets and I was
> surprised to discover he had no shut offs.Â* We fixed that. We went out
> and got the plumbing parts and install a number of them. We had a master
> shut off for the hot and the cold lines and then at all the fixtures. I
> hate having to shut off all the water in the house to work on one faucet.

There are two types of engineer. They make elaborate setups covering
every possible potential problem, or they are cheap and skip things like
shut off valves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-03 7:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/3/2018 2:03 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-01-03 10:53 AM, Janet wrote:

>>> Â* I'm married to a classic Virgo engineer and installing indoor
>>> stopcocks
>>> at various strategic points (including one for the outside tap) was one
>>> of the first things he did after we moved in.

>> My late brother in law was an engineer and built his own ski chalet.
>> After he died his ex-wife asked me to change some faucets and I was
>> surprised to discover he had no shut offs.Â* We fixed that. We went out
>> and got the plumbing parts and install a number of them. We had a
>> master shut off for the hot and the cold lines and then at all the
>> fixtures. I hate having to shut off all the water in the house to work
>> on one faucet.

> There are two types of engineer.Â* They make elaborate setups covering
> every possible potential problem, or they are cheap and skip things like
> shut off valves.

i guess he had a bit of each type in him. He had a dual furnace system,
one for one end of the house and one for the other. There was a large
vestibule at the front door, four bedrooms to the left and the living
room, dining room and kitchen at the other end and heavy fire doors to
each end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 2:15:27 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> Those are also pretty little things. :-D
> I haven't seen bluebirds around here lately.
>
> I've been putting water and crackers on my back balcony lately.
> Squirrels and birds seem to remember this location as I do it
> every winter when conditions are bad.
>
> Going to be especially bad until next monday. Snow predicted here
> tonight from 4-8 inches, followed by a deep freeze -as if it's
> not already bad enough. Low this morning was 10 F and that's
> actual degrees not windchill.
>
> I've lived here since 1973 and I think this is only the 3rd time
> it's gone this low. Even lower temps predicted for the next few
> days.
>
> I could sure use some of that 'Global Warming' right about now.

You probably are getting some global warming. Our weather is like a giant heat engine. Adding heat puts the weather into turbo mode. We can expect to see more exciting and energetic events as more energy gets pumped into our weather system. Who doesn't like a little more excitement in their lives?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 19:21:38 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 15:56:07 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>

>>That's good. I was thinking of the construction around here where
>>when the water pipe leaves the crawl space it comes up near the
>>outside wall to access the faucet piping. The spacing may be about
>>6-10 inches but if it is really cold the space under that cabinet
>>sometimes gets cold enough to freeze the pipes. The recommended
>>procedure around here is just open the cabinet at night to avoid
>>problems. Or let a faucet drip.
>>Janet US

>The cold has been so deep here and for so many days in a row, that
>keeping the cabinet in the laundry room open isn't helping, even with
>heat tracings in the other exposed pipes.
>
>We've let the faucet drip down there and also in an upstairs bathroom
>the past few days.
>
>When we first moved in here 25 years ago and did not know how the
>areas around some of the piping were not insulated as well as they
>should have been, we had a surprise or two. Never again.

I've been watching the weather for you guys. Pretty cold for you and
from what the weatherman says it is going to blow a gale and be even
colder. Keep safe and warm.
we baby sit a neighbor's house while they vacation during the winter.
When we have freezing temps we let a faucet drip, leave cabinets open
and flush toilets once per day.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/3/2018 4:18 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 14:03:14 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2018-01-03 10:53 AM, Janet wrote:
>>
>>> When we moved to this house (built 1969's) there was only one way to
>>> turn off its water supply (outside, underground, with a special tool on
>>> a long pole.) There was no way at all to isolate any part of the indoor
>>> plumbing or the outside tap.
>>>
>>> I'm married to a classic Virgo engineer and installing indoor stopcocks
>>> at various strategic points (including one for the outside tap) was one
>>> of the first things he did after we moved in.

> Not much of an engineeer... outside taps are called hose bibs or
> sillcocks and there are frost proof hose bibs for cold climate... so
> long as the hose is disconnected for winter they won't freeze because
> the valve seal is way inside into the heated house. Frost proof
> sillcocks cost relatively little.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1...d=151500 8189

>> My late brother in law was an engineer and built his own ski chalet.
>> After he died his ex-wife asked me to change some faucets and I was
>> surprised to discover he had no shut offs. We fixed that. We went out
>> and got the plumbing parts and install a number of them. We had a master
>> shut off for the hot and the cold lines and then at all the fixtures. I
>> hate having to shut off all the water in the house to work on one faucet.

> Um, if the home is not heated in winter shutting off the water won't
> help, ALL the piping needs to be drained including waste lines and
> blown out with compressed air and antifreeze added to P traps,
> toilets, and anywhere standing water accumulates that can't be drained
> such as dish/clothes washers... use the antifreeze made for mobile
> homes... hot water heating systems should contain antifreeze at all
> times, it's made so it also lubes the circulator pumps.... don't use
> automobile antifreeze. It's good to have valves that isolate the
> various systems making it easy to work on each system without draining
> everything but closing those valves does nothing to prevent freeze
> ups. in cold climes unless a building is heated everything needs to
> be drained and blown out includng any water tanks, expansion/pressure,
> and fill all standing water traps with proper antifreeze.
> When installing frost free sillcocks be sure they slant towards the
> ground so they drain. In emergencies allow water to run some, moving
> water can't freeze... wasted water is a lot less costly then major
> plumbing repairs, and if a pipe bursts inside a dwelling then we're
> talking MAJOR bucks or usually the building needs to be demolished,
> removed, and rebuilt correctly.
> I laugh when people say their relative is an engineer so they are
> safe... bullshit... rarely do engineers have any common sense, nor can
> they fabricate what they dream up. I haven't yet met an engineer who
> could operate a lathe or milling machine, most are lucky they can
> operate a skillsaw without chopping off their fingers.

Â* Wrong again Sheldon . You use that bigass brush to tar a lot of
people that don't deserve it ... I learned the basics if lathe and mill
operation from an ME over 35 years ago - and now have my very own
machine shop out in the yard . Ever fit a bushing to .00075" clearance ?
Design and fabricate custom suspension components for a touring Harley ?
Rebuild a small block Chevy motor ? Cook tater tots in an air fryer ?

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 07:15:16 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> https://s13.postimg.org/5misksepz/birds-ice.jpg
>>
>> Blue birds! How pretty. Yep, they're thirsty. It's freezing cold down
>> here and all the birds need water.

>Those are also pretty little things. :-D
>I haven't seen bluebirds around here lately.
>
>I've been putting water and crackers on my back balcony lately.
>Squirrels and birds seem to remember this location as I do it
>every winter when conditions are bad.
>
>Going to be especially bad until next monday. Snow predicted here
>tonight from 4-8 inches, followed by a deep freeze -as if it's
>not already bad enough. Low this morning was 10 F and that's
>actual degrees not windchill.
>
>I've lived here since 1973 and I think this is only the 3rd time
>it's gone this low. Even lower temps predicted for the next few
>days.
>
>I could sure use some of that 'Global Warming' right about now.

Dumb Gary doesn't get it as usual:

<https://i.imgur.com/aynABv6.jpg>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I could sure use some of that 'Global Warming' right about now.
> >

> Dumb Gary doesn't get it as usual:

That *was* a joke, Bruce. You saw the smirky face there.

> <https://i.imgur.com/aynABv6.jpg>

That's a funny cartoon. lol.
Anyway....quite miserable here now. Please FedEx a box of warm
air from your area.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 08:48:11 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> > I could sure use some of that 'Global Warming' right about now.
>> >

>> Dumb Gary doesn't get it as usual:

>That *was* a joke, Bruce. You saw the smirky face there.
>
>> <https://i.imgur.com/aynABv6.jpg>

>That's a funny cartoon. lol.
>Anyway....quite miserable here now. Please FedEx a box of warm
>air from your area.

Don't know about warm air, I am making a big pot of beef soup, ready
at lunchtime which is good as the trees are starting to move. It
would be edible anytime now if need be but the pundits say the
hurricane+ winds will arrive through the night. I thought soup might
be practical as there are a couple of people in this building who are
frail, one has leukemia and if things go very bad, his carer won't get
here, at least I can deliver hot food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 08:48:11 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:

> >> Dumb Gary doesn't get it as usual:

> >That *was* a joke, Bruce. You saw the smirky face there.
> >
> >> <https://i.imgur.com/aynABv6.jpg>

> >That's a funny cartoon. lol.
> >Anyway....quite miserable here now. Please FedEx a box of warm
> >air from your area.

> Don't know about warm air, I am making a big pot of beef soup, ready
> at lunchtime which is good as the trees are starting to move. It
> would be edible anytime now if need be but the pundits say the
> hurricane+ winds will arrive through the night. I thought soup might
> be practical as there are a couple of people in this building who are
> frail, one has leukemia and if things go very bad, his carer won't get
> here, at least I can deliver hot food.

Storm is almost gone from here. I'm going out to scrape
windshield before it turns bitter cold overnight. It's heading
your way...Prepare for possible power outages now. Surprisingly,
my power has stayed on even though quite a few just 1/2-second
outages. No loss so far. whew!

Without power, I have no computer, no internet, no wifi for the
laptop, no television, no heat, no hot water, NO FUN!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Snow

Gary wrote:

> Storm is almost gone from here.

chuckle... I should have looked out the window before I said
that. It's snowing even heavier than ever right now and very high
winds too. (at 10am)

Anyway, no matter the electricity, I have a gas oven. In the oven
right now is the Terry Coombs peach cobbler. This time I added
one apple to the mix. Seemed like a good idea to me and I needed
to do something with that apple....honey crisp apple.

Also, when that comes out of the oven, I'm going to 'oven fry'
some chicken with bourbon bbq sauce. Good food and also a good
way to keep the place warm this morning. :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 9:58:22 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> wrote:

> > >That *was* a joke, Bruce. You saw the smirky face there.

> > >That's a funny cartoon. lol.
> > >Anyway....quite miserable here now. Please FedEx a box of warm
> > >air from your area.

> > Don't know about warm air, I am making a big pot of beef soup, ready
> > at lunchtime which is good as the trees are starting to move. It
> > would be edible anytime now if need be but the pundits say the
> > hurricane+ winds will arrive through the night. I thought soup might
> > be practical as there are a couple of people in this building who are
> > frail, one has leukemia and if things go very bad, his carer won't get
> > here, at least I can deliver hot food.

> Storm is almost gone from here. I'm going out to scrape
> windshield before it turns bitter cold overnight. It's heading
> your way...Prepare for possible power outages now. Surprisingly,
> my power has stayed on even though quite a few just 1/2-second
> outages. No loss so far. whew!
>
> Without power, I have no computer, no internet, no wifi for the
> laptop, no television, no heat, no hot water, NO FUN!

I'll admit no heat or hot water is no fun, but books work without electricity,
provided you have a source of light.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2018 11:08 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I thought you were having an assortment of wild birds

508 Kingfisher Creek Dr, Austin, TX

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Austin/508.../home/31838188

https://www.arivify.com/property/search/NN7zGlJHG

Owner Name Wertz Patricia L
Address 508 Kingfisher Creek Dr
City Austin
State TX
Zip Code 78748
Legal Description Lot 35 Blk Z Texas Oaks 10
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Without power, I have no computer, no internet, no wifi for the
> > laptop, no television, no heat, no hot water, NO FUN!

> I'll admit no heat or hot water is no fun, but books work without electricity,
> provided you have a source of light.

Well yeah, I read every day but I still like some background
noise going on. Whenever power goes off at night, I wake right
up...it's too quiet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-04 11:46 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>>> Without power, I have no computer, no internet, no wifi for the
>>> laptop, no television, no heat, no hot water, NO FUN!

>> I'll admit no heat or hot water is no fun, but books work without electricity,
>> provided you have a source of light.

> Well yeah, I read every day but I still like some background
> noise going on. Whenever power goes off at night, I wake right
> up...it's too quiet.

You are likely on city water. Living in a rural area I have the
additional problem of not having water. If we get conditions that
threaten our electricity w try to fill the batch tub and a few pails so
that we will have some water to flush the toilet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> You are likely on city water. Living in a rural area I have the
> additional problem of not having water. If we get conditions that
> threaten our electricity w try to fill the batch tub and a few pails so
> that we will have some water to flush the toilet.

I do have city water, gas for stove and telephone has never gone
off.
I also have gas heat but that doesn't work without electricity to
run the fan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 09:58:13 -0500, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> >That *was* a joke, Bruce. You saw the smirky face there.

>> >That's a funny cartoon. lol.
>> >Anyway....quite miserable here now. Please FedEx a box of warm
>> >air from your area.

>> Don't know about warm air, I am making a big pot of beef soup, ready
>> at lunchtime which is good as the trees are starting to move. It
>> would be edible anytime now if need be but the pundits say the
>> hurricane+ winds will arrive through the night. I thought soup might
>> be practical as there are a couple of people in this building who are
>> frail, one has leukemia and if things go very bad, his carer won't get
>> here, at least I can deliver hot food.

>Storm is almost gone from here. I'm going out to scrape
>windshield before it turns bitter cold overnight. It's heading
>your way...Prepare for possible power outages now. Surprisingly,
>my power has stayed on even though quite a few just 1/2-second
>outages. No loss so far. whew!
>
>Without power, I have no computer, no internet, no wifi for the
>laptop, no television, no heat, no hot water, NO FUN!

I would miss the internet I know that, but I have good LED lamps but
also my e-reader has a built in light if I need it, plus about 40
books I haven't yet read We are gas heat and have an emergency
generator so will stay warm. The wind is starting to rise now, going
to be hurricane + force they say.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 11:46:21 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> > Without power, I have no computer, no internet, no wifi for the
>> > laptop, no television, no heat, no hot water, NO FUN!

>> I'll admit no heat or hot water is no fun, but books work without electricity,
>> provided you have a source of light.

>Well yeah, I read every day but I still like some background
>noise going on. Whenever power goes off at night, I wake right
>up...it's too quiet.

I keep an old battery driven transistor radio on hand, checked the
batteries out Xmas Day, they're fine and I have more if need be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 11:54:36 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> You are likely on city water. Living in a rural area I have the
>> additional problem of not having water. If we get conditions that
>> threaten our electricity w try to fill the batch tub and a few pails so
>> that we will have some water to flush the toilet.

>I do have city water, gas for stove and telephone has never gone
>off.
>I also have gas heat but that doesn't work without electricity to
>run the fan.

Install a ventless gas heater.... needs no chimney or electric.
20,000 BTUs should be adequate for your apartment.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...tat+and+blower
Your local gas company can install it for you so it's safe. I have a
30,000 BTU one in my basement, I had it installed specifically for
power outages, however I leave it run all winter as it's 99%
efficiant, much more efficient than my boiler and keeps my boiler from
turning on nearly as often. It heats my basement so I leave the
basement door open, and at the other end of the house I have a floor
vent... during a power outage it heats my entire house. The only
drawback is it generates moisture so some condensation on windows
occurs, however that doesn't happen while my furnace is running too.
Still during a power outage I much rather deal with some condensation
than frozen pipes. Mine is propane but natural gas ones azre
available too and some can be converted. There are also ornate models
that look like old fashioned stoves/fireplaces... check he
http://worldmkting.com/gas-appliances/ga-all/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 12:50:47 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 11:54:36 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> You are likely on city water. Living in a rural area I have the
> >> additional problem of not having water. If we get conditions that
> >> threaten our electricity w try to fill the batch tub and a few pails so
> >> that we will have some water to flush the toilet.

> >I do have city water, gas for stove and telephone has never gone
> >off.
> >I also have gas heat but that doesn't work without electricity to
> >run the fan.

> Install a ventless gas heater....

He lives in an apartment.

I installed an automatic standby generator instead. It'll run
everything except the hot tub and clothes dryer. Most importantly,
it keeps my husband's CPAP running.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 10:09:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 12:50:47 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

>> >I do have city water, gas for stove and telephone has never gone
>> >off.
>> >I also have gas heat but that doesn't work without electricity to
>> >run the fan.

>> Install a ventless gas heater....

>He lives in an apartment.

So. . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 07:57:13 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/3/2018 7:14 AM, Gary wrote:
>> JBurns wrote:
>>>
>>> A cloud of these little guys flies in every evening to bathe when I am
>>> hand watering

>> http://www.google.com/search?ie=ISO-...eye+bird&gbv=1
>>
>> Those are some cute little birds. Love their coloring. :-D
>>
>> http://www.earthtimes.org/nature/sil...e-traffic/189/
>>

>I like the rainbow lorikeets. I'd love to have little parrots (or
>parakeets) flocking around my yard.
>
>Jill

They are awful birds, noisy and destructive. They hang out in flocks
screeching their heads off while chewing on anything and everything. I
much prefer the larger 28s, who only chatter quietly and occasionally
whistle while chewing on things they actually eat.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 07:49:49 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

<snip>

> * Dude , y'all got some awesomely pretty birds down there ! Is your
>climate sub-tropical ?

Mediterranean. Hot dry summers, cool fairly dry winters.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:21:16 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

<snip>

>He's in Australia. Of course it's sub-tropical. It's not winter
>there, either, but heading into summer. Aside from great birds, they
>have other cool animals such as koala bears. And wombats and kangaroos.
> Things you just don't generally see in the northern hemisphere outside
>of a zoo.
>
>Jill

She.

Mediterranean climate here. We are right in the middle of summer ATM
but it has been a mild one so far, no +40C yet.

We have the birds all year round, none of them are migratory. I guess
they don't need to be. I don't supplement their feed although I do
have a small hanging tray that I put crumbs on because we like to
watch them come down. The butcher birds turn up and everybody else
leaves, off to guard their nests or their small young.

The Willy wagtails will take on just about any bird. They are small
but very aggressive and noisy. It is common to see them driving off
magpies, ravens and even hawks just by constantly harrassing them. The
pair in my yard still had babies in the nest before Christmas and
every time I went near the nest I got abused and even kicked in the
head! Gotta admire their guts. The never harrass the butcher birds
though.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 07 Jan 2018 08:48:29 +0800, JBurns >
wrote:

>She.
>
>Mediterranean climate here. We are right in the middle of summer ATM
>but it has been a mild one so far, no +40C yet.
>
>We have the birds all year round, none of them are migratory. I guess
>they don't need to be. I don't supplement their feed although I do
>have a small hanging tray that I put crumbs on because we like to
>watch them come down. The butcher birds turn up and everybody else
>leaves, off to guard their nests or their small young.
>
>The Willy wagtails will take on just about any bird. They are small
>but very aggressive and noisy. It is common to see them driving off
>magpies, ravens and even hawks just by constantly harrassing them. The
>pair in my yard still had babies in the nest before Christmas and
>every time I went near the nest I got abused and even kicked in the
>head! Gotta admire their guts. The never harrass the butcher birds
>though.

Butcher birds are brutal. Two of them killed a python on our property
a few years ago. They pecked of its head and its tail end. I guess
they weren't sure what the dangerous side was.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 10:37:34 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

<snip>

> * Jill , I know where he is . All of Australia isn't subtropical though
>, don't the southern regions have some pretty fierce winter weather

The southern parts of Australia will have rainy and cold winter
weather, no ice and snow though. Rarely will the temp drop below zero,
that is reserved for winter in the inland areas where the winters are
dry and overnight temps regularly drop below zero.

If you want snow in Australia you are going to have to go inland to
the small mountains in the eastern states. Here in WA the land is so
old that we don't have mountains, they have been eroded over billions
of years.

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/6/2018 7:48 PM, JBurns wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:21:16 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>>

>> He's in Australia. Of course it's sub-tropical. It's not winter
>> there, either, but heading into summer. Aside from great birds, they
>> have other cool animals such as koala bears. And wombats and kangaroos.
>> Things you just don't generally see in the northern hemisphere outside
>> of a zoo.
>>
>> Jill

> She.

I apologize!

Jill

> Mediterranean climate here. We are right in the middle of summer ATM
> but it has been a mild one so far, no +40C yet.
>
> We have the birds all year round, none of them are migratory. I guess
> they don't need to be. I don't supplement their feed although I do
> have a small hanging tray that I put crumbs on because we like to
> watch them come down. The butcher birds turn up and everybody else
> leaves, off to guard their nests or their small young.
>
> The Willy wagtails will take on just about any bird. They are small
> but very aggressive and noisy. It is common to see them driving off
> magpies, ravens and even hawks just by constantly harrassing them. The
> pair in my yard still had babies in the nest before Christmas and
> every time I went near the nest I got abused and even kicked in the
> head! Gotta admire their guts. The never harrass the butcher birds
> though.
>
> JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-06 5:27 PM, JBurns wrote:

> They are awful birds, noisy and destructive. They hang out in flocks
> screeching their heads off while chewing on anything and everything. I
> much prefer the larger 28s, who only chatter quietly and occasionally
> whistle while chewing on things they actually eat.
>
> JB

When I lived in Perth, there was a soft-shell almond tree in the back
garden. The first year there was a good crop but probably picked early.
The second year there was a 28 that calmly perched there picking off the
almonds one by one. A pleasure to watch even though the crop was
therefore small.
Graham

2018 [email protected] General Cooking 15 02-01-2018 07:31 PM
Dinner tomorrow Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 10 27-10-2013 12:25 PM
Dinner tomorrow. Andy General Cooking 2 21-07-2006 12:35 AM
Dinner...for tomorrow :) sarah bennett General Cooking 3 14-06-2005 02:34 AM