Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tomorrow (1/3/2018)

On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 20:18:09 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/6/2018 7:48 PM, JBurns wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Jan 2018 09:21:16 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>>>
>>> He's in Australia. Of course it's sub-tropical. It's not winter
>>> there, either, but heading into summer. Aside from great birds, they
>>> have other cool animals such as koala bears. And wombats and kangaroos.
>>> Things you just don't generally see in the northern hemisphere outside
>>> of a zoo.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> She.
>>

>I apologize!
>
>Jill

No need. I am not fussed.

JB

>> Mediterranean climate here. We are right in the middle of summer ATM
>> but it has been a mild one so far, no +40C yet.
>>
>> We have the birds all year round, none of them are migratory. I guess
>> they don't need to be. I don't supplement their feed although I do
>> have a small hanging tray that I put crumbs on because we like to
>> watch them come down. The butcher birds turn up and everybody else
>> leaves, off to guard their nests or their small young.
>>
>> The Willy wagtails will take on just about any bird. They are small
>> but very aggressive and noisy. It is common to see them driving off
>> magpies, ravens and even hawks just by constantly harrassing them. The
>> pair in my yard still had babies in the nest before Christmas and
>> every time I went near the nest I got abused and even kicked in the
>> head! Gotta admire their guts. The never harrass the butcher birds
>> though.
>>
>> JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 8:56 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 8:20:06 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 1/4/2018 2:10 PM, wrote:
>>> On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 10:09:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> So. . .
>>>

>> So you can't go swapping out the water heater in an apartment without
>> permission.

> Sheldon wasn't talking about the water heater. He was talking about
> supplemental space heating.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My mistake. Sheldon did mention heating Gary's apartment. He also
mentioned having the gas company come out and hook it up. This makes me
think it would be considered a modification to the apartment, thus
requiring permission.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 9:29 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 8:20:06 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 1/4/2018 2:10 PM, wrote:
>> > On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 10:09:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>> pails >>>>> so

>> > So. . .
>> >

>> So you can't go swapping out the water heater in an apartment without
>> permission.

> Sheldon wasn't talking about the water heater.Â* He was talking about
> supplemental space heating.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> ==
>
> That is what I thought too and was starting to get confused.

I'm the one who got confused, sorry! It's a gas heater not a water
heater. (Somehwere upthread loss of water was mentioned.) Still, if
Gary would need to call the gas company to install a ventless gas heater
he would likely need permission from the landlord. The terms are
spelled out in his lease.

I've lived in a lot of apartments. The only thing I could change
without express permission was the paint colour. I could not have
tapped into the gas line, even if only for my specific unit, without
permission.

Imagine if some DIY guy (not talking about Sheldon) thought they could
install it, saw a Youtube video, suddenly an expert... kaboom! Ooops.

Not a good way for the landlord to find out about it. Heh.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> My mistake. Sheldon did mention heating Gary's apartment. He also
> mentioned having the gas company come out and hook it up. This makes me
> think it would be considered a modification to the apartment, thus
> requiring permission.

A silly thread too. I live in an apartment. If I have a problem,
I just call and they come almost immediately to fix the problem
always the same day or even at night if some emergency. I don't
need to change anything...just let them come and fix the problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 7:29 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Cindy Hamilton"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 8:20:06 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> On 1/4/2018 2:10 PM, wrote:
>> > On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 10:09:09 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>> pails >>>>> so

>> > So. . .
>> >

>> So you can't go swapping out the water heater in an apartment without
>> permission.

> Sheldon wasn't talking about the water heater.Â* He was talking about
> supplemental space heating.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
> ==
>
> That is what I thought too and was starting to get confused.

Regardless no sane landlord will ever allow a tenant to hook a gas
heater up to anything in their apartment.

The insurance liability would be insane.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 7:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/7/2018 8:56 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> So you can't go swapping out the water heater in an apartment without
>>> permission.

>> Sheldon wasn't talking about the water heater.Â* He was talking about
>> supplemental space heating.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> My mistake.Â* Sheldon did mention heating Gary's apartment.Â* He also
> mentioned having the gas company come out and hook it up.Â* This makes me
> think it would be considered a modification to the apartment, thus
> requiring permission.
>
> Jill

INSURANCE LIABILTY!

hello...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/7/2018 9:29 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Cindy Hamilton"Â wrote in message

>>> pails >>>>> so

>>> So you can't go swapping out the water heater in an apartment without
>>> permission.

>> Sheldon wasn't talking about the water heater. He was talking about
>> supplemental space heating.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>> ==
>>
>> That is what I thought too and was starting to get confused.
>>

> I'm the one who got confused, sorry! It's a gas heater not a water
> heater. (Somehwere upthread loss of water was mentioned.) Still, if Gary
> would need to call the gas company to install a ventless gas heater he
> would likely need permission from the landlord. The terms are spelled out
> in his lease.
>
> I've lived in a lot of apartments. The only thing I could change without
> express permission was the paint colour. I could not have tapped into the
> gas line, even if only for my specific unit, without permission.
>
> Imagine if some DIY guy (not talking about Sheldon) thought they could
> install it, saw a Youtube video, suddenly an expert... kaboom! Ooops.
>
> Not a good way for the landlord to find out about it. Heh.
>
> Jill

Some of the places we lived, you could change the paint, but only if
changing it back to original color when you moved.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 18:18:20 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 19:21:38 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 15:56:07 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>That's good. I was thinking of the construction around here where
>>>when the water pipe leaves the crawl space it comes up near the
>>>outside wall to access the faucet piping. The spacing may be about
>>>6-10 inches but if it is really cold the space under that cabinet
>>>sometimes gets cold enough to freeze the pipes. The recommended
>>>procedure around here is just open the cabinet at night to avoid
>>>problems. Or let a faucet drip.
>>>Janet US

>>The cold has been so deep here and for so many days in a row, that
>>keeping the cabinet in the laundry room open isn't helping, even with
>>heat tracings in the other exposed pipes.
>>
>>We've let the faucet drip down there and also in an upstairs bathroom
>>the past few days.
>>
>>When we first moved in here 25 years ago and did not know how the
>>areas around some of the piping were not insulated as well as they
>>should have been, we had a surprise or two. Never again.

>I've been watching the weather for you guys. Pretty cold for you and
>from what the weatherman says it is going to blow a gale and be even
>colder. Keep safe and warm.
>we baby sit a neighbor's house while they vacation during the winter.
>When we have freezing temps we let a faucet drip, leave cabinets open
>and flush toilets once per day.
>Janet US

Break in the weather starting today - it'll be in the 50s by week's
end.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/7/2018 10:50 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> My mistake. Sheldon did mention heating Gary's apartment. He also
>> mentioned having the gas company come out and hook it up. This makes me
>> think it would be considered a modification to the apartment, thus
>> requiring permission.

> A silly thread too. I live in an apartment. If I have a problem,
> I just call and they come almost immediately to fix the problem
> always the same day or even at night if some emergency. I don't
> need to change anything...just let them come and fix the problem.

That's exactly what I liked about apartment living. I loved it when all
I had to do was pick up the phone and the manager would send a repair
person and I didn't get a bill. Likewise they'd repair or replace a
broken appliance. It was great.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 09:41:29 -0500, Boron >
wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 18:18:20 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 19:21:38 -0500, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>>>The cold has been so deep here and for so many days in a row, that
>>>keeping the cabinet in the laundry room open isn't helping, even with
>>>heat tracings in the other exposed pipes.
>>>
>>>We've let the faucet drip down there and also in an upstairs bathroom
>>>the past few days.
>>>
>>>When we first moved in here 25 years ago and did not know how the
>>>areas around some of the piping were not insulated as well as they
>>>should have been, we had a surprise or two. Never again.

>>I've been watching the weather for you guys. Pretty cold for you and
>>from what the weatherman says it is going to blow a gale and be even
>>colder. Keep safe and warm.
>>we baby sit a neighbor's house while they vacation during the winter.
>>When we have freezing temps we let a faucet drip, leave cabinets open
>>and flush toilets once per day.
>>Janet US

>Break in the weather starting today - it'll be in the 50s by week's
>end.

I'm glad you checked in. I saw that your area was going to be above
normal within a few days. That's great as long as it doesn't cause
flooding. Is everything o.k. at your place? No wind damage?

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 10:20:51 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 09:41:29 -0500, Boron >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 18:18:20 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>>wrote:

>>>I've been watching the weather for you guys. Pretty cold for you and
>>>from what the weatherman says it is going to blow a gale and be even
>>>colder. Keep safe and warm.
>>>we baby sit a neighbor's house while they vacation during the winter.
>>>When we have freezing temps we let a faucet drip, leave cabinets open
>>>and flush toilets once per day.
>>>Janet US

>>Break in the weather starting today - it'll be in the 50s by week's
>>end.

>I'm glad you checked in. I saw that your area was going to be above
>normal within a few days. That's great as long as it doesn't cause
>flooding. Is everything o.k. at your place? No wind damage?
>
>Janet US

We got lucky - only got about 6"-7" of snow on Thursday and frankly,
I decided to work at home and I am off Friday, so I hunkered. I kept
the place warm, checked the laundry room to make sure those most
likely to freeze pipes were kept warm, and we were a-ok. Thanks for
asking.

My husband, however, had to work outside on Friday. The high was 11, I
think, with a brisk wind.He has special clothing for situations like
that, but we have some new balaclavas on order.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:35:53 -0500, Boron >
wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 10:20:51 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 09:41:29 -0500, Boron >
>>wrote:

>>>Break in the weather starting today - it'll be in the 50s by week's
>>>end.

>>I'm glad you checked in. I saw that your area was going to be above
>>normal within a few days. That's great as long as it doesn't cause
>>flooding. Is everything o.k. at your place? No wind damage?
>>
>>Janet US

> We got lucky - only got about 6"-7" of snow on Thursday and frankly,
>I decided to work at home and I am off Friday, so I hunkered. I kept
>the place warm, checked the laundry room to make sure those most
>likely to freeze pipes were kept warm, and we were a-ok. Thanks for
>asking.
>
>My husband, however, had to work outside on Friday. The high was 11, I
>think, with a brisk wind.He has special clothing for situations like
>that, but we have some new balaclavas on order.....

those one-piece thingys that cover most of face, neck and tuck down
into jacket are the bees knees. Don't forget his hands. Costco
usually has those hand warmer things on the shelves about now. Take
care.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:04:08 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:35:53 -0500, Boron >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 10:20:51 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>>wrote:

>>>I'm glad you checked in. I saw that your area was going to be above
>>>normal within a few days. That's great as long as it doesn't cause
>>>flooding. Is everything o.k. at your place? No wind damage?
>>>
>>>Janet US

>> We got lucky - only got about 6"-7" of snow on Thursday and frankly,
>>I decided to work at home and I am off Friday, so I hunkered. I kept
>>the place warm, checked the laundry room to make sure those most
>>likely to freeze pipes were kept warm, and we were a-ok. Thanks for
>>asking.
>>
>>My husband, however, had to work outside on Friday. The high was 11, I
>>think, with a brisk wind.He has special clothing for situations like
>>that, but we have some new balaclavas on order.....

>those one-piece thingys that cover most of face, neck and tuck down
>into jacket are the bees knees. Don't forget his hands. Costco
>usually has those hand warmer things on the shelves about now. Take
>care.
>Janet US

I reminded him to take hand warmers and guess what he forgot....I
think we have parts of 3 boxes of them leftover from when the kids
were in marching band.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 10:20:51 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 09:41:29 -0500, Boron >
>>wrote:

>>>Break in the weather starting today - it'll be in the 50s by week's
>>>end.

>>I'm glad you checked in. I saw that your area was going to be above
>>normal within a few days. That's great as long as it doesn't cause
>>flooding. Is everything o.k. at your place? No wind damage?
>>
>>Janet US

> We got lucky - only got about 6"-7" of snow on Thursday and frankly,
>I decided to work at home and I am off Friday, so I hunkered. I kept
>the place warm, checked the laundry room to make sure those most
>likely to freeze pipes were kept warm, and we were a-ok. Thanks for
>asking.
>
>My husband, however, had to work outside on Friday. The high was 11, I
>think, with a brisk wind.He has special clothing for situations like
>that, but we have some new balaclavas on order.....

those one-piece thingys that cover most of face, neck and tuck down
into jacket are the bees knees. Don't forget his hands. Costco
usually has those hand warmer things on the shelves about now. Take
care.
Janet US

==

A snood?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 21:18:04 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:35:53 -0500, Boron >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 10:20:51 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>>wrote:

>>>I'm glad you checked in. I saw that your area was going to be above
>>>normal within a few days. That's great as long as it doesn't cause
>>>flooding. Is everything o.k. at your place? No wind damage?
>>>
>>>Janet US

>> We got lucky - only got about 6"-7" of snow on Thursday and frankly,
>>I decided to work at home and I am off Friday, so I hunkered. I kept
>>the place warm, checked the laundry room to make sure those most
>>likely to freeze pipes were kept warm, and we were a-ok. Thanks for
>>asking.
>>
>>My husband, however, had to work outside on Friday. The high was 11, I
>>think, with a brisk wind.He has special clothing for situations like
>>that, but we have some new balaclavas on order.....

>those one-piece thingys that cover most of face, neck and tuck down
>into jacket are the bees knees. Don't forget his hands. Costco
>usually has those hand warmer things on the shelves about now. Take
>care.
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>A snood?

no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
the season it seems most all is gone.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 14:36:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 21:18:04 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
. ..

>>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:35:53 -0500, Boron >
>>wrote:

>>> We got lucky - only got about 6"-7" of snow on Thursday and frankly,
>>>I decided to work at home and I am off Friday, so I hunkered. I kept
>>>the place warm, checked the laundry room to make sure those most
>>>likely to freeze pipes were kept warm, and we were a-ok. Thanks for
>>>asking.
>>>
>>>My husband, however, had to work outside on Friday. The high was 11, I
>>>think, with a brisk wind.He has special clothing for situations like
>>>that, but we have some new balaclavas on order.....

>>those one-piece thingys that cover most of face, neck and tuck down
>>into jacket are the bees knees. Don't forget his hands. Costco
>>usually has those hand warmer things on the shelves about now. Take
>>care.
>>Janet US
>>
>>==
>>
>>A snood?
>>

>no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
>garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
>eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
>be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
>need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
>They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
>the season it seems most all is gone.
>Janet US

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3FIGA5UITSA2F

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-08 4:36 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> A snood?
>>

> no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
> garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
> eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
> be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
> need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
> They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
> the season it seems most all is gone.

A Balaclava?

https://www.marks.com/en/workwear/ac...facemasks.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 16:45:06 -0500, wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 14:36:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 21:18:04 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

>>>those one-piece thingys that cover most of face, neck and tuck down
>>>into jacket are the bees knees. Don't forget his hands. Costco
>>>usually has those hand warmer things on the shelves about now. Take
>>>care.
>>>Janet US
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>A snood?
>>>

>>no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
>>garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
>>eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
>>be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
>>need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
>>They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
>>the season it seems most all is gone.
>>Janet US

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3FIGA5UITSA2F

yes, I prefer this example
balaclava
http://tinyurl.com/y8dkf3ln
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-08 4:56 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 16:45:06 -0500, wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 14:36:18 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>> wrote:

>>> no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
>>> garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
>>> eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
>>> be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
>>> need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
>>> They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
>>> the season it seems most all is gone.
>>> Janet US

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3FIGA5UITSA2F

> yes, I prefer this example
> balaclava
> http://tinyurl.com/y8dkf3ln

That one looks good. I once had a wool balaclava and hated it, as I
hated all wool toques before I finally learned that my head is just too
big for most hats. After two weeks of extremely cold weather I am
thinking that I should have bought something like this earlier. I may
still go out and get something like that. It took me many years to
realize that a scarf is actually a good idea for cold weather, and that
it can be used to pull up over one's face to keep warm.

I have other issues with balaclavas. I don't think that cops should be
using them. I know they like the fear factor, but I consider it to be
highly unprofessional to cover their faces. The public have the right
to know who who they are dealing with.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

news
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:35:53 -0500, Boron >
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 10:20:51 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>>wrote:

>>>I'm glad you checked in. I saw that your area was going to be above
>>>normal within a few days. That's great as long as it doesn't cause
>>>flooding. Is everything o.k. at your place? No wind damage?
>>>
>>>Janet US

>> We got lucky - only got about 6"-7" of snow on Thursday and frankly,
>>I decided to work at home and I am off Friday, so I hunkered. I kept
>>the place warm, checked the laundry room to make sure those most
>>likely to freeze pipes were kept warm, and we were a-ok. Thanks for
>>asking.
>>
>>My husband, however, had to work outside on Friday. The high was 11, I
>>think, with a brisk wind.He has special clothing for situations like
>>that, but we have some new balaclavas on order.....

>those one-piece thingys that cover most of face, neck and tuck down
>into jacket are the bees knees. Don't forget his hands. Costco
>usually has those hand warmer things on the shelves about now. Take
>care.
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>A snood?

no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
the season it seems most all is gone.
Janet US

==

Ok That is what I call a 'snood' That describes ours perfectly

Do you call it a 'cowl'?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

>>>those one-piece thingys that cover most of face, neck and tuck down
>>>into jacket are the bees knees. Don't forget his hands. Costco
>>>usually has those hand warmer things on the shelves about now. Take
>>>care.
>>>Janet US
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>A snood?
>>>

>>no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
>>garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
>>eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
>>be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
>>need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
>>They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
>>the season it seems most all is gone.
>>Janet US

>https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3FIGA5UITSA2F

yes, I prefer this example
balaclava
http://tinyurl.com/y8dkf3ln
==

Yes) Our snoods are very similar but ours are knitted and fold down to a
nice scarf as well as pulling up over them mouth and nose and/or over the
head.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 4:59:00 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> news >
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 21:18:04 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> >"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> >On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:35:53 -0500, Boron >
> >wrote:

> >> We got lucky - only got about 6"-7" of snow on Thursday and frankly,
> >>I decided to work at home and I am off Friday, so I hunkered. I kept
> >>the place warm, checked the laundry room to make sure those most
> >>likely to freeze pipes were kept warm, and we were a-ok. Thanks for
> >>asking.
> >>
> >>My husband, however, had to work outside on Friday. The high was 11, I
> >>think, with a brisk wind.He has special clothing for situations like
> >>that, but we have some new balaclavas on order.....

> >those one-piece thingys that cover most of face, neck and tuck down
> >into jacket are the bees knees. Don't forget his hands. Costco
> >usually has those hand warmer things on the shelves about now. Take
> >care.
> >Janet US
> >
> >==
> >
> >A snood?
> >

> no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
> garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
> eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
> be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
> need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
> They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
> the season it seems most all is gone.
> Janet US
>
> ==
>
> Ok That is what I call a 'snood' That describes ours perfectly
>
> Do you call it a 'cowl'?

This is what I call a snood:

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snood_(headgear)>

I call those other things a balaclava.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 09:58:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>>>no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
>>>garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
>>>eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
>>>be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
>>>need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
>>>They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
>>>the season it seems most all is gone.
>>>Janet US

>>https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3FIGA5UITSA2F

>yes, I prefer this example
>balaclava
>http://tinyurl.com/y8dkf3ln
>==
>
>Yes) Our snoods are very similar but ours are knitted and fold down to a
>nice scarf as well as pulling up over them mouth and nose and/or over the
>head.

O.k., different terms, same thing. A smart item to have where it gets
cold and the wind blows.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
>>>garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
>>>eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
>>>be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
>>>need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
>>>They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
>>>the season it seems most all is gone.
>>>Janet US

>>https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3FIGA5UITSA2F

>yes, I prefer this example
>balaclava
>http://tinyurl.com/y8dkf3ln
>==
>
>Yes) Our snoods are very similar but ours are knitted and fold down to a
>nice scarf as well as pulling up over them mouth and nose and/or over the
>head.

O.k., different terms, same thing. A smart item to have where it gets
cold and the wind blows.
Janet US

===

Oh yes! Nothing better)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 10:37:55 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 09:58:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:

>>>https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3FIGA5UITSA2F

>>yes, I prefer this example
>>balaclava
>>http://tinyurl.com/y8dkf3ln
>>==
>>
>>Yes) Our snoods are very similar but ours are knitted and fold down to a
>>nice scarf as well as pulling up over them mouth and nose and/or over the
>>head.

>O.k., different terms, same thing.

>Janet US

Nope, not even close... snoods are hair nets.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 09:58:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:

>>>https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3FIGA5UITSA2F

>>yes, I prefer this example
>>balaclava
>>http://tinyurl.com/y8dkf3ln
>>==
>>
>>Yes) Our snoods are very similar but ours are knitted and fold down to
>>nice scarf as well as pulling up over them mouth and nose and/or over the
>>head.

>O.k., different terms, same thing.

>Janet US

Nope, not even close... snoods are hair nets.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snood

==

You do know I am not Scottish ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 13:53:54 -0500, wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 10:37:55 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 09:58:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3FIGA5UITSA2F

>>>yes, I prefer this example
>>>balaclava
>>>http://tinyurl.com/y8dkf3ln
>>>==
>>>
>>>Yes) Our snoods are very similar but ours are knitted and fold down to a
>>>nice scarf as well as pulling up over them mouth and nose and/or over the
>>>head.

>>O.k., different terms, same thing.

>>Janet US

>Nope, not even close... snoods are hair nets.
>https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snood

My dictionary also says that snoods are worn by Scottish virgins. I
guess the snood is extinct.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 11:55 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> wrote in message ...
>
> On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 10:37:55 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 09:58:48 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> yes, I prefer this example
>>> balaclava
>>> http://tinyurl.com/y8dkf3ln
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Yes)Â* Our snoods are very similar but ours are knitted and fold
>>> down to a
>>> nice scarf as well as pulling up over them mouth and nose and/or over
>>> the
>>> head.

>> O.k., different terms, same thing.

>> Janet US

> Nope, not even close... snoods are hair nets.
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snood
>
> ==
>
> You do know I am not Scottish ...

Wouldn't that be a s_Ned?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/2018 6:27 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 4:59:00 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>> news >>
>> On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 21:18:04 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

>>> those one-piece thingys that cover most of face, neck and tuck down
>>> into jacket are the bees knees. Don't forget his hands. Costco
>>> usually has those hand warmer things on the shelves about now. Take
>>> care.
>>> Janet US
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> A snood?
>>>

>> no, not at least as I think of a snood. These are knitted/woven
>> garments that you pull down over your head that have an opening for
>> eyes,nose,mouth. Kind of like a sock for your head. Some of them can
>> be manipulated in various ways so that you can cover just what you
>> need, but all of the ones I think of must be pulled over the head.
>> They are not stylish hats. I'd give you a link but by this time of
>> the season it seems most all is gone.
>> Janet US
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Ok That is what I call a 'snood' That describes ours perfectly
>>
>> Do you call it a 'cowl'?

> This is what I call a snood:
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snood_(headgear)>
>
> I call those other things a balaclava.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL Yep, a snood is a hair net/decoration.

Jill

2018 [email protected] General Cooking 15 02-01-2018 08:31 PM
Dinner tomorrow Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 10 27-10-2013 01:25 PM
Dinner tomorrow. Andy General Cooking 2 21-07-2006 12:35 AM
Dinner...for tomorrow :) sarah bennett General Cooking 3 14-06-2005 02:34 AM