Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ground turkey

Okay, this is going to sound weird but... I am helping someone out by doing
their cooking for them. I won't get into the whole story but they acquired
food from the food bank so no real choice as to what they got. They gave me
the meat to cook for them. It came frozen. None of it is stuff that I will
eat and I am not used to cooking this stuff.

The first three things I pulled out were BBQ flavored turkey lunch meat,
pork chops and ground turkey. I figure the lunch meat can go into Panini's
but I will have to research the flavors to see what might go with. Seems
like an odd flavor for turkey. The pork chops will use the orange/plum sauce
that was given to me as a gift.

But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at all.
However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be eating. Of
course the obvious answer would be to ask the person what he would like but
he is too busy working now and only has time to stop by for dinner. So...
What would be good to make with this? I am also feeding his dog so am trying
to make things without onions or other things that dogs shouldn't eat. I
have made some things that do contain onions but kept back a small portion
of the other ingredients so that I could make something safe for the dog.

I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground turkey? I
have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa verde. If not
chili, then some other foods that I have are carrots, celery, peppers,
potatoes and all sorts of canned vegetables. Also pasta and rice.

Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a turkey
wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and perhaps stew
meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my freezer is stuffed full. We
had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make more room
in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and see what else
is there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 7:43:48 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
> Okay, this is going to sound weird but... I am helping someone out by doing
> their cooking for them. I won't get into the whole story but they acquired
> food from the food bank so no real choice as to what they got. They gave me
> the meat to cook for them. It came frozen. None of it is stuff that I will
> eat and I am not used to cooking this stuff.
>
> The first three things I pulled out were BBQ flavored turkey lunch meat,
> pork chops and ground turkey. I figure the lunch meat can go into Panini's
> but I will have to research the flavors to see what might go with. Seems
> like an odd flavor for turkey. The pork chops will use the orange/plum sauce
> that was given to me as a gift.
>
> But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at all.
> However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be eating. Of
> course the obvious answer would be to ask the person what he would like but
> he is too busy working now and only has time to stop by for dinner. So...
> What would be good to make with this? I am also feeding his dog so am trying
> to make things without onions or other things that dogs shouldn't eat. I
> have made some things that do contain onions but kept back a small portion
> of the other ingredients so that I could make something safe for the dog.
>
> I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground turkey? I
> have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa verde. If not
> chili, then some other foods that I have are carrots, celery, peppers,
> potatoes and all sorts of canned vegetables. Also pasta and rice.
>
> Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a turkey
> wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and perhaps stew
> meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my freezer is stuffed full. We
> had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make more room
> in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and see what else
> is there.

Just make meatloaf. All ground meat should be turned into meatloaf. Ground turkey is weird stuff but meatloaf would be ground turkey in its most tolerable form.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 7:43:48 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Okay, this is going to sound weird but... I am helping someone out by
>> doing
>> their cooking for them. I won't get into the whole story but they
>> acquired
>> food from the food bank so no real choice as to what they got. They gave
>> me
>> the meat to cook for them. It came frozen. None of it is stuff that I
>> will
>> eat and I am not used to cooking this stuff.
>>
>> The first three things I pulled out were BBQ flavored turkey lunch meat,
>> pork chops and ground turkey. I figure the lunch meat can go into
>> Panini's
>> but I will have to research the flavors to see what might go with. Seems
>> like an odd flavor for turkey. The pork chops will use the orange/plum
>> sauce
>> that was given to me as a gift.
>>
>> But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at
>> all.
>> However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be eating.
>> Of
>> course the obvious answer would be to ask the person what he would like
>> but
>> he is too busy working now and only has time to stop by for dinner. So...
>> What would be good to make with this? I am also feeding his dog so am
>> trying
>> to make things without onions or other things that dogs shouldn't eat. I
>> have made some things that do contain onions but kept back a small
>> portion
>> of the other ingredients so that I could make something safe for the dog.
>>
>> I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground turkey? I
>> have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa verde. If not
>> chili, then some other foods that I have are carrots, celery, peppers,
>> potatoes and all sorts of canned vegetables. Also pasta and rice.
>>
>> Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a turkey
>> wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and perhaps stew
>> meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my freezer is stuffed full.
>> We
>> had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make more
>> room
>> in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and see what
>> else
>> is there.

> Just make meatloaf. All ground meat should be turned into meatloaf. Ground
> turkey is weird stuff but meatloaf would be ground turkey in its most
> tolerable form.

I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already have plenty of
good meatloaf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 11:34:53 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 18-Sep-2017, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>> > Just make meatloaf. All ground meat should be turned into
>> > meatloaf. Ground
>> > turkey is weird stuff but meatloaf would be ground turkey in
>> > its most
>> > tolerable form.

>> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already
>> have plenty of
>> good meatloaf.

>Tacos. I hate ground turkey; the only way I have ever had it
>that I could stand was in tacos. The seasonings make up for the
>odd, to me, taste of ground turkey. Just pinch off enough before
>turning into tacos to feed the dog. There are plenty of recipes
>on the web, from Rachael Ray to Martha Stewart to, well, every
>celeb chef and food company has a turkey taco recipe.

I like ground chicken, croquets... but the stench of ground turkey
cooking almost rivals the putrid stink of lamb cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news
> Okay, this is going to sound weird but... I am helping someone out by
> doing their cooking for them. I won't get into the whole story but they
> acquired food from the food bank so no real choice as to what they got.
> They gave me the meat to cook for them. It came frozen. None of it is
> stuff that I will eat and I am not used to cooking this stuff.
>
> The first three things I pulled out were BBQ flavored turkey lunch meat,
> pork chops and ground turkey. I figure the lunch meat can go into Panini's
> but I will have to research the flavors to see what might go with. Seems
> like an odd flavor for turkey. The pork chops will use the orange/plum
> sauce that was given to me as a gift.
>
> But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at
> all. However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be
> eating. Of course the obvious answer would be to ask the person what he
> would like but he is too busy working now and only has time to stop by for
> dinner. So... What would be good to make with this? I am also feeding his
> dog so am trying to make things without onions or other things that dogs
> shouldn't eat. I have made some things that do contain onions but kept
> back a small portion of the other ingredients so that I could make
> something safe for the dog.
>
> I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground turkey? I
> have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa verde. If not
> chili, then some other foods that I have are carrots, celery, peppers,
> potatoes and all sorts of canned vegetables. Also pasta and rice.
>
> Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a turkey
> wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and perhaps stew
> meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my freezer is stuffed full. We
> had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make more
> room in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and see what
> else is there.

Use it like you would hamburger, chili, casseroles, turkey burgers etc.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> I like ground chicken, croquets... but the stench of ground turkey
> cooking almost rivals the putrid stink of lamb cooking.

Not true at all.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2017 3:38 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 7:43:48 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

>> But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at all.
>> However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be eating.
>>

> Just make meatloaf. All ground meat should be turned into meatloaf. Ground turkey is weird stuff but meatloaf would be ground turkey in its most tolerable form.

I'd mix it with ground beef to make the meatloaf. Or ground pork and
season with the spices for sausage patties. Only way to use it straight
is to make dog food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote:
> > Just make meatloaf. All ground meat should be turned into meatloaf. Ground
> > turkey is weird stuff but meatloaf would be ground turkey in its most
> > tolerable form.

> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already have plenty of
> good meatloaf.

Maybe use the ground meat up to add to red sauce for spaghetti
meals. That and the meat used can be frozen to just heat up for
several meals in the future.

Remember Julie, this guy is getting free food from the food bank
and for some reason, he's got you cooking for him. He has no
right to be picky about what he eats.

You said he's finally working now so has no time to cook?
Bullshit. He sounds like a lazy leach on society. I live alone -
I work - I have time to cook each day. I've been very poor in the
past and only ate potatoes with no butter...just something to get
by on. Never asked for food stamps or food bank.

IOW, sounds like he's taking advantage of your charitable nature.
Not only that...the dreck can't even take care of himself but he
has a dog too? And you are cooking for the dog too? Sucker!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > I like ground chicken, croquets... but the stench of ground turkey
> > cooking almost rivals the putrid stink of lamb cooking.

> Not true at all.
>
> Cheri

seriously not true at all. Lamb is almost better than beef to me.
If he smelled some "stench of ground turkey," he just forgot to
clean his meat grinder that day. Everyone has their own tastes
but sounds to me like Sheldon just hasn't figured out how to cook
either turkey or lamb properly. What a putz.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> > I like ground chicken, croquets... but the stench of ground turkey
>> > cooking almost rivals the putrid stink of lamb cooking.

>> Not true at all.
>>
>> Cheri

> seriously not true at all. Lamb is almost better than beef to me.
> If he smelled some "stench of ground turkey," he just forgot to
> clean his meat grinder that day. Everyone has their own tastes
> but sounds to me like Sheldon just hasn't figured out how to cook
> either turkey or lamb properly. What a putz.

Yes, I like it in a loaf with other seasoning and things added, I cover it
with foil while baking so it doesn't dry out and it always smells good while
cooking. He probably doesn't use seasoning or something, or he doesn't make
it at all.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2017 8:38 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Count me out of this game.
>
> =-sw

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 22:43:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Okay, this is going to sound weird but... I am helping someone out by doing
>their cooking for them. I won't get into the whole story but they acquired
>food from the food bank so no real choice as to what they got. They gave me
>the meat to cook for them. It came frozen. None of it is stuff that I will
>eat and I am not used to cooking this stuff.
>
>The first three things I pulled out were BBQ flavored turkey lunch meat,
>pork chops and ground turkey. I figure the lunch meat can go into Panini's
>but I will have to research the flavors to see what might go with. Seems
>like an odd flavor for turkey. The pork chops will use the orange/plum sauce
>that was given to me as a gift.
>
>But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at all.
>However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be eating. Of
>course the obvious answer would be to ask the person what he would like but
>he is too busy working now and only has time to stop by for dinner. So...
>What would be good to make with this? I am also feeding his dog so am trying
>to make things without onions or other things that dogs shouldn't eat. I
>have made some things that do contain onions but kept back a small portion
>of the other ingredients so that I could make something safe for the dog.
>
>I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground turkey? I
>have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa verde. If not
>chili, then some other foods that I have are carrots, celery, peppers,
>potatoes and all sorts of canned vegetables. Also pasta and rice.
>
>Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a turkey
>wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and perhaps stew
>meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my freezer is stuffed full. We
>had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make more room
>in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and see what else
>is there.

turkey lunchmeat is just fine for sandwiches. Turkey lunchmeat comes
in all kinds of flavors and is just fine. Ground turkey is just fine
in chili. I just don't understand all the squeamishness around ground
turkey. Particularly in this case where you will not be eating it.
Make your regular chili and just use the turkey. I make my spaghetti
sauce with ground turkey all the time. It is much lower fat content,
better for you than beef and mixed with spices and garlic and onions,
who cares? I still get compliments on my spaghetti sauce and I never
tell anyone what the meat is. You're just being silly.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 06:57:48 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>>> Not true at all.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> seriously not true at all. Lamb is almost better than beef to me.
>> If he smelled some "stench of ground turkey," he just forgot to
>> clean his meat grinder that day. Everyone has their own tastes
>> but sounds to me like Sheldon just hasn't figured out how to cook
>> either turkey or lamb properly. What a putz.

>Yes, I like it in a loaf with other seasoning and things added, I cover it
>with foil while baking so it doesn't dry out and it always smells good while
>cooking. He probably doesn't use seasoning or something, or he doesn't make
>it at all.
>
>Cheri

Sheldon doesn't like much of anything. Really. Just watch his posts.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 09:38:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 02:47:04 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Just make meatloaf. All ground meat should be turned into meatloaf. Ground
>>> turkey is weird stuff but meatloaf would be ground turkey in its most
>>> tolerable form.

>> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already have plenty of
>> good meatloaf.

>So even though you're not cooking this for yourself, you're still
>going to poo-poo all the ideas you get for whatever reason or another.
>
>Count me out of this game.
>
>=-sw

I'm sorry. I got drawn in. Your comment is probably right on point.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> There's no way I would eat ground turkey no matter how it was used!

I guess then that you never have Thanksgiving turkey dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 11:47:15 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already have plenty of
> good meatloaf.

I'd just stick it in the freezer. That way, you can forget about it and throw it away at a later date.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 3:10:08 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I'd mix it with ground beef to make the meatloaf. Or ground pork and
> season with the spices for sausage patties. Only way to use it straight
> is to make dog food.

Sounds like you're familiar with this substance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2017 10:09 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Grinding it in
> your mouth is totally different.
>
> -sw

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 9:22:21 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 22:43:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >Okay, this is going to sound weird but... I am helping someone out by doing
> >their cooking for them. I won't get into the whole story but they acquired
> >food from the food bank so no real choice as to what they got. They gave me
> >the meat to cook for them. It came frozen. None of it is stuff that I will
> >eat and I am not used to cooking this stuff.
> >
> >The first three things I pulled out were BBQ flavored turkey lunch meat,
> >pork chops and ground turkey. I figure the lunch meat can go into Panini's
> >but I will have to research the flavors to see what might go with. Seems
> >like an odd flavor for turkey. The pork chops will use the orange/plum sauce
> >that was given to me as a gift.
> >
> >But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at all.
> >However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be eating. Of
> >course the obvious answer would be to ask the person what he would like but
> >he is too busy working now and only has time to stop by for dinner. So...
> >What would be good to make with this? I am also feeding his dog so am trying
> >to make things without onions or other things that dogs shouldn't eat. I
> >have made some things that do contain onions but kept back a small portion
> >of the other ingredients so that I could make something safe for the dog.
> >
> >I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground turkey? I
> >have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa verde. If not
> >chili, then some other foods that I have are carrots, celery, peppers,
> >potatoes and all sorts of canned vegetables. Also pasta and rice.
> >
> >Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a turkey
> >wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and perhaps stew
> >meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my freezer is stuffed full. We
> >had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make more room
> >in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and see what else
> >is there.

> turkey lunchmeat is just fine for sandwiches. Turkey lunchmeat comes
> in all kinds of flavors and is just fine. Ground turkey is just fine
> in chili. I just don't understand all the squeamishness around ground
> turkey. Particularly in this case where you will not be eating it.
> Make your regular chili and just use the turkey. I make my spaghetti
> sauce with ground turkey all the time. It is much lower fat content,
> better for you than beef and mixed with spices and garlic and onions,
> who cares? I still get compliments on my spaghetti sauce and I never
> tell anyone what the meat is. You're just being silly.
> Janet US

Very good posting, and yes Julie is just being "herself"...anything to get
another opinion or two that she can discard.
Sorry, Julie but a good cook would know what to do with ground turkey.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I make tacos every 4th Tue and it's always made with gr beef; no turkey, chicken or fish tacos for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwerts wrote:

> On 9/18/2017 10:09 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > Grinding it in
> > your mouth is totally different.
> >
> > -sw

> Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
> Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

> ost
> >
> 3/18/2011 3:49 PM
> Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
> readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
> fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com
>

> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
>
> -sw
>
> I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
> There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!

LOL...!!!

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2017 11:44 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> Tacos. I hate ground turkey; the only way I have ever had it
>> that I could stand was in tacos. The seasonings make up for the
>> odd, to me, taste of ground turkey. Just pinch off enough before
>> turning into tacos to feed the dog. There are plenty of recipes
>> on the web, from Rachael Ray to Martha Stewart to, well, every
>> celeb chef and food company has a turkey taco recipe.
>>

> There's no way I would eat ground turkey no matter how it was used!

I gut up a turkey and used the dark meat mixed with pork for sausage.
At about 25% you could not tell the difference. I'd never use it
straight though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 05:17:46a, Cheri told us...
>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> I like ground chicken, croquets... but the stench of ground turkey
>>> cooking almost rivals the putrid stink of lamb cooking.

>> Not true at all.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> It's a pesonal preference. I can't stand the smell or taste of turkey.
> I like all other domestic fowl.

Yes, qualifying as a preference is much different than Sheldon's blanket
statements, quirky turkey that he is.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.45...
> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 05:17:46a, Cheri told us...
>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> I like ground chicken, croquets... but the stench of ground turkey
>>> cooking almost rivals the putrid stink of lamb cooking.

>> Not true at all.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> When I was growing up we always had capon for holidays. Still do.

I was raised on a free range turkey/chicken ranch, so you know what we had.
LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 15:44:17 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 18 Sep 2017 04:34:53a, l not -l told us...

>>> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already
>>> have plenty of
>>> good meatloaf.

>> Tacos. I hate ground turkey; the only way I have ever had it
>> that I could stand was in tacos. The seasonings make up for the
>> odd, to me, taste of ground turkey. Just pinch off enough before
>> turning into tacos to feed the dog. There are plenty of recipes
>> on the web, from Rachael Ray to Martha Stewart to, well, every
>> celeb chef and food company has a turkey taco recipe.
>>

>There's no way I would eat ground turkey no matter how it was used!

The woman in the condo opposite me makes a ground turkey loaf which
has totally put me off the idea. She pulled it out of the oven to
check it one day when I was there, she was expecting her sister, and I
thought to myself no wonder her sister usually invites her to her
place!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 15:58:53 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 18 Sep 2017 05:17:46a, Cheri told us...
>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> I like ground chicken, croquets... but the stench of ground turkey
>>> cooking almost rivals the putrid stink of lamb cooking.

>> Not true at all.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

>It's a pesonal preference. I can't stand the smell or taste of turkey.
>I like all other domestic fowl.

I will eat roast turkey at Xmas, but much prefer chicken or duck or
pheasant or pretty much anything
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 18-Sep-2017, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>> > Just make meatloaf. All ground meat should be turned into
>> > meatloaf. Ground
>> > turkey is weird stuff but meatloaf would be ground turkey in
>> > its most
>> > tolerable form.

>> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already
>> have plenty of
>> good meatloaf.

> Tacos. I hate ground turkey; the only way I have ever had it
> that I could stand was in tacos. The seasonings make up for the
> odd, to me, taste of ground turkey. Just pinch off enough before
> turning into tacos to feed the dog. There are plenty of recipes
> on the web, from Rachael Ray to Martha Stewart to, well, every
> celeb chef and food company has a turkey taco recipe.

Thanks! I have made Mexican food quite a lot too. I found an easy chili
recipe with no onions. Calls for green peppers. I don't have those but I do
have red and yellow. I think I will make that as a starter with plenty of
cheese and also a tuna casserole. As it turns out, I have someone else to
feed and she likes tuna casserole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 11:34:53 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>>> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already
>>> have plenty of
>>> good meatloaf.

>>Tacos. I hate ground turkey; the only way I have ever had it
>>that I could stand was in tacos. The seasonings make up for the
>>odd, to me, taste of ground turkey. Just pinch off enough before
>>turning into tacos to feed the dog. There are plenty of recipes
>>on the web, from Rachael Ray to Martha Stewart to, well, every
>>celeb chef and food company has a turkey taco recipe.

> I like ground chicken, croquets... but the stench of ground turkey
> cooking almost rivals the putrid stink of lamb cooking.

Agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:19:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> [...]

>>>the rest of it in a few days and see what else is there.

>> turkey lunchmeat is just fine for sandwiches. Turkey lunchmeat
>> comes in all kinds of flavors and is just fine. Ground turkey is
>> just fine in chili. I just don't understand all the squeamishness
>> around ground turkey. Particularly in this case where you will
>> not be eating it. Make your regular chili and just use the turkey.
>> I make my spaghetti sauce with ground turkey all the time. It is
>> much lower fat content, better for you than beef and mixed with
>> spices and garlic and onions, who cares? I still get compliments
>> on my spaghetti sauce and I never tell anyone what the meat is.
>> You're just being silly. Janet US
>>

>What's silly is arguing the point. There are those who like it and
>those who don't. I _can_ tell the difference if ground turkey is
>used in anything. Maybe it's a situation where some people say that

whether you like it or not has nothing to do with the posted issue.
Julie wants to know what to do with some free ground turkey that is
someone else's provisions. I don't think from what she says that
Julie has any idea what turkey products are out there. She needs to
be encouraged to use the meat in a useful way.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news

>>> Not true at all.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> seriously not true at all. Lamb is almost better than beef to me.
>> If he smelled some "stench of ground turkey," he just forgot to
>> clean his meat grinder that day. Everyone has their own tastes
>> but sounds to me like Sheldon just hasn't figured out how to cook
>> either turkey or lamb properly. What a putz.

> Yes, I like it in a loaf with other seasoning and things added, I cover it
> with foil while baking so it doesn't dry out and it always smells good
> while cooking. He probably doesn't use seasoning or something, or he
> doesn't make it at all.

I tried making meatballs with it once. We could have used them on the tennis
court.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 04:34:53a, l not -l told us...

>>> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already
>>> have plenty of
>>> good meatloaf.

>> Tacos. I hate ground turkey; the only way I have ever had it
>> that I could stand was in tacos. The seasonings make up for the
>> odd, to me, taste of ground turkey. Just pinch off enough before
>> turning into tacos to feed the dog. There are plenty of recipes
>> on the web, from Rachael Ray to Martha Stewart to, well, every
>> celeb chef and food company has a turkey taco recipe.
>>

> There's no way I would eat ground turkey no matter how it was used!

Me either. And since I will be eating with them, the addition of the tuna
casserole will be perfect for me. I'll just say that eating both that and
chili will be too many carbs. Because it will. I'll just have a little
casserole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> There's no way I would eat ground turkey no matter how it was used!

> I guess then that you never have Thanksgiving turkey dinner.

Most people don't serve ground turkey then. We usually had the traditional
turkey as my brother loves it. But if he wasn't around, we might just go out
for Mexican food. However, I usually didn't eat it. I usually had some
cheese and whatever veggies were on the table. To me, turkey breast is okay,
once in a while. Not a favorite. And I don't like any other kind of turkey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 11:51:21 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> There's no way I would eat ground turkey no matter how it was used!

>> I guess then that you never have Thanksgiving turkey dinner.

> All the ground turkey I've had has been really shitty. Grinding it in
> your mouth is totally different.

Agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "dsi1" > wrote:
>> > Just make meatloaf. All ground meat should be turned into meatloaf.
>> > Ground
>> > turkey is weird stuff but meatloaf would be ground turkey in its most
>> > tolerable form.

>> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already have plenty
>> of
>> good meatloaf.

> Maybe use the ground meat up to add to red sauce for spaghetti
> meals. That and the meat used can be frozen to just heat up for
> several meals in the future.
>
> Remember Julie, this guy is getting free food from the food bank
> and for some reason, he's got you cooking for him. He has no
> right to be picky about what he eats.
>
> You said he's finally working now so has no time to cook?
> Bullshit. He sounds like a lazy leach on society. I live alone -
> I work - I have time to cook each day. I've been very poor in the
> past and only ate potatoes with no butter...just something to get
> by on. Never asked for food stamps or food bank.

That's not what I said. He has no way to cook. I didn't want to get into the
details but I will say that there was a fire and he is in the process of
regaining what he used to have.

> IOW, sounds like he's taking advantage of your charitable nature.
> Not only that...the dreck can't even take care of himself but he
> has a dog too? And you are cooking for the dog too? Sucker!

Nope. I offered to do this. Again, I do not want to get into the details. I
don't think that would be fair to him. I also really like the dog. Reminds
me of my old dog. Super cute and cuddly little thing. Don't mind one bit.
They are both good company.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 02:47:04 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Just make meatloaf. All ground meat should be turned into meatloaf.
>>> Ground
>>> turkey is weird stuff but meatloaf would be ground turkey in its most
>>> tolerable form.

>> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already have plenty
>> of
>> good meatloaf.

> So even though you're not cooking this for yourself, you're still
> going to poo-poo all the ideas you get for whatever reason or another.
>
> Count me out of this game.

No. I am sure there will be more meat at a later date. I just don't want to
make meatloaf now because as I said, I already have good meatoaf that I
made, in the freezer. I am also trying to be frugal and use things that I
already have. I would have to buy additional things to make meatloaf and...
If I did make it, it would be a very small one as there isn't much meat in
the package.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 11:47:15 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I'd rather not as there is only a small amount and I already have plenty
>> of
>> good meatloaf.

> I'd just stick it in the freezer. That way, you can forget about it and
> throw it away at a later date.

I just pulled it out of the freezer. He unexpectedly gave me two different
batches of meat and my freezer was already pretty full. So my meals have
been pretty creative lately. I won't get into all of the details of my life
right now. Perhaps when all is said and done, I will share. But for now I am
trying to be frugal and use up that which I have and have been given. I will
say that life is very interesting now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>> Okay, this is going to sound weird but... I am helping someone out by
>> doing their cooking for them. I won't get into the whole story but they
>> acquired food from the food bank so no real choice as to what they got.
>> They gave me the meat to cook for them. It came frozen. None of it is
>> stuff that I will eat and I am not used to cooking this stuff.
>>
>> The first three things I pulled out were BBQ flavored turkey lunch meat,
>> pork chops and ground turkey. I figure the lunch meat can go into
>> Panini's but I will have to research the flavors to see what might go
>> with. Seems like an odd flavor for turkey. The pork chops will use the
>> orange/plum sauce that was given to me as a gift.
>>
>> But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at
>> all. However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be
>> eating. Of course the obvious answer would be to ask the person what he
>> would like but he is too busy working now and only has time to stop by
>> for dinner. So... What would be good to make with this? I am also feeding
>> his dog so am trying to make things without onions or other things that
>> dogs shouldn't eat. I have made some things that do contain onions but
>> kept back a small portion of the other ingredients so that I could make
>> something safe for the dog.
>>
>> I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground turkey? I
>> have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa verde. If not
>> chili, then some other foods that I have are carrots, celery, peppers,
>> potatoes and all sorts of canned vegetables. Also pasta and rice.
>>
>> Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a turkey
>> wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and perhaps stew
>> meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my freezer is stuffed full.
>> We had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make
>> more room in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and
>> see what else is there.

> Use it like you would hamburger, chili, casseroles, turkey burgers etc.

Thanks! I will do a chili. I have all of the ingredients for one recipe
except for the green peppers. I do have red and green dried or some fresh,
mini yellow/red/orange. I think I will use those. Will serve a small amount
of chili as a starter, perhaps with corn bread and then tuna casserole
after. We have someone staying here and I know she will eat tuna casserole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/18/2017 3:38 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 7:43:48 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at
>>> all.
>>> However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be eating.

>> Just make meatloaf. All ground meat should be turned into meatloaf.
>> Ground turkey is weird stuff but meatloaf would be ground turkey in its
>> most tolerable form.
>>

> I'd mix it with ground beef to make the meatloaf. Or ground pork and
> season with the spices for sausage patties. Only way to use it straight
> is to make dog food.

I may do that next time. Only other uncooked ground meat I currently have is
a mystery package or bison. Both are frozen. I did see a recipe for dog food
with brown rice. Calls for a package of frozen veggies and I don't have
those either. I did try feeding the dog brown rice with chicken and carrots
and that was a no go. He does like Rice A Roni though. Eek!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 3:10:08 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I'd mix it with ground beef to make the meatloaf. Or ground pork and
>> season with the spices for sausage patties. Only way to use it straight
>> is to make dog food.

> Sounds like you're familiar with this substance.

I'd rather not be. Hehehe. Good thing I don't have to depend on the local
food bank. I'd be a vegetarian for sure!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> [...]
>>had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make more
>>room
>>in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and see what else
>>is there.

> turkey lunchmeat is just fine for sandwiches. Turkey lunchmeat comes
> in all kinds of flavors and is just fine. Ground turkey is just fine
> in chili. I just don't understand all the squeamishness around ground
> turkey. Particularly in this case where you will not be eating it.
> Make your regular chili and just use the turkey. I make my spaghetti
> sauce with ground turkey all the time. It is much lower fat content,
> better for you than beef and mixed with spices and garlic and onions,
> who cares? I still get compliments on my spaghetti sauce and I never
> tell anyone what the meat is. You're just being silly.

I don't really have a regular chili. I use a variety of recipes and often
there is no meat in it. I personally can't stand the taste or the texture of
ground turkey which is why I won't eat it. But I did find a recipe that will
be safe, even for the dog. The lunch meat is BBQ flavored and that to me
just sounds strange.

If you think ground turkey is healthy, you are sadly mistaken. They grind
the skin up in it. No thanks! And as for spaghetti, I don't much care for it
but if I do eat it, there is no meat in my sauce. I don't like meat in my
sauce. I actually don't like much meat period.

ground turkey Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 74 06-07-2012 07:36 PM
ground turkey KEN Baking 3 26-03-2007 10:11 PM
ground turkey WENDY HUNT Baking 0 25-03-2007 12:41 AM
Lean Ground Turkey Jaime General Cooking 12 26-07-2005 02:18 AM
ground turkey recipe? tenplay General Cooking 2 02-04-2004 10:15 PM