Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default ground turkey

Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. Today I
found they were offering ground turkey. Can I treat it like ordinary ground
beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like seafood is
enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 00:54:48 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. Today I
> found they were offering ground turkey. Can I treat it like ordinary ground
> beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like seafood is
> enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? Polly

Ground turkey is like ground veal. It's bland and takes to being
seasoned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 00:54:48 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
> > Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. Today I
> > found they were offering ground turkey. Can I treat it like ordinary ground
> > beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like seafood is
> > enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? Polly

Interesting. What seafood do you add nutmeg to?

> Ground turkey is like ground veal. It's bland and takes to being
> seasoned.

I tried it a couple of times years ago and it was bland, as you said. I
didn't care for it and haven't bought any since. What would you suggest
seasoning it with?

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-30, Polly Esther > wrote:
> Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. Today I
> found they were offering ground turkey. Can I treat it like ordinary ground
> beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like seafood is
> enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? Polly

When I was weight training, ground turkey was a good option, it having
so much more protein than other common meats. A fellow body builder
used to eat a grnd turkey and brown rice sandwich ever day for lunch.
I lasted about a week with that mealy-mouthed (literally) sandwich. I
didn't stay much longer with grnd turkey either. Horrible bland stuff
and nothing I tried helped. To this day, the only food I can even
stand grnd turkey in is spicey chili. Perhaps a good spicey burrito
or enchilada. I've had extra firm tofu in a beef flavored burrito and
liked it, so turkey should work.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 00:54:48 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. Today I
>found they were offering ground turkey. Can I treat it like ordinary ground
>beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like seafood is
>enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? Polly

I haven't been very inventive. I've only used ground turkey for
spaghetti sauce and chili. The ground turkey made to noticeable
difference in these dishes.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" <>
> Interesting. What seafood do you add nutmeg to?

Crab. Just a wee little bit. Took me lots of delicious experimenting to
find how to take crab from pretty good to Wow. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:
> Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. Today I
> found they were offering ground turkey. Can I treat it like ordinary
> ground beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like
> seafood is enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? Polly

I buy frozen ground turkey (icky "mechanically separated" stuff) and use
it highly seasoned for tacos and taco salad, and I mix it with hot
breakfast sausage and a little fennel to make a passable nongreasy
Italian sausage for lasagna or pizza.

By itself, it has almost no flavor and when cooked the texture is kind
of like ground beef, but wrong. It would probably sub nicely for the
ground veal in meatloaf mix.

I too have been wondering how to season it so it tastes like a
turkeyburger instead of using it as a poor substitute for hamburger.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 29, 10:54*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. *Today I
> found they were offering ground turkey. *Can I treat it like ordinary ground
> beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like seafood is
> enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? *Polly

Polly, I made ground turkey meatloaf at the restaurant and people
loved it. I made it like my regular meatloaf recipe except instead
of any salt I used dry beef base. If you can't find dry beef base
you can use something like Knorr Swiss. The beef base adds a depth
of flavor that the turkey just doesn't have. It's a nice way to have
a very low fat meatloaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Polly Esther wrote:
>> Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. Today I
>> found they were offering ground turkey. Can I treat it like ordinary
>> ground beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like
>> seafood is enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? Polly

(snip)
> I too have been wondering how to season it so it tastes like a
> turkeyburger instead of using it as a poor substitute for hamburger.
>
> -Bob

Poultry seasoning?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking crabs (was ground turkey)

Polly Esther wrote:

> "Gary" <>
> > Interesting. What seafood do you add nutmeg to?
> >

> Crab. Just a wee little bit. Took me lots of delicious experimenting to
> find how to take crab from pretty good to Wow. Polly

Really! Crab, huh?
I *will* try a wee bit the next time I eat fresh crab...just on one bite.

Let me tell you how I make crab...compare it to how you make it.

First of all, buy live crabs or frozen crab meat.
Canned crab is a joke...like comparing canned tuna to fresh tuna.

I kill and clean my crabs before cooking. This lets more of the flavor that
you add seep into the crab meat. It's also a quicker and more humane way to
kill them.

In a small pot, add equal parts of water and white vinegar...add in some
salt and a generous amount of Old Bay Seasoning and bring to a boil. Toss in
your crab bodies and steam for a few minutes. That's it. You can use a
steamer basket or (better) just put an inch of the liquid in the pot. The
very bottom crabs will be boiled but those on top will be steamed. All will
be good.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ground turkey benefits from generous seasoning. I use it for tacos,
chili, and sloppy joes.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. Today I
> found they were offering ground turkey. Can I treat it like ordinary ground
> beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like seafood is
> enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? Polly

Make a burger out of it seasoned with Bell's Poultry seasoning, serve
with cranberry mayo. Make it into mock stroganoff. Season it with Jerk
seasoning and make it into Jamaican style patties.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/30/2012 10:13 AM, Tara wrote:
> Ground turkey benefits from generous seasoning. I use it for tacos,
> chili, and sloppy joes.
>
> Tara

Exactly, I think of it almost as tofu. You use it for the protein and
not the flavor it brings so it needs substantial seasoning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-30, Tara > wrote:
> Ground turkey benefits from generous seasoning. I use it for tacos,
> chili, and sloppy joes.

I can see that.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Polly Esther wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" <>
>> > Interesting. What seafood do you add nutmeg to?
>> >

>> Crab. Just a wee little bit. Took me lots of delicious experimenting to
>> find how to take crab from pretty good to Wow. Polly

> Really! Crab, huh?
> I *will* try a wee bit the next time I eat fresh crab...just on one bite.
>
> Let me tell you how I make crab...compare it to how you make it.
>
> First of all, buy live crabs or frozen crab meat.
> Canned crab is a joke...like comparing canned tuna to fresh tuna.
>
> I kill and clean my crabs before cooking. This lets more of the flavor
> that
> you add seep into the crab meat. It's also a quicker and more humane way
> kill them.
>
> In a small pot, add equal parts of water and white vinegar...add in some
> salt and a generous amount of Old Bay Seasoning and bring to a boil. Toss
> in
> your crab bodies and steam for a few minutes. That's it. You can use a
> steamer basket or (better) just put an inch of the liquid in the pot. The
> very bottom crabs will be boiled but those on top will be steamed. All
> will
> be good.
>
> G.

Neighbor grew up cooking; his wife didn't. He left her one day to 'start'
cooking live crabs while he ran to the grocery. His instructions weren't
good enough. She put a big pot of cold water on the stove, turned on the
heat and dumped in the live crabs.
When husband came home, terrified wife was sitting on the kitchen
counter. Crabs were walking all over the house. They figured out how to
climb out before the water got too hot for comfort. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> Neighbor grew up cooking; his wife didn't. He left her one day to 'start'
> cooking live crabs while he ran to the grocery. His instructions weren't
> good enough. She put a big pot of cold water on the stove, turned on the
> heat and dumped in the live crabs.
> When husband came home, terrified wife was sitting on the kitchen
> counter. Crabs were walking all over the house. They figured out how to
> climb out before the water got too hot for comfort. Polly

Steaming live crabs is evil...and even more so if you start with cold water.

I steamed them live once and only once. In a large pot it takes up to 10
minutes to kill them all and in those 10 minutes they are scrambling to get
out of the increasing heat. You have to stand there and hold down the lid
to keep them in. They don't scream in agony but they would have if they had
vocal cords.

I kill mine beforehand and they die in less than 2 seconds.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I buy frozen ground turkey (icky "mechanically separated" stuff) and use
> it highly seasoned for tacos and taco salad, and I mix it with hot
> breakfast sausage and a little fennel to make a passable nongreasy
> Italian sausage for lasagna or pizza.

I just bought a pkg of combo pork & chicken italian sausage. Haven't
tried it yet but next time I make pizza, it's up.

I don't care about the ick factor either in sausage. Anybody who does
should consider the trade-off: Using every bit of animals we slaughter
is more spiritual and economic than tossing out the unsavory bits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Steaming live crabs is evil...and even more so if you start with cold water.

Shellfish are nothing more than big insects. They have no souls, no
consciousness, and nothing spiritual to care about. You're spinning
your wheels for nothing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in
:

> Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. Today
> I found they were offering ground turkey. Can I treat it like
> ordinary ground beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much
> like seafood is enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? Polly

I've used it (dark & white meat) like ground beef for years. I've not
bought any cut of beef in decades. I use it for sausage, burgers,
meatloaf, meatballs, etc. But I'm not a good cook or very fussy so YMMV.

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Ground turkey Parmesan (WAS: ground turkey)

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. Today I
> found they were offering ground turkey. Can I treat it like ordinary
> ground beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like seafood
> is enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? Polly

Ground turkey is not necessarily more "healthy" so I hope that's not why
you're looking at it. They grind the skin along with the meat and the skin
is where the fat is. Having said that, there are ways to make it more
tasty. You've been given some options, chili, tacos, etc. Allow me to add
one, pared way down from the original "recipe". Turkey Parmesan (adapted
from a 1980's recipe from Cooking Light magazine, back when I cared about
cooking "light").

Ground Turkey Parmesiana

1 lb. ground turkey
1/4 c. chicken stock or broth
8 oz. can tomato sauce
dried oregano
minced parsley
poultry seasoning
pepper
minced garlic
breadcrumbs
shredded mozzarella

Combine broth, tomato sauce and oregano. Set aside. Combine ground turkey,
parsley, poultry seasoning and garlic. Divide the mixture into four
patties. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on waxed paper and press the patties into the
crumbs to coat well. Place patties in a shallow baking dish. Bake at 450F
for 10 minutes. Drain the excess liquid/fat. Turn the patties and cook
another couple of minutes. Spoon the sauce mixture evenly over the patties.
Bake another 8 minutes more until sauce is bubbly. Top with mozzarella
cheese let it set until the cheese melts.

This is one of the only ways I can/will eat ground turkey. Of course all
the seasonings mask the blandness of ground turkey.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 07:14:56 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> I tried it a couple of times years ago and it was bland, as you said. I
> didn't care for it and haven't bought any since. What would you suggest
> seasoning it with?

Not a ground turkey fan either; although I've eaten turkey chili that
wasn't bad. If I was going to cook with ground turkey and needed a
recipe, I'd use one that called for veal - so I'd be using savory
herbs and spices, not sweet ones like nutmeg, cloves etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 06:56:56 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Jun 29, 10:54*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> > Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. *Today I
> > found they were offering ground turkey. *Can I treat it like ordinary ground
> > beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like seafood is
> > enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? *Polly

> Polly, I made ground turkey meatloaf at the restaurant and people
> loved it. I made it like my regular meatloaf recipe except instead
> of any salt I used dry beef base. If you can't find dry beef base
> you can use something like Knorr Swiss. The beef base adds a depth
> of flavor that the turkey just doesn't have. It's a nice way to have
> a very low fat meatloaf.

Is beef base granules or something like Better Than Bouillon?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 30, 11:04*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 06:56:56 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> > On Jun 29, 10:54*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> > > Our only grocery is about 25 years behind what's new and great. *Today I
> > > found they were offering ground turkey. *Can I treat it like ordinary ground
> > > beef or does it benefit from a special ingredient much like seafood is
> > > enhanced by a bit of nutmeg? *Polly

> > Polly, I made ground turkey meatloaf at the restaurant and people
> > loved it. * I made it like my regular meatloaf recipe except instead
> > of any salt I used dry beef base. * If you can't find dry beef base
> > you can use something like Knorr Swiss. * The beef base adds a depth
> > of flavor that the turkey just doesn't have. * It's a nice way to have
> > a very low fat meatloaf.

> Is beef base granules or something like Better Than Bouillon?
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

No, in the restaurant we used a commercial beef base that was a dry
powder as well as the meat bases that were 'wet'. Knorr is fairly
close in the dry department.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:27:50 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Gary wrote:
>
>> Steaming live crabs is evil...and even more so if you start with cold water.

>Shellfish are nothing more than big insects. They have no souls, no
>consciousness, and nothing spiritual to care about. You're spinning
>your wheels for nothing.

If you ever watched Sponge Bob Square Pant you'd change your mind
about that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 9:27*am, George M. Middius > wrote:
> Gary wrote:
> > Steaming live crabs is evil...and even more so if you start with cold water.

> Shellfish are nothing more than big insects. They have no souls, no
> consciousness, and nothing spiritual to care about. You're spinning
> your wheels for nothing.

Please elaborate on how you know this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly wrote:

>Our only grocery is about 25 years
> behind what's new and great. Today I
> found they were offering ground turkey.
> Can I treat it like ordinary ground beef
> or does it benefit from a special
> ingredient much like seafood is
> enhanced by a bit of nutmeg?

With our youngest daughter on a diet (has lost over 50 lbs. to date) I
use a lot of turkey in place of beef. She prefers Sloppy Joes made with
ground turkey over beef and believe me they are very tangy, and not one
bit bland!

I use 1 small onion, diced, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1/2 cup chopped
celery, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, 1 can Healthy Request condensed
tomato soup, 1/2 cup catsup, 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. prepared
mustard and 1/4 tsp. pepper to about 20 oz. pkg. ground turkey breast.
Brown the turkey with onion, garlic, celery and green pepper and add
remaining ingredients and cook for 4 hours on low in Crock Pot, or
simmer or simmer for 30 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns.
1 serving is 247 calories. Makes 8 servings.

Oh, and as much as I like nutmeg, I would NEVER use it on beautiful
delicious cooked crab.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:11:04 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Jun 30, 11:04*am, sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 06:56:56 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> >
> > > wrote:

> > > Polly, I made ground turkey meatloaf at the restaurant and people
> > > loved it. * I made it like my regular meatloaf recipe except instead
> > > of any salt I used dry beef base. * If you can't find dry beef base
> > > you can use something like Knorr Swiss. * The beef base adds a depth
> > > of flavor that the turkey just doesn't have. * It's a nice way to have
> > > a very low fat meatloaf.

> > Is beef base granules or something like Better Than Bouillon?
> >
> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> No, in the restaurant we used a commercial beef base that was a dry
> powder as well as the meat bases that were 'wet'. Knorr is fairly
> close in the dry department.

Thanks for the FYI.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/30/2012 11:26 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
> I don't care about the ick factor either in sausage. Anybody who does
> should consider the trade-off: Using every bit of animals we slaughter
> is more spiritual and economic than tossing out the unsavory bits.

That's why the "pink slime" uproar a couple of months ago really ****ed
me off. People would rather throw all that meat in the landfill than
eat it because someone gave it a provocative nickname. And if we throw
that meat away, we have to raise more beef to fill the vaccuum -- so
more animals get killed and prices are higher to produce the same amount
of beef.

If you know how to cook it, you don't have to eat the choices cuts all
the time.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 30, 12:34*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Polly wrote:
> >Our only grocery is about 25 years
> > behind what's new and great. Today I
> > found they were offering ground turkey.
> > Can I treat it like ordinary ground beef
> > or does it benefit from a special
> > ingredient much like seafood is
> > enhanced by a bit of nutmeg?

> With our youngest daughter on a diet (has lost over 50 lbs. to date) I
> use a lot of turkey in place of beef. She prefers Sloppy Joes made with
> ground turkey over beef and believe me they are very tangy, and not one
> bit bland!
>
> I use 1 small onion, diced, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1/2 cup chopped
> celery, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, 1 can Healthy Request condensed
> tomato soup, 1/2 cup catsup, 1 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. prepared
> mustard and 1/4 tsp. pepper to about 20 oz. pkg. ground turkey breast.
> Brown the turkey with onion, garlic, celery and green pepper and add
> remaining ingredients and cook for 4 hours on low in Crock Pot, or
> simmer or simmer for 30 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns.
> 1 serving is 247 calories. Makes 8 servings.
>
> Oh, and as much as I like nutmeg, I would NEVER use it on beautiful
> delicious cooked crab.
>
> Judy

I'm gonna try those joes...sounds good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/30/2012 2:34 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
> With our youngest daughter on a diet (has lost over 50 lbs. to date) I
> use a lot of turkey in place of beef. She prefers Sloppy Joes made with
> ground turkey over beef and believe me they are very tangy, and not one
> bit bland!

That's because they taste like ketchup -- AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG
WITH THAT. You should see how much ketchup one of my coworkers and I
eat when we go out for burgers and fries on Thursdays. (the ketchup is
mostly for the fries, but the 2 of us can put away almost a whole bottle
in one meal) :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob wrote:

>That's because they taste like ketchup --
> AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG
> WITH THAT. You should see how much
> ketchup one of my coworkers and I eat
> when we go out for burgers and fries on
> Thursdays. (the ketchup is mostly for
> the fries, but the 2 of us can put away
> almost a whole bottle in one meal) :-)

And......YOU sir, would be correct. My hubby makes fun of me because
I've always been ketchup crazy. For home I buy nothing but Heinz, and
not sure what they use in most restaurants, but it's all good to me!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-30, Judy Haffner > wrote:

> I've always been ketchup crazy. For home I buy nothing but Heinz, and
> not sure what they use in most restaurants, but it's all good to me!

Hard to go wrong with Heinz. I could almost eat grnd turkey with
enough Heinz ketchup.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>I love sloppy Joes but rarely make them
> (I don't think I've eaten one in at least
> 10 years). I'm not a soup person in
> general, canned soup in particular - so
> I'll find a different recipe to try.

If you love them, why don't you make them then???

You couldn't get me to eat any soup that comes from a can, but I like
use Campbell's Healthy Request soups for cooking.....they always give
food a good flavor, IMO

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> Steaming live crabs is evil...and even more so if you start with cold water.

> >Shellfish are nothing more than big insects. They have no souls, no
> >consciousness, and nothing spiritual to care about. You're spinning
> >your wheels for nothing.

> If you ever watched Sponge Bob Square Pant you'd change your mind
> about that.

Too far for me to go in the name of silliness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> > Shellfish are nothing more than big insects. They have no souls, no
> > consciousness, and nothing spiritual to care about. You're spinning
> > your wheels for nothing.

> Please elaborate on how you know this.

Well, cos I hoid it from someone who says he knowed all about that
there stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:03:43 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>On 6/30/2012 11:26 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
>> I don't care about the ick factor either in sausage. Anybody who does
>> should consider the trade-off: Using every bit of animals we slaughter
>> is more spiritual and economic than tossing out the unsavory bits.
>>

>That's why the "pink slime" uproar a couple of months ago really ****ed
>me off. People would rather throw all that meat in the landfill than
>eat it because someone gave it a provocative nickname. And if we throw
>that meat away, we have to raise more beef to fill the vaccuum -- so
>more animals get killed and prices are higher to produce the same amount
>of beef.

I don't think that's true, supply and demand will take over, if less
folks buy the supply will shrink.

>If you know how to cook it, you don't have to eat the choices cuts all
>the time.

All one need do is grind their own... buy whichever cut you like that
fits your budget... the least expensive cut of beef you grind yourself
will be leagues ahead of any preground mystery meat. And by far the
very worst preground meat is poultry... typically preground turkey
contains more fat than preground beef. And if someone is reducing
their fat intake it's dumber than a rock thinking they need to give up
beef and switch to turkey when one can grind their own beef as lean as
they like.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:42:47 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:03:43 -0500, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>>On 6/30/2012 11:26 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
>>> I don't care about the ick factor either in sausage. Anybody who does
>>> should consider the trade-off: Using every bit of animals we slaughter
>>> is more spiritual and economic than tossing out the unsavory bits.
>>>

>>That's why the "pink slime" uproar a couple of months ago really ****ed
>>me off. People would rather throw all that meat in the landfill than
>>eat it because someone gave it a provocative nickname. And if we throw
>>that meat away, we have to raise more beef to fill the vaccuum -- so
>>more animals get killed and prices are higher to produce the same amount
>>of beef.

>I don't think that's true, supply and demand will take over, if less
>folks buy the supply will shrink.
>
>>If you know how to cook it, you don't have to eat the choices cuts all
>>the time.

>All one need do is grind their own... buy whichever cut you like that
>fits your budget... the least expensive cut of beef you grind yourself
>will be leagues ahead of any preground mystery meat. And by far the
>very worst preground meat is poultry... typically preground turkey
>contains more fat than preground beef. And if someone is reducing
>their fat intake it's dumber than a rock thinking they need to give up
>beef and switch to turkey when one can grind their own beef as lean as
>they like.

Ground turkey is labeled according to fat content just like ground
beef. You pick the one you want.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:30:11 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:42:47 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:03:43 -0500, zxcvbob >
>>wrote:

>>>That's why the "pink slime" uproar a couple of months ago really ****ed
>>>me off. People would rather throw all that meat in the landfill than
>>>eat it because someone gave it a provocative nickname. And if we throw
>>>that meat away, we have to raise more beef to fill the vaccuum -- so
>>>more animals get killed and prices are higher to produce the same amount
>>>of beef.

>>I don't think that's true, supply and demand will take over, if less
>>folks buy the supply will shrink.
>>
>>>If you know how to cook it, you don't have to eat the choices cuts all
>>>the time.

>>All one need do is grind their own... buy whichever cut you like that
>>fits your budget... the least expensive cut of beef you grind yourself
>>will be leagues ahead of any preground mystery meat. And by far the
>>very worst preground meat is poultry... typically preground turkey
>>contains more fat than preground beef. And if someone is reducing
>>their fat intake it's dumber than a rock thinking they need to give up
>>beef and switch to turkey when one can grind their own beef as lean as
>>they like.

>Ground turkey is labeled according to fat content just like ground
>beef. You pick the one you want.
>Janet US

Don't believe everything you read.

It's all mystery meat... you don't know what/who is in it. Ground
poultry is disgusting, it's not properly cleaned before grinding,
commercially ground poultry is mechanically separated, it contains
skin, guts, whatever... your local butcher is not grinding poultry,
even they find it too disgusting... it's ground by an outside vendor
at a facility that would make normal human beings gack... pet food
facilities are far cleaner.

Ground turkey recipes? notbob General Cooking 19 29-04-2014 04:37 PM
ground turkey recall Janet Bostwick General Cooking 21 07-08-2011 05:37 PM
ground turkey KEN Baking 3 26-03-2007 10:11 PM
ground turkey WENDY HUNT Baking 0 25-03-2007 12:41 AM
Lean Ground Turkey Jaime General Cooking 12 26-07-2005 02:18 AM