Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ground turkey

"Roy" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> >eat and I am not used to cooking this stuff.
>> >
>> >The first three things I pulled out were BBQ flavored turkey lunch meat,
>> >pork chops and ground turkey. I figure the lunch meat can go into
>> >Panini's
>> >but I will have to research the flavors to see what might go with. Seems
>> >like an odd flavor for turkey. The pork chops will use the orange/plum
>> >sauce
>> >that was given to me as a gift.
>> >
>> >But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at
>> >all.
>> >However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be eating.
>> >Of
>> >course the obvious answer would be to ask the person what he would like
>> >but
>> >he is too busy working now and only has time to stop by for dinner.
>> >So...
>> >What would be good to make with this? I am also feeding his dog so am
>> >trying
>> >to make things without onions or other things that dogs shouldn't eat. I
>> >have made some things that do contain onions but kept back a small
>> >portion
>> >of the other ingredients so that I could make something safe for the
>> >dog.
>> >
>> >I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground turkey?
>> >have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa verde. If not
>> >chili, then some other foods that I have are carrots, celery, peppers,
>> >potatoes and all sorts of canned vegetables. Also pasta and rice.
>> >
>> >Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a
>> >turkey
>> >wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and perhaps stew
>> >meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my freezer is stuffed full.
>> >We
>> >had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make more
>> >room
>> >in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and see what
>> >else
>> >is there.

>> turkey lunchmeat is just fine for sandwiches. Turkey lunchmeat comes
>> in all kinds of flavors and is just fine. Ground turkey is just fine
>> in chili. I just don't understand all the squeamishness around ground
>> turkey. Particularly in this case where you will not be eating it.
>> Make your regular chili and just use the turkey. I make my spaghetti
>> sauce with ground turkey all the time. It is much lower fat content,
>> better for you than beef and mixed with spices and garlic and onions,
>> who cares? I still get compliments on my spaghetti sauce and I never
>> tell anyone what the meat is. You're just being silly.
>> Janet US

> Very good posting, and yes Julie is just being "herself"...anything to get
> another opinion or two that she can discard.
> Sorry, Julie but a good cook would know what to do with ground turkey.

Yes they would. They would throw it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.44...
> [...]
>>>the rest of it in a few days and see what else is there.

>> turkey lunchmeat is just fine for sandwiches. Turkey lunchmeat
>> comes in all kinds of flavors and is just fine. Ground turkey is
>> just fine in chili. I just don't understand all the squeamishness
>> around ground turkey. Particularly in this case where you will
>> not be eating it. Make your regular chili and just use the turkey.
>> I make my spaghetti sauce with ground turkey all the time. It is
>> much lower fat content, better for you than beef and mixed with
>> spices and garlic and onions, who cares? I still get compliments
>> on my spaghetti sauce and I never tell anyone what the meat is.
>> You're just being silly. Janet US
>>

> What's silly is arguing the point. There are those who like it and
> those who don't. I _can_ tell the difference if ground turkey is
> used in anything. Maybe it's a situation where some people say that

To me, ground turkey is probably one of the worst things I've ever tasted.
Worst by far was ham flavored TVP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I make tacos every 4th Tue and it's always made with gr beef; no turkey,
>chicken or fish tacos for me.

My tacos are either beef or bean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Despite me eating beef tacos only I bet my cholesterol is better than anyone here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Last time my Iranian LDL was 50, trigs 46 and HDL 69, the 69 was low, 1 time my trigs were 34 and Iranian LDL 34.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 11:10:00a, Cheri told us...
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> .45...
>>> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 05:17:46a, Cheri told us...

>>> When I was growing up we always had capon for holidays. Still do.

>> I was raised on a free range turkey/chicken ranch, so you know
>> what we had. LOL
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> Well, it could be anything with feathers. :-) Often people who raise
> chickens and turkeys have other fowl/birds as well. My grandparents
> also had a couple of peacocks, a few geese and a flock of Guinea
> hens, as well as Cornish hens.

Yes we had Guinea hens and some Chinese pheasants too. No peacocks though.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news

>>> seriously not true at all. Lamb is almost better than beef to me.
>>> If he smelled some "stench of ground turkey," he just forgot to
>>> clean his meat grinder that day. Everyone has their own tastes
>>> but sounds to me like Sheldon just hasn't figured out how to cook
>>> either turkey or lamb properly. What a putz.

>> Yes, I like it in a loaf with other seasoning and things added, I cover
>> it with foil while baking so it doesn't dry out and it always smells good
>> while cooking. He probably doesn't use seasoning or something, or he
>> doesn't make it at all.

> I tried making meatballs with it once. We could have used them on the
> tennis court.

Then you are not cooking it properly, but no problem since you don't care
for it anyway, some do and some don't.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 9.45...
>> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 11:10:00a, Cheri told us...
>>
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> .45...

>>> I was raised on a free range turkey/chicken ranch, so you know
>>> what we had. LOL
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> Well, it could be anything with feathers. :-) Often people who raise
>> chickens and turkeys have other fowl/birds as well. My grandparents
>> also had a couple of peacocks, a few geese and a flock of Guinea
>> hens, as well as Cornish hens.

> Yes we had Guinea hens and some Chinese pheasants too. No peacocks though.

My friend has peacocks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:19:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon 18 Sep 2017 08:22:11a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>>
>>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 22:43:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> turkey lunchmeat is just fine for sandwiches. Turkey lunchmeat
>>> comes in all kinds of flavors and is just fine. Ground turkey is
>>> just fine in chili. I just don't understand all the squeamishness
>>> around ground turkey. Particularly in this case where you will
>>> not be eating it. Make your regular chili and just use the turkey.
>>> I make my spaghetti sauce with ground turkey all the time. It is
>>> much lower fat content, better for you than beef and mixed with
>>> spices and garlic and onions, who cares? I still get compliments
>>> on my spaghetti sauce and I never tell anyone what the meat is.
>>> You're just being silly. Janet US
>>>

>>What's silly is arguing the point. There are those who like it and
>>those who don't. I _can_ tell the difference if ground turkey is
>>used in anything. Maybe it's a situation where some people say that
>>cilantro tastes like soap.

> whether you like it or not has nothing to do with the posted issue.
> Julie wants to know what to do with some free ground turkey that is
> someone else's provisions. I don't think from what she says that
> Julie has any idea what turkey products are out there. She needs to
> be encouraged to use the meat in a useful way.
> Janet US

I did make chili using a recipe that I found online. Does not look or smell
appealing. I am serving it as a starter and have tuna casserole as well.
Also corn muffins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:47:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

snip
>> turkey lunchmeat is just fine for sandwiches. Turkey lunchmeat comes
>> in all kinds of flavors and is just fine. Ground turkey is just fine
>> in chili. I just don't understand all the squeamishness around ground
>> turkey. Particularly in this case where you will not be eating it.
>> Make your regular chili and just use the turkey. I make my spaghetti
>> sauce with ground turkey all the time. It is much lower fat content,
>> better for you than beef and mixed with spices and garlic and onions,
>> who cares? I still get compliments on my spaghetti sauce and I never
>> tell anyone what the meat is. You're just being silly.
>> Janet US

>I don't really have a regular chili. I use a variety of recipes and often
>there is no meat in it. I personally can't stand the taste or the texture of
>ground turkey which is why I won't eat it. But I did find a recipe that will
>be safe, even for the dog. The lunch meat is BBQ flavored and that to me
>just sounds strange.
>
>If you think ground turkey is healthy, you are sadly mistaken. They grind
>the skin up in it. No thanks! And as for spaghetti, I don't much care for it
>but if I do eat it, there is no meat in my sauce. I don't like meat in my
>sauce. I actually don't like much meat period.

She's ba-a-a-aack!
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.44...
> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 01:49:41p, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:19:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon 18 Sep 2017 08:22:11a, U.S. Janet B. told us...

>>>What's silly is arguing the point. There are those who like it
>>>and those who don't. I _can_ tell the difference if ground turkey
>>>is used in anything. Maybe it's a situation where some people say
>>>that cilantro tastes like soap.

>> whether you like it or not has nothing to do with the posted
>> issue. Julie wants to know what to do with some free ground turkey
>> that is someone else's provisions. I don't think from what she
>> says that Julie has any idea what turkey products are out there.
>> She needs to be encouraged to use the meat in a useful way.
>> Janet US
>>

> Alrighty then. Burgers are out, IIRC. So, perhaps meatloaf,
> casserole, hotdish? Personally I'd cook it up for my cats. They'd
> love it.

My cats wouldn't eat it. They only like fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.44...
> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 01:49:41p, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:19:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon 18 Sep 2017 08:22:11a, U.S. Janet B. told us...

>>>What's silly is arguing the point. There are those who like it
>>>and those who don't. I _can_ tell the difference if ground turkey
>>>is used in anything. Maybe it's a situation where some people say
>>>that cilantro tastes like soap.

>> whether you like it or not has nothing to do with the posted
>> issue. Julie wants to know what to do with some free ground turkey
>> that is someone else's provisions. I don't think from what she
>> says that Julie has any idea what turkey products are out there.
>> She needs to be encouraged to use the meat in a useful way.
>> Janet US

> From subsequent posts, it doesn't sound like Julie really wants to
> eat or use it.

I won't eat it. I am cooking for someone else. I made chili with it. You can
tell by looking at it that it's not beef. Does not look the same at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Despite me eating beef tacos only I bet my cholesterol is better than
> anyone here.

Beef doesn't raise cholesterol.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Success!

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news
I made the chili, loosely following this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/88858/b...=cardslot%2011

I has less turkey than called for. Used less tomato, but part of the tomato
was a small can of tomato and chili. Did use the pinch of cinnamon but
increased the other spices. I did drain the corn slightly and used all of
the liquid (which wasn't much) from the beans. I did put out shredded cheese
and onion as a garnish. He didn't take any of those but he did ask for a
second bowl. He did crumble a corn muffin into the chili. Dog liked the
muffins too. The other diner also liked the chili. There is about one
portion left. So I would call that a success.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2017 10:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> Despite me eating beef tacos only I bet my cholesterol is better than
>> anyone here.

> Beef doesn't raise cholesterol.

EH?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...terol-in-beef/

Bottom Line in Beef Cuts

Chuck roast contains more cholesterol than other cuts of beef. A 3-ounce
serving of braised chuck blade roast has 90 milligrams and a braised
chuck arm roast has 100 milligrams of cholesterol. A variety of beef
cuts contain 70 to 80 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce serving,
including rib roast, eye of round, top round, sirloin and tenderloin
cuts. Ground beef falls into the same range. Ninety-percent lean ground
beef has 72 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce serving, while 80
percent lean ground beef contains 77 milligrams.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:16:31 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
79.45...
>> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 11:10:00a, Cheri told us...
>>
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> .45...

I like whole roast turkey but grinding raw turkey
somehow alters its flavor to 'disgusting' and odiferously ick.

>>> I was raised on a free range turkey/chicken ranch, so you know
>>> what we had. LOL
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>

>> Well, it could be anything with feathers. :-) Often people who raise
>> chickens and turkeys have other fowl/birds as well. My grandparents
>> also had a couple of peacocks, a few geese and a flock of Guinea
>> hens, as well as Cornish hens.

>Yes we had Guinea hens and some Chinese pheasants too. No peacocks though.
>
>Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I mash butter into hard boiled eggs has a lot of cholesterol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 08:10:50 -0600, Casa de Masa > wrote:

>On 9/18/2017 10:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> Despite me eating beef tacos only I bet my cholesterol is better than
>>> anyone here.

>> Beef doesn't raise cholesterol.
>>

>EH?
>
>https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...terol-in-beef/
>
>Bottom Line in Beef Cuts
>
>Chuck roast contains more cholesterol than other cuts of beef. A 3-ounce
>serving of braised chuck blade roast has 90 milligrams and a braised
>chuck arm roast has 100 milligrams of cholesterol. A variety of beef
>cuts contain 70 to 80 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce serving,
>including rib roast, eye of round, top round, sirloin and tenderloin
>cuts. Ground beef falls into the same range. Ninety-percent lean ground
>beef has 72 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce serving, while 80
>percent lean ground beef contains 77 milligrams.

Accoring to the latest research, dietary cholesterol does not raise
serum (blood) cholesterol. That's why you can now eat eggs.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...terol-in-food/

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message

> Accoring to the latest research, dietary cholesterol does not raise
> serum (blood) cholesterol. That's why you can now eat eggs.
>
> https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...terol-in-food/
>
> Doris

Actually, that research has been around for a long time.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 12:04:37 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> When I mash butter into hard boiled eggs has a lot of cholesterol.

>Ok, just curious here. What are you making where you mash
>butter into some hard boiled eggs?

that's the way my mother always made deviled eggs. You can't beat it
for smooth mouth feel. I sometimes still do it as mayo doesn't really
agree with me any longer.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa de Masa" > wrote in message
news
> On 9/18/2017 10:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> Despite me eating beef tacos only I bet my cholesterol is better than
>>> anyone here.

>> Beef doesn't raise cholesterol.
>>

> EH?
>
> https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...terol-in-beef/
>
> Bottom Line in Beef Cuts
>
> Chuck roast contains more cholesterol than other cuts of beef. A 3-ounce
> serving of braised chuck blade roast has 90 milligrams and a braised chuck
> arm roast has 100 milligrams of cholesterol. A variety of beef cuts
> contain 70 to 80 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce serving, including
> rib roast, eye of round, top round, sirloin and tenderloin cuts. Ground
> beef falls into the same range. Ninety-percent lean ground beef has 72
> milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce serving, while 80 percent lean
> ground beef contains 77 milligrams.

There is cholesterol in it but that doesn't mean eating it raises ours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> When I mash butter into hard boiled eggs has a lot of cholesterol.

But that doesn't mean it is going into you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 4:11:20 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> There is cholesterol in it but that doesn't mean eating it raises ours.

It is not animal cholesterol.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 14:11:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Casa de Masa" > wrote in message
>news

>>> Beef doesn't raise cholesterol.
>>>

>> EH?
>>
>> https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...terol-in-beef/
>>
>> Bottom Line in Beef Cuts
>>
>> Chuck roast contains more cholesterol than other cuts of beef. A 3-ounce
>> serving of braised chuck blade roast has 90 milligrams and a braised chuck
>> arm roast has 100 milligrams of cholesterol. A variety of beef cuts
>> contain 70 to 80 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce serving, including
>> rib roast, eye of round, top round, sirloin and tenderloin cuts. Ground
>> beef falls into the same range. Ninety-percent lean ground beef has 72
>> milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce serving, while 80 percent lean
>> ground beef contains 77 milligrams.

>There is cholesterol in it but that doesn't mean eating it raises ours.

True. Eating saturated fat makes your cholesterol go up. That's why I
don't understand when people say butter or fatty meats are good for
you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2017 3:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Casa de Masa" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Beef doesn't raise cholesterol.
>>>

>> EH?
>>
>> https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...terol-in-beef/
>>

>> Bottom Line in Beef Cuts
>>
>> Chuck roast contains more cholesterol than other cuts of beef. A
>> 3-ounce serving of braised chuck blade roast has 90 milligrams and a
>> braised chuck arm roast has 100 milligrams of cholesterol. A variety
>> of beef cuts contain 70 to 80 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce
>> serving, including rib roast, eye of round, top round, sirloin and
>> tenderloin cuts. Ground beef falls into the same range. Ninety-percent
>> lean ground beef has 72 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce
>> serving, while 80 percent lean ground beef contains 77 milligrams.

> There is cholesterol in it but that doesn't mean eating it raises ours.

Compared to say fish or chicken - sure does.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/red-...erol-9354.html

Cholesterol Levels
Red meat, which includes beef, pork and lamb, provides more saturated
fat and cholesterol per serving than poultry, fish or vegetable
proteins. Eating too much red meat may increase your cholesterol levels,
putting you at risk for heart disease, heart attack and stroke. A total
cholesterol level of less than 200 milligrams per deciliter and a
low-density lipoprotein, or LDL, level of less than 130 milligrams per
deciliter puts you at the lowest risk, according to MayoClinic.com.
Cholesterol from Red Meat
You absorb cholesterol from the animal products that you eat. and
consuming excess dietary cholesterol may contribute to elevated
cholesterol levels in your body. The Cleveland Clinic recommends that
you keep your intake of cholesterol under 200 milligrams a day. A
3-ounce portion of T-bone steak has about 51 milligrams of cholesterol,
while a 3-ounce pork chop has 60 milligrams of cholesterol. But you'll
get no cholesterol from vegetable proteins, such as beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dairy fat contains trans palmitoleic acid which does much to prevent type 2 diabetes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2017 7:34 AM, l not -l wrote:

> Tacos. I hate ground turkey; the only way I have ever had it
> that I could stand was in tacos. The seasonings make up for the
> odd, to me, taste of ground turkey. Just pinch off enough before
> turning into tacos to feed the dog. There are plenty of recipes
> on the web, from Rachael Ray to Martha Stewart to, well, every
> celeb chef and food company has a turkey taco recipe.

Ground turkey definitely requires a lot of seasoning. Back in the
1980's it was being touted as "healthier" than other ground meats. So I
gave it a try a couple of times. It was sold in frozen 1 lb. chubs.

The only way I found it tolerable was as spicy burgers (tacos would fit
that bill, too). Or formed into patties, pan cook them to remove the
excess fat*, then smother them with a well seasoned tomato sauce and top
with shredded Parmesan. Pop it into the oven to finish cooking and heat
the sauce and melt the cheese. Sort of like "turkey burger parmagiana".

*Back then, at least, the skin was ground in along with the meat so what
was supposed to be "healthier" was actually very fatty. I've no idea if
that still holds true in 2017.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2017 11:51 AM, Gary wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> There's no way I would eat ground turkey no matter how it was used!

> I guess then that you never have Thanksgiving turkey dinner.

Hey, I don't, either, Gary. I'll eat turkey if I have to but I'd really
rather not. I gave ground turkey a try back in the 1980's (see my reply
to l not -l). Not bad tasting when prepared with enough seasonings but
I'm not an advocate for ground turkey.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:36:55 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/18/2017 7:34 AM, l not -l wrote:
>>
>> Tacos. I hate ground turkey; the only way I have ever had it
>> that I could stand was in tacos. The seasonings make up for the
>> odd, to me, taste of ground turkey. Just pinch off enough before
>> turning into tacos to feed the dog. There are plenty of recipes
>> on the web, from Rachael Ray to Martha Stewart to, well, every
>> celeb chef and food company has a turkey taco recipe.
>>

>Ground turkey definitely requires a lot of seasoning. Back in the
>1980's it was being touted as "healthier" than other ground meats. So I
>gave it a try a couple of times. It was sold in frozen 1 lb. chubs.
>
>The only way I found it tolerable was as spicy burgers (tacos would fit
>that bill, too). Or formed into patties, pan cook them to remove the
>excess fat*, then smother them with a well seasoned tomato sauce and top
>with shredded Parmesan. Pop it into the oven to finish cooking and heat
>the sauce and melt the cheese. Sort of like "turkey burger parmagiana".
>
>*Back then, at least, the skin was ground in along with the meat so what
>was supposed to be "healthier" was actually very fatty. I've no idea if
>that still holds true in 2017.
>
>Jill

*just like ground beef you can purchase the level of fat content. I
get the 90/10 grind (that's 10 percent fat) I am able to get it
fresh, unfrozen. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'd think wild turkeys would taste a lot different than tame ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 08:22:11a, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 22:43:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

(snippage)
>>> But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like
>>> it at all. However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I
>>> will be eating. Of course the obvious answer would be to ask the
>>> person what he would like but he is too busy working now and only
>>> has time to stop by for dinner. So... What would be good to make
>>> with this? I am also feeding his dog so am trying to make things
>>> without onions or other things that dogs shouldn't eat. I have
>>> made some things that do contain onions but kept back a small
>>> portion of the other ingredients so that I could make something
>>> safe for the dog.

I appreciate Julie helping someone out. But really, buy dog food for
the dog. There's absolutely no reason to be cooking for it. It's not
her dog.

>>> I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground
>>> turkey? I have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa
>>> verde.

Sounds like it should work. IMHO, ground turkey is very bland and needs
to be seasoned well.

(snippage)

>>> Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a
>>> turkey wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and
>>> perhaps stew meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my
>>> freezer is stuffed full. We had an interesting meal using up bits
>>> and pieces of things to make more room in there. I will go through
>>> the rest of it in a few days and see what else is there.

>> turkey lunchmeat is just fine for sandwiches. Turkey lunchmeat
>> comes in all kinds of flavors and is just fine. Ground turkey is
>> just fine in chili. I just don't understand all the squeamishness
>> around ground turkey. Particularly in this case where you will
>> not be eating it. Make your regular chili and just use the turkey.
>> I make my spaghetti sauce with ground turkey all the time. It is
>> much lower fat content, better for you than beef and mixed with
>> spices and garlic and onions, who cares? I still get compliments
>> on my spaghetti sauce and I never tell anyone what the meat is.
>> You're just being silly. Janet US

No, she just wants to post about it. I don't use ground turkey but I
have in the past. Along your spaghetti sauce theme, I mentioned in
another reply I used it using it to make patties which I browned to
release the fat (in the 1980's it was very fatty, skin ground into it).
Then top with a nice tomato sauce and Parmensan cheese. Sort of a
ground turkey parmagiana. There are things that can be done with it,
sure.
> What's silly is arguing the point. There are those who like it and
> those who don't. I _can_ tell the difference if ground turkey is
> used in anything. Maybe it's a situation where some people say that
> cilantro tastes like soap.

The difference here is, Julie isn't going to be *eating* it, neither is
her family. She picked stuff up at the food bank for someone else.
She's going to cook it. But she doesn't know how...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-19 7:36 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I appreciate Julie helping someone out.Â* But really, buy dog food for
> the dog.Â* There's absolutely no reason to be cooking for it.Â* It's not
> her dog.

Oh come on. I am sure I will be attacked for being obsessed with our
resident drama queen, but the idea of Julie being asked to cook for
someone else is laughable. She doesn't like anything and her family
won't eat what she cooks.

> The difference here is, Julie isn't going to be *eating* it, neither is
> her family.Â* She picked stuff up at the food bank for someone else.
> She's going to cook it.Â* But she doesn't know how...

How do they run food banks there that she could even go to one and get
food for another person?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 01:49:41p, U.S. Janet B. told us...
>
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:19:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 08:22:11a, U.S. Janet B. told us...

(snippage)

(much more snippage above)

Wayne, she said that right off the bat:

"I am helping someone out by doing their cooking for them. I won't get
into the whole story but they acquired food from the food bank so no
real choice as to what they got. They gave me the meat to cook for
them. It came frozen. None of it is stuff that I will eat and I
am not used to cooking this stuff."

You've been away a while. She asked, but if it's typical of her style
she'll find some reason none of the suggestions offered will work,
despite the fact she's not the one who is going to eat it.

What I really want to know why she's cooking for this guys dog. I'm all
for taking care of pets. But cooking without onions so she can also
feed the dog? Sheesh. Buy a bag or some cans of dog food. Some food
banks even have donated pet food. It's likely better for the dog anyway.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 1:41:29 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> Oh come on. I am sure I will be attacked for being obsessed with our
> resident drama queen, but the idea of Julie being asked to cook for
> someone else is laughable. She doesn't like anything and her family
> won't eat what she cooks.

Well okay. I attack thee!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 3:21:40 PM UTC-10, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> None of anything Julie writes make sense to me. I shouldn't ever
> bother commenting.

Yoose guys always do and always will. They yoose always say you shouldn't bother. I love it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 18:50:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 3:21:40 PM UTC-10, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> None of anything Julie writes make sense to me. I shouldn't ever
>> bother commenting.

>Yoose guys always do and always will. They yoose always say you shouldn't bother. I love it!

True that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 8:21:40 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> None of anything Julie writes make sense to me. I shouldn't ever
> bother commenting.

You're learning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 5:18:03 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 14:11:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Casa de Masa" > wrote in message
> >news

> >> EH?
> >>
> >> https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...terol-in-beef/
> >>
> >> Bottom Line in Beef Cuts
> >>
> >> Chuck roast contains more cholesterol than other cuts of beef. A 3-ounce
> >> serving of braised chuck blade roast has 90 milligrams and a braised chuck
> >> arm roast has 100 milligrams of cholesterol. A variety of beef cuts
> >> contain 70 to 80 milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce serving, including
> >> rib roast, eye of round, top round, sirloin and tenderloin cuts. Ground
> >> beef falls into the same range. Ninety-percent lean ground beef has 72
> >> milligrams of cholesterol in a 3-ounce serving, while 80 percent lean
> >> ground beef contains 77 milligrams.

> >There is cholesterol in it but that doesn't mean eating it raises ours.

> True. Eating saturated fat makes your cholesterol go up. That's why I
> don't understand when people say butter or fatty meats are good for
> you.

What, precisely, do they say?

"Butter is better for you than margarine, and in moderate amounts does
no harm", perhaps?

"Lean meats are better, but fatty meats once in a while won't kill you" ?

Cindy Hamilton

ground turkey Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 74 06-07-2012 07:36 PM
ground turkey KEN Baking 3 26-03-2007 10:11 PM
ground turkey WENDY HUNT Baking 0 25-03-2007 01:41 AM
Lean Ground Turkey Jaime General Cooking 12 26-07-2005 02:18 AM
ground turkey recipe? tenplay General Cooking 2 02-04-2004 10:15 PM