Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ground turkey

On 2017-09-21, l not -l > wrote:

> whole turkey parts are fine with me; but, no ground turkey.

A engineer buddy usta eat ground turky and bean sammies. It was cuz
turkey has even more protein (per serving) that most other meats
(beef, chkn, pork) and he was an avid body builder. I could never get
behind 'em. Ick!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:43:48 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> Okay, this is going to sound weird but... I am helping someone out by doing
> their cooking for them. I won't get into the whole story but they acquired
> food from the food bank so no real choice as to what they got. They gave me
> the meat to cook for them. It came frozen. None of it is stuff that I will
> eat and I am not used to cooking this stuff.
>
> The first three things I pulled out were BBQ flavored turkey lunch meat,
> pork chops and ground turkey. I figure the lunch meat can go into Panini's
> but I will have to research the flavors to see what might go with. Seems
> like an odd flavor for turkey. The pork chops will use the orange/plum sauce
> that was given to me as a gift.
>
> But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at all.
> However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be eating. Of
> course the obvious answer would be to ask the person what he would like but
> he is too busy working now and only has time to stop by for dinner. So...
> What would be good to make with this? I am also feeding his dog so am trying
> to make things without onions or other things that dogs shouldn't eat. I
> have made some things that do contain onions but kept back a small portion
> of the other ingredients so that I could make something safe for the dog.
>
> I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground turkey? I
> have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa verde. If not
> chili, then some other foods that I have are carrots, celery, peppers,
> potatoes and all sorts of canned vegetables. Also pasta and rice.
>
> Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a turkey
> wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and perhaps stew
> meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my freezer is stuffed full. We
> had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make more room
> in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and see what else
> is there.

How ABOUT SAUCE FOR PASTA?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
> > On 9/18/2017 7:34 AM, l not -l wrote:
> >>
> >> Tacos. I hate ground turkey; the only way I have ever had it
> >> that I could stand was in tacos. The seasonings make up for the
> >> odd, to me, taste of ground turkey. Just pinch off enough before
> >> turning into tacos to feed the dog. There are plenty of recipes
> >> on the web, from Rachael Ray to Martha Stewart to, well, every
> >> celeb chef and food company has a turkey taco recipe.
> >>

> > Ground turkey definitely requires a lot of seasoning. Back in the 1980's
> > it was being touted as "healthier" than other ground meats. So I gave it
> > a try a couple of times. It was sold in frozen 1 lb. chubs.
> >
> > The only way I found it tolerable was as spicy burgers (tacos would fit
> > that bill, too). Or formed into patties, pan cook them to remove the
> > excess fat*, then smother them with a well seasoned tomato sauce and top
> > with shredded Parmesan. Pop it into the oven to finish cooking and heat
> > the sauce and melt the cheese. Sort of like "turkey burger parmagiana".
> >
> > *Back then, at least, the skin was ground in along with the meat so what
> > was supposed to be "healthier" was actually very fatty. I've no idea if
> > that still holds true in 2017.

> My husband ate the leftover chili and loved it. Go figure. Next up... Beef
> stew. At least I know how to make that! And I will eat it. Just debating
> whether or not to do dumplings. Perhaps biscuits would be better.

Did you let the gardener taste your hot dumplings?

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message ...

On 21-Sep-2017, Gary > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I do know,
> > while I managed to make somethig palatable out of ground
> > turkey in the
> > 1980's, it did not make me want to try it again, ever. Enjoy!

> I'm with you there, Jill. I also tried ground turkey back in
> the
> later 1980's. It came fresh in a package and I made 'turkey
> burgers.' Not near as good as I thought it might be and I never
> bought any again.

In the early '80s, I was told if I wanted to live to be 50, I
must change my eating habits to a "heart healthy" diet; which, at
that time, meant almost no fat of any kind, little or no red
meat, or pork. So, turkey products were consumed; ground turkey
"burgers", turkey sausage, turkey bacon. Soon, I was anti-turkey
in all but its whole bird form. Textured soy protein sausage was
better than the turkey stuff, and it was awful. So, I decided
that my heart healthy diet would be to eat the foods I love, in
moderation.

Today, I turned 70, so it worked. I got divorced and found I ate
less, 'cause I didn't seek comfort from a bad marriage in food
any longer. I sleep better because I no longer have trouble with
acid reflux. Today I am 40 pounds lighter than I was in the
early-80s, eat the foods I love in moderation and eschew turkey
in all its forms, except the bird at Thanksgiving. Once a year,
whole turkey parts are fine with me; but, no ground turkey.

===

Happy Birthday I hope you have a great day)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 21:16:18 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 21-Sep-2017, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "l not -l" wrote in message
>>
>> In the early '80s, I was told if I wanted to live to be 50, I
>> must change my eating habits to a "heart healthy" diet; which,
>> at
>> that time, meant almost no fat of any kind, little or no red
>> meat, or pork. So, turkey products were consumed; ground
>> turkey
>> "burgers", turkey sausage, turkey bacon. Soon, I was
>> anti-turkey
>> in all but its whole bird form. Textured soy protein sausage
>> was
>> better than the turkey stuff, and it was awful. So, I decided
>> that my heart healthy diet would be to eat the foods I love, in
>> moderation.
>>
>> Today, I turned 70, so it worked. I got divorced and found I
>> ate
>> less, 'cause I didn't seek comfort from a bad marriage in food
>> any longer. I sleep better because I no longer have trouble
>> with
>> acid reflux. Today I am 40 pounds lighter than I was in the
>> early-80s, eat the foods I love in moderation and eschew turkey
>> in all its forms, except the bird at Thanksgiving. Once a
>> year,
>> whole turkey parts are fine with me; but, no ground turkey.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Happy Birthday I hope you have a great day)

>Thank you. I figure I'm at the point in life where any day I
>can get out of bed on my own is a great day. 8-0

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHmH9lQZq6I>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 3:24 PM, Bruce wrote:

> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHmH9lQZq6I>

And then he was - join him, won't you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 21-Sep-2017, jmcquown > wrote:

>> > In the early '80s, I was told if I wanted to live to be 50, I
>> > must change my eating habits to a "heart healthy" diet;
>> > which, at
>> > that time, meant almost no fat of any kind, little or no red
>> > meat, or pork. So, turkey products were consumed; ground
>> > turkey
>> > "burgers", turkey sausage, turkey bacon. Soon, I was
>> > anti-turkey
>> > in all but its whole bird form. Textured soy protein sausage
>> > was
>> > better than the turkey stuff, and it was awful. So, I
>> > decided
>> > that my heart healthy diet would be to eat the foods I love,
>> > in
>> > moderation.
>> >
>> > Today, I turned 70, so it worked.

>> (snippage)
>>
>> Did we miss your birthday? Happy belated, l not -l!
>>
>> Jill

> Not at all belated; it is today. Thank you.

Happy Birthday or hau?oli la hanau! I hope you have many more.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 21-Sep-2017, jmcquown > wrote:

> > > In the early '80s, I was told if I wanted to live to be 50, I
> > > must change my eating habits to a "heart healthy" diet;
> > > which, at
> > > that time, meant almost no fat of any kind, little or no red
> > > meat, or pork. So, turkey products were consumed; ground
> > > turkey
> > > "burgers", turkey sausage, turkey bacon. Soon, I was
> > > anti-turkey
> > > in all but its whole bird form. Textured soy protein sausage
> > > was
> > > better than the turkey stuff, and it was awful. So, I
> > > decided
> > > that my heart healthy diet would be to eat the foods I love,
> > > in
> > > moderation.
> > >
> > > Today, I turned 70, so it worked.

> > (snippage)
> >
> > Did we miss your birthday? Happy belated, l not -l!
> >
> > Jill

> Not at all belated; it is today. Thank you.

Happy Birthday!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > She seduced him with her cooking?

>> Picture it Gary. Me, standing out in the yard dressed in something scanty
>> and lacy and waving a freshly baked batard.

> Oh Man! :-o

Hehehe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-09-21 8:44 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Picture it Gary. Me, standing out in the yard dressed in something
>>> scanty
>>> and lacy and waving a freshly baked batard.

>> Oh Man! :-o
>>

> I don't think there is enough bear in the world to make that work.

Bear?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, says...
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Ground turkey definitely requires a lot of seasoning. Back in the
>> > 1980's
>> > it was being touted as "healthier" than other ground meats. So I gave
>> > it
>> > a try a couple of times. It was sold in frozen 1 lb. chubs.
>> >
>> > The only way I found it tolerable was as spicy burgers (tacos would fit
>> > that bill, too). Or formed into patties, pan cook them to remove the
>> > excess fat*, then smother them with a well seasoned tomato sauce and
>> > top
>> > with shredded Parmesan. Pop it into the oven to finish cooking and
>> > heat
>> > the sauce and melt the cheese. Sort of like "turkey burger
>> > parmagiana".
>> >
>> > *Back then, at least, the skin was ground in along with the meat so
>> > what
>> > was supposed to be "healthier" was actually very fatty. I've no idea
>> > if
>> > that still holds true in 2017.

>> My husband ate the leftover chili and loved it. Go figure. Next up...
>> Beef
>> stew. At least I know how to make that! And I will eat it. Just debating
>> whether or not to do dumplings. Perhaps biscuits would be better.

> Did you let the gardener taste your hot dumplings?
>
> Janet UK

I don't even want to know what that means! Sounds perverted!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 21:14:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 14:02:54 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Nobody talks about Julie as much as you. Your wife says you even talk
>>> about her in your sleep.

>>I think I accidentally seduced him. Not sure how. Perhaps it was the
>>Canadian pea soup.

> That must have been it. Dave didn't stand a chance.

Heh. I feel like I have a new nickname. The accidental seducer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2017-09-21 2:04 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 21:14:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> I think I accidentally seduced him. Not sure how. Perhaps it was the
>>> Canadian pea soup.

>> That must have been it. Dave didn't stand a chance.
>>

> It would take beer. Lots and lots and lots of beer.

*Bats eyes in seductive way* I have beer. Lots and lots of beer! I use it
for slug bait though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> None of anything Julie writes make sense to me. I shouldn't ever
>>> bother commenting.

>> The second part is good to know.

> LOL, you're on a roll today Julie, good for you!!!
>
> Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa de Masa" > wrote in message
news
> On 9/21/2017 1:37 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You "complete" them. It's a tough responsibility but someone's got to do
>>> it!

>> Apparently so. And now... I am itching to bake something. But what? Fruit
>> and nut bread? Muffins?

> How about.......confetti iced CUPCAKES!

I actually made shortbread with chocolate and sprinkles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"rosie" > wrote in message
> On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:43:48 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Okay, this is going to sound weird but... I am helping someone out by
>> doing
>> their cooking for them. I won't get into the whole story but they
>> acquired
>> food from the food bank so no real choice as to what they got. They gave
>> me
>> the meat to cook for them. It came frozen. None of it is stuff that I
>> will
>> eat and I am not used to cooking this stuff.
>>
>> The first three things I pulled out were BBQ flavored turkey lunch meat,
>> pork chops and ground turkey. I figure the lunch meat can go into
>> Panini's
>> but I will have to research the flavors to see what might go with. Seems
>> like an odd flavor for turkey. The pork chops will use the orange/plum
>> sauce
>> that was given to me as a gift.
>>
>> But the ground turkey? I only ever tried it once and did not like it at
>> all.
>> However, the dish I will make with it is not one that I will be eating.
>> Of
>> course the obvious answer would be to ask the person what he would like
>> but
>> he is too busy working now and only has time to stop by for dinner. So...
>> What would be good to make with this? I am also feeding his dog so am
>> trying
>> to make things without onions or other things that dogs shouldn't eat. I
>> have made some things that do contain onions but kept back a small
>> portion
>> of the other ingredients so that I could make something safe for the dog.
>>
>> I was thinking of a white chili but would this work with ground turkey? I
>> have plenty of canned white beans, and some jarred salsa verde. If not
>> chili, then some other foods that I have are carrots, celery, peppers,
>> potatoes and all sorts of canned vegetables. Also pasta and rice.
>>
>> Any ideas? Going through this food will be interesting. Also saw a turkey
>> wing, chicken wings, ground bison, ground mystery meat and perhaps stew
>> meat. The meat came as such a surprise that my freezer is stuffed full.
>> We
>> had an interesting meal using up bits and pieces of things to make more
>> room
>> in there. I will go through the rest of it in a few days and see what
>> else
>> is there.

> How ABOUT SAUCE FOR PASTA?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 01:31:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2017-09-21 2:04 AM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 21:14:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> That must have been it. Dave didn't stand a chance.
>>>

>> It would take beer. Lots and lots and lots of beer.

>*Bats eyes in seductive way* I have beer. Lots and lots of beer! I use it
>for slug bait though.

You might catch a bigger slug than you bargained for!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message news

On 21-Sep-2017, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> "l not -l" wrote in message
>

> On 21-Sep-2017, Gary > wrote:
>
> > jmcquown wrote:
> > >
> > > I do know,
> > > while I managed to make somethig palatable out of ground
> > > turkey in the
> > > 1980's, it did not make me want to try it again, ever.
> > > Enjoy!

> > I'm with you there, Jill. I also tried ground turkey back in
> > the
> > later 1980's. It came fresh in a package and I made 'turkey
> > burgers.' Not near as good as I thought it might be and I
> > never
> > bought any again.

> In the early '80s, I was told if I wanted to live to be 50, I
> must change my eating habits to a "heart healthy" diet; which,
> at
> that time, meant almost no fat of any kind, little or no red
> meat, or pork. So, turkey products were consumed; ground
> turkey
> "burgers", turkey sausage, turkey bacon. Soon, I was
> anti-turkey
> in all but its whole bird form. Textured soy protein sausage
> was
> better than the turkey stuff, and it was awful. So, I decided
> that my heart healthy diet would be to eat the foods I love, in
> moderation.
>
> Today, I turned 70, so it worked. I got divorced and found I
> ate
> less, 'cause I didn't seek comfort from a bad marriage in food
> any longer. I sleep better because I no longer have trouble
> with
> acid reflux. Today I am 40 pounds lighter than I was in the
> early-80s, eat the foods I love in moderation and eschew turkey
> in all its forms, except the bird at Thanksgiving. Once a
> year,
> whole turkey parts are fine with me; but, no ground turkey.
>
> ===
>
> Happy Birthday I hope you have a great day)

Thank you. I figure I'm at the point in life where any day I
can get out of bed on my own is a great day. 8-0

==

lol I hope you managed to get out and have a party, even if on your own.
Heck who needs to please other people)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 4:24 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> Oh Man!Â* :-o
>>>

>> I don't think there is enough bear in the world to make that work.

> Bear?

Think he meant beer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 2:33 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Casa de Masa" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Apparently so. And now... I am itching to bake something. But what?
>>> Fruit and nut bread? Muffins?

>> How about.......confetti iced CUPCAKES!

> I actually made shortbread with chocolate and sprinkles.

Mmm...I LIKE that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

95% of the men here drink lite beer only, I've never tasted lite beer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 09:38:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>95% of the men here drink lite beer only, I've never tasted lite beer.

And of the straight men?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 9:31 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/22/2017 4:24 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I don't think there is enough bear in the world to make that work.

>> Bear?

> Think he meant beer.

Given where he lives he might actually mean bears.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 1:30 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 09:38:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> 95% of the men here drink lite beer only, I've never tasted lite beer.

> And of the straight men?

WTF is wrong with you, troll?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It's strange to see a 80 yr old man buy lite beer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 13:57:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>It's strange to see a 80 yr old man buy lite beer.

At that age, it may be easier to carry to the car.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2017 4:24 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I don't think there is enough bear in the world to make that work.

>> Bear?

> Think he meant beer.

Looks like he had too much of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 01:31:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> It would take beer. Lots and lots and lots of beer.

>>*Bats eyes in seductive way* I have beer. Lots and lots of beer! I use it
>>for slug bait though.

> You might catch a bigger slug than you bargained for!

Heh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-22 6:33 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 18:22:36 -0400, Dave Smith

>> usually have at least four different beers in the fridge and am
>> constantly trying new ones. I have a good friend who has similar ideas
>> about beer. We go for a lot of motorcycle rides together and stop by the
>> local craft breweries for a beer and try different beers each time.

> Motorcycle rides and beer are a bad combination. I can just see you
> fall over sideways on your 2 wheels.

A beer.... one. We do it frequently, but never have have more than one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 3:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 01:31:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> *Bats eyes in seductive way* I have beer. Lots and lots of beer! I
>>> use it
>>> for slug bait though.

>> You might catch a bigger slug than you bargained for!

> Heh!

Even a Louisville Slugger...

;-)

ground turkey Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 74 06-07-2012 07:36 PM
ground turkey KEN Baking 3 26-03-2007 10:11 PM
ground turkey WENDY HUNT Baking 0 25-03-2007 12:41 AM
Lean Ground Turkey Jaime General Cooking 12 26-07-2005 02:18 AM
ground turkey recipe? tenplay General Cooking 2 02-04-2004 10:15 PM