Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Tats and mutilation

On 2017-05-29 12:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/29/2017 12:22 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

rather good voice.

> I think he had a very good voice. From what I've read he wanted to be
> singer more than an actor.

There are lots of performers who can act and sing, and probably dance
and play at least one instrument as well. They end up in the branch of
performing that they find jobs in. There are lots of musicians who end
up working on one genre of music while their hearts are in another. I
knew a guitarist whose main aim was to be a session jazz guitarist, but
he often did country gigs because it paid. I also knew two brothers who
were incredible jazz musicians. One played guitar and the other played
bass, stand up bass, vibraphone and and a couple other instruments. I
was surprised to come across a performance by a local polka meister and
they were in his band. One of my guitar teachers was mainly into rock,
but I once saw him playing with the polka band too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> I didn't care about the father character in the Rifleman but I loved
> Johnny Crawford. He was not only cute, he could sing! His older brother,
> Robert Crawford, Jr. was in the TV show Laramie. There is a definite
> resemblence between the siblings. I don't remember Robert Jr. singing,
> though.
>
> Jill

I loved Johnny Crawford as a young girl and it was a huge thrill to see him
in person, I also liked Chuck Connors and Rifleman, I still watch it
occasionally.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> I have several very old LPs of Johnny Crawford. He was cute and had
> a rather good voice.

Cindy's Birthday was one of my favorites.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" wrote in message news > On 5/29/2017 12:22 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I'm more likley to watch this:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOwSpLoPLgs
>>>
>>> I didn't care about the father character in the Rifleman but I
>>> loved Johnny Crawford. He was not only cute, he could sing! His
>>> older brother, Robert Crawford, Jr. was in the TV show Laramie.
>>> There is a definite resemblence between the siblings. I don't
>>> remember Robert Jr. singing, though.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> I have several very old LPs of Johnny Crawford. He was cute and had
>> a rather good voice.
>>

> I think he had a very good voice. From what I've read he wanted to be
> singer more than an actor.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> This is interesting ...
> "Cindy's Birthday" by Johnny Crawford
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j03RWXoGoYU
>
> )

One of my favorites by him.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Mon 29 May 2017 10:11:35a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >>
>> On 5/29/2017 12:22 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Mon 29 May 2017 08:48:26a, jmcquown told us...

>>> I have several very old LPs of Johnny Crawford. He was cute and
>>> had a rather good voice.
>>>

>> I think he had a very good voice. From what I've read he wanted
>> to be singer more than an actor.
>>
>> Jill
>>
>> ==
>>
>> This is interesting ...
>>
>> "Cindy's Birthday" by Johnny Crawford
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j03RWXoGoYU
>>
>>)
>>

> Actually, that's one of my favoarites of his. It was from his first
> album.

I got to see him sing it in person at the State Fair in CA, it was a thrill
back then. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Mon 29 May 2017 10:11:35a, Ophelia told us...

> "jmcquown" wrote in message news >
> On 5/29/2017 12:22 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I'm more likley to watch this:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOwSpLoPLgs
>>>
>>> I didn't care about the father character in the Rifleman but I
>>> loved Johnny Crawford. He was not only cute, he could sing!
>>> His older brother, Robert Crawford, Jr. was in the TV show
>>> Laramie. There is a definite resemblence between the siblings.
>>> I don't remember Robert Jr. singing, though.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> I have several very old LPs of Johnny Crawford. He was cute and
>> had a rather good voice.
>>

> I think he had a very good voice. From what I've read he wanted
> to be singer more than an actor.
>
> Jill
>
> ==
>
> This is interesting ...
>
> "Cindy's Birthday" by Johnny Crawford
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j03RWXoGoYU
>
>)

Actually, that's one of my favoarites of his. It was from his first
album.

Wayne Boatwright

===

I will need to listen to it properly. I was just thinking of our Cindy)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Mon 29 May 2017 11:46:19a, Cheri told us...
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 9.45...
>>> On Mon 29 May 2017 10:11:35a, Ophelia told us...

>>> Actually, that's one of my favoarites of his. It was from his
>>> first album.

>> I got to see him sing it in person at the State Fair in CA, it was
>> a thrill back then. LOL
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> You were lucky! I loved him back then. I never got to see him as he
> was growing up, although I still have all of his albums. However,
> having seen The Johnny Crawford Dance Orchestra I was definitely not
> impressed. I am glad that made a success of it though.

My younger sister Candy and I went to see him and since YouTube has been
available one of us always sent it to our other sister Cindy on her
birthday, it's gotten to be a joke and Cindy doesn't like the song much, but
it's a tradition now, and I still love that song from *those good old days.*

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 3:46:30 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.45...
>
> On Mon 29 May 2017 10:11:35a, Ophelia told us...
>
> > "jmcquown" wrote in message news > >
> > On 5/29/2017 12:22 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Mon 29 May 2017 08:48:26a, jmcquown told us...

> >> I have several very old LPs of Johnny Crawford. He was cute and
> >> had a rather good voice.
> >>

> > I think he had a very good voice. From what I've read he wanted
> > to be singer more than an actor.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > This is interesting ...
> >
> > "Cindy's Birthday" by Johnny Crawford
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j03RWXoGoYU
> >
> >)
> >

> Actually, that's one of my favoarites of his. It was from his first
> album.
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ===
>
> I will need to listen to it properly. I was just thinking of our Cindy)

Oddly enough, I was completely unaware of the song.

This is the one I had to live with:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZVpTtYyPs>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Mon 29 May 2017 11:43:22a, Cheri told us...
>

>> I loved Johnny Crawford as a young girl and it was a huge thrill
>> to see him in person, I also liked Chuck Connors and Rifleman, I
>> still watch it occasionally.
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> I never cared for westerns, either as a child or as an adult. However,
> I did watch The Rifleman a few times just to see Johnny. :-)

I didn't get to watch the old western TV shows when I was a child. Many
of them aired before I was born. The ones that were still on in the
1960's I didn't get to watch because when Dad was home, well, it was
*his* TV so we watched what he watched or did other things.

This is probably why I enjoy reading so much. I wasn't interested in
watching golf or 'Combat!'.

It's only in the last few years I've discovered how much I like watching
the old TV westerns. That's mostly thanks to a cable channel called
MeTV. I get a kick out of them. It's funny how many bullets those
six-shooters (and rifles) could hold! People get shot to pieces but
there were never any bullet holes in their oh-so-clean shirts. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 3:46:30 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.45...
>
> On Mon 29 May 2017 10:11:35a, Ophelia told us...
>
> > "jmcquown" wrote in message news > >
> > On 5/29/2017 12:22 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Mon 29 May 2017 08:48:26a, jmcquown told us...

> >> I have several very old LPs of Johnny Crawford. He was cute and
> >> had a rather good voice.
> >>

> > I think he had a very good voice. From what I've read he wanted
> > to be singer more than an actor.
> >
> > Jill
> >
> > ==
> >
> > This is interesting ...
> >
> > "Cindy's Birthday" by Johnny Crawford
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j03RWXoGoYU
> >
> >)
> >

> Actually, that's one of my favoarites of his. It was from his first
> album.
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ===
>
> I will need to listen to it properly. I was just thinking of our Cindy)

Oddly enough, I was completely unaware of the song.

This is the one I had to live with:

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZVpTtYyPs>

Cindy Hamilton

==

I remember this one) Which do you prefer? )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-30 8:40 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I didn't get to watch the old western TV shows when I was a child.
> Many of them aired before I was born. The ones that were still on in
> the 1960's I didn't get to watch because when Dad was home, well, it
> was *his* TV so we watched what he watched or did other things.

You didn't miss much. We were not allowed to watch much television and
were usually sent outside to play. We would go to our friends' place
down the road and they would be sitting around watching television, but
I was usually antsy to get outside and do something.

I never enjoyed westerns, which most of the shows were in the 50s. I did
not enjoy cartoons. The Three Stooges were funny, but there didn't seem
to be many episodes.

My wife only watched television at her friend's house because her
father would allow a television in the house. It certainly was not a
matter of not being able to afford it. He thought they were a waste of
time. It was not until after my wife graduated from college and moved
away that they finally got one. My MiL used to stay up late and watch
movies, but FIL used to come by once in a while and check the score on a
hockey game.

> This is probably why I enjoy reading so much. I wasn't interested
> in watching golf or 'Combat!'.
>
> It's only in the last few years I've discovered how much I like
> watching the old TV westerns. That's mostly thanks to a cable
> channel called MeTV. I get a kick out of them. It's funny how
> many bullets those six-shooters (and rifles) could hold! People get
> shot to pieces but there were never any bullet holes in their
> oh-so-clean shirts. LOL

They haven't changed much there. I get a kick out of some of the violent
gun fights with automatic weapons. Even if machine guns could sustain a
high rate of fire without overheating and jamming, the weight of the
ammunition they would have to carry would be substantial. Ammunition is
heavy and Rambo would have to lug about a ton and a half of ammo for any
of his shootout scenes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-30 9:36 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Back in the 1950s we were lucky to have two televisions, a 21" set in
> the den that we all watch, or if I didn't want to watch what my
> parents were watching, I had a 12" set in my room, so I could watch
> anything I wanted.

I remember when we got our first television, some time around 1955-56.
It had a small screen and we only received a couple stations on it and
the picture was pretty crappy. Forget about colour because colour TVs
were very expensive and needed frequent repairs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 9:57:35 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 3:46:30 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> > 9.45...
> >
> > On Mon 29 May 2017 10:11:35a, Ophelia told us...

> > > I think he had a very good voice. From what I've read he wanted
> > > to be singer more than an actor.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > This is interesting ...
> > >
> > > "Cindy's Birthday" by Johnny Crawford
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j03RWXoGoYU
> > >
> > >)
> > >

> > Actually, that's one of my favoarites of his. It was from his first
> > album.
> >

> > Wayne Boatwright
> >
> > ===
> >
> > I will need to listen to it properly. I was just thinking of our Cindy)

> Oddly enough, I was completely unaware of the song.
>
> This is the one I had to live with:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZVpTtYyPs>
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> I remember this one) Which do you prefer? )

Oh, that's a good one. I almost laughed.

Both represent the nadir of popular music in the U.S.
(Mind you, I haven't listened to popular music in about
30 years, so perhaps there's even worse stuff now.)

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 9:57:35 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 3:46:30 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> > 9.45...
> >
> > On Mon 29 May 2017 10:11:35a, Ophelia told us...

> > > I think he had a very good voice. From what I've read he wanted
> > > to be singer more than an actor.
> > >
> > > Jill
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > This is interesting ...
> > >
> > > "Cindy's Birthday" by Johnny Crawford
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j03RWXoGoYU
> > >
> > >)
> > >

> > Actually, that's one of my favoarites of his. It was from his first
> > album.
> >

> > Wayne Boatwright
> >
> > ===
> >
> > I will need to listen to it properly. I was just thinking of our
> > Cindy)

> Oddly enough, I was completely unaware of the song.
>
> This is the one I had to live with:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZVpTtYyPs>
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> I remember this one) Which do you prefer? )

Oh, that's a good one. I almost laughed.

Both represent the nadir of popular music in the U.S.
(Mind you, I haven't listened to popular music in about
30 years, so perhaps there's even worse stuff now.)

Cindy Hamilton

===

Down to preference I guess I have Leonard Cohen playing just now!
Heavenly)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-30 10:59 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 30 May 2017 06:43:01a, Dave Smith told us...

could watch anything I wanted.

>> I remember when we got our first television, some time around
>> 1955-56. It had a small screen and we only received a couple
>> stations on it and the picture was pretty crappy. Forget about
>> colour because colour TVs were very expensive and needed frequent
>> repairs.

> My dad bought our 21" television in December, 1952 as a surprise for
> our family...there was must my dad, mom, and me. The set was made by
> CBS Columbia and was a large console that housed the television,
> radion, and hi-fi. We had a a rooftop antenna with a rotator and got
> excellent reception. The small set in my room was also connected to
> the rooftop antenna. We received the three primary broadcast
> companies. The channel range was 2-13. All sets at that time were
> VHF, but a couple of years later you could buy a UHF adapater to
> connect to any television that would receive channels above channel 13.

We lived about 15 miles west of Toronto and for a while had only CBC out
of Toronto and a few years later CHCH from Hamilton and then CTV from
Agincourt (northeast of Toronto) We were on the fringe for the three
Buffalo stations and got two of them... sort of.

> IIRC, the first stadardized color broadcasts began in 1953. Our next
> door neightbor bought a color set a year or two later. It had a large
> screen, about 21", but was extremely difficult to adjust. I don't
> recall if it required freuent service calls.

All TVs needed frequent repairs. They used vacuum tube diodes and
triodes that had short lives. Just about every convenience store and
hardware store had a tube tester and a supply of replacement tubes, so
DIY types could easily diagnose and repair problems. As I recall, colour
TVs were much more likely to break down than B&W. They used to joke
about them coming with their own repairman. TV repair was big business
back then and every town had at least one shop. People don't even
bother repairing TVs anymore. The sets last longer and it is usually
cheaper to replace them than to repair them. Replacement makes even more
sense given the advances in technology.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 7:41:11 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> It's funny how many bullets those
> six-shooters (and rifles) could hold!
>
> Jill

Roy Rogers said they always used .44 caliber pistols on those
old western shows because they NEVER had to reload. He always
said this with a big grin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Oddly enough, I was completely unaware of the song.
>
> This is the one I had to live with:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZVpTtYyPs>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I actually liked that song as well as this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMjiXcrHTI

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> Do any of you remember Paul Peterson from The Donna Reed Show? He
> was a cute kid and had a nice voice. He cut several albums. There's
> a song on Utube that he recorded on the TV show called "My Dad". I
> really like it, and it always makes me think of my dad.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NaHhanrYjg

Love that song too, and Paul Peterson!

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2017 10:27 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 30 May 2017 06:34:37a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>> On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 3:46:30 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>>> 9.45...
>>>
>>> On Mon 29 May 2017 10:11:35a, Ophelia told us...

>>> Actually, that's one of my favoarites of his. It was from his
>>> first album.
>>>

>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> I will need to listen to it properly. I was just thinking of our
>>> Cindy)

>> Oddly enough, I was completely unaware of the song.
>>
>> This is the one I had to live with:
>>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZVpTtYyPs>
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I remember this one) Which do you prefer? )
>>

> Do any of you remember Paul Peterson from The Donna Reed Show? He
> was a cute kid and had a nice voice. He cut several albums. There's
> a song on Utube that he recorded on the TV show called "My Dad". I
> really like it, and it always makes me think of my dad.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NaHhanrYjg

Paul Peterson, Shelley Fabares and James Darren recorded at least two
albums back then. My sister had both of them.
https://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Trian.../dp/B00000J2VB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 6:44:33 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 30 May 2017 12:20:01p, Cheri told us...
>
> > "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> >
> >> Oddly enough, I was completely unaware of the song.
> >>
> >> This is the one I had to live with:
> >>
> >> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jZVpTtYyPs>
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > I actually liked that song as well as this one.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMjiXcrHTI
> >

> Who could resist Ricky Nelsom?

Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 6:44:33 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 30 May 2017 12:20:01p, Cheri told us...
>>
>> > "Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message

>> > I actually liked that song as well as this one.
>> >
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMjiXcrHTI
>> >

>> Who could resist Ricky Nelsom?

>Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
>Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
>Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
>postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 6:44:33 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Tue 30 May 2017 12:20:01p, Cheri told us...

> >> Who could resist Ricky Nelsom?

> >Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
> >Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
> >Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
> >postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 6:44:33 PM UTC-4, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Tue 30 May 2017 12:20:01p, Cheri told us...

> >> Who could resist Ricky Nelsom?

> >Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
> >Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
> >Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
> >postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.

Cindy Hamilton

==

Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)

Who is your favourite now, both of you?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2017 9:00 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
>>> Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
>>> Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
>>> postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

>> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

> Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Depends on the decade too. He was losing it towards the end.

I've always enjoyed some (not all) classical music. Recently, I've been
watching some YouTube videos of it cast to the TV. I've really gotten
quite an appreciation for what goes into writing and arranging a 40+
minute symphony. Listening is nice, but watching the performance is
much better. I also find that Hillary Hahn is easy on both ears and eyes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
>> >Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
>> >Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
>> >postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

>> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

> Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>
> Who is your favourite now, both of you?

I never could stand FS, and add Tony Bennett to that too. To me, music
started with Elvis and onto the British Invasion etc., I have mostly liked
the music since then, except I do not like Heavy Metal or Rap.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
>> >Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
>> >Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
>> >postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

>> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

> Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>
> Who is your favourite now, both of you?

I never could stand FS, and add Tony Bennett to that too. To me, music
started with Elvis and onto the British Invasion etc., I have mostly liked
the music since then, except I do not like Heavy Metal or Rap.

Cheri

==

Yes Popular music began with Elvis for me too) I simply don't
understand Heavy Metal or Rap!

My favourite at the moment is Leonard Cohen. What a voice)

Going back to what I said to Ed, I have always loved opera but that is a
different level of music, not something to work along to I go to concerts
for that

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 5/31/2017 9:00 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
>>> Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
>>> Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
>>> postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

>> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

> Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Depends on the decade too. He was losing it towards the end.

I've always enjoyed some (not all) classical music. Recently, I've been
watching some YouTube videos of it cast to the TV. I've really gotten
quite an appreciation for what goes into writing and arranging a 40+
minute symphony. Listening is nice, but watching the performance is
much better. I also find that Hillary Hahn is easy on both ears and eyes.

===

Ahhh classical music is a whole nuther thing!!! Nothing can beat that, but
I thought we were just discussing popular music)

I adore opera in particular!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 9:35:33 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > >Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
> > >Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
> > >Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
> > >postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

> > Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

> Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>
> Who is your favourite now, both of you?

I still don't have much liking for popular music, although I've
been exposed to it all my life and know what I like and don't
like.

Classical: Johann Sebastian Bach
Jazz: Benny Goodman
Folk: John Roberts and Tony Barrand
Rock: The Beatles

Any sub-genres worth breaking out separately?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 10:29:24 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/31/2017 9:00 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

> > Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Depends on the decade too. He was losing it towards the end.

That correlates pretty well with "who was backing him up?"
And I agree that he wasn't so good toward the end of his career.
I feel the same about Elvis.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 12:27:23 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

> > Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
> >
> > Who is your favourite now, both of you?

> I never could stand FS, and add Tony Bennett to that too. To me, music
> started with Elvis and onto the British Invasion etc.

That's certainly your privilege, but it seems to sell short the
centuries of music that came before it.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 9:35:33 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> > "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > > On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > > Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

> > Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
> >
> > Who is your favourite now, both of you?

> I still don't have much liking for popular music, although I've
> been exposed to it all my life and know what I like and don't
> like.
>

> Jazz: Benny Goodman

BG is a solid fave, especially his "Camel Caravan" radio shows from the late 30's...there are tons of his downloadable old broadcasts available for free online.

> Any sub-genres worth breaking out separately?

Johnny Mercer, songster supreme, and in 1942 he founded Capitol Records. He had a great radio show, "Johnny Mercer's Music Shop", they are online to download. He had a fantastic starting roster for Capitol Records, e.g. Peggy Lee, Ella Mae Morse, Jo Stafford, Nat King Cole, The Pied Pipers...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 May 2017 14:34:51 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
>On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
>> >Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
>> >Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
>> >postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

>> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

>Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>
>Cindy Hamilton
>
>==
>
>Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>
>Who is your favourite now, both of you?

Tom Waits. You?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 May 2017 09:26:31 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

>> Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>>
>> Who is your favourite now, both of you?

>I never could stand FS, and add Tony Bennett to that too.

An adult man -a mafioso to boot- singing about picking up lots of
forget-me-nots... I don't know. Not my cup of tea either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 9:35:33 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > >Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
> > >Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
> > >Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
> > >postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

> > Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

> Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ==
>
> Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>
> Who is your favourite now, both of you?

I still don't have much liking for popular music, although I've
been exposed to it all my life and know what I like and don't
like.

Classical: Johann Sebastian Bach
Jazz: Benny Goodman
Folk: John Roberts and Tony Barrand
Rock: The Beatles

Any sub-genres worth breaking out separately?

Cindy Hamilton

===

Love Bach, hate the Beatles, don't know the rest

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
>On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 May 2017 03:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Me, actually. I'm just young enough that I grew up with the
>> >Beatles and the Stones. A little earlier sounds like pabulum.
>> >Even earlier (big band) is ok. There's just that long, boring,
>> >postwar stretch in popular music that puts me right to sleep.

>> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

>Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>
>Cindy Hamilton
>
>==
>
>Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>
>Who is your favourite now, both of you?

Tom Waits. You?

===

Not heard him. Atm the popular music I like is Leonard Cohen)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 May 2017 19:55:56 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 31 May 2017 14:34:51 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>>On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

>>Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton
>>
>>==
>>
>>Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>>
>>Who is your favourite now, both of you?

>Tom Waits. You?
>
>===
>
>Not heard him. Atm the popular music I like is Leonard Cohen)

Yes, I like him too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Wed, 31 May 2017 14:34:51 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>>On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 7:07:43 AM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Pat Boone, Bing Crosby even Frank Sinatra.

>>Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton
>>
>>==
>>
>>Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>>
>>Who is your favourite now, both of you?

>Tom Waits. You?
>
>===
>
>Not heard him. Atm the popular music I like is Leonard Cohen)

Yes, I like him too.

==

Sadly, he died. Have you heard his last one? Dark!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 May 2017 20:35:46 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Wed, 31 May 2017 19:55:56 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Wed, 31 May 2017 14:34:51 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>>>
>>>Cindy Hamilton
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>>>
>>>Who is your favourite now, both of you?

>>Tom Waits. You?
>>
>>===
>>
>>Not heard him. Atm the popular music I like is Leonard Cohen)

>Yes, I like him too.
>
>==
>
>Sadly, he died. Have you heard his last one? Dark!

No, I haven't. So many have died recently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/31/2017 1:13 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 12:27:23 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:

>>> Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>>>
>>> Who is your favourite now, both of you?

>> I never could stand FS, and add Tony Bennett to that too. To me, music
>> started with Elvis and onto the British Invasion etc.

> That's certainly your privilege, but it seems to sell short the
> centuries of music that came before it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Good point. I listen to a lot of 40's on XM radio. Glenn Miller, Artie
Shaw, etc. I was never a Beatles fan but I don't change the station if
it comes on. Elvis was good, but so were many before him. There are so
many types of music that have contributed to what Elvis drew from they
should not be cast aside. His exposure to blues, gospel and other made
him what he was.

I like a lot of the 50's too, but I listen to some and think "did
someone really write those silly lyrics?"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 May 2017 10:13:32 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 12:27:23 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>> > Depending on his backup band, Sinatra is ok.
>> >
>> > Cindy Hamilton
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Not for me. I liked it all best when rock began)
>> >
>> > Who is your favourite now, both of you?

>> I never could stand FS, and add Tony Bennett to that too. To me, music
>> started with Elvis and onto the British Invasion etc.

>That's certainly your privilege, but it seems to sell short the
>centuries of music that came before it.

That sounds like we owe something to somebody. It's not that
complicated. You hear something and you like it or you don't.