Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Tats and mutilation

On Wed, 24 May 2017 23:47:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 24 May 2017 04:01:49p, lucretia told us...
>
>> On Wed, 24 May 2017 18:50:19 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>>notbob asked me if it was true about the lymph nodes, or a myth
>>>like John Wayne.
>>>
>>>I said it was true. *About the lymph nodes.* I don't care what
>>>was or wasn't in John Wayne's gut when he died.
>>>
>>>nancy

>> I think if I were young and starting out again I'd be opening a
>> tat removal place

>There are sesveral plastic surgeons who advertise is medical
>publicatoins that one of their services is laser tattoo removal. If
>you use a laser in AZ for this purpose, you must be an MD.

The laser removal leaves a ugly mark, I was thinking more of
developing something else, money in them thar hills.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"lucretia" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 May 2017 23:47:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Wed 24 May 2017 04:01:49p, lucretia told us...
>>
>>> On Wed, 24 May 2017 18:50:19 -0400, Nancy Young

>>> I think if I were young and starting out again I'd be opening a
>>> tat removal place

>>There are sesveral plastic surgeons who advertise is medical
>>publicatoins that one of their services is laser tattoo removal. If
>>you use a laser in AZ for this purpose, you must be an MD.

> The laser removal leaves a ugly mark, I was thinking more of
> developing something else, money in them thar hills.

I had to laugh when some comedian said that the future looks very scary with
all those octogenarians running around covered in tats, listening to heavy
metal.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Wed 24 May 2017 02:20:57p, Nancy Young told us...

>> think of them. I don't really care but the face tattoos are
>> just stupid.
>>
>> In my opinion.

> Even with tattoo aficionados (sp), having names tattoos are
> considered to not be a good idea.

Face, right? Just makes you look deranged.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

>My cousin, the ONLY male in the family that had a tattoo, got
>one while in the navy of his wife's name. They divorced and
>how he hated, hated, hated that tattoo.

It's no biggie to tattoo over a name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 5:13:21 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Then it has to be true. I was inspired to Google it and found articles
> that talked about 40 pounds of impacted feces and attributed it to his
> having been suffering from cancer and taking a lot of pain medication,
> which generally causes constipation. Then I came across a site that said
> that since he had been suffering from cancer for an extended period and
> that his death was obviously a result of that cancer, that no autopsy
> was done.

That tall tale about him having 40 pounds of impacted feces
is false.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 May 2017 17:07:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"lucretia" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 24 May 2017 23:47:05 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed 24 May 2017 04:01:49p, lucretia told us...

>>>There are sesveral plastic surgeons who advertise is medical
>>>publicatoins that one of their services is laser tattoo removal. If
>>>you use a laser in AZ for this purpose, you must be an MD.

>> The laser removal leaves a ugly mark, I was thinking more of
>> developing something else, money in them thar hills.

>I had to laugh when some comedian said that the future looks very scary with
>all those octogenarians running around covered in tats, listening to heavy
>metal.
>
>Cheri

Makes one thankful not to be around
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 May 2017 16:47:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 23 May 2017 08:47:16a, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> I was sitting in the dermatologist's office this morning and there
>> was the oddest looking guy. It was nice and warm out and this guy
>> was dressed head to toe in insulated camo coveralls. He had at
>> least six safety pin type things stuck in each ear, two in each
>> eye brow, and a couple more in his forehead. I know some while
>> think it judgemental, but I had to wonder if he should be seeing a
>> dermatologist of a psychiatrist.

>There's no telling what kind or how many piericngs he had under those
>coveralls. He probably had a Prince Albert, too.
>
>Until about twelve years ago I had two piercings in each ear lobe, but
>what I wore in them were small and modest, most often a diamond or ruby
>on a post. I had those since the early 1970s. Since then I only have
>one piercing in one earlobe and wear a small diamond post in it.

I had my ears pierced when I was 6, and then a second set when I was
fourteen. I usually wear a pair of small hoops or dangly earrings in
the first holes (currently a set of Balinese temple earrings) and then
just tiny gold or silver balls on posts in the second set. I also have
a tiny diamond stud further up my left ear just where it starts to
fold over.

If I had been a teenager when navel rings made their debut I would
definitely have had one. So cute with a bikini. I was in my early 30s
when I first started seeing them but decided they were for the young,
not more mature ladies. Kept the bikinis until I was about 40 or so.

I also have a detailed chinese dragon tattoo on my hip to honour my
wonderful Chinese sister in law who was horrifically murdered in a
random attack by a mentally ill person. It is in remarkably good
condition for a 30 year old tattoo, but it has hardly seen the light
of day and I have never had enough of a weight gain to stretch the
skin. Grandkids love it.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2017 6:13 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I was inspired to Google it and found articles
> that talked about 40 pounds of impacted feces and attributed it to his
> having been suffering from cancer and taking a lot of pain medication,
> which generally causes constipation. Then I came across a site that said
> that since he had been suffering from cancer for an extended period and
> that his death was obviously a result of that cancer, that no autopsy
> was done.

After I logged off, it occurred to me I did hear something about
his cancer, that from one movie set in the the desert, an
extraordinary percentage of people on set later came down with
cancer. Seems they filmed on or near a nuclear test site.

Of course, there's no way to know if that was the cause, but
within 5 years a lot of people on location were sick or dead of cancer.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I thought I read at the time he died that it was lung cancer.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 5/24/2017 6:13 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > I was inspired to Google it and found articles
> > that talked about 40 pounds of impacted feces and attributed it to his
> > having been suffering from cancer and taking a lot of pain medication,
> > which generally causes constipation. Then I came across a site that said
> > that since he had been suffering from cancer for an extended period and
> > that his death was obviously a result of that cancer, that no autopsy
> > was done.

> After I logged off, it occurred to me I did hear something about
> his cancer, that from one movie set in the the desert, an
> extraordinary percentage of people on set later came down with
> cancer. Seems they filmed on or near a nuclear test site.
>
> Of course, there's no way to know if that was the cause, but
> within 5 years a lot of people on location were sick or dead of cancer.

Yup, Nancy, Susan Hayward died from cancer, too, as did a good percentage of others that were involved with that John Wayne film:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...tive-movie-set

"Did John Wayne die of cancer caused by a radioactive movie set?

October 26, 1984
Dear Cecil:

My girlfriend says that half of the film crew and eight of the cast of the movie The Conqueror starring John Wayne died of cancer after an A-bomb test in Nevada. It can't be the truth €” that many people €” can it? Please, Cecil, give us the Straight Dope.

€” John L., Santa Monica, California

Cecil replies:

I'm horrified to have to report this, John, but your girlfriend's claim is only slightly exaggerated. Of the 220 persons who worked on The Conqueror on location in Utah in 1955, 91 had contracted cancer as of the early 1980s and 46 died of it, including stars John Wayne, Susan Hayward, and Agnes Moorehead, and director Dick Powell. Experts say under ordinary circumstances only 30 people out of a group of that size should have gotten cancer. The cause? No one can say for sure, but many attribute the cancers to radioactive fallout from U.S. atom bomb tests in nearby Nevada. The whole ghastly story is told in The Hollywood Hall of Shame by Harry and Michael Medved. But let's start at the beginning.

The Conqueror, a putative love story involving Genghis Khan's lust for the beautiful princess Bortai (Hayward), was a classic Hollywood big budget fiasco, one of many financed by would-be movie mogul Howard Hughes. Originally director Powell wanted to get Marlon Brando for the lead, but John Wayne, then at the height of his popularity, happened to see the script one day and decided he and Genghis were meant for each other. Unfortunately, the script was written in a cornball style that was made even more ludicrous by the Duke's wooden line readings. In the following sample, Wayne/Genghis has just been urged by his sidekick Jamuga not to attack the caravan carrying Princess Bortai: "There are moments fer wisdom, Juh-mooga, then I listen to you--and there are moments fer action €” then I listen to my blood. I feel this Tartar wuh-man is fer me, and my blood says, 'TAKE HER!'" In the words of one writer, it was the world's "most improbable piece of casting unless Mickey Rooney were to play Jesus in The King of Kings."

The movie was shot in the canyonlands around the Utah town of St. George. Filming was chaotic. The actors suffered in 120 degree heat, a black panther attempted to take a bite out of Susan Hayward, and a flash flood at one point just missed wiping out everybody. But the worst didn't become apparent until long afterward. In 1953, the military had tested 11 atomic bombs at Yucca Flats, Nevada, which resulted in immense clouds of fallout floating downwind. Much of the deadly dust funneled into Snow Canyon, Utah, where a lot of The Conqueror was shot. The actors and crew were exposed to the stuff for 13 weeks, no doubt inhaling a fair amount of it in the process, and Hughes later shipped 60 tons of hot dirt back to Hollywood to use on a set for retakes, thus making things even worse.

Many people involved in the production knew about the radiation (there's a picture of Wayne himself operating a Geiger counter during the filming), but no one took the threat seriously at the time. Thirty years later, however, half the residents of St. George had contracted cancer, and veterans of the production began to realize they were in trouble. Actor Pedro Armendariz developed cancer of the kidney only four years after the movie was completed, and later shot himself when he learned his condition was terminal.

Howard Hughes was said to have felt "guilty as hell" about the whole affair, although as far as I can tell it never occurred to anyone to sue him. For various reasons he withdrew The Conqueror from circulation, and for years thereafter the only person who saw it was Hughes himself, who screened it night after night during his paranoid last years.

€” Cecil Adams..."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 24 May 2017 18:04:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Maybe we shouldn't be so hard on them for getting those tattoos.

Hey, Dave shows a glimmer of open-mindedness!

>If they feel a need to tell the world they are bass ass idiot, perhaps we
>should
>appreciate the advance warning.

Oh.

==

rofl

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-25 8:48 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

> After I logged off, it occurred to me I did hear something about
> his cancer, that from one movie set in the the desert, an
> extraordinary percentage of people on set later came down with
> cancer. Seems they filmed on or near a nuclear test site.
>
> Of course, there's no way to know if that was the cause, but
> within 5 years a lot of people on location were sick or dead of cancer.

Cancer is a strange disease. He had been previously treated for lung
cancer, and that was likely a result of him having been a very heavy
smoker. A lot of movie stars of that era had lung cancer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-25 9:34 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> I thought I read at the time he died that it was lung cancer.

He had had lung cancer and was supposed to have been cancer free for
some time. It was stomach cancer that got him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JBurns wrote:

>I had my ears pierced when I was 6, and then a second set when I was
>fourteen. I usually wear a pair of small hoops or dangly earrings in
>the first holes (currently a set of Balinese temple earrings) and then
>just tiny gold or silver balls on posts in the second set. I also have
>a tiny diamond stud further up my left ear just where it starts to
>fold over.
>
>If I had been a teenager when navel rings made their debut I would
>definitely have had one. So cute with a bikini. I was in my early 30s
>when I first started seeing them but decided they were for the young,
>not more mature ladies. Kept the bikinis until I was about 40 or so.
>
>I also have a detailed chinese dragon tattoo on my hip to honour my
>wonderful Chinese sister in law who was horrifically murdered in a
>random attack by a mentally ill person. It is in remarkably good
>condition for a 30 year old tattoo, but it has hardly seen the light
>of day and I have never had enough of a weight gain to stretch the
>skin. Grandkids love it.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of that dragon tat to share?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2017 10:17 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-25 9:34 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> I thought I read at the time he died that it was lung cancer.
>>

> He had had lung cancer and was supposed to have been cancer free for
> some time. It was stomach cancer that got him.

Some forms of cancer may spread to other organs.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-25 11:07 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/25/2017 10:17 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2017-05-25 9:34 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>> I thought I read at the time he died that it was lung cancer.
>>>

>> He had had lung cancer and was supposed to have been cancer free for
>> some time. It was stomach cancer that got him.
>>

> Some forms of cancer may spread to other organs.

Many of them do. He may have been declared cancer free back in 1969, but
I am not sure how reliable the technology was back then. He smoked 6
packs of cigarettes a day. Heck, he probably inhaled more tar and
nicotine than oxygen.

I am pleased to report that I was at the dermatologist the other day and
the spots I was worried about were of no concern to her, just age
related. I had had some spots treated with nitrogen a couple years ago
and that worked. I had another spot sprayed on Tuesday. However, I was
told to use sun screen whenever I go outside and to re-apply it every
two hours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 8:42:34 AM UTC-5, The Greatest! wrote:

>Susan Hayward died from cancer, too, as did a good percentage of others that were involved with that John Wayne film:

John Wayne, Susan Hayward, and Dick Powell were all heavy,
heavy smokers. Probably being in that area didn't help
their chances of survival though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2017 12:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I am pleased to report that I was at the dermatologist the other day and
> the spots I was worried about were of no concern to her, just age
> related. I had had some spots treated with nitrogen a couple years ago
> and that worked. I had another spot sprayed on Tuesday. However, I was
> told to use sun screen whenever I go outside and to re-apply it every
> two hours.

Congratulations on the good diagnosis. I never did understand why
people won't use sunscreen.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 8:42:34 AM UTC-5, The Greatest! wrote:
> >
> >Susan Hayward died from cancer, too, as did a good percentage of others that were involved with that John Wayne film:
> >

> John Wayne, Susan Hayward, and Dick Powell were all heavy,
> heavy smokers. Probably being in that area didn't help
> their chances of survival though.

Yup, true...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-25 2:55 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/25/2017 12:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I am pleased to report that I was at the dermatologist the other day and
>> the spots I was worried about were of no concern to her, just age
>> related. I had had some spots treated with nitrogen a couple years ago
>> and that worked. I had another spot sprayed on Tuesday. However, I was
>> told to use sun screen whenever I go outside and to re-apply it every
>> two hours.

> Congratulations on the good diagnosis. I never did understand why
> people won't use sunscreen.

I confess that I have only used in in the past when I expected to be out
in the sun for a long time. When I go kayaking with the club there is
always someone remind everyone to put it on. One down side of applying
it just before heading off off is it makes the paddle very hard to hold
on to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2017 9:42 AM, The Greatest! wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>> After I logged off, it occurred to me I did hear something about
>> his cancer, that from one movie set in the the desert, an
>> extraordinary percentage of people on set later came down with
>> cancer. Seems they filmed on or near a nuclear test site.
>>
>> Of course, there's no way to know if that was the cause, but
>> within 5 years a lot of people on location were sick or dead of cancer.

> Yup, Nancy, Susan Hayward died from cancer, too, as did a good percentage
>of others that were involved with that John Wayne film:
>
> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...tive-movie-set

>> The Conqueror, a putative love story involving Genghis Khan's lust for the beautiful
>>princess Bortai (Hayward), was a classic Hollywood big budget fiasco, one of many financed
>>by would-be movie mogul Howard Hughes. Originally director Powell wanted to get Marlon Brando
>>for the lead, but John Wayne, then at the height of his popularity, happened to see the
>>script one day and decided he and Genghis were meant for each other.

The thought of it made me laugh. He thought he would be believable as
Genghis Kahn.

>> Unfortunately, the script was written in a cornball style that was made even more ludicrous
>>by the Duke's wooden line readings.

He's before my time but I have wondered if people thought of him as a
great actor. Wooden is how I see his delivery.

>> In the following sample, Wayne/Genghis has just been urged by his sidekick >>Jamuga not to attack the caravan carrying Princess Bortai: "There are

moments fer wisdom,
>>Juh-mooga, then I listen to you--and there are moments fer action €” then I listen to my
>>blood. I feel this Tartar wuh-man is fer me, and my blood says, 'TAKE HER!'"

Sounds like something out of Princess Bride that was meant to be a laugh.

Thanks for the article. Interesting.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 25 May 2017 15:29:04 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-05-25 2:55 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/25/2017 12:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I am pleased to report that I was at the dermatologist the other day and
>>> the spots I was worried about were of no concern to her, just age
>>> related. I had had some spots treated with nitrogen a couple years ago
>>> and that worked. I had another spot sprayed on Tuesday. However, I was
>>> told to use sun screen whenever I go outside and to re-apply it every
>>> two hours.

>> Congratulations on the good diagnosis. I never did understand why
>> people won't use sunscreen.

>I confess that I have only used in in the past when I expected to be out
>in the sun for a long time. When I go kayaking with the club there is
>always someone remind everyone to put it on. One down side of applying
>it just before heading off off is it makes the paddle very hard to hold
>on to.

You're in a canoe on the water, how far is to reach your hands into
the water to wash off sunscreen. . . most sunsreens are water
soluable, is why they need to be applied so often. I apply sunscreen
when I mow, I keep a tube of sunscreen in my tractor and even though
I'm in a cab I wear a wide brimmed hat as most of the time the sun
comes from the side. When mowing I also coat my hands with bag balm,
did the same when I canoed, not slippery and prevents blisters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, 25 May 2017 15:51:22 UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/25/2017 4:42 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> The percentage of cancer events from the cast and crew of that film
> >> was very high. Presumably other movies with those actors didn't have
> >> that same result.

> > If there is any truth to the story then other movies with the same cast
> > of actors would have similar rates.

> Maybe they did, if all the same cast, crew, directors, etc all worked
> on the same movies. Let's not forget half the people in town got
> cancer, too. This isn't some urban legend, the area was radioactive.
> Presumably still is.
>
> It's easy enough to look up. Perhaps you can find the picture of
> John Wayne and the Geiger counter, I've seen that one myself.

Here ya go, with a good article:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ood-john-wayne

"The photograph shows John Wayne with his two sons during a break in filming on the set of The Conqueror, a big budget blockbuster about Genghis Khan shot in the Utah desert in 1954. It was one of Hollywoods most famous mis-castings. The duke could do many things but playing a 13th century Mongol warlord was not one of them. Film geeks consider it one of the great turkeys of Hollywoods golden age.

There is another, darker reason it endures in film lore. The photograph hints at it. Wayne clutches a black metal box while another man appears to adjust the controls. Waynes two teenage sons, Patrick and Michael, gaze at it, clearly intrigued, perhaps a bit anxious. The actor himself appears relaxed, leaning on Patrick, his hat at a jaunty angle. The box, which rests on a patch of scrub, looks unremarkable. It is in fact a Geiger counter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2017 4:23 PM, wrote:

> When mowing I also coat my hands with bag balm,

From tube or scrotum?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 12:05:05 PM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/25/2017 5:13 PM, The Greatest! wrote:
> > On Thursday, 25 May 2017 15:51:22 UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> Maybe they did, if all the same cast, crew, directors, etc all worked
> >> on the same movies. Let's not forget half the people in town got
> >> cancer, too. This isn't some urban legend, the area was radioactive.
> >> Presumably still is.
> >>
> >> It's easy enough to look up. Perhaps you can find the picture of
> >> John Wayne and the Geiger counter, I've seen that one myself.

> > Here ya go, with a good article:
> >
> > https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ood-john-wayne

> Excellent. Interesting the government set up a fund to pay residents.
> Not enough, but it's an admission.
>
> The kids talking about playing in the gray ash reminds me of people
> who tell me they'd chase the mosquito (?) spraying truck as it drove
> around spewing white bug killer (as children, of course). Yikes.
>
> >>Waynes two teenage sons, Patrick and Michael, gaze at it,

> They both endured cancer, too, according to the article.
>
> >> clearly intrigued, perhaps a bit anxious. The actor himself appears relaxed,
> >>leaning on Patrick, his hat at a jaunty angle. The box, which rests on a patch
> >>of scrub, looks unremarkable. It is in fact a Geiger counter.

> >> It is said to have crackled so loudly Wayne thought it was broken. Moving it
> >>to different clumps of rock and sand produced the same result. The star, by all
> >>accounts, shrugged it off..."

> It just wasn't taken seriously in those days. Clearly.
>
> nancy

Those trucks were mostly mosquito killin' trucks. Mostly, they were spraying DDT. Those trucks came regularly down our street when I was a kid. Thank God. We had moved into the new subdivision next to the biggest marshland preserve in the state. The local residents didn't much care for our kind and we didn't care for them either and it was quite the epic battle. In the end, our side prevailed and us humans pretty much beat down the mosquitoes, toads, and giant snails, into submission - just as Jesus hath commanded that we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uno_Bl60i40

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 May 2017 01:27:07 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 25 May 2017 01:10:54p, Nancy Young told us...

>>> Yup, Nancy, Susan Hayward died from cancer, too, as did a good
>>> percentage
>>>of others that were involved with that John Wayne film:
>>>
>>> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...n-wayne-die-of
>>> -cancer-caused-by-a-radioactive-movie-set

>> The thought of it made me laugh. He thought he would be
>> believable as Genghis Kahn.

>> He's before my time but I have wondered if people thought of him
>> as a great actor. Wooden is how I see his delivery.

>> Sounds like something out of Princess Bride that was meant to be a
>> laugh.
>>
>> Thanks for the article. Interesting.
>>
>> nancy
>>

>IMHO John Wayne was a terrible actor. Why he rose to such popularity
>has always been a mystery to me.

Simple people like other simple people. They don't have to be afraid
of them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 25 May 2017 01:10:54p, Nancy Young told us...

>> He's before my time but I have wondered if people thought of him
>> as a great actor. Wooden is how I see his delivery.

> IMHO John Wayne was a terrible actor. Why he rose to such popularity
> has always been a mystery to me.

I feel the same, so I wondered if he had some charisma that I
don't get.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-25 8:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> It just wasn't taken seriously in those days. Clearly.
>>
>> nancy

> Those trucks were mostly mosquito killin' trucks. Mostly, they were spraying DDT. Those trucks came regularly down our street when I was a kid. Thank God. We had moved into the new subdivision next to the biggest marshland preserve in the state. The local residents didn't much care for our kind and we didn't care for them either and it was quite the epic battle. In the end, our side prevailed and us humans pretty much beat down the mosquitoes, toads, and giant snails, into submission - just as Jesus hath commanded that we do.

I remember those trucks spraying clouds of DDT in an army base in the
lat 60s. It is interesting that the big push for banning came from its
effect on birds of prey. Birds at the top of the food chain were laying
eggs with thin shells causing problems with their reproduction. They
seemed to think that the the risks of DDT were outweighed by the
benefits of killing disease spreading and crop eating insects.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-25 9:27 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 25 May 2017 01:10:54p, Nancy Young told us...

>> Sounds like something out of Princess Bride that was meant to be a
>> laugh.
>>
>> Thanks for the article. Interesting.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> IMHO John Wayne was a terrible actor. Why he rose to such popularity
> has always been a mystery to me.

Amen. I never understood his popularity. He was the same character in
just about every role. They had different settings and different lines,
but it was the same character.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2017 8:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 12:05:05 PM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:

>> The kids talking about playing in the gray ash reminds me of people
>> who tell me they'd chase the mosquito (?) spraying truck as it drove
>> around spewing white bug killer (as children, of course). Yikes.

> Those trucks were mostly mosquito killin' trucks. Mostly, they were spraying DDT.
> Those trucks came regularly down our street when I was a kid.

I never saw this.

> Thank God. We had moved into the new subdivision next to the biggest marshland
>preserve in the state.

The mosquitoes must have been awful.

> The local residents didn't much care for our kind and we didn't care for them
>either and it was quite the epic battle.

That's funny.

> In the end, our side prevailed and us humans pretty much beat down the mosquitoes,
> toads, and giant snails, into submission - just as Jesus hath commanded that we do.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uno_Bl60i40

That's amazing. I didn't know they thought mosquitoes spread polio (I
saw a couple of videos from that link). That's just crazy, spraying it
right on the kids. Then they were saying it was safe enough to eat.

They still spray for mosquitoes, they're just more subtle about it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2017 10:33 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-05-25 9:27 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 25 May 2017 01:10:54p, Nancy Young told us...

>>> Sounds like something out of Princess Bride that was meant to be a
>>> laugh.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the article. Interesting.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>

>> IMHO John Wayne was a terrible actor. Why he rose to such popularity
>> has always been a mystery to me.
>>

> Amen. I never understood his popularity. He was the same character in
> just about every role. They had different settings and different lines,
> but it was the same character.

But that charcter had appeal. He didn't take crap from anyone. He was
just like the viewer would like to be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2017 10:26 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/25/2017 9:27 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 25 May 2017 01:10:54p, Nancy Young told us...

>>> He's before my time but I have wondered if people thought of him
>>> as a great actor. Wooden is how I see his delivery.

>> IMHO John Wayne was a terrible actor. Why he rose to such popularity
>> has always been a mystery to me.

> I feel the same, so I wondered if he had some charisma that I
> don't get.
>
> nancy

You know me, I have a fondness for old westerns. Never did get the
appeal of John Wayne. If one of his movies comes on I change the channel.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 4:38:23 PM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/25/2017 8:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 12:05:05 PM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> The kids talking about playing in the gray ash reminds me of people
> >> who tell me they'd chase the mosquito (?) spraying truck as it drove
> >> around spewing white bug killer (as children, of course). Yikes.

> > Those trucks were mostly mosquito killin' trucks. Mostly, they were spraying DDT.
> > Those trucks came regularly down our street when I was a kid.

> I never saw this.
>
> > Thank God. We had moved into the new subdivision next to the biggest marshland
> >preserve in the state.

> The mosquitoes must have been awful.
>
> > The local residents didn't much care for our kind and we didn't care for them
> >either and it was quite the epic battle.

> That's funny.
>
> > In the end, our side prevailed and us humans pretty much beat down the mosquitoes,
> > toads, and giant snails, into submission - just as Jesus hath commanded that we do.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uno_Bl60i40

> That's amazing. I didn't know they thought mosquitoes spread polio (I
> saw a couple of videos from that link). That's just crazy, spraying it
> right on the kids. Then they were saying it was safe enough to eat.
>
> They still spray for mosquitoes, they're just more subtle about it.
>
> nancy

My guess is that they weren't sure that mosquitoes transmitted the disease but they didn't want to take any chances. My understanding is that the polio scare was quite unlike anything we have ever experienced in our day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-05-25 10:50 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 25 May 2017 07:45:52p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

>>> Amen. I never understood his popularity. He was the same
>>> character in just about every role. They had different settings
>>> and different lines, but it was the same character.

>> But that charcter had appeal. He didn't take crap from anyone.
>> He was just like the viewer would like to be.
>>

> Of the simple minded viewers, perhaps. It was a waste of film footage.

Tommy Lee Jones slipped in to fill the vacuum.